TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-04-2009, 09:22 PM   #1051
moyekj

I have that same episode of Merlin. I set my File Naming template to what I posted:
[mainTitle][/]["Episode " EpisodeNumber " - "][episodeTitle] (recorded [monthNum]_[mday]_[year])

When I start a download I get (with c:\home\dvd set as my base .TiVo dir):
c:\home\dvd\Merlin\Episode 103 - Camelots water is poisoned (recorded 06_28_2009).TiVo

i.e. [mainTitle] evaluates to Merlin in this case as is expected (for my case anyway).

EDIT: I think I know what's happening in your case. You have the "Create sub-folder for each download" option enabled under File Settings tab. Turn that off.

Once you turn off that option looks like setting you want is:
[mainTitle][/][mainTitle][" - Episode " EpisodeNumber "_"][episodeTitle] ( [month] [mday] [year])
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 07-04-2009 at 09:30 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #1052
bkdtv

like innocentfreak's idea to have folder names just use the name of the show, rather than all information defined for the filename. That one, one's recordings are downloaded and organized by show name, rather than having 50 different folders for 50 different episodes.

Last edited by bkdtv : 07-04-2009 at 10:01 PM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #1053
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
I like innocentfreak's idea to have folder names just use the name of the show, rather than all information defined for the filename. That one, one's recordings are downloaded and organized by show name, rather than having 50 different folders for 50 different episodes.
That's what the [/] special keyword is for - so you can create any folder structure you want using any of the available keywords. You can even use multiple [/] to create multiple sub-folders. The "Create sub-folder for each download" option was a special request from someone a while back which I never found useful especially once support for [/] was added, so most people will want to leave that off (I probably should make a note of that in documentation).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:39 PM   #1054
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
That's what the [/] special keyword is for - so you can create any folder structure you want using any of the available keywords. You can even use multiple [/] to create multiple sub-folders. The "Create sub-folder for each download" option was a special request from someone a while back which I never found useful especially once support for [/] was added, so most people will want to leave that off (I probably should make a note of that in documentation).
Ok I am an idiot and this was my problem. I had create a sub-folder for each download selected so as a result it created the first folder as I showed and then the folder I actually wanted.

EDIT: Is there a way to pull original air date? I don't see that listed as one of the optional wordings but I may just be missing it.

Last edited by innocentfreak : 07-04-2009 at 11:45 PM.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:03 AM   #1055
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
EDIT: Is there a way to pull original air date? I don't see that listed as one of the optional wordings but I may just be missing it.
No. Original air date is only available with extended show information which requires a separate query to Tivo server to get for each show. So it could be obtained if really desired along with some other extended show info (for example right before initiating a download request for a show), but currently it's not readily available.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:13 AM   #1056
innocentfreak

Ok thanks. I wasn't sure since it could pull episode number since it would be helpful on those shows that don't have episode numbers. I just assumed it was part of the same query.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #1057
moyekj

Quote:
(2) Might it be possible to add support for TiVo's network control, so kmttg could change both tuners to predefined channels as a means to improve transfer throughput? There would have to be a timeout set between each tuner and channel change, to make sure the confirmation dialog is not hit to interrupt an existing recording.
I played around with this some today but I don't think the network remote responsiveness is good to do this reliably. For example I tried the following sequence of commands to set tuners to channels 2 & 4:
LiveTV,Clear,2,Select,Clear,LiveTV,Clear,4,Select,Clear

I used different timing from 0.1 to 2 second intervals between commands and couldn't in any case get my S3 to do what I wanted. So combine that issue with problems of not knowing the exact status of the Tivo at the time you try and do this means this seems too unreliable to pull off accurately...

This network control would be much more useful if there was proper feedback from Tivo for each command or at least the ability to get a screen shot of the Tivo easily over the network. (ReplayTV had capability of getting screenshots over http which combined with it's network remote capability was pretty useful, except there was a bug that was never fixed that some network remote commands would register twice with each push which made doing some things remotely impossible).

Last edited by moyekj : 07-05-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #1058
jbrown13

Smile I'm declaring ResetServer a success!

Quote:
If the ResetServer command does indeed seem to properly reset the server to a "good" state let me know and I can add a ResetServer command as part of kmttg for people that run into the same problem.
I played around some more and transferred a good number of videos from my TiVo with kmttg and TiVo Desktop without any issues. Your suggestion to "ResetServer" has been a total success. I'm declaring it a winner.

Thanks again.

Jeff
jbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #1059
rascal

kmttg transfer back to tivo?

Can you please tell me if this program allow you to transfer files back to the Tivo dvr? I'm have problems with Tivo Desktop. I can transfer files from the dvr to Tivo Desktop with no problems. But when I try to transfer any files back (even programs less than 1/2), the transfer does not complete.

Please advise.
rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:07 PM   #1060
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown13 View Post
I played around some more and transferred a good number of videos from my TiVo with kmttg and TiVo Desktop without any issues. Your suggestion to "ResetServer" has been a total success. I'm declaring it a winner.

Thanks again.

Jeff
Since using that command once do you still have to use it occasionally to clear up problems? I would find it suspicious that simply running that command once would clear up problems for good, so it may just be pure coincidence if that's the case.
In any case in development version of kmttg I've added a "Reset TiVo web server" File menu entry in the event that it does indeed do something useful.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #1061
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal View Post
Can you please tell me if this program allow you to transfer files back to the Tivo dvr? I'm have problems with Tivo Desktop. I can transfer files from the dvr to Tivo Desktop with no problems. But when I try to transfer any files back (even programs less than 1/2), the transfer does not complete.

Please advise.
No this tool is for pulling shows from your Tivos, not the other way around. pyTivo is the best tool for transferring programs from your PC to Tivo(s).

Old 07-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #1062
rascal

pyTivo help

Thank you for getting back to me.

I selected the link you provided and went through the forum. I cannot seem to find the latest version of pyTivo. Can you help me with this please?

Thank you
Old 07-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #1063
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal View Post
Thank you for getting back to me.

I selected the link you provided and went through the forum. I cannot seem to find the latest version of pyTivo. Can you help me with this please?

Thank you
This should really go in pyTivo thread... There are windows installer versions for pyTivo which I do not care for very much. While they do make installation a little easier they tend to point to older versions of pyTivo and in some cases to versions with known bugs. To get the very latest wmcbrine fork of pyTivo you can grab the latest zip file from here:
http://repo.or.cz/w/pyTivo/wmcbrine.git
Then, assuming you are using Windows:
0. Install python if you don't already have it installed.
1. If you don't already have ffmpeg download it from here and unzip it to a fresh folder somewhere.
2. Unzip the wmcbrine file in a fresh folder somewhere.
3. Copy pyTivo.conf.dist to pyTivo.conf and edit the file to point to location of your ffmpeg.exe file. Also under [My Videos] change path to match where you keep videos you want to transfer to Tivo.
4. Double click on pyTivo.py to start the program (leave the console window that starts up open)
NOTE: There are ways to run the program as a service as well which if you use windows installer makes it easy. Personally I don't like running it as a service since I only use it occasionally so only fire it up when I want to use it.

Last edited by moyekj : 07-06-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #1064
AudioNutz

Kevin,
Just out of curiosity, on the PeeCee side, will kmttg fire a second curl query to a second TiVo while a curl query is currently downloading a show?

This little bottleneck has bugged me for some time. When I use AutoTransfers, I see the curl queries firing every X minutes when there are no shows to download. However if it finds a show on one TiVo, and begins to download, it won't fire another curl query off to the second TiVo until the first show is completely downloaded from the first TiVo.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:23 PM   #1065
moyekj

The Auto Transfers algorithm currently (doesn't matter what platform) is essentially in pseudo code:
Code:
loop
 foreach tivo
   get now playing list
   process auto transfer setup for matches
   fire up/queue up jobs associated with matches
 end foreach

wait for all jobs to finish (all tivos)

sleep X minutes
end loop
So yes I think that is consistent with your observation and it's not like GUI mode where you can have more things running in parallel for different Tivos. i.e. It's a simplistic design not optimized to maximize job throughput, but in my view if you use Auto Transfers it's kind of a "set it and forget it" type setup where throughput is not a high priority and you don't necessarily want to overwhelm the computer with jobs.

Last edited by moyekj : 07-06-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:52 PM   #1066
AudioNutz

So you can see a feature request here, right?
Old 07-07-2009, 07:19 AM   #1067
rascal

Will Try pyTivo

I really appreciate the info you provided. I didn't understand which version to use from the pyTivo thread. I will use the information you provided. Going forward I'll address any issues with that program in the pyTivo thread.

BTW, I had a video downloaded to TivoDesktop. Somehow it got distored and I was no longer able to view it in MediaPlayer. After opening the video in your program, it works again. So thanks!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #1068
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
So you can see a feature request here, right?
Could see it coming a mile away. I'll look into perhaps giving each Tivo its own loop, though keep in mind of course the active job limit setting may still have some influence on number of parallel CPU intensive jobs that can run at a time.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #1069
AudioNutz

Quote:
Could see it coming a mile away. I'll look into perhaps giving each Tivo its own loop, though keep in mind of course the active job limit setting may still have some influence on number of parallel CPU intensive jobs that can run at a time.
I can give each TiVo its own loop right now, by simply running two instances of kmttg, but the challenge there is that they won't share a single config, or a single set of auto-transfers.

