TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-02-2009, 04:44 PM   #1021
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown13 View Post
My TiVo desktop just stopped transferring files from my Series 2 DVR to my PC (see http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=428894), and searching around I found reference to KMTTG. I installed it, but can't get it to run. I keep getting the following error:

<h2>Server Busy</h2>
The Server Busy reply from TiVo is the key to the problem - it's not responding to requests to download files (probably why Tivo Desktop stopped working as well). Rebooting your TiVo will likely clear out that condition.
Also note. It's not a good idea to have both Tivo Desktop and kmttg running at the same time if both are trying to download files at the same time. kmttg will limit downloads to one at a time per Tivo but it doesn't know about other programs also trying to initiate downloads at the same time which can overwhelm the Tivo server and result in errors such as what you are getting.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:06 PM   #1022
jbrown13

Still can't transfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
The Server Busy reply from TiVo is the key to the problem - it's not responding to requests to download files (probably why Tivo Desktop stopped working as well). Rebooting your TiVo will likely clear out that condition.
Also note. It's not a good idea to have both Tivo Desktop and kmttg running at the same time if both are trying to download files at the same time. kmttg will limit downloads to one at a time per Tivo but it doesn't know about other programs also trying to initiate downloads at the same time which can overwhelm the Tivo server and result in errors such as what you are getting.
That worked for kmttg transferring files. Any chance you could solve my original problem (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...php?t=428894)?

Thanks.
jbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:16 PM   #1023
moyekj

Quote:
That worked for kmttg transferring files. Any chance you could solve my original problem (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...php?t=428894)?
No, sorry. My dislike for Tivo Desktop is in part what motivated me to start kmttg in the first place, so I don't use it. Using 3rd party apps such as pyTivo, kmttg, streambaby and others can give you most of the Tivo Desktop Plus functionality plus a lot more anyway if you are willing to spend some time installing and learning how to use them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #1024
jbrown13

Quote:
No, sorry. My dislike for Tivo Desktop is in part what motivated me to start kmttg in the first place, so I don't use it. Using 3rd party apps such as pyTivo, kmttg, streambaby and others can give you most of the Tivo Desktop Plus functionality plus a lot more anyway if you are willing to spend some time installing and learning how to use them.
OK. I got kmttg working, but pyTiVo is another conundrum. I can't seem to see my video files on my computer from my TiVo. Any suggestions for this dumba$$?

Thanks.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:38 PM   #1025
moyekj

Quote:
OK. I got kmttg working, but pyTiVo is another conundrum. I can't seem to see my video files on my computer from my TiVo. Any suggestions for this dumba$$?

Thanks.
pyTivo thread is the appropriate thread for pyTivo questions, or pyTivo forum. If you haven't done so, at bare minimum you have to make a pyTivo.conf file (start with a copy of pyTivo.conf.dist file which comes with installation) and define a video share section with the full path to where to look for your videos, for example:
Code:
[My Videos]
type=video
path=c:\videos

Old 07-02-2009, 06:32 PM   #1026
jbrown13

Wink pyTiVo Working

Quote:

Thanks.
I got it working and it was definitely a bonehead move on my part that caused the problem.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #1027
bkdtv

Several possibilities....

(1) Can you detect and set the default TiVo Recordings folder (assuming TiVo Desktop was previously installed) on Windows and OSX?

(2) Might it be possible to add support for TiVo's network control, so kmttg could change both tuners to predefined channels as a means to improve transfer throughput? There would have to be a timeout set between each tuner and channel change, to make sure the confirmation dialog is not hit to interrupt an existing recording.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:05 PM   #1028
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
(1) Can you detect and set the default TiVo Recordings folder (assuming TiVo Desktop was previously installed) on Windows and OSX?

(2) Might it be possible to add support for TiVo's network control, so kmttg could change both tuners to predefined channels as a means to improve transfer throughput? There would have to be a timeout set between each tuner and channel change, to make sure the confirmation dialog is not hit to interrupt an existing recording.
(1) Don't know, maybe on Windows if there is a registry entry, no clue about OSX. It's pretty easy to set it once in kmttg and then forget about it though no?
(2) Possible, but of course restricted to series 3 units. I've seen for MRV it can make quite a difference in speedup but does it really have a big impact on TTG?

