TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #1291
emor20

Non-technical person here who loves this application to download Tivo files to my IPod Touch. Have one Tivo account for two Tivos, one in my home, one in my daughters home. Same MAK. Works fine in my house (XP). Kmttg downloaded fine on daughter's laptop (Vista), but doesn't recognize her Tivo. Entered manually, still won't find playlist. Tivo support says that having the same MAK shouldn't cause the problem. Any ideas what to try next?
emor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:07 PM   #1292
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by emor20 View Post
Non-technical person here who loves this application to download Tivo files to my IPod Touch. Have one Tivo account for two Tivos, one in my home, one in my daughters home. Same MAK. Works fine in my house (XP). Kmttg downloaded fine on daughter's laptop (Vista), but doesn't recognize her Tivo. Entered manually, still won't find playlist. Tivo support says that having the same MAK shouldn't cause the problem. Any ideas what to try next?
You need to establish at very basic level if you have proper network connectivity to the Tivo. Try the following in a browser:
http://<tivoip>
(Obviously replace <tivoip> with the proper Tivo IP). This should give you a Congratulations screen.

To get playlist from Tivo kmttg does the following, so if above works you can also check if this works:
https://<tivoip>/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=/NowPlaying&Recurse=Yes&AnchorOffset=0
login=tivo
password=MAK

If above do work then it's likely a firewall issue preventing curl and/or Java from using networking functions on your PC. To determine if that's the case you can temporarily turn off firewall and then see if kmttg works. If it then works then you just have to add curl and/or java to firewall exceptions (which normally the PC prompts you the first time they are run).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #1293
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

How does kmttg decide to run atomic parsely? I am running into an issue where it doesn't always run despite using the same encoding profile. It seems if I queue up one program it will encode and then run AP, but If I encode several it does not.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:28 AM   #1294
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
How does kmttg decide to run atomic parsely? I am running into an issue where it doesn't always run despite using the same encoding profile. It seems if I queue up one program it will encode and then run AP, but If I encode several it does not.
The decision to run AP is made right when encoding finishes successfully and will only run if exact same file name exists but ending in .txt exists (the pyTivo metadata file). It reads that .txt file to get information to pass on to AP.
Also, it will only process .mp4 or .m4v files.
i.e. as an example if you have sampleFile.mp4 & accompanying sampleFile.mp4.txt pyTivo metadata file then the job will run.

The relevant section of the code is here lines 227-239.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #1295
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
The decision to run AP is made right when encoding finishes successfully and will only run if exact same file name exists but ending in .txt exists (the pyTivo metadata file). It reads that .txt file to get information to pass on to AP.
i.e. as an example if you have sampleFile.mp4 & accompanying sampleFile.mp4.txt pyTivo metadata file then the job will run.

It seems that the AP job is put into the queue, so even though the encoding is done I can't take the m4v and copy it to iTunes. Since the job isn't added to the queue list there is no indication if it is safe to copy the file without scrolling the output log.

Also, I was confused by my test show as it didn't even have the episode ID in the metadata (oops). No wonder when I was trying to encode short clips for testing everything seemed to be working, but when I went to encode this particular hour long show I wasn't getting episode id.

I am trying another test now, but I think it will be good, and if you want you can incorporate the code I posted above.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #1296
moyekj

Quote:
It seems that the AP job is put into the queue, so even though the encoding is done I can't take the m4v and copy it to iTunes. Since the job isn't added to the queue list there is no indication if it is safe to copy the file without scrolling the output log.
Probably easiest thing to do is use "custom" job to copy/move the file to iTunes to automate the whole process. The custom job is always last to run and hence will run after the AP job when it is safe to copy/move the file.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:10 AM   #1297
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Probably easiest thing to do is use "custom" job to copy/move the file to iTunes to automate the whole process. The custom job is always last to run and hence will run after the AP job when it is safe to copy/move the file.
I am fooling around with seeing if I can create a custom job that will automatically import into iTunes. its kind of frustrating because the transcode job takes so long that you may need to wait for a second transcode to finish before AP and the custom job complete.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:34 AM   #1298
AudioNutz

Quote:
I am fooling around with seeing if I can create a custom job that will automatically import into iTunes. its kind of frustrating because the transcode job takes so long that you may need to wait for a second transcode to finish before AP and the custom job complete.
Are you doing this on a Mac, or on a PeeeCeee?
Old 09-13-2009, 02:16 PM   #1299
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:

Will the existing Atomic job run after the custom job or before?
Old 09-13-2009, 02:16 PM   #1300
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
Are you doing this on a Mac, or on a PeeeCeee?
pc, windows 7 to be exact.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #1301
moyekj

Quote:
Will the existing Atomic job run after the custom job or before?
custom job is always last in sequence, so will run after the AP job (even though you don't see AP job queued it will queue up and run before custom job).