(I was once running two instances of kmttg in the 0.5n days, because I was having trouble with reception on one of the channels on one of my TiVos.)
Old 07-08-2009, 11:43 PM   #1070
manse

Just tried this out. What a great program!

But... I seem to be running into a problem after I burn this to a DVD. I use kmttg to download and decode to MPEG2, then I bring it into Premiere Elements 3, then burn to DVD. I am getting an issue where the sound gets out of sync with the picture. I don't have this problem when I use Tivo desktop to convert the file to MPEG-4 then use the exact same workflow in Elements (however, encoding to DVD takes hours with MPEG-4, works much faster with a MPEG-2 file).

Do you think installing VideoRedo and then using the option in kmttg for "VRD QS Fix" will help solve the sound out of sync problem? (Also seeing some screen jaggies when the camera pans...)
manse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:20 AM   #1071
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by manse View Post
Do you think installing VideoRedo and then using the option in kmttg for "VRD QS Fix" will help solve the sound out of sync problem? (Also seeing some screen jaggies when the camera pans...)
Yes.

Without VideoRedo QS Fix, I see A/V sync errors a high percentage of the time. With VideoRedo QS Fix, I have yet to see any A/V sync errors.

Ultimately, new tools or workflow is needed provide encodes with reliable, in-sync audio without VideoRedo. For now, VideoRedo is almost required.

Last edited by bkdtv : 07-09-2009 at 12:25 AM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:22 AM   #1072
AudioNutz

Quote:
...I don't have this problem when I use Tivo desktop to convert the file to MPEG-4 then use the exact same workflow in Elements (however, encoding to DVD takes hours with MPEG-4, works much faster with a MPEG-2 file)...
Do you get this same issue when you use kmttg to encode to MPEG-4?
Old 07-09-2009, 10:49 AM   #1073
manse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
Do you get this same issue when you use kmttg to encode to MPEG-4?
That was my next test, but I couldn't figure out which of the encode profiles in kmttg would give me vanilla mpeg-4 (I've had some issues with H.264 in premiere... I get a *tiny* amount of screen blur every few seconds in the resulting DVD).

I've been reading up on the ffmpeg documentation, but if anyone wants to throw this dog a bone and give me the commands that converts from descrypted Tivo.mpg to vanilla Mpeg-4 I'd be a happy boy
Old 07-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #1074
manse

Quote:
Yes.

Without VideoRedo QS Fix, I see A/V sync errors a high percentage of the time. With VideoRedo QS Fix, I have yet to see any A/V sync errors.

Ultimately, new tools or workflow is needed provide encodes with reliable, in-sync audio without VideoRedo. For now, VideoRedo is almost required.
I tried the latest beta of VideoRedo. Note that the vbs script call in kmttg does not work anymore (gives an error that some function is not available). I opened up VideoRedo itself and ran quickfix from there. Still had sync problems. My problem may be with elements.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #1075
moyekj

The ff_psp profile uses mpeg4 video & AAC audio so you may want to start with a copy of that profile and perhaps adjust the resolution parameter.
However the core of the problem I think is the mpeg2 source you start from has defects and it's likely no matter how you encode it with ffmpeg you are going to see issues. If you double click on the encode job in job monitor while it's running in kmttg and look at stderr ffmpeg messages you will likely see many timestamp issues being reported which is a good clue the resulting encoding will have problems.
Cleaning up the source mpeg2 with VideoRedo QS Fix will fix that.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:57 AM   #1076
moyekj

Quote:
I tried the latest beta of VideoRedo. Note that the vbs script call in kmttg does not work anymore (gives an error that some function is not available). I opened up VideoRedo itself and ran quickfix from there. Still had sync problems. My problem may be with elements.
That's a known VideoRedo issue. You have to run VideoRedo from GUI at least once before using the batch scripts. If you run again in kmttg it should work fine now that you've run via GUI once.

Try the sequence again via kmttg enabling VRD QS Fix & encode. I'd be surprised if there are still sync issues.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:02 PM   #1077
manse

moyekj, thanks for the help! I will try out your tips tonight!

And thank you again for kmttg! This is a great application!
Old 07-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #1078
moyekj

manse, just make sure to start with a fresh download or the original .TiVo file downloaded from you Tivo as a starting point. Obviously it would do no good to start from a source video file that already has A/V sync issues.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #1079
manse

Will do Moyekj!

Hey, you got a donate button someplace on your code page? I can't find one.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #1080
stujac

I agree, if he doesn't have a donate button he should.