TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #1171
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman31 View Post
I'm having some problems getting VideoReDo working properly lately. I have been using it for a while with no problems but the last week it has been giving me fits after the quick fix. It will run that fine and dump the .mpg file but when it goes to do the adscan it gives a message saying the .mpg file can't be found and then it leaves behind both the .qsfix file as well as a corrupted .mpg file. It's not running at all in autotransfer. I tried the settings on the wiki page and think I have those right and it will actually run fine if I do it manually from my files. Like I said, it worked fine before but haven't been running it for a few weeks and now it seems messed up.

Here is the message that it gives me when trying to run the ad scan after quick fix.

>> Running qsfix on I:\Videos\MPG\30 Rock - Hard Ball_Thu_Jul_23.mpg ...
C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo "C:\Program Files\VideoReDoTVSuite\vp.vbs" "I:\Videos\MPG\30 Rock - Hard Ball_Thu_Jul_23.mpg" "I:\Videos\MPG\30 Rock - Hard Ball_Thu_Jul_23.mpg.qsfix" /t1 /d /q /na
qsfix job completed: 00:01:01
---DONE---
(Renamed I:\Videos\MPG\30 Rock - Hard Ball_Thu_Jul_23.mpg.qsfix to I:\Videos\MPG\30 Rock - Hard Ball_Thu_Jul_23.mpg)
mpeg file not found: I:\Videos\MPG\30 Rock - Hard Ball_Thu_Jul_23.mpg

It's driving me crazy so any help would be appreciated.
It appears that the rename of .mpg.qsfix to .mpg is failing. Note that the file rename is done with native Java code, so perhaps it's somehow related to Java not having proper permissions to access I: drive when in service mode. Is that a network mount or just an external drive? There's been discussions here before about network drives not being properly accessible in service mode. I assume it runs OK in GUI mode? Also if you have videos on internal drive (C: drive for example) then I assume auto mode works fine? i.e. Try to isolate if the problem is related to I: drive file permissions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #1172
zzgulu

I am new to kmttg. I installed it on Mac and it seems it does all the jobs without error. VRD QS fix is grayed out though. All other options like metadata, decrypt, ad detect, add cut and encode are checked. The output file_cut.mpg of a 2.5Gb original file is a 130 Mb file that is not playable in Mac and when I play it on PC it shows a slow motion of the first 15-20 seconds of the original file. Is there any setup I need to do to fix this?
Tnx for the help
zzgulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #1173
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead315 View Post
I found a bug that doesnt affect most people.

I setup an auto-transfer for all items on my TiVo. I had set this up previously and ran it without the encoding portion and it downloaded an entire tivo file at which point I stopped kmttg. I reconfigured the auto download and started it again.

As it should the program noticed that the show had already been downloaded so it skipped the downloading step and moved onto decrypt and etc..At the same time the software started downloading a different show.

However, When kmttg got through and finished encoding the first show it stopped the service. This ended the download in process(which had been running for quite some time). It almost appears as though the service is setup to auto-stop when it has finished encoding. But it should not do this when another program is currently downloading.

I will add the contents of the auto.log below:
There are only 2 ways that kmttg will exit itself out of auto transfers mode:
1. An uncaught exception of some sort. This is usually accompanied with a stack trace of some sort which I don't see in your log so is probably not it.
2. auto.log file does not exist or is deleted while kmttg is running. I don't remember why exactly that piece of code is in there and perhaps should not.
Short of the above two I don't see another way of kmttg exiting short of windows stopping the service.
By any chance were you editing/renaming auto.log file while service was running when it stopped?

Old 08-03-2009, 05:30 PM   #1174
Airhead315

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
There are only 2 ways that kmttg will exit itself out of auto transfers mode:
1. An uncaught exception of some sort. This is usually accompanied with a stack trace of some sort which I don't see in your log so is probably not it.
2. auto.log file does not exist or is deleted while kmttg is running. I don't remember why exactly that piece of code is in there and perhaps should not.
Short of the above two I don't see another way of kmttg exiting short of windows stopping the service.
By any chance were you editing/renaming auto.log file while service was running when it stopped?
No. I should mention that the first file was never able to be added to the history file.

I downloaded a bunch of shows and forgot to check the metadata option in kmttg when I put them back on the tivo they could be viewed just fine but they all said they were copywrited and didnt have any info. For some reason this particular one didnt say it was copywrited but it didnt have any info either.

