TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #1441
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabolots View Post
I've tried using some of the encoding profiles (ff_tivo_hd) in kmttg for a couple of videos I have but the resulting file seems to have audio sync issues when I stream them using Streambaby. The problem is that these encoding profiles always have "-acodec copy" which assumes that you're just converting a TiVo-recorded show to an mp4 to save space. What I'm trying to do is convert a non-TiVo-recorded file to a TiVo-compatible file.

I've looked through the video compatibility page but it doesn't specify the number of channels or bitrate to use for AC3, it just says "multichannel AC3" for MP4 files.

Does anyone know what params should be used for non-TiVo-recorded files (i.e. where "-acodec copy" is not valid) to create a valid TiVo-compatible MP4 file?

For any of the old ReplayTV guys, I'm looking for something similar to the old VideoToReplayTV.bat that we all used to use to convert nearly any file into a ReplayTV compatible file.

Thanks...Scott
RTV audio is mp2 which is compatible if you use audio copy. The problem is RTV mpeg2 has to be cleaned up before doing anything else with it. You will notice if you transfer RTV mpeg2 to Tivo it will play but none of the trick functions will work.

The key is you need to run the mpeg2 from RTV through VideoRedo QuickStream fix (which you can do in kmttg) to clean it up before doing anything else with it.

I just tried a 30 min medium quality RTV 50xx recording (800MB):
* Original recording transferred to Tivo - trick functions didn't work. Attempting to transcode to any other format results in a/v sync issues.

* Ran recording through VRD QS Fix - trick functions worked fine now when playing on S3.

* Encoded the QS fix mpeg2 using ff_ps3 profile (H.264 video + AAC audio). Result was a 570MB file which pushes without transcoding needed to S3 Tivos and plays back fine and with proper a/v sync.

NOTE: Unless you are looking for some space savings you are better off leaving them as mpeg2 run through VRD QS Fix instead of degrading quality by re-encoding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #1442
moyekj

v0p7d version released

Highlights are new pyTivo "push" task and better control over which video files to generate "metadata" files for.

See release_notes for details of all changes.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #1443
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Highlights are new pyTivo "push" task and better control over which video files to generate "metadata" files for.

See release_notes for details of all changes.
Just so I completely understand, to enable the push task all I have to do is specify a valid pyTivo.conf? Seems easy enough.

Thanks!
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:56 PM   #1444
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
Just so I completely understand, to enable the push task all I have to do is specify a valid pyTivo.conf? Seems easy enough.

Thanks!
Yes, and obviously pyTivo server has to be running and functional and the video must come from a pyTivo video share hierarchy for the pushes to actually work. i.e. kmttg is initiating the pushes via pyTivo which is doing most of the work. This integration is a lot more robust than the previous "custom" task based method which only allowed video files to reside in a specific video share and only the top folder of that share. Now videos can be in any video share at any level of hierarchy below top share folder.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #1445
zabolots

Quote:
RTV audio is mp2 which is compatible if you use audio copy. The problem is RTV mpeg2 has to be cleaned up before doing anything else with it. You will notice if you transfer RTV mpeg2 to Tivo it will play but none of the trick functions will work.

The key is you need to run the mpeg2 from RTV through VideoRedo QuickStream fix (which you can do in kmttg) to clean it up before doing anything else with it.

I just tried a 30 min medium quality RTV 50xx recording (800MB):
* Original recording transferred to Tivo - trick functions didn't work. Attempting to transcode to any other format results in a/v sync issues.

* Ran recording through VRD QS Fix - trick functions worked fine now when playing on S3.

* Encoded the QS fix mpeg2 using ff_ps3 profile (H.264 video + AAC audio). Result was a 570MB file which pushes without transcoding needed to S3 Tivos and plays back fine and with proper a/v sync.

NOTE: Unless you are looking for some space savings you are better off leaving them as mpeg2 run through VRD QS Fix instead of degrading quality by re-encoding.
I guess my original post wasn't clear. I'm not looking to convert RTV MPG files into TiVo-compatible files. I'm looking for a script (or at least a set of ffmpeg cmd line options) to create a TiVo-compatible file from any source video file, similar to what the VideoToReplayTV.bat file used to do.

