TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #1231
AudioNutz

You have to stop the auto-transfers when you do something in GUI mode, because TiVo's only allow one file to be transfered at a time. This happens to me sometimes. I haven't been able to relate it to anything except if some other device tries to get a file from the TiVo at the same time. (If you didn't stop auto-transfers, and then you are attempting to do something in the GUI)

Delete that file from the hard drive, make sure it's not in the "History", and then re-start the auto-transfers.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #1232
innocentfreak

For me I found this only happens after I reboot my computer. This is because KMTTG is running as a service on my computer. If you go Auto Transfers=>Service=>Status you will probably see KMTTG service is installed STATUS=RUNNING. Since it is running there is no need to run in GUI. If you want though you can go to service and select stop. Once stopped you can run in gui without problems until you reboot at which point the service will be running again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #1233
kimifelipe

Thanks guys for the replies, I left out an important detail =)

I have the server running, but it does not work - recordings are not automatically queued. They queue up just fine (most of the time) when I select run in gui but it doesnt seem to work unattended.

OTOH, the transfer rate is so goddamn slow that I can just manually queue up the jobs once every day or two. So, that's fine.

Problem is, I'm going on a trip next week and don't want to miss Monk and Leverage =) so I'd like to figure out how to make the kmttg server work unattended.

Is there anything I should look for? The status of the server was "running"
kimifelipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:03 AM   #1234
bwall23

kmttg v0p6j error

Second time I've seen this in a couple of months and this one's repeatable.

Download failed to file: T:\FromTiVo\Living With the Kombai Tribe The Adventures of Mark and Olly #001 - Finding the Kombai Tribe (Wed Aug 12, 2009 1800 HDT).TiVo
Exit code: 2
Warning: bad output glob!

Running latest released version v0p6j (as of July 11, 2009).

Even resetting the internal TiVo server doesn't fix it.

TiVo Desktop is now transferring it. I just don't like the way TiVo Desktop names the transferred recording.
bwall23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:12 AM   #1235
moyekj

Looks like perhaps the '#' character may be causing curl a problem? If you try without the '#' character does it work?
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:46 AM   #1236
kimifelipe

I am getting a lot of files that will only partially transfer or not at all - 4 out of the last 6 that I have recorded I can't get from the tivo to the PC. Typically I get a partially written file, usually less than 1 GB, but in one case, the file was about 11 GB - just 95 % complete.

Anybody have any idea what might be wrong?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #1237
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimifelipe View Post
I am getting a lot of files that will only partially transfer or not at all - 4 out of the last 6 that I have recorded I can't get from the tivo to the PC. Typically I get a partially written file, usually less than 1 GB, but in one case, the file was about 11 GB - just 95 % complete.

Anybody have any idea what might be wrong?
Using auto mode, gui mode or both? Any error messages? (auto mode writes messages to auto.log file). Also, do you have wireless network anywhere in the path?

Old 08-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #1238
AudioNutz

...And, to eliminate kmttg as a possible problem, have you tried downloading the file from your browser?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:25 AM   #1239
kimifelipe

A couple of answers - first, I have a wireless fios router, however, my computer and my tivo are connected via wired ethernet. I have tried using tivotogo (or is it tivo desktop) and I still get only a partial download - not always the same file length.

I have tried using both manual and auto - I can't seem to get the auto working right. There are error messages but I don't remember what they are. I will try this again this evening and I will post the error messages.

Do you suppose a reboot of my tivo would make a difference? It is a "new" refurb'd unit. I have noticed some strange behavior - I'm going to call tonight and see if tivo thinks there is something wrong with the unit itself.

btw - I understand that Michael Schumacher is actually the stig. =)
Old 08-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #1240
kimifelipe

OK, I'm confused some more =). I got home and rebooted my tivo, and went to check on kmttg - I had left it running during the day but was expecting to have to try again to download a couple of programs. So, that's excellent.

New problem; my tivo keeps rebooting (has spontaneously rebooted about 5 times now). I called Tivo support and they are going to replace my Tivo; I'm very impressed with the service; after I described the behavior I had observed the csr was very helpful in getting it taken care of.

