TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-12-2009, 01:05 AM   #1381
h00ligan

Is there currently a way to only transfer and decode certain information. I have, on occasion, to extract part of a newscast... it's a bummer right now to transfer 30-60 mins of HD video just to edit out 3 mins from the first 6... maybe the functionality is there, but i don't see it.. Cheers for the hard work!
h00ligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #1382
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by h00ligan View Post
Is there currently a way to only transfer and decode certain information. I have, on occasion, to extract part of a newscast... it's a bummer right now to transfer 30-60 mins of HD video just to edit out 3 mins from the first 6... maybe the functionality is there, but i don't see it.. Cheers for the hard work!
There is no way to intentionally download just part of a program AFAIK. However you can employ a couple of tricks:
* If it's the start of a program that you want, wait until percent download is enough to cover what you want and then cancel download job in kmttg. The other jobs after download will run and complete. The decode job will spit out an error but resulting mpeg is still fine.
* If you have have 2 Series 3 units then you can use MRV to partially transfer the section of video you want. Watch to starting point on original unit, then MRV transfer from resume point and cancel transfer at end point such that you get the clip you want on MRV destination TiVo and then transfer that clip via kmttg.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #1383
cburbs

OK I updated to kmttg v0p7b and now the only thing not working is the push. I get custom job completed: 00:00:00 exit code: 0....but nothing pushes.

If I go to my video share and manually push that file it works.
cburbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #1384
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post
OK I updated to kmttg v0p7b and now the only thing not working is the push. I get custom job completed: 00:00:00 exit code: 0....but nothing pushes.

If I go to my video share and manually push that file it works.
You have to look at pyTivo console to see why push is not working. Exit code of 0 means executing the push.py python script is succeeding, but something on the pyTivo side is going wrong. I would guess it's likely a video share related issue. You have to have a video share setup in pyTivo matching where kmttg deposits the video file and also matching the name in the push.py script as detailed in the Wiki page.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #1385
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
You have to look at pyTivo console to see why push is not working. Exit code of 0 means executing the push.py python script is succeeding, but something on the pyTivo side is going wrong. I would guess it's likely a video share related issue. You have to have a video share setup in pyTivo matching where kmttg deposits the video file and also matching the name in the push.py script as detailed in the Wiki page.
Should the command generated by kmttg be able to execute from a Windows Command Prompt? I'm having the same trouble with push, checked and rechecked pyTivo's settings. I resolved one issue by replacing [mpegfile_cut] with just [mpegfile] in kmttg. Although thinking [mpegfile_cut] would be the appropriate choice since the set just prior to custom is Ad Cut, this argument appended an additional "_cut" to the filename. I'm using the name kmttg in pyTivo, which does point to the same directory specified in kmttg's .mpeg Cut Dir.
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:59 AM   #1386
Dan S

.tivo files converted to .mpeg have sound issues

Hi there everyone, I am hoping someone might be able to shed some light on an issue I am having with kttmg. Thanks to the author, by the way, for such a wonderful program!

I have a large archive of hi-def .tivo files that I have transferred to my vista machine using Tivo Desktop. They all play on the computer fine when I open the transferred .tivo file and it plays through Windows Media Player.

Recently I bought a Western Digital "WDTV" to use sometimes in my condo building's theater room, this box is capable of playing 1080i mpeg files.

I installed kttmg, installed it, and proceeded to use only the "decrypt" function to convert the .tivo file to an unprotected, standard .mpeg 2 file, with no extra encoding. The process seemed to work and went very quickly, just 2-3 minutes.

However, while the resulting .mpg video file looks identical to the original file (as it should), the new file has sound issues not present in the original .tivo file, specifically:

-When I play back the new .mpg file in Windows Media Player or VLC, there are are frequent sound dropouts

-When I try to play the .mpeg file on the WDTV box, the soundtrack is completely silent (the video looks fine)

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I tried converting two different movies and the problem occurred on both.

Thanks!
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #1387
sirfergy

Is there a way to not auto-transfer a series if the episode title is empty? I currently have my filename format as this:
[mainTitle][/]["" EpisodeNumber " - "][episodeTitle]

So show's that don't have a title end up just being ".TiVo" in the folder of the series.
sirfergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:01 PM   #1388
cburbs

Quote:
I had to put that code back in the push.py file that you had me change --

file = urllib2.quote(os.path.basename(sys.argv[1]))
Old 10-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #1389
sirfergy

Is there a way to add a new keyword for file naming? I'd love to be able to add something like "HD" to prevent the non-HD version of a show overwriting the HD version for autotransfers.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #1390
cburbs

OK I can't seem to get this the following to work.