The first thing I did when setting up the auto transfer was I selected almost everything in kmttg and selected "Add to Selected files to history" I checked the auto.history file and it worked for everything except that show. I had to let the auto kmttg do its thing on that file first...so I was anxiously awaiting that to finish when I ran across this problem.

I have since deleted that item from the Tivo and currently kmttg is running great! I love this program. I just wanted to make sure you were aware that it stopped when it finished encoding. However, It could easily have been related to the fact that the file that finished encoding was from the program I mentioned above that I had uploaded using pyTivo without metadata...
Airhead315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #1175
moyekj

NOTE: If you use pyTivo "push" method (transfers initiated from PC) to put shows back on TiVo they will always come out copy protected. If you use the traditional "pull" method (transfers initiated from TiVo) then they do not come out copy protected.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:59 PM   #1176
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzgulu View Post
I am new to kmttg. I installed it on Mac and it seems it does all the jobs without error. VRD QS fix is grayed out though. All other options like metadata, decrypt, ad detect, add cut and encode are checked. The output file_cut.mpg of a 2.5Gb original file is a 130 Mb file that is not playable in Mac and when I play it on PC it shows a slow motion of the first 15-20 seconds of the original file. Is there any setup I need to do to fix this?
Tnx for the help
There is no VideoRedo for Mac platform (though I believe it is in the pipeline for a future release) so VRD QS fix option will not be available to you on Mac. Does the original .mpg file (before Ad Cut) play OK and is it full length? If so then either comskip is doing a very poor job of detecting commercials which you can check by looking at the .edl file or perhaps mencoder is not cutting the file properly to generate the _cut.mpg file.
I'm not sure what programs there are for editing mpeg2 files manually on Mac platform to remove commercials, but one possibility if you don't have access to an editor is to manually/visually identify the cut points you want and generate your own .edl file and then start kmttg in FILES mode and the "Ad Cut" step.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #1177
AudioNutz

Quote:
...The output file_cut.mpg of a 2.5Gb original file is a 130 Mb file that is not playable in Mac and when I play it on PC it shows a slow motion of the first 15-20 seconds of the original file. Is there any setup I need to do to fix this?
On a Mac, use VLC (free) to play an MPG file. (These will not play in Quicktime)
Old 08-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #1178
eman31

Quote:
It appears that the rename of .mpg.qsfix to .mpg is failing. Note that the file rename is done with native Java code, so perhaps it's somehow related to Java not having proper permissions to access I: drive when in service mode. Is that a network mount or just an external drive? There's been discussions here before about network drives not being properly accessible in service mode. I assume it runs OK in GUI mode? Also if you have videos on internal drive (C: drive for example) then I assume auto mode works fine? i.e. Try to isolate if the problem is related to I: drive file permissions.
The I: drive is an internal local drive. I did check the permissions and reset them so I have full access to it and tried rerunning it and also tried downloading a program and having it run on the C: drive but had the same issue. One thing I did notice when playing around is that the .mpg file that is being output after the qsfix is locked and I can't access it or delete it until I delete the .qsfix file. After that it ends up deleting itself. Maybe the fact that it is locked is causing it to show that it is not there? Still scratching my head.
eman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:35 PM   #1179
Icarus

Quote:
One thing I did notice when playing around is that the .mpg file that is being output after the qsfix is locked and I can't access it or delete it until I delete the .qsfix file. After that it ends up deleting itself. Maybe the fact that it is locked is causing it to show that it is not there? Still scratching my head.
That is a good clue. When that happens next time, see if the video redo is still running. Sounds like it didn't finish and close the files, but kmttg thinks it did?

If you are using the tv suite (it looks like you are from the log in your earlier post), you really don't need the suite. You only need video redo plus for this. You might want to try that instead of the suite.

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:39 AM   #1180
eman31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
That is a good clue. When that happens next time, see if the video redo is still running. Sounds like it didn't finish and close the files, but kmttg thinks it did?

If you are using the tv suite (it looks like you are from the log in your earlier post), you really don't need the suite. You only need video redo plus for this. You might want to try that instead of the suite.

-David
Videoredo runs in the system tray when it does the work and the best I can tell it is shutting down in between but still getting the errors. If I pull up the task manager it doesn't show it as running at all. I tried running it without the qsfix and it works ok so maybe I will just remove that step until I can figure something else out.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:50 AM   #1181
Icarus

Quote:
Videoredo runs in the system tray when it does the work and the best I can tell it is shutting down in between but still getting the errors. If I pull up the task manager it doesn't show it as running at all. I tried running it without the qsfix and it works ok so maybe I will just remove that step until I can figure something else out.
ok, that's odd. I think you'll find out that you really do need the qsfix step when you try to watch them. (not necessarily every video, but some.)