The existing profiles from kmttg all seem to use "-acodec copy" which assumes that the file was created by TiVo. I'm looking for a list of settings that will take non-compatible video files and create a file in the proper format for streaming to TiVo without conversion (and without A/V sync issues).
zabolots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #1446
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
If you're using pyTivo to transfer it to the TiVo, you might try adding a line like this to the file's metadata to make pyTivo remux it during transfer:

Override_container: asf

(That "asf" can be anything other than "mpeg", really.)

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:00 PM   #1447
moyekj

Quote:
I guess my original post wasn't clear. I'm not looking to convert RTV MPG files into TiVo-compatible files. I'm looking for a script (or at least a set of ffmpeg cmd line options) to create a TiVo-compatible file from any source video file, similar to what the VideoToReplayTV.bat file used to do.

The existing profiles from kmttg all seem to use "-acodec copy" which assumes that the file was created by TiVo. I'm looking for a list of settings that will take non-compatible video files and create a file in the proper format for streaming to TiVo without conversion (and without A/V sync issues).
There are several encoding profiles that do not use "-acodec copy" (in fact a lot of them do not) such as ff_ps3, ff_xbox360, ff_ipod_high_res, ff_ipod_low_res, ff_psp, ff_zen, ff_zune, ff_zune_hd and all the hanbrake profiles. The video_compatiblity Wiki describes what formats are natively supported for TiVo playback, so that should be used as a guide. Coming up with a generic profile that works well regardless of video source is very difficult and would not be optimal. In my case most of my sources are from Tivos and so I tend to focus on encoding from mpeg2 w/ AC3. While multi-channel AAC is supported by Tivo I would use AC3 whenever possible if you have more than 2 channels of audio in your source. Start with something like ff_ps3 profile and tweak it from there.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #1448
AudioNutz

Quote:
...I'm looking for a script (or at least a set of ffmpeg cmd line options) to create a TiVo-compatible file from any source video file, similar to what the VideoToReplayTV.bat file used to do...
I use a command line like this: (But I'm a Mac user, and I'm using a VH version of ffmpeg)
Code:
ffmpeg -y -i HardDrive/Input.mp4 -b 2611k -s 544x480 -aspect 4:3 -r ntsc -threads 4 -vcodec mpeg2video -g 15 -qmin 5 -bf 2 -async 50  -acodec mp2 -ar 48000 -ac 2 -ab 128k -ar 48000 -f vob HardDrive/Output.mpg
But... I was thinking that this particular (KMTTG) thread really isn't the best place on this forum for this particular type of question. Since KMTTG is focused on getting files out of the TiVo, it might be a good idea to ask this particular question on a thread for one of the software packages that enable you to get files back into the TiVo. I'm thinking you might get a better answers there.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #1449
dlfl
Cranky old novice

moyekj,

I'm curious how you use ffmpeg to determine the video dimensions for use with the dimension filter feature of VRD QSF. Do you just run ffmpeg -i <videoFilePath> and parse the dimensions out of the resulting text output?
If so, ffmpeg apparently does a good job of determining the dominant dimensions, correct?

Or maybe you're using ffmpeg another way?

My file source is a TiVo HD and all but local broadcasts are blocked from TTG by copy protection (thanks Time Warner). I have yet to see a video that had a dimension change in it, so I have nothing to test with.

Thanks

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:06 AM   #1450
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
moyekj,

I'm curious how you use ffmpeg to determine the video dimensions for use with the dimension filter feature of VRD QSF. Do you just run ffmpeg -i <videoFilePath> and parse the dimensions out of the resulting text output?
If so, ffmpeg apparently does a good job of determining the dominant dimensions, correct?
Yup, that's how. Can't say if ffmpeg always does the right thing but at least so far it has been accurate for shows for which I had the problem with. Oddly enough the problem shows for me are usually from one of few SD channels I record (for news programs which I like to offload to portable player and hence prefer SD version since it's quicker and quality is not important). Since I enabled this method and the video filter I've never ran into that pesky VRD problem again.

BTW, do you know if there is a setting that can be used in VRD vbs script to automatically amplify audio? That would be another very useful option to have during QS Fix run.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #1451
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
........BTW, do you know if there is a setting that can be used in VRD vbs script to automatically amplify audio? That would be another very useful option to have during QS Fix run.
No, and I don't see such a function in the help for the COM interface. I usually review cuts prior to saving and both the audio sync and volume can be adjusted in the GUI at that time.