Old 09-13-2009, 07:04 PM   #1302
rastoma

Great program and concept, thank you so much for putting your time and energy into this.

I think I have all figured out except for one thing which is probably obvious but I'm not sure.... how do you get the cut/commercial free files back to the Tivo? Does it not do it automatically?

I have pytivo running, so do I just use it to copy back to the Tivo?
rastoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #1303
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastoma View Post
Great program and concept, thank you so much for putting your time and energy into this.

I think I have all figured out except for one thing which is probably obvious but I'm not sure.... how do you get the cut/commercial free files back to the Tivo? Does it not do it automatically?

I have pytivo running, so do I just use it to copy back to the Tivo?
Yes, use pyTivo to copy back. You can automate the whole process by having kmttg "custom" job configured to use pyTivo to do a push. See the pyTivo_push Wiki page for example on how to do that.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:57 PM   #1304
AudioNutz

Any thoughts on a future feature to add a second "custom" step, for those of us that want to do two different things at the end of the encode process?
Old 09-13-2009, 10:05 PM   #1305
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
Any thoughts on a future feature to add a second "custom" step, for those of us that want to do two different things at the end of the encode process?
I thought about it a little like perhaps having similar setup to encode setup where you can have multiple files that do different things and you can choose different ones for different shows, but I don't think many use the "custom" step so that may be overkill. However of course nothing stops you from doing multiple things within 1 custom script. You can have the custom script call other scripts and/or executables so you have ultimate flexibility.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:14 AM   #1306
SouthPaw42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPaw42 View Post
Hi moyekj,
A GUI programming tip don't use colors for identifying information without backing up with other colorless way. Color blind people are much more common than you think. Adding a column stating the recording status would be helpful (I.E. Blocked, Copied, Transferring, Recording). This column would also be quite helpful for sorting.

Additionally I had some problems installing kmttg in windows 7 Gold. I had to unblock the applications when I placed them in Program files Dir and manually create config.ini because kmttg.jar didn't have permission to create files in Program files Dir.

PS any chance you might be adding folder view like in TiVoPlayList would help filtering the Tivo Suggestions from the list.
Any chance of the folder view?
SouthPaw42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:21 AM   #1307
moyekj

Quote:
Any chance of the folder view?
Perhaps. I had a working prototype at one point but it was pretty messy code so I backed it out. In the meantime I have added suggestions identification to next version so at least you can sort by suggestions (using 1st column) to group them all together which effectively gets them out of the way.
(Personally I do not like/use suggestions which is why I never even noticed how they are handled in kmttg until your post).

Old 09-14-2009, 02:45 AM   #1308
SouthPaw42

Quote:
Perhaps. I had a working prototype at one point but it was pretty messy code so I backed it out. In the meantime I have added suggestions identification to next version so at least you can sort by suggestions (using 1st column) to group them all together which effectively gets them out of the way.
(Personally I do not like/use suggestions which is why I never even noticed how they are handled in kmttg until your post).
Thanks I didn't like suggestions at first but shockingly it introduced me to a few shows I liked. Thanks for adding column

Any thoughts on the other column I mentioned below?
Quote:
A GUI programming tip don't use colors for identifying information without backing up with other colorless way. Color blind people are much more common than you think. Adding a column stating the recording status would be helpful (I.E. Blocked, Copied, Transferring, Recording). This column would also be quite helpful for sorting.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #1309
jbernardis

One other request - many times I queue up a list of jobs and then go to bed while all the work is going on. It would be nice if it had a "shut down when completed" option ala utorrent.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #1310
moyekj

Quote:
Thanks I didn't like suggestions at first but shockingly it introduced me to a few shows I liked. Thanks for adding column

Any thoughts on the other column I mentioned below?
Currently recording items are already identified in column1 with a (red) dot icon. I can add another icon for copy protected content which I can use in addition to the color coding scheme.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #1311
SouthPaw42

Much Thanks moyekj
Old 09-14-2009, 01:32 PM   #1312
limerickey

KM-- Thanks for building us such a fantastic tool! I've just made the jump from old perl based kmttg to new java based. Great progress! For what it's worth, I'm using kmttg on a mythbuntu box.