You might try vrd+ instead of the suite? (at least to try to eliminate the suite as the problem.)

-David
Old 08-04-2009, 01:17 AM   #1182
eman31

Quote:
ok, that's odd. I think you'll find out that you really do need the qsfix step when you try to watch them. (not necessarily every video, but some.)

You might try vrd+ instead of the suite? (at least to try to eliminate the suite as the problem.)

-David
I downloaded a copy of vrd+ and have the same issue. I tried running just the qsfix alone and that is giving me a good .mpg copy so it's only when they are trying to run one right after the other since it will do both idependently. Maybe I'll set things up to run the qsfix automatically and then run the adscan in the GUI.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:26 AM   #1183
Icarus

maybe it's the rename, then? The only other guess I have is to check and make sure your java is up to date? Other than that, I'm out of ideas to try, sorry.

The permissions/owner on the files looks ok?

By any chance are you running any automatic backup program like sugarsync that is processing the files in that directory? If you are, you need to exclude the directories that kmttg and vrd use. Also, you may not want to bother to backup mpg files if you are. Any other program that might be opening an mpg file to catalog it or add it to some library might be interfering.

-David
Old 08-04-2009, 01:34 AM   #1184
eman31

Quote:
maybe it's the rename, then? The only other guess I have is to check and make sure your java is up to date? Other than that, I'm out of ideas to try, sorry.

The permissions/owner on the files looks ok?

By any chance are you running any automatic backup program like sugarsync that is processing the files in that directory? If you are, you need to exclude the directories that kmttg and vrd use. Also, you may not want to bother to backup mpg files if you are. Any other program that might be opening an mpg file to catalog it or add it to some library might be interfering.

-David
I downloaded the latest Java before starting playing with it tonight and I don't have any backup programs running on that drive at all. As I said in my original post it worked fine the last time I used things which was about a month ago but haven't been recording that much on the summer schedule so I had things turned off. I had a few shows built up lately so just started using it again and ran into this issue. I appreciate all the suggestions and trying to get me through this!
Old 08-04-2009, 10:38 AM   #1185
moyekj

Quote:
The I: drive is an internal local drive. I did check the permissions and reset them so I have full access to it and tried rerunning it and also tried downloading a program and having it run on the C: drive but had the same issue. One thing I did notice when playing around is that the .mpg file that is being output after the qsfix is locked and I can't access it or delete it until I delete the .qsfix file. After that it ends up deleting itself. Maybe the fact that it is locked is causing it to show that it is not there? Still scratching my head.
So for sure it is the rename that it is failing and the file lock is definitely related to the problem. Could you try it out in GUI mode to see if the issue is there as well?

Old 08-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #1186
eman31

Quote:
So for sure it is the rename that it is failing and the file lock is definitely related to the problem. Could you try it out in GUI mode to see if the issue is there as well?
Same results if I run in GUI. I watched the files today as it ran through the process. When the qsfix is running, the .mpg file is still accessible but as soon as it is renamed it locks. I tried resetting the file permissions on the drive and the folder and reinstalling VRD making sure that was running as an admin all with no luck.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:09 PM   #1187
moyekj

Quote:
Same results if I run in GUI. I watched the files today as it ran through the process. When the qsfix is running, the .mpg file is still accessible but as soon as it is renamed it locks. I tried resetting the file permissions on the drive and the folder and reinstalling VRD making sure that was running as an admin all with no luck.
I've opened an issue on this problem so we can continue tracking/debugging there. Please consult the following to get a beta version of kmttg.jar with some additional error checking added to try and further pinpoint the issue:
http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/issues/detail?id=37

Old 08-04-2009, 06:18 PM   #1188
eman31

Quote:
I've opened an issue on this problem so we can continue tracking/debugging there. Please consult the following to get a beta version of kmttg.jar with some additional error checking added to try and further pinpoint the issue:
http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/issues/detail?id=37
Thanks for working on this! Not sure if this is going to give any further information but here is the error message.

>> Running qsfix on I:\Videos\MPG\Better Off Ted - Racial Sensitivity_Tue_Jun_16.mpg ...
C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo "C:\Program Files\VideoReDoTVSuite\vp.vbs" "I:\Videos\MPG\Better Off Ted - Racial Sensitivity_Tue_Jun_16.mpg" "I:\Videos\MPG\Better Off Ted - Racial Sensitivity_Tue_Jun_16.mpg.qsfix" /t1 /d /q /na
qsfix job completed: 00:00:59
---DONE---
Failed to rename I:\Videos\MPG\Better Off Ted - Racial Sensitivity_Tue_Jun_16.mpg.qsfix to I:\Videos\MPG\Better Off Ted - Racial Sensitivity_Tue_Jun_16.mpg
mpeg file not found: I:\Videos\MPG\Better Off Ted - Racial Sensitivity_Tue_Jun_16.mpg
Old 08-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #1189
moyekj

Quote:
Thanks for working on this! Not sure if this is going to give any further information but here is the error message.

>> Running qsfix on I:\Videos\MPG\Better Off Ted - Racial Sensitivity_Tue_Jun_16.mpg ...
C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo "C:\Program Files\VideoReDoTVSuite\vp.vbs" "I:\Videos\MPG\Better Off Ted - Racial Sensitivity_Tue_Jun_16.mpg" "I:\Videos\MPG\Better Off Ted - Racial Sensitivity_Tue_Jun_16.mpg.qsfix" /t1 /d /q /na
qsfix job completed: 00:00:59
---DONE---
Failed to rename I:\Videos\MPG\Better Off Ted - Racial Sensitivity_Tue_Jun_16.mpg.qsfix to I:\Videos\MPG\Better Off Ted - Racial Sensitivity_Tue_Jun_16.mpg
mpeg file not found: I:\Videos\MPG\Better Off Ted - Racial Sensitivity_Tue_Jun_16.mpg
It does help a little as I was trying to narrow down exactly where the failure is. The rename step is actually 2 steps in the code:
1. Delete original .mpg
2. Rename .mpg.qsfix to .mpg
So now I can confirm that delete of the original .mpg is working OK but the rename is failing (Java rename is returning "false" indicating Java is failing to complete the rename). So obviously there seems to be a VRD related process holding on to the .mpg.qsfix file at the time it is being renamed which is causing the failure.
Shortly after the rename failure are you able to manually rename the .mpg.qsfix file to .mpg?

Old 08-04-2009, 09:47 PM   #1190
zzgulu

Quote:
There is no VideoRedo for Mac platform (though I believe it is in the pipeline for a future release) so VRD QS fix option will not be available to you on Mac. Does the original .mpg file (before Ad Cut) play OK and is it full length? If so then either comskip is doing a very poor job of detecting commercials which you can check by looking at the .edl file or perhaps mencoder is not cutting the file properly to generate the _cut.mpg file.
I'm not sure what programs there are for editing mpeg2 files manually on Mac platform to remove commercials, but one possibility if you don't have access to an editor is to manually/visually identify the cut points you want and generate your own .edl file and then start kmttg in FILES mode and the "Ad Cut" step.
Thanks. So I guess my question is VRD QS should not be grayed out on PC either? I tried it on PC, installation went ok, was asked for extra tool to download for the first time, but still VRD QS is grayed out. Do I need to install other components?
Old 08-04-2009, 09:48 PM   #1191
zzgulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
On a Mac, use VLC (free) to play an MPG file. (These will not play in Quicktime)
Thank you. But even if I copy and play them on PC, as I said, I get a very slow motion play of the first 20 seconds of the whole episode
Old 08-04-2009, 10:27 PM   #1192
eman31

Quote:
It does help a little as I was trying to narrow down exactly where the failure is. The rename step is actually 2 steps in the code:
1. Delete original .mpg
2. Rename .mpg.qsfix to .mpg
So now I can confirm that delete of the original .mpg is working OK but the rename is failing (Java rename is returning "false" indicating Java is failing to complete the rename). So obviously there seems to be a VRD related process holding on to the .mpg.qsfix file at the time it is being renamed which is causing the failure.
Shortly after the rename failure are you able to manually rename the .mpg.qsfix file to .mpg?
When it is running the .qsfix there are two files. One is the .mpg file and the other is .mpg.qsfix. When qsfix is done I can not rename it because the other .mpg file is still there with the lock on it. Typically, after about a minute the .mpg file will disappear but sometimes I have to delete the .mpg.qsfix file and reboot for it to go away. When it does go away on it's own I can rename the file but I haven't been able to get it to recreate the file action consistently.

The last time I rebooted I decided to give it a try running in safe mode. It ran up until the adscan was trying to run but shut down saying it couldn't run the sound which is disabled in safemode. It did not give me the message that it couldn't find the file but when I checked there was only the .mpg file and the qsfix file was gone. I could access the .mpg file and it looked like it had been modified so qsfix must have renamed it properly.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:13 AM   #1193
moyekj

Quote:
Thanks. So I guess my question is VRD QS should not be grayed out on PC either? I tried it on PC, installation went ok, was asked for extra tool to download for the first time, but still VRD QS is grayed out. Do I need to install other components?
As documented you have to supply the installation directory of VideoRedo. It's not a free application and thus not included with standard kmttg installation and there are different versions available. Once you have VideoRedo installed and configure kmttg to set it's installation directory then that option will be available to you.

NOTE: If you are trying trial version of VideoRedo be sure to give it the trial registration number and bring it up in GUI mode at least once before attempting to use with kmttg.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #1194
zzgulu

Quote:
As you have to supply the installation directory of VideoRedo. It's not a free application and thus not included with standard kmttg installation and there are different versions available. Once you have VideoRedo installed and configure kmttg to set it's installation directory then that option will be available to you.

NOTE: If you are trying trial version of VideoRedo be sure to give it the trial registration number and bring it up in GUI mode at least once before attempting to use with kmttg.
Thanks again for the help. I ended up using windows guest OS in virtualbox on OSX host and downloading a trial version of VideoRedo. It worked perfectly within windows environment and I was able to view them with a free MP4 player on Mac. I want to create small files (from tivo) playable perhaps on an ipod or windows laptop. Do you have specific suggestion(s) other than to change encoding profile to ff_ipod_low resolution?
Old 08-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #1195
AudioNutz

Quote:
Thanks again for the help. I ended up using windows guest OS in virtualbox on OSX host and downloading a trial version of VideoRedo. It worked perfectly within windows environment and I was able to view them with a free MP4 player on Mac. I want to create small files (from tivo) playable perhaps on an ipod or windows laptop. Do you have specific suggestion(s) other than to change encoding profile to ff_ipod_low resolution?
I have a question. What isn't working on the Mac natively?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #1196
zzgulu

Quote:
I have a question. What isn't working on the Mac natively?
VideoRedo
Old 08-06-2009, 08:22 PM   #1197
innocentfreak

I was reading various forums and started thinking. Warning this can be dangerous. I figured I would throw this out there as an idea.

Since KMTTG can tell you how much space your recordings take up, couldn't it also tell you how much free space you have remaining? I have never had a need for a free space indicator but thought it might be helpful for those who want one. I don't know if it is possible to detect anything other than total space taken by what I assume is only the NPL. If it isn't, maybe add the ability to plugin the total size of the drive in each Tivo since the NPLs are specific to Tivos. This way it could just give you an estimate based on what is currently on the NPL.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:42 PM   #1198
AudioNutz

Quote:
VideoRedo
That's not needed on a Mac if your last step is an 'encode' process.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #1199
moyekj

Quote:
That's not needed on a Mac if your last step is an 'encode' process.
If starting from Series 3 Tivos VideoRedo is pretty much a necessity since otherwise encodings from Tivo recordings with "defects" will come out wrong or out of sync (remember the big discussion not too long ago in this thread).

Old 08-06-2009, 09:15 PM   #1200
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I was reading various forums and started thinking. Warning this can be dangerous. I figured I would throw this out there as an idea.

Since KMTTG can tell you how much space your recordings take up, couldn't it also tell you how much free space you have remaining? I have never had a need for a free space indicator but thought it might be helpful for those who want one. I don't know if it is possible to detect anything other than total space taken by what I assume is only the NPL. If it isn't, maybe add the ability to plugin the total size of the drive in each Tivo since the NPLs are specific to Tivos. This way it could just give you an estimate based on what is currently on the NPL.
That's what TivoPlayList already does along with some nice Pie charts etc. and accounts for which recordings are suggestions. That's really a better tool if you want free space indication. For me since I don't use suggestions it's simple to get free space remaining using kmttg by just subtracting total size reported by kmttg from hard drive size. I suppose I could perhaps track which recordings are suggestions for those that have it and do some further computations related to free space, but I wouldn't want to generate the pie charts etc. a la TivoPlayList.