It would be nice if the VRD folks could enhance the COM interface but I know they are busy with other things. A function to scan a video and return the dominant dimensions has been on their "might do eventually" list for a long time.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #1452
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
BTW, do you know if there is a setting that can be used in VRD vbs script to automatically amplify audio? That would be another very useful option to have during QS Fix run.
Could you maybe output the streams into elementary streams and then invoke another program for the audio amplification and then re-mux?
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #1453
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
Could you maybe output the streams into elementary streams and then invoke another program for the audio amplification and then re-mux?
For audio amplification if you have VRD you can do it there in the GUI while editing a title (Tools->Adjust Audio...) which is what I use for those that I edit manually. Also I made an encoding profile called volume_boost.enc using mencoder which can do it as well for an automated method. So there are ways to do it, but since I always run VRD QS Fix on everything along with the video dimension filter it would be nice to have an option in COM interface to do it there as well.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #1454
txporter
One sec, almost done

You could maybe add it as a feature request on the VRD forums. It might be something they can do easily. Not sure. They are "threatening" to release VRD with H.264 editing capability soon, so they may not have a lot of time for it, but who knows?

Up to maybe a week ago, I hadn't really cared about volume leveling or normalization or whatever you might want to call it. Then I started converting episodic DVDs with 6ch AC3 and captions. When I convert to stereo in XVID4PSP it does attempt to normalize the audio, but it is MUCH louder than my other conversions (it is adjusting 12-20dB). While this is DVD rips and not tivo downloads, I am interested to know what you do. Do you simply add a % or fixed amount of amplification or do you attempt to normalize all your videos?

update: I went ahead and added a thread in the Feature request forum.

Last edited by txporter : 11-05-2009 at 10:41 AM. Reason: update
Old 11-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #1455
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
Up to maybe a week ago, I hadn't really cared about volume leveling or normalization or whatever you might want to call it. Then I started converting episodic DVDs with 6ch AC3 and captions. When I convert to stereo in XVID4PSP it does attempt to normalize the audio, but it is MUCH louder than my other conversions (it is adjusting 12-20dB). While this is DVD rips and not tivo downloads, I am interested to know what you do. Do you simply add a % or fixed amount of amplification or do you attempt to normalize all your videos?

update: I went ahead and added a thread in the Feature request forum.
No I don't do equalization, though that is an interesting idea that I would not even know where to begin accomplishing. It would be nice to have a reference level to adjust to.
For my case I use my portable media player at the gym and without audio amplification some recordings are barely audible even at full volume, so I have to boost them by about 13dB so I have good volume control on portable player.
Thanks for posting the request in VRD forums.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:01 PM   #1456
txporter
One sec, almost done

I use a program called MP3Gain to normalize audio levels for my mp3s. I have used the normalization from iTunes and WMP in the past and not been happy with the results. Some of my older CDs had much different volume levels and I hated to constantly need to adjust volume when shuffling tracks. I have been very happy with MP3Gain. I would guess that there must be a similar method to adjust audio tracks for video, but I haven't looked into it.

Last edited by txporter : 11-05-2009 at 12:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-06-2009, 06:49 AM   #1457
Kaiser_Amir

Quote:
You probably have kmttg service still running, so you need to shut it down and then unzip over current installation. Alternatively you can unzip to a new location and copy over config.ini & auto.ini from your previous installation to preserve settings.
Hello,

I see that the above solution helped solve the EXACT SAME PROBLEM I'm having.

Can you please give more details about how can I shut down the "kmttg service"?

Just a reminder:

I recently re-installed Windows.
After that I moved some .mpg files from one hard drive to another and now whenever I try to run some of those .mpg files I get the following error:

windows media player cannot access the file

Thanks in advance!
Kaiser_Amir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:52 AM   #1458
txporter
One sec, almost done

The folks over at VRD responded to the feature request (I believe the alpha they are referring to is the H.264 editor, but thought it was in beta now):
Quote:
Add audio amplification to vbs script?

Jason, Its not possible with the current version although the next version, currently in alpha, has that capability and much more including automatic normalization, dynamic audio compression, simple amplification. These can all be set from the command line.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:18 AM   #1459
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser_Amir View Post
Hello,

I see that the above solution helped solve the EXACT SAME PROBLEM I'm having.

Can you please give more details about how can I shut down the "kmttg service"?