A real performance booster would be to figure out how to decrypt files downloaded with &Format=video%2Fx-tivo-raw-tts formatting which gives you MRV speeds (i.e. about double TTG speeds). I think that resulting file is a mpeg2 transport stream wrapped in encryption of some sort (but not something that tivodecode can decrypt, though perhaps some variation on tivodecode may do it). I don't know enough about transport streams and encryption code to attempt such a project myself...

Old 07-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #1029
Icarus

never mind, you already found the problem. I didn't see the other replies.

Last edited by Icarus : 07-02-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #1030
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
A real performance booster would be to figure out how to decrypt files downloaded with &Format=video%2Fx-tivo-raw-tts
Or, files with Format=video/x-tivo-mpeg&System=ts. Those come out as some kind of .TiVo variant, and tivodecode can even extract the metadata from them, but beyond that it segfaults. Blazing fast, but useless... can't even feed them back to the TiVo.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:28 AM   #1031
smithcferg

Works great

moyekj

The SRTFILE variable that you added and the t2extract option line is exactly what I needed to get hardsubs working! The last time that I tried something like thit it was so complicated to run the chain of programs necessary to do it that I never used it. This is something that is simple and just works.

Thanks so much. And my wife thanks you.

A. Issues

I.
One new small cosmetic issue: The formatting of the "Programs" tab dialogue in "Configure . . ." looks damaged. The field column is unusually narrow.

II.
One old small cosmetic issue:
It is hard to read the black text on red background that is in the "configure" dialogue on error conditions and on the [cancel] button. This makes it hard for me to correct errors.

B. Questions?
I.
How can I queue up different jobs with different profiles for the same TIVO? If not there yet, is this a feature you can add?

C. Feature request

I.
Can you create a [profile] variable for the custom command? So if a custom command is for example "custom.bat [profile] [mpgFile] [encodeFile]", the batch file will be able to decide what actions to take based on the [profile] that had been used, perhaps using a "case" statement?

II.
Any hope of this becoming an HMO app, so that I could select from among several profiles for a show in a now playing list using my remote, similar to Galleon (but with this app it would be way better!)

Will reference these in the Wiki.

Again thanks. You are doing a good job with this.

Sincerely,

Craig
smithcferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #1032
jbrown13

Angry kmttg stopped working

Quote:

Thanks.
Today it went back to the server busy error. I've tried rebooting everything and shutting down pyTiVo, but I still get the server busy error. I'm back to square one.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #1033
moyekj

Quote:
Today it went back to the server busy error. I've tried rebooting everything and shutting down pyTiVo, but I still get the server busy error. I'm back to square one.

Any suggestions?
Do you still have Tivo Desktop running or something else that is trying to access your Tivo to download programs?

Old 07-03-2009, 11:37 AM   #1034
jbrown13

No

TiVo Desktop has been uninstalled as of yesterday when I got things working. It appears kmttg will only allow one transfer from the TiVo and then I get the server busy error.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #1035
jbrown13

Quote:
Do you still have Tivo Desktop running or something else that is trying to access your Tivo to download programs?
I rebooted my TiVo again and kmttg has begun working again. It remains to be seen if I can transfer a second video without rebooting the TiVo once or twice. Go figure.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:48 AM   #1036
Icarus

Your problem has nothing to do with kmttg.

-David
Old 07-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #1037
jbrown13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Your problem has nothing to do with kmttg.

-David
I learned a long time ago that nothing is as black and white as the statement above. kmttg may not be the cause of the problem, but the fact that it won't work as intended means that it does have something to do with kmttg. My experience with TiVo software has been one of constant bugs and missteps, and the fact that thay updated my DVR software on July 1 or 2 is most likely the cause of the problems with TiVo Desktop and kmttg.