Meanwhile, I can't say I have any problems with kmttg; I'll keep reporting my experience as I continue to use it.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #1241
AudioNutz

Quote:
...btw - I understand that Michael Schumacher is actually the stig. =)
Only if he can be in two places at once...
Old 08-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #1242
kimifelipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
Only if he can be in two places at once...
He's that fast
Old 08-15-2009, 01:30 PM   #1243
bkdtv

Quote:
Be aware that file size on your hard drive won't be the same as what you see reported in TiVo Desktop or kmttg. The TiVo overreports file sizes by 5-7%. Your downloads will never be the full size reported by TiVo Desktop and kmttg, because the TiVo reports the file size of the proprietary transport file on the hard drive, not the remuxed MPG that you download.

I think I mentioned this to you elsewhere, but the TiVo may require the 11.0d software for full FiOS compatibility (without attenuation). Recordings made from FiOS prior to 11.0d could contain enough errors to interrupt transfers. In some cases, an unattenuated FiOS signal under older software versions could even cause the TiVo to reboot. As per the FAQ, you can force several connections in a row under Settings -> Phone & Network to download the 11.0d software as soon as you get the TiVo.

I don't know what router you have, but if you are using an Actiontec from Verizon, you may want to limit your use of p2p during TiVo transfers. The Actiontec router has a small NAT table, and if you hit the maximum number of supported connections (as one will with p2p), that can cause the router to reboot, interrupting any transfers in kmttg. If you use p2p, you may want to look into getting your own router and/or look to purchase a Westell 9100EM (used by FiOS in former GTE markets), because it is much more robust than the Actiontec router -- it won't reboot when you are using large numbers of connections. These Westell routers typically go for about $50 on ebay.

Last edited by bkdtv : 08-15-2009 at 01:52 PM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #1244
morac
Cat God

Hi , I'm looking for something that makes it easy to convert TiVo files to mp4 (h.264) files that play on my PS3. kmttg seems to fit the bill, but I have a few questions. Sorry if these have already been answered, but I don't have time to read through 42 pages worth of posts:

1. Handbrake or ffmpeg? Which one will transcode faster without degrading video quality?

2. Do I need to use the PS3 profile for a PS3 or will others work fine?

3. Is there a way to start the encoding process and a lower priority so it doesn't interfere with using the PC?
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #1245
morac
Cat God

Well I tried converting a TiVo file from my old TiVo Series 2 using the Handbrake hb_tivo_sd profile and for some reason it stripped off the audio from the file, leaving nothing but the video.

Edit: Apparently the profile I used does a direct copy of the audio codec. The audio codec was MP2 audio and as such apparently isn't allowed in a mp4 container for whatever reason.

Last edited by morac : 08-16-2009 at 05:07 PM.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #1246
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
1. Handbrake or ffmpeg? Which one will transcode faster without degrading video quality?
ffmpeg is generally a much faster encoder from my experience. Whenever you re-encode using any tool video quality is degraded. There are huge quality vs speed tradeoffs depending on the profile you use. H.264 in general takes a lot of resources to encode to compared to most other formats but also can give you smaller file sizes with comparable quality.

Quote:
2. Do I need to use the PS3 profile for a PS3 or will others work fine?
Don't own a PS3 so don't know what formats it supports. I doubt it would support MP4 container with AC3 audio for example.

Quote:
3. Is there a way to start the encoding process and a lower priority so it doesn't interfere with using the PC?
If you have multi-core processor you can restrict kmttg to use 1 core only for encode jobs by setting encoding cpu cores to 1 in configuration->General.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:45 AM   #1247
jdratlif

kmttg is a great tool. Thanks for making it.

BTW: I would like to create an ebuild for gentoo. Is there an release archive that contains the source code, or do I have to get it from svn?
jdratlif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #1248
kimifelipe

Thanks for the advice bkdtv. I do have my own router and use that with the actiontec; I don't have any NAT problems afaik. As it turns out, Tivo is replacing my box, it's been rebooting frequently, so I will revisit this issue when the new one shows up.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #1249
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdratlif View Post
kmttg is a great tool. Thanks for making it.