Just a reminder:

I recently re-installed Windows.
After that I moved some .mpg files from one hard drive to another and now whenever I try to run some of those .mpg files I get the following error:

windows media player cannot access the file

Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure exactly what you are posting since "windows media player cannot access the file" has nothing to do with kmttg. In any case for easy control over kmttg service just start kmttg GUI and use Auto Transfers->Service menu entries to check status, install, start, stop or remove the service.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #1460
moyekj

txporter, thanks for following up. That is great news on next version of VRD. (Of course there will not be free upgrade to next version but hopefully a discount for existing VRD customers).

Old 11-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #1461
txporter
One sec, almost done

Kevin, if you have TVsuite rather than Plus (I have Plus), head over to the thread. You might be able to get involved in the testing. Might want to mention that you are the person interested in using the audio strings with the scripting.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #1462
moyekj

I have Plus as well... I have not had a need for DVD burning for a long time now.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #1463
Kaiser_Amir

Quote:
I'm not sure exactly what you are posting since "windows media player cannot access the file" has nothing to do with kmttg.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

While googling for a solution to the "windows media player cannot access the file" error, I saw that some other member of this board had the same problem.

Since you say that this error has nothing to do with kmttg (which I have to admit I have no idea what it is), I wanted to ask if you know why this error keeps showing up when I try to play some of my .mpg files?

As I said earlier:

- I recently installed a new version of windows on my other hard-disk (I have two hard disks).

- After installing windows, I moved some of my .mpg files from one hard drive to another.

- Now, when I try to play some of those .mpg files, I get the error I told you about.
Kaiser_Amir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:02 AM   #1464
Icarus

Hey, was there a fix to AtomicParsley that I need to download? Where is it?

After not using kmttg for a while, I downloaded the latest one, installed it over the old files, and tried encoding a new episode of CSI: NY. After importing the file into itunes, the video info didn't have the series name or season number. I had to add them by hand. The show just showed up in itunes as the episode name without the series title, like it wasn't part of a series. The filename had it all, and the leftover txt file seems to have some of it, but not all of it.

What did I screw up? I guess the other thing that changed is that I'm running win7 now, and was running vista before, both 64-bit versions. Since I installed over the old files, the other support programs are already there, and weren't downloaded again. I looked at the link you posted to atomicparsley, it's just the sourceforge link and it hasn't changed there for years. I guess itunes version has changed also, I'm using 64-bit itunes 9.0.1. At least it recognizes when you change that stuff, before it just ignored your manual changes in itunes/info.

I don't seem to have any special/weird settings under configure. No custom job either.

Here's some of the txt file:

Code:
title : CSI: NY
seriesTitle : CSI: NY
description : When an executive from a software company bleeds to death on a Manhattan street, the CSIs delve into the messy world of "food sploshing" parties to find his killer. 
time : 2009-11-05T07:00:00Z
isEpisode : true
originalAirDate : 2009-11-04T00:00:00Z
episodeTitle : It Happened to Me
isEpisodic : true
showingBits : 659459
tvRating : x5
displayMajorNumber : 1007
callsign : KGMBDT
seriesId : SH679714
vActor : Sinise|Gary
vDirector : Zakrzewski|Alex
vExecProducer : Bruckheimer|Jerry
vProgramGenre : Action Adventure
vSeriesGenre : Action Adventure
vGuestStar : Krizmanich|Jack
vWriter : Battles|Wendy
vWriter : Veasey|Pam
-David

Last edited by Icarus : 11-07-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #1465
moyekj

Icarus, there were some user provided fixes for v0p7a.

Note that all the information given to AtomicParsley is based on what is contained in .txt file. Your posted .txt file doesn't seem to have episodeNumber but it does have title & episodeTitle.

Whether you run in GUI mode or Auto mode kmttg logs the call to AtomicParsley so you should be able to see all the arguments it used. Below is a summary of .txt file keys to AtomicParsley argument mappings that kmttg is doing. The relevant source code you can find here in the atomicGetArgs() method.

isEpisodic=true => -S "TV Show", else -S "Movie"
episodeTitle => --title
vProgramGenre => --grouping
originalAirDate => --year
description => --description
title => --TVShowName
episodeNumber => --TVEpisodeNum, --TVEpisode, --TVSeason
callsign => --TVNetwork

Old 11-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #1466
Icarus

Here's what's in the log. It's missing some of the fields, like the series title, etc.