Jeff
Old 07-03-2009, 02:10 PM   #1038
jbrown13

kmttg stopped working again

I've rebooted both my PC and my DVR multiple times to no avail. Now when I try to transfer an .mpg file from my TiVo to my PC the timer runs but the amount transferred never leaves zero. If I cancel that transfer and try another transfer without rebooting I get the "server busy" error. If I reboot both again the same thing occurs again and again.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:12 PM   #1039
moyekj

jbrown13, I don't know if it really does anything but it may be worth a shot. Next time you get a failed download because of Server Busy message try the following with your browser to see if it fixes it:
Code:
http://<ip>/TiVoConnect?Command=ResetServer
Obviously replace <ip> with the real TiVo IP such as 192.168.1.107
(If prompted for login the username is tivo, password is your 10 digit MAK).

When I run on my Tivos it takes several seconds but eventually completes. If when you run the above it times out in your browser or returns an error of some sort then that indicates a problem of some sort maybe with your networking setup or your Tivo.

P.S. TiVo HMO documentation dated 2003 has a description of the above which states at the time it should have no effect but in future may be useful or even required:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMO documentation
This command clears the Server's internal state.
http://{machine}/TiVoConnect?Command=ResetServer
Every Client should issue a ResetServer command as soon as possible after it has finished with
the Server. This will allow the Server to release memory and any other resources associated with
internal "session" state maintained for the Client. This command can also be used to put the
Server into a known state before use.
This command has no parameters.
The TiVo DVR does not currently use this command. In the future, this command may be
supported or even required by the TiVo DVR. Implementation of this command is a requirement
for future-safe Server design.

Last edited by moyekj : 07-03-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #1040
Icarus

Quote:
I learned a long time ago that nothing is as black and white as the statement above. kmttg may not be the cause of the problem, but the fact that it won't work as intended means that it does have something to do with kmttg. My experience with TiVo software has been one of constant bugs and missteps, and the fact that thay updated my DVR software on July 1 or 2 is most likely the cause of the problems with TiVo Desktop and kmttg.

Jeff
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you started with Tivo Desktop and a "server busy" problem, then installed kmttg hoping that would solve that problem. Is that correct?

All of the programs that transfer tv shows from your tivo to another device use the same method for the transfer. If kmttg wasn't working, and the others were working, that would be a different story.

If you want to eliminate Tivo Desktop and kmttg, just use the browser method. Once you solve the server busy problem, then any of the other methods will work.

-David
Old 07-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #1041
spocko
TiVo HD

I'm playing with the trial version of VideoRedo TVS on Vista, and the integration with kmttg doesn't seem to work. I get error messages like the following. Any ideas? Thanks.

Code:
>> Running qsfix on C:\Users\user\Videos\Flipper.mpg ...
C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo "C:\Program Files\VideoReDo\vp.vbs" C:\Users\user\Videos\Flipper.mpg C:\Users\user\Videos\Flipper.mpg.qsfix /t1 /d /q /na 
qsfix failed (exit code: 0 ) - check command: C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo "C:\Program Files\VideoReDo\vp.vbs" C:\Users\user\Videos\Flipper.mpg C:\Users\user\Videos\Flipper.mpg.qsfix /t1 /d /q /na 
C:\Program Files\VideoReDo\vp.vbs(45, 2) WScript.CreateObject: Could not locate automation class named "VideoReDo.VideoReDoSilent".
-----------------------------

UPDATE:
Problem solved! It's not a kmttg issue. VideoRedo has to be run as an administrator at least once in order to register the necessary components. After that, it works great.

Last edited by spocko : 07-03-2009 at 06:14 PM.
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:46 PM   #1042
jbrown13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you started with Tivo Desktop and a "server busy" problem, then installed kmttg hoping that would solve that problem. Is that correct?

All of the programs that transfer tv shows from your tivo to another device use the same method for the transfer. If kmttg wasn't working, and the others were working, that would be a different story.

If you want to eliminate Tivo Desktop and kmttg, just use the browser method. Once you solve the server busy problem, then any of the other methods will work.