I would like to take my two CSI shows which show up on my tivo in the same folder as
CSI\CSI: Crime Investigation - Ghost Town
CSI\CIS: Crime-Investigation - Working Stiffs

Cut the commercials and send them back and be under one folder. They seem to show up as seperate items.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #1391
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfergy View Post
Is there a way to add a new keyword for file naming? I'd love to be able to add something like "HD" to prevent the non-HD version of a show overwriting the HD version for autotransfers.
You can always use the already available [channel] or [channelNum] keywords to prevent something like that.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:25 PM   #1392
moyekj

Quote:
OK I can't seem to get this the following to work.

I would like to take my two CSI shows which show up on my tivo in the same folder as
CSI\CSI: Crime Investigation - Ghost Town
CSI\CIS: Crime-Investigation - Working Stiffs

Cut the commercials and send them back and be under one folder. They seem to show up as seperate items.
Ask what the grouping rules are in the pyTivo forum. wmcbrine can tell you exactly how the grouping works for pushes. I think if both shows have same seriesId in metadata files they should end up grouped in 1 folder following a pyTivo push.
NOTE: Currently kmttg metadata generator has a bug where a show without episode number ends up as episodeNumber without a value in metadata file which screws up pyTivo metadata parser. So you should check your metadata files and remove such lines if you see them. (That bug is fixed in the now soon to be released next version of kmttg).

Old 10-14-2009, 03:45 PM   #1393
sirfergy

Quote:
You can always use the already available [channel] or [channelNum] keywords to prevent something like that.
That is what I did, but I'd rather just get HD in the title.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:59 PM   #1394
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfergy View Post
Is there a way to not auto-transfer a series if the episode title is empty? I currently have my filename format as this:
[mainTitle][/]["" EpisodeNumber " - "][episodeTitle]

So show's that don't have a title end up just being ".TiVo" in the folder of the series.
For next release kmttg will now check to see if the base file name built from File Naming template is empty and will not proceed to process such cases (and spits out an error indicating why).

Old 10-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #1395
DougSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Hi there everyone, I am hoping someone might be able to shed some light on an issue I am having with kttmg. Thanks to the author, by the way, for such a wonderful program!

I have a large archive of hi-def .tivo files that I have transferred to my vista machine using Tivo Desktop. They all play on the computer fine when I open the transferred .tivo file and it plays through Windows Media Player.

Recently I bought a Western Digital "WDTV" to use sometimes in my condo building's theater room, this box is capable of playing 1080i mpeg files.

I installed kttmg, installed it, and proceeded to use only the "decrypt" function to convert the .tivo file to an unprotected, standard .mpeg 2 file, with no extra encoding. The process seemed to work and went very quickly, just 2-3 minutes.

However, while the resulting .mpg video file looks identical to the original file (as it should), the new file has sound issues not present in the original .tivo file, specifically:

-When I play back the new .mpg file in Windows Media Player or VLC, there are are frequent sound dropouts

-When I try to play the .mpeg file on the WDTV box, the soundtrack is completely silent (the video looks fine)

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I tried converting two different movies and the problem occurred on both.

Thanks!
Dan S,

I'm having the same issue with my WDTV, I haven't tried anything else for playback yet. I can decode SD programs fine but the HD programs off my TivoHD have no audio. I wonder if there is some setting we need to change in kmttg. I just installed it and clicked the decode box.

Nonetheless, thank you for all your work on kmttg moyekj.

Doug

Last edited by DougSW : 10-14-2009 at 09:48 PM. Reason: misspelling
DougSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:29 PM   #1396
moyekj

Quote:

Thanks!
The decoding step which uses tivodecode does nothing to affect quality/encoding of the recording and there are no settings to tweak. It simply strips out metadata and encryption (which is why it runs so fast). You can verify that by using pyTivo (or TiVo Desktop) to transfer the decrypted mpeg back to your TiVo - it should look and sound same as original recording when playing back on your TiVo. If that's not the case then that would certainly point to something wrong with decryption process which would be news to me as I have never experienced that myself.

When you play back mpeg on your computer check Job Monitor to see if you are stressing the system in any way.

Don't know anything about WDTV so can't help you there...

Old 10-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #1397
cburbs

Ok so now I have another question -

I tried doing adcuts on 3 different shows -

CSI: NY - created a 2 minute clip of the show w/no ads
CSI - only creates a 50mg file
Til Death - 1/2 hour show and worked fine with no ads.

I tried the CSI 3 times and each time it does the same thing.

I am using comskip and comcut.

>> Running comcut on F:\kmmtg\Tivo\CSI NY - LAT 40 Degrees 47 Minutes N_Long 73 Degrees 58 Minutes W Oct 07.mpg ...
C:\tivo\mencoder\mencoder.exe "F:\kmmtg\Tivo\CSI NY - LAT 40 Degrees 47 Minutes N_Long 73 Degrees 58 Minutes W Oct 07.mpg" -edl "F:\kmmtg\Tivo\CSI NY - LAT 40 Degrees 47 Minutes N_Long 73 Degrees 58 Minutes W Oct 07.edl" -oac copy -ovc copy -of mpeg -vf harddup -o "F:\kmmtg\Tivo AdCut\CSI NY - LAT 40 Degrees 47 Minutes N_Long 73 Degrees 58 Minutes W Oct 07_cut.mpg"
comcut failed (exit code: -1073741819 ) - check command: C:\tivo\mencoder\mencoder.exe "F:\kmmtg\Tivo\CSI NY - LAT 40 Degrees 47 Minutes N_Long 73 Degrees 58 Minutes W Oct 07.mpg" -edl "F:\kmmtg\Tivo\CSI NY - LAT 40 Degrees 47 Minutes N_Long 73 Degrees 58 Minutes W Oct 07.edl" -oac copy -ovc copy -of mpeg -vf harddup -o "F:\kmmtg\Tivo AdCut\CSI NY - LAT 40 Degrees 47 Minutes N_Long 73 Degrees 58 Minutes W Oct 07_cut.mpg"

ERROR: scr 390.416, dts 0.000, pts 380.748

continious Error:

Skipping frame!

Skipping frame!

Skipping frame!

Skipping frame!

Skipping frame!

Skipping frame!
Couldn't realloc frame buffer(idx), abort

PARSE_MPEG12: add_frames(81983) failed, exit

Last edited by cburbs : 10-15-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:02 PM   #1398
moyekj

v0p7c version just released with some fairly major enhancements

New version just released with a lot of changes/enhancements and some fixes. Note that the magnitude of changes probably merits a major version bump but I'm releasing as v0p7c anyway.

See release_notes wiki entry for all the details.

Thanks for those that gave some great suggestions and helped out a lot with testing of these new features and enhancements. Hopefully nothing major is broken with all these changes...

Old 10-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #1399
spocko
TiVo HD

Quote:

On your PC, the difference is probably due to different codecs being used for .MPG files than for .TIVO files. In your case, it appears that the audio codec being used for .TIVO files is doing a better job than the one being used for .MPG files.

To manage the codecs used for .TIVO files, see here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=395047

Managing the codecs used for MPG files in WMP is more complicated. You can use Graphedit to see what codecs will be used.
Read about it here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.85%29.aspx
Google it to find a download.
You can use Directshow Filter Manager to manage which codecs get used.
http://www.softella.com/dsfm/index.en.htm

VLC supplies it's own codecs, so there there is nothing to configure with it.
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #1400
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
New version just released with a lot of changes/enhancements and some fixes. Note that the magnitude of changes probably merits a major version bump but I'm releasing as v0p7c anyway...
Thanks!
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #1401
cburbs

I am getting the following errors when trying to zip over the current files - I don't have it running at all.

! C:\Documents and Settings\xx\Desktop\kmttg_v0p7c.zip: Cannot create kmttg.jar
! The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

! C:\Documents and Settings\xx\Desktop\kmttg_v0p7c.zip: Cannot create service\win32\bin\lib\wrapper.dll
! Access is denied.

! C:\Documents and Settings\xx\Desktop\kmttg_v0p7c.zip: Cannot create service\win32\bin\lib\wrapper.jar
! The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

! C:\Documents and Settings\xx\Desktop\kmttg_v0p7c.zip: Cannot create service\win32\bin\wrapper.exe
! Access is denied.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #1402
moyekj

Quote:
I am getting the following errors when trying to zip over the current files - I don't have it running at all.

! C:\Documents and Settings\xx\Desktop\kmttg_v0p7c.zip: Cannot create kmttg.jar

! C:\Documents and Settings\xx\Desktop\kmttg_v0p7c.zip: Cannot create service\win32\bin\lib\wrapper.dll
! Access is denied.

! C:\Documents and Settings\xx\Desktop\kmttg_v0p7c.zip: Cannot create service\win32\bin\lib\wrapper.jar

! C:\Documents and Settings\xx\Desktop\kmttg_v0p7c.zip: Cannot create service\win32\bin\wrapper.exe
! Access is denied.
You probably have kmttg service still running, so you need to shut it down and then unzip over current installation. Alternatively you can unzip to a new location and copy over config.ini & auto.ini from your previous installation to preserve settings.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:48 PM   #1403
cburbs

So if I have a 1tb drive in my Tivo should the pie graph show that?
Old 10-15-2009, 03:49 PM   #1404
cburbs

Quote:
You probably have kmttg service still running, so you need to shut it down and then unzip over current installation. Alternatively you can unzip to a new location and copy over config.ini & auto.ini from your previous installation to preserve settings.
Yep - that fixed it silly me.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:58 PM   #1405
spocko
TiVo HD

Quote:
So if I have a 1tb drive in my Tivo should the pie graph show that?
kmttg doesn't know how much disk space you have, you have to manually enter the "Total Disk Space" value at the top of the Disk Usage window. That number should be the amount of usable disk space that you have, i.e. the amount of space used when your drive is completely full.

I have a 1TB WD drive in my Tivo HD. The system info screen on the Tivo reports 157 HD hours of capacity. My total usable disk space is about 915 GB.
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:04 PM   #1406
moyekj

Quote:
Ok so now I have another question -

I tried doing adcuts on 3 different shows -

CSI: NY - created a 2 minute clip of the show w/no ads
CSI - only creates a 50mg file
Til Death - 1/2 hour show and worked fine with no ads.

I tried the CSI 3 times and each time it does the same thing.

I am using comskip and comcut.

>> Running comcut on F:\kmmtg\Tivo\CSI NY - LAT 40 Degrees 47 Minutes N_Long 73 Degrees 58 Minutes W Oct 07.mpg ...
C:\tivo\mencoder\mencoder.exe "F:\kmmtg\Tivo\CSI NY - LAT 40 Degrees 47 Minutes N_Long 73 Degrees 58 Minutes W Oct 07.mpg" -edl "F:\kmmtg\Tivo\CSI NY - LAT 40 Degrees 47 Minutes N_Long 73 Degrees 58 Minutes W Oct 07.edl" -oac copy -ovc copy -of mpeg -vf harddup -o "F:\kmmtg\Tivo AdCut\CSI NY - LAT 40 Degrees 47 Minutes N_Long 73 Degrees 58 Minutes W Oct 07_cut.mpg"
comcut failed (exit code: -1073741819 ) - check command: C:\tivo\mencoder\mencoder.exe "F:\kmmtg\Tivo\CSI NY - LAT 40 Degrees 47 Minutes N_Long 73 Degrees 58 Minutes W Oct 07.mpg" -edl "F:\kmmtg\Tivo\CSI NY - LAT 40 Degrees 47 Minutes N_Long 73 Degrees 58 Minutes W Oct 07.edl" -oac copy -ovc copy -of mpeg -vf harddup -o "F:\kmmtg\Tivo AdCut\CSI NY - LAT 40 Degrees 47 Minutes N_Long 73 Degrees 58 Minutes W Oct 07_cut.mpg"

ERROR: scr 390.416, dts 0.000, pts 380.748

continious Error:

Skipping frame!

Skipping frame!

Skipping frame!

Skipping frame!

Skipping frame!

Skipping frame!
Couldn't realloc frame buffer(idx), abort

PARSE_MPEG12: add_frames(81983) failed, exit
So from error posted obviously comcut step which is using mencoder to cut out commercials is failing. If you are doing any kind of commercial cutting and your source files are from Series 3 Tivo recordings (i.e. digital cable recordings which often have encoding glitches) it is pretty much a requirement to use kmttg with VideoRedo to run Quick Stream fix to clean up any glitches in the source. Also VideoRedo will do a much better job cutting out the commercials compared to mencoder.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:13 PM   #1407
jmemmott

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSW View Post
Dan S,

I'm having the same issue with my WDTV, I haven't tried anything else for playback yet. I can decode SD programs fine but the HD programs off my TivoHD have no audio. I wonder if there is some setting we need to change in kmttg. I just installed it and clicked the decode box.

Nonetheless, thank you for all your work on kmttg moyekj.

Doug
If you have VideoReDo and have not done so, try running your video through QSF before copying it to your WDTV.

The Tivo just copies the broadcast stream for HD and digital broadcasts. This starts at an arbitrary point when the recording starts and may jump through a mix of rates and resolutions if commercials and local station announcements are present. At times this appears to disrupt the audio initialization process in the WDTV. So far QSF has been able to clean up the streams and allow the WDTV to initialize and play the audio with all the programs that initially fail for me.

jmemmott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:23 AM   #1408
bkdtv

The new version looks great.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:11 AM   #1409
cburbs

Quote:
So from error posted obviously comcut step which is using mencoder to cut out commercials is failing. If you are doing any kind of commercial cutting and your source files are from Series 3 Tivo recordings (i.e. digital cable recordings which often have encoding glitches) it is pretty much a requirement to use kmttg with VideoRedo to run Quick Stream fix to clean up any glitches in the source. Also VideoRedo will do a much better job cutting out the commercials compared to mencoder.
All my stuff is OTA HD. I will try out VideoRedo and see how it works.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:34 AM   #1410
DougSW

jmemmott,
Thanks for the tip, I've been doing this on a Mac only so far. I'll test the trial VideoReDo on our PC and see what happens.
Doug
DougSW is offline   Reply With Quote