>> Running AtomicParsley on C:\Users\dmk\video\kmttg\files\CSI NY - It Happened
to Me__Wed_Nov_04.m4v ...
"C:\Program Files\kmttg\AtomicParsley\AtomicParsley.exe" "C:\Users\dmk\video\kmt
tg\files\CSI NY - It Happened to Me__Wed_Nov_04.m4v" --overWrite -S "TV Show" --
title "It Happened to Me" --grouping "Action Adventure" --description "When an e
xecutive from a software company bleeds to death on a Manhattan street, the CSIs
delve into the messy world of food sploshing parties to find his killer. " --TV
Network KGMBDT

Code:
{dmk@sony:111} ~/root/Program\ Files/kmttg/AtomicParsley/AtomicParsley.exe x.m4v
 -t
Atom "ctoo" contains: HandBrake 0.9.3 2008112300
Atom "stik" contains: TV Show
Atom "cnam" contains: It Happened to Me
Atom "cgrp" contains: Action Adventure
Atom "desc" contains: When an executive from a software company bleeds to death
on a Manhattan street, the CSIs delve into the messy world of food sploshing par
ties to find his killer.
Atom "tvnn" contains: KGMBDT
{dmk@sony:112}
And I can add the TVShowName using AtomicParsley.

oh, I have v0p7d. Which is what I just downloaded.

Is there any possibility the command line is getting too long? That doesn't make sense, because looking at the code, it just skipped over setting the series name, and network name is after that.

ok, let me try a fresh install into a clean directory and see if that changes anything. I'll save the old directory where I have it setup.

Last edited by Icarus : 11-07-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #1467
moyekj

Icarus, I see where the problem is now. The metadata parser was too simplistic and messing things up when there were ":" characters in the values such as this case with "CSI: NY". Please visit this issue for details and a beta version fix:
http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/issues/detail?id=62

With the fix and your metadata file you now get this (i.e. cday and tvsh added):
Code:
Atom "stik" contains: TV Show
Atom "cnam" contains: It Happened to Me
Atom "cgrp" contains: Action Adventure
Atom "cday" contains: 2009-11-04T00:00:00Z
Atom "desc" contains: When an executive from a software company bleeds to death
on a Manhattan street, the CSIs delve into the messy world of food sploshing par
ties to find his killer.
Atom "tvsh" contains: CSI: NY
Atom "tvnn" contains: KGMBDT

Last edited by moyekj : 11-07-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #1468
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
In upcoming release I've added following line for each matching entry that will be processed in auto download mode:
START PROCESSING OF ENTRY: titleOnly - episodeTitle
So that will make it easier to find what titles are being processed in auto.log.
Yep, I REALLY like this feature! As I bounce the kmttg service, I like to move auto.log to a directory, adding date and time the file was closed to the filename. I use a command similar to this to review history:

Code:
find "START PROCESSING OF ENTRY:" "C:\Program Files\kmttg\logs\auto\auto.2009.11.07.11.33.log"
or this for current activity:

Code:
find "START PROCESSING OF ENTRY:" "C:\Program Files\kmttg\auto.log"

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:45 PM   #1469
TravisM

Quote:
EDIT: This program has evolved a lot since this 1st post and now is written in Java and much easier to install than before (very easy on Windows and Mac OSX)... See http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/ for details or visit the end of this thread for more up to date information.

kmttg is a Perl/Tk program I wrote to facilitate TivoToGo (TTG) transfers that can download, create pyTivo metadata, decrypt, run comskip & comcut (commercial detection and removal) and re-encode multiple shows you select from your Tivos all in 1 step.
You can select one or more shows at a time and then with one click of a button the program will download all the selected items, with the options of also automatically creating a metadata file for pyTivo, decrypting .TiVo files to .mpg, running comskip (commercial detection and removal program), and automatically re-encoding to a more portable format using mencoder, ffmpeg or any other command line encoder of your choosing. The program queues up multiple jobs and displays time, size and speed statistics for ongoing jobs.

For more information, screenshot and download visit:
http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/

Web page contains windows executables for all 3rd party tools used. The only other requirement of course is you must have Perl installed. Runs under Windows or Linux - tested with WinXP SP2 & Linux Red Hat Enterprise 4.

If you do try this out would appreciate some comments/feedback. For any programmers out there feel free to tinker and make improvements yourself.
Is Windows 7 supported?
TravisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #1470
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisM View Post
Is Windows 7 supported?
It runs fine in windows 7. That's what I'm running.

It's written in java. The code itself is OS agnostic. It uses some support programs which have to exist and they do for xp, vista, windows 7, and several other OS'.

-David