-David
It would be much more helpful if you would suggest solutions to the problem instead of redefining the problem. I think we all know there is a problem. The conundrum is how to fix it.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #1043
Icarus

Quote:
It would be much more helpful if you would suggest solutions to the problem instead of redefining the problem. I think we all know there is a problem. The conundrum is how to fix it.
Well, you said it *was* related to kmttg, so I had to restate where we were. Have you tried the browser method?

http://www.tivoblog.com/archives/200...r-web-browser/

Anyway, there's a bunch of people that watch this thread for information on kmttg, and get notified when there's replies here.

So, please, start another thread in the right place. People will help you. If you do that, come back here and add a link to your new thread to this thread.

Seriously, it's the right thing to do. The members here will help you.

-David

Last edited by Icarus : 07-03-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #1044
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spocko View Post
I'm playing with the trial version VideoRedo TVS on Vista, and the integration with kmttg doesn't seem to work. I get error messages like the following. Any ideas? Thanks.
I'm using vista with vrd plus. That's one difference, I don't think you need the entire suite. The only other difference I noticed is that vrd+ installed in "Program File (x86)", not in "Program Files". Is the pathname correct in your configuration?

-David
Old 07-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #1045
jbrown13

Problem appears to be solved

See http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=428894
Old 07-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #1046
moyekj

Quote:
If the ResetServer command does indeed seem to properly reset the server to a "good" state let me know and I can add a ResetServer command as part of kmttg for people that run into the same problem.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #1047
jbrown13

Quote:
If the ResetServer command does indeed seem to properly reset the server to a "good" state let me know and I can add a ResetServer command as part of kmttg for people that run into the same problem.
It appears that the command you suggested has solved my problem. Of course, I'm only a day or so into the apparent success, so I can't unequivocally say it has worked. But, it sure gives me hope.

Thanks.

Jeff
Old 07-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #1048
innocentfreak

I thought I set it up correctly but I am having issues trying to output in the folder and file naming structure I want.

I am trying to set it up so the shows go into their own basic title folder with either more specific subfolders or files.

For example...
Folder: The Life and Times of Tim
File or subfolder: Episode 5 - Tim, Stu, and Marie:Miss February (recorded 7/4/09)

I tried both title and maintitle but they both label the folder as The Life and Times of Tim - Tim, Stu and Marie Miss February_Fri_Jul_03. Am I missing something or will it always pull the full description as the title and maintitle?

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #1049
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I thought I set it up correctly but I am having issues trying to output in the folder and file naming structure I want.

I am trying to set it up so the shows go into their own basic title folder with either more specific subfolders or files.

For example...
Folder: The Life and Times of Tim
File or subfolder: Episode 5 - Tim, Stu, and Marie:Miss February (recorded 7/4/09)

I tried both title and maintitle but they both label the folder as The Life and Times of Tim - Tim, Stu and Marie Miss February_Fri_Jul_03. Am I missing something or will it always pull the full description as the title and maintitle?
You want to do something like this for File Naming setting:
[mainTitle][/]["Episode " EpisodeNumber " - "][episodeTitle] (recorded [monthNum]_[mday]_[year])

NOTE: I use underscores for monthNum_mday_year because '/' is a special character not allowed in file names.
NOTE: [/] has special meaning to kmttg to create a folder structure as documented in configuring_kmttg Wiki page.
NOTE: The whole Episode portion is advanced file naming structure that will only appear in the file name if Episode number exists for that show.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:01 PM   #1050
innocentfreak

This is what I have...
[mainTitle][/][title]_["Episode " EpisodeNumber "_"][episodeTitle] ([month] [mday] [year])

This results in
K:\tivo\Merlin - Camelots water is poisoned_Episode 103_Camelots water is poisoned (Jun 28 2009)\Merlin\Merlin - Camelots water is poisoned_Episode 103_Camelots water is poisoned (Jun 28 2009).TiVo

Here is what I am aiming for
K:\tivo\Merlin\Merlin - Episode 103_Camelots water is poisoned (Jun 28 2009).TiVo

If I can get it so it just creates the first folder as the name of the series I can play with the rest until I find something I like.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote