TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-06-2009, 09:20 PM   #1201
AudioNutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
If starting from Series 3 Tivos VideoRedo is pretty much a necessity since otherwise encodings from Tivo recordings with "defects" will come out wrong or out of sync (remember the big discussion not too long ago in this thread).
I thought that was only with one particular show, and my encoding processes were correcting it... Oh well, I guess I'll never buy a series 3...
Old 08-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #1202
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
I thought that was only with one particular show, and my encoding processes were correcting it... Oh well, I guess I'll never buy a series 3...
hahaha. No HD for you. (S3 means S3 or HD or HDXL.)

No, it's not just with one show. Anyway, I think vrd is working on a mac version. That would be a better solution.

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:20 PM   #1203
AudioNutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
...Anyway, I think vrd is working on a mac version...
Everyone is saying that, except for the guy who makes VRD. Saying it so many times doesn't make it so. I think that's an urban myth now...
Old 08-06-2009, 11:23 PM   #1204
Icarus

Quote:
Everyone is saying that, except for the guy who makes VRD. Saying it so many times doesn't make it so. I think that's an urban myth now...
lol, having a bad day or something?

I thought that vrd said it. Whatever. I don't really care.

-David
Old 08-06-2009, 11:30 PM   #1205
AudioNutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
lol, having a bad day or something?
No. I just think it's a rumor. I've seen tons of people saying it, (here on this forum) but when I e-mail the folks at VRD, they tell me that there will never be a Mac version.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:06 AM   #1206
innocentfreak

I keep getting the following error when I try to transfer Penn and Teller's show on Showtime.

Download failed to file: K:\tivo\Penn and Teller Bulls...\Penn and Teller Bulls...-Episode 707_Taxes (Aug 07 2009).TiVo
Exit code: 23
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed

0 31 0 31 0 0 248 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 248
0 31 0 31 0 0 248 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
0 31 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0Warning: Failed to create the file K:\tivo\Penn and Teller Bulls...\Penn and
Warning: Teller Bulls...-Episode 707_Taxes (Aug 07 2009).TiVo

0 31 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
curl: (23) Failed writing body (0 != 1446)

I am guessing it might have something to do with the length of the filename. Assuming I am correct has anyone figured away around this? I like the way the filenames are handled now and would prefer not to have to change it just for one show.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #1207
moyekj

According to curl documentation error exit code 23 means:
Quote:
Write error. Curl couldn't write data to a local filesystem or similar.
I think the problem is that windows does not accept folder names ending with dot characters. When I try and create a folder called Penn and Teller Bulls... windows strips off the trailing ....
So it looks like I need to add a check for folder names ending with dot characters.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:23 AM   #1208
krar4

I have really enjoyed working with KMTTG. It has covered my needs very well. I recently started trying PyTivo, but I don't see how to convert a .mpg file to a .tivo file so I can push/pull it to my TiVo to watch there.

I'm sure it's a very simple step, but I missed it somehow. Sorry for being a bit off-topic.

Thanks,
Rick
krar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #1209
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by krar4 View Post
I recently started trying PyTivo, but I don't see how to convert a .mpg file to a .tivo file so I can push/pull it to my TiVo to watch there.
pyTivo uses ffmpeg to convert (on the fly) the MPEG-2 file into a format the TiVo can play. Once you have pyTivo up and running, it should show up at the bottom of your TiVo's Now Playing List (check the pyTivo thread here, or the separate pyTivo forums for more help).

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #1210
moyekj

Just to add to what windracer said, pyTivo does not require .TiVo files to push back to TiVo. If you have converted to mpeg2 or most any other format pyTivo can handle it. Additionally if you create an accompanying "metadata" file you can retain program information displayed in Now Playing List as well.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #1211
robbroy

Overscanning and Crop

I recently bought a tivoHD and quickly adapted kmttg as my pull and archive tool of choice. Great work moyekj.

I am having some scaling issues when playing back kmttg encoded video. Specifically, the top overscan noise band is being encoded to video and then interpreted on playback by my TV as the top of the video. I then have to reencode the cut.mpg file using the crop function of TMPEGnc, thereby defeating one of the great benefits of kmttg's processing chain.

If I were to add the -croptop command to my ffmpeg encode profile, what would the setting be to remove the overscan line?

Moyekj would you consider the possibility of adding a crop function to kmttg. I believe mplayer/memcoder already has this function. A crop function would both solve my encoded overscan line issue and allow us to increase encode quality for a given file size.
robbroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #1212
krar4

Quote:
Just to add to what windracer said, pyTivo does not require .TiVo files to push back to TiVo. If you have converted to mpeg2 or most any other format pyTivo can handle it. Additionally if you create an accompanying "metadata" file you can retain program information displayed in Now Playing List as well.
So all I need to do since I have PyTivo installed on my PC is put the video(s) in the folder my TiVo accesses? Sounds pretty easy. Does this process just allow me to watch the videos while they're still stored on my PC, or does it transfer the videos back to my TiVo (similar to a multi-room transfer between TiVos)?

Thanks!

Rick
krar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:15 PM   #1213
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by krar4 View Post
So all I need to do since I have PyTivo installed on my PC is put the video(s) in the folder my TiVo accesses? Sounds pretty easy. Does this process just allow me to watch the videos while they're still stored on my PC, or does it transfer the videos back to my TiVo (similar to a multi-room transfer between TiVos)?

Thanks!

Rick
yes, the videos can be in whatever folder(s) you have specified in your pyTivo.conf file.

It transfers the file back to the TiVo and it will stay there until it is deleted. You can start watching it within a few seconds of starting the transfer, but this only makes sense if your transfer rate is greater than real time, which will depend on the bitrate of the video and your network speed.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #1214
AudioNutz

The VRD folks got back to me (again) today. They tell me that it is pure speculation that this would ever be run natively on a Mac platform, and that they have no intentions of ever making VRD run on a Mac.

The referred me to this thread:
http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/showthread.php?t=3560
Old 08-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #1215
seplant

My TivoHD is set to output 1080i, but the recordings I transfer to my computer using kmttg appear to all be 720p. I have kmttg set to decrypt only, not encode. Is there another setting somewhere that I'm missing?
seplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #1216
Icarus

Quote:
The VRD folks got back to me (again) today. They tell me that it is pure speculation that this would ever be run natively on a Mac platform, and that they have no intentions of ever making VRD run on a Mac.
ok, got it. Thanks.

-David
Old 08-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #1217
innocentfreak

Quote:
According to curl documentation error exit code 23 means:

I think the problem is that windows does not accept folder names ending with dot characters. When I try and create a folder called Penn and Teller Bulls... windows strips off the trailing ....
So it looks like I need to add a check for folder names ending with dot characters.
Thanks. The weird thing is the show is Penn and Teller Bulls...! not Bulls... and shows up this way through the NPL and when adding selected titles to auto transfer.

I am able to create a folder if I use the exclamation so I wonder if KMTTG is dropping the exclamation instead. Unless the main title is actually without the exclamation though it shows it with it through both Tivo Desktop and KMTTG.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:10 PM   #1218
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Thanks. The weird thing is the show is Penn and Teller Bulls...! not Bulls... and shows up this way through the NPL and when adding selected titles to auto transfer.

I am able to create a folder if I use the exclamation so I wonder if KMTTG is dropping the exclamation instead. Unless the main title is actually without the exclamation though it shows it with it through both Tivo Desktop and KMTTG.
There are several special characters removed due to problems in the past on various OS's, the exclamation char is one of them.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #1219
Icarus

I think you are right about trailing .s.

At least this is what cygwin running on vista does:

{dmk@sony:85} cd /tmp
{dmk@sony:86} mkdir foo
{dmk@sony:87} cd foo
{dmk@sony:88} touch penn-and-teller...
{dmk@sony:89} ls
penn-and-teller
{dmk@sony:90} ls -l
total 0
-rw-r--r-- 1 dmk None 0 Aug 7 18:11 penn-and-teller
{dmk@sony:91} mkdir x...
{dmk@sony:92} ls
penn-and-teller x/
{dmk@sony:93} mkdir x..x
{dmk@sony:94} ls
penn-and-teller x/ x..x/
{dmk@sony:95}
Old 08-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #1220
innocentfreak

Quote:
There are several special characters removed due to problems in the past on various OS's, the exclamation char is one of them.
Ahh ok makes sense then. I appreciate your help. I will just make sure I keep up on P&T until then or use Tivo Desktop to handle that transfer unless I am missing it and there is an option to specify folder options per show.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:34 PM   #1221
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by seplant View Post
My TivoHD is set to output 1080i, but the recordings I transfer to my computer using kmttg appear to all be 720p. I have kmttg set to decrypt only, not encode. Is there another setting somewhere that I'm missing?
The output setting on your TiVo has nothing to do with the original resolution of the recording.

Recordings are download as is. If the original recording is 1080i, you get a 1080i MPG. If the original recording is 720p, you get a 720p MPG.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:28 PM   #1222
seplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
The output setting on your TiVo has nothing to do with the original resolution of the recording.

Recordings are download as is. If the original recording is 1080i, you get a 1080i MPG. If the original recording is 720p, you get a 720p MPG.
Makes sense. Thanks.
seplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:16 AM   #1223
robbroy

I read that all TiVoHD output is interlaced. Is that true?
Old 08-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #1224
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbroy View Post
I read that all TiVoHD output is interlaced. Is that true?
Nope. Unless you've got it set to always output 480i or 1080i.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #1225
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Perhaps he means to ask if it does 1080p? It doesn't... but it does do 720p, and 480p.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #1226
robbroy

Perhaps he means to ask if it does 1080p? It doesn't... but it does do 720p, and 480p.

Thanks. You jogged my memory.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:47 AM   #1227
kimifelipe

Quick question. When I download an mpeg2 file from my tivo and decode it, the file is 1080i, right? Unless I set it to 720p? I then am using megui to transcode to x264, and if I de-interlace during the transcode, I get a 1080p file, right?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!
kimifelipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #1228
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimifelipe View Post
When I download an mpeg2 file from my tivo and decode it, the file is 1080i, right? Unless I set it to 720p?
It has nothing to do with how you set it. It's whatever format it came in from the source. Some channels are 720p, some are 1080i.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #1229
kimifelipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
It has nothing to do with how you set it. It's whatever format it came in from the source. Some channels are 720p, some are 1080i.
But then when I transcode, i make megui de-interlace the file, as I said in the second half of my message. Now it has nothing to do with the source.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #1230
kimifelipe

I am having trouble with the server automatically scanning and downloading my recordings. When I click "run in gui" it will cue up the jobs, but on a couple of occasions I get a 1 kb file with the file name written for each job, and then when comes time to write that file, the applet sees the 1 kb file and stops. Is this a bug or maybe I have something set up wrong?