BTW: I would like to create an ebuild for gentoo. Is there an release archive that contains the source code, or do I have to get it from svn?
svn is the only option for grabbing source code. Note that build.xml file is included in the svn so that you can use ant to easily compile from source.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:44 PM   #1250
zabolots

ff_h264_high_rate.enc vs ff_tivo_hd.enc

Both of these seem to encode with h264 in an MP4 container. Aside from bitrate differences, can anybody summarize the difference between these two? There are a whole lot of special flags/options in the first but it's all Greek to me
zabolots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:51 PM   #1251
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabolots View Post
Both of these seem to encode with h264 in an MP4 container. Aside from bitrate differences, can anybody summarize the difference between these two? There are a whole lot of special flags/options in the first but it's all Greek to me
There's quite a few differences if you get technical, but ff_tivo_hd stems from hb_tivo_hd which was a Handbrake profile a user posted that said worked very well with his S3 Tivos. Since ffmpeg in general seems to run a lot faster than Handbrake I created a roughly equivalent version based on ffmpeg and called it ff_tivo_hd.

On technical side one big difference is the GOP size (24 in tivo_hd profile vs 300 in h264_high_rate). I would expect smoother FF/REW speeds with the one with lower GOP size but to be honest I have not compared playback on my Tivos so don't really know ultimately which one is better for Tivo playback.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:42 PM   #1252
AudioNutz

Good News... KMTTG works with the new Snow Leopard OS from Apple.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:26 AM   #1253
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
Good News... KMTTG works with the new Snow Leopard OS from Apple.
Good news indeed.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:46 AM   #1254
moyekj

v0p6k bug fix release

v0p6k (09/03/2009)
==================

CHANGES
* Added \r to history file writes so that simple DOS editors can easily edit the file.
* Added more error checking for file rename following qsfix.
* Updated Atomic Parsley run to handle pyTivo metadata files with name:value pairs without spaces.

FIXES
* Don't allow folders ending in '.' characters since folders ending in '.' are illegal.
* Fix to Atomic Parsley run to strip quotation characters from values obtained from metadata file. This was causing Atomic Parsley call to crash if metadata file contained quotes, and kmttg to shut down if in auto mode.
* Fixed issue with debug mode not starting properly.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:18 AM   #1255
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
* Added \r to history file writes so that simple DOS editors notepad can easily edit the file.
It's ridiculous that nowadays, notepad can handle UTF-8 and UTF-16, but still chokes on Unix-style line endings, unlike every other editor I know. I think they do it just for spite.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #1256
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
It's ridiculous that nowadays, notepad can handle UTF-8 and UTF-16, but still chokes on Unix-style line endings, unlike every other editor I know. I think they do it just for spite.
Yup, absolutely hate Notepad and avoid it like the plague but that is what this change was targeted at due to some user requests.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #1257
innocentfreak

How do the Tivos and KMTTG handle transfers if a Tivo is currently transferring from another device? Since Tivos are limited to one transfer at a time, does Tivo pause its transfer and then just resume after KMTTG finishes?

If so is there anyway to have KMTTG check if a Tivo has an active transfer not using KMTTG to ignore that Tivo until that transfer are finished?

Also is there any way to add an option where KMTTG won't transfer a show until it is so old or flagged for deletion? Since I just upgraded 1 Tivo and plan to upgrade another, I would rather KMTTG delay transfers a couple days for new shows if possible since I might get a chance now to watch the show before it deletes.

Oh one thing I noticed was I had recorded date as part of the filename. Since I tend to duplicate season passes over several Tivos, the same show may record on different days. As a result when I would run KMTTG in GUI the same show would transfer twice just and the only difference would be the recorded date. Shouldn't history have caught this since the episode ID would be the same?

Old 09-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #1258
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
How do the Tivos and KMTTG handle transfers if a Tivo is currently transferring from another device? Since Tivos are limited to one transfer at a time, does Tivo pause its transfer and then just resume after KMTTG finishes?

If so is there anyway to have KMTTG check if a Tivo has an active transfer not using KMTTG to ignore that Tivo until that transfer are finished?
I know that Tivos do allow TTG transfers while an MRV transfer is happening since I do that on occasion. It does slow down TTG transfers quite a bit. There is no way to check via html AFAIK if a Tivo is "busy" with another TTG transfer already. If someone knows a way please tell me how. A single kmttg running limits to 1 transfer at a time per Tivo, but does not know about other potential activity.

Quote:
Also is there any way to add an option where KMTTG won't transfer a show until it is so old or flagged for deletion? Since I just upgraded 1 Tivo and plan to upgrade another, I would rather KMTTG delay transfers a couple days for new shows if possible since I might get a chance now to watch the show before it deletes.
That kind of request has come up a couple of times. I'll have to add to enhancement to do list.

Quote:
Oh one thing I noticed was I had recorded date as part of the filename. Since I tend to duplicate season passes over several Tivos, the same show may record on different days. As a result when I would run KMTTG in GUI the same show would transfer twice just and the only difference would be the recorded date. Shouldn't history have caught this since the episode ID would be the same?
Only auto transfer mode consults history file to prevent duplicates, not GUI mode. In GUI mode by default kmttg will not process an entry if file of same name already exists at destination, but you can also override that check by enabling Overwrite existing files option under File Settings tab in config. (As mentioned in docs setting that option is recommended if using auto transfers mode in case there were partial transfers due to a Tivo reboot or some other anomaly).

Old 09-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #1259
innocentfreak

Quote:
I know that Tivos do allow TTG transfers while an MRV transfer is happening since I do that on occasion. It does slow down TTG transfers quite a bit. There is no way to check via html AFAIK if a Tivo is "busy" with another TTG transfer already. If someone knows a way please tell me how. A single kmttg running limits to 1 transfer at a time per Tivo, but does not know about other potential activity.
Ok thanks. I wasn't sure. I am currently transferring back a bunch of shows to the upgraded Tivo to watch later and would rather have those continue instead of interrupting it especially since the shows KMTTG is transferring are available on other Tivos.

Quote:
That kind of request has come up a couple of times. I'll have to add to enhancement to do list.
Thanks. Yeah when I had only 20 hours it wasn't a huge deal but due to the upgrade I will be able to get to the shows easier before they delete.

Quote:
Only auto transfer mode consults history file to prevent duplicates, not GUI mode. In GUI mode by default kmttg will not process an entry if file of same name already exists at destination, but you can also override that check by enabling Overwrite existing files option under File Settings tab in config. (As mentioned in docs setting that option is recommended if using auto transfers mode in case there were partial transfers due to a Tivo reboot or some other anomaly).
Hmm ok. I didn't have Overwrite existing files checked because I was afraid I would end up wasting time transferring files I already transferred since in the end it would just overwrite them. I assume it doesn't just overwrite everything then? The wiki only said as needed so I wasn't sure what type of checks if any were performed with overwrite mode.

I prefer GUI mode because it is easier for me to monitor what is transferring or if any jobs are currently active at a glance. When I had it running as a service I would tend to forget and end up suspending my PC instead of letting the job complete first.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #1260
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Hmm ok. I didn't have Overwrite existing files checked because I was afraid I would end up wasting time transferring files I already transferred since in the end it would just overwrite them. I assume it doesn't just overwrite everything then? The wiki only said as needed so I wasn't sure what type of checks if any were performed with overwrite mode.
With option enabled yes it will overwrite any file that happens to have identical full path name. That's why I default option to off since it's potentially undesirable especially if using GUI mode. In GUI mode you have opportunity to manually delete files if you want kmttg to re-process them for some reason, so it's safer to leave that option off. In auto mode it can be very useful to have on since there is the added history check to prevent duplicate downloads and as I mentioned there could be partial transfer problems to contend with (and kmttg will not add entry to history file until after a fully successful download).