One issue is turning up for me with the new version: the syntax for invoking comskip is broken.

kmttg tries to do it like this: comskip --ini /path/to/ini /path/to/recording
The current version of Comskip requires it to look like this: comskip --ini=/path/to/ini /path/to/recording

Is the dropped = a OS specific thing under Ubuntu, or is it a typo that can be quickly fixed?
limerickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #1313
jsjames

Newbie question, sorry.
I usually convert my Tivo files using VideoReDo to Mpg format. Which setting in this software do I want to use to keep the same format as VR outputs. Also, so it can read the resulting file after the conversion.
I don't want to loose quality.
jsjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #1314
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

moyekj, has there been any thoughts about using an embedded database like hsql to manage the queue? Ideally, I should be able to recover the queue if I close the app down. I could probably help out if this is something you are interested in pursuing.

Also, am I correct in that running the app as a service is separate from the gui app. So I could theoritically have two apps doing a transcode simultaneously?

Last edited by ellinj : 09-14-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:09 PM   #1315
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Reposting this because I have been able to test it, and can now confirm that it works as it is supposed to.

Quote:
Interesting that Atomic Parsley apparently has those 2 swapped. Email or PM me the updated source file if you wish so I can integrate into next kmttg release for the benefit of others.
This is what i settled on.

Code:
C:\kmttg\AtomicParsley\AtomicParsley.exe "C:\Users\jeff\Videos\Ghost Whisperer - Endless Love (09_11_2009).m4v" --overWrite -S "TV Show" --title "Endless Love" --grouping Drama --description "Melinda gets ready for her wedding day and helps a girl who believes she is being visited by vampires. " --TVShowName "Ghost Whisperer" --TVEpisodeNum 422 --TVEpisode 422 --TVSeason 4 --TVNetwork WPRI

This results in the episode number 422 appearing in both the TV Episode ID field and the TV Episode Number field. Itunes for some reason displays Episode Number on the AppleTv and displays Episode Id in iTunes. So I added it to both places. Reading the description in the Atomic Parsely help this seems correct.

Code:

--TVEpisode    (string)     Set the TV episode/production code
--TVEpisodeNum (number)     Set the TV Episode number
You were posting the episode title into the TVEpisode field, which probably should be production code which is usually the episode number

Here is the outcome

I'd love to see this go into the released version so I don't have to keep patching the kmttg jar.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kmttg-fix.zip (5.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 09-14-2009, 08:09 PM   #1316
moyekj

ellinj your atomic.java updates are already checked into google code and will be part of next release.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:10 PM   #1317
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
ellinj your atomic.java updates are already checked into google code and will be part of next release.
awesome, thanks
Old 09-14-2009, 08:15 PM   #1318
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsjames View Post
Newbie question, sorry.
I usually convert my Tivo files using VideoReDo to Mpg format. Which setting in this software do I want to use to keep the same format as VR outputs. Also, so it can read the resulting file after the conversion.
I don't want to loose quality.
The "decrypt" task converts from .TiVo format to .mpg format. There is no loss in audio/video quality for that process. The only thing you do lose is the .TiVo metadata information (show information) which VideoRedo will also strip out if converting to .mpg.
In kmttg if you enable "metadata" task then it will create a pyTivo compatible metadata file with the show information such that if you use pyTivo to send show back to your Tivo(s) the show information is retained.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #1319
moyekj

Quote:
moyekj, has there been any thoughts about using an embedded database like hsql to manage the queue? Ideally, I should be able to recover the queue if I close the app down. I could probably help out if this is something you are interested in pursuing.
I think that is overkill to be honest and I don't think I would want to try and setup something like that.

Quote:
Also, am I correct in that running the app as a service is separate from the gui app. So I could theoritically have two apps doing a transcode simultaneously?
Yes they are separate Java entities that don't know about each other. So you have to be careful if running both auto mode & GUI mode and both are accessing same Tivo since they could interfere with each other (and possibly overwhelm the Tivo with more than 1 download at a time).

Old 09-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #1320
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
I think that is overkill to be honest and I don't think I would want to try and setup something like that.
I don't know why you say it would be overkill, its been annoying when I accidentally close the program and I need to repopulate the queue. I don't think it would be too hard, if I have time this weekend I may play around with it.

Also, it may allow the two programs, client and service to interact.

What I really want to do is create a servlet/jsp based front end that can be run on tomcat. This would allow remote management of the queue and the ability to execute an interactive and service based tasks from the same queue. While of course maintaining backwards compatibility with the existing applet. That's obviously a much larger task though

Last edited by ellinj : 09-14-2009 at 08:48 PM.