TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-20-2009, 03:06 AM   #931
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
v0.6f (06/19/2009)

As a side note for VideoRedo users:
I can't seem to get VideoRedo "adcut" job to run in service mode under Windows Vista.
To be more specific, the job launches but just sits there idle doing nothing, and I have to kill it using Task Manager or it never exits.
Yet other VideoRedo jobs such as "qsfix" run fine on same machine in service mode.

On a Windows XP job all VideoRedo jobs run fine in service mode including "adcut", so it's not a general Windows service issue.
(On both computers I configured services to be run as a user account as described in Wiki page).

So I'm just wondering if it's just me, or a Vista problem? If it is a general problem then I can make a change to
use "mencoder" to do cuts instead when in service mode which is why I ask...
It just ran the vrd ad-cut job after the manual review of one program and it ran and exited fine for me. I'm running vista 64-bit, using the latest version of kmttg.

I have seen it misbehave once or twice with TVAP and kmttg. Sometimes after it starts it in service mode, it gets confused and opens the UI. Also, if you cancel a job when vrd is running, I've had to manually kill the process with taskmgr. That left over process will screw everything up if you try running another job when it tries to run vrd. I've seen some other odd behavior in service mode, for example, once in a while it pops up the window telling me how many frames were read and how many written and waits for me to hit ok, which is very strange when it's in service mode. So, yeah, there's some oddness with vrd, but most of the time it runs fine in service mode.

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:07 AM   #932
spocko
TiVo HD

Quote:
Yes jobs in kmttg in are setup to run in parallel. ...
Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like the job handling is pretty optimal already, even better than what I described, good work!

Last edited by spocko : 06-20-2009 at 03:16 AM.
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #933
krar4

KM,

I really appreciate how easy you've made it to download & convert .tivo files to .mpg files for my Archos 5 player. KMTTG is an incredibly helpful program.

We are now considering buying the 32GB Apple Ipod Touch for my daughter. Will my current process work just as easily with the Ipod Touch player? I think it should. The player description says the Touch plays .mpg and H264 video files.

I'd appreciate any feedback from any Touch users on the forum.

Thanks,
Rick
krar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #934
AudioNutz

Rick,
I do all my conversions for an iPod 5G. My guess is that the only difference is the size (W & H) of the screen. I'm encoding at 320x240 for the 5G, but the touch can allow 480x320.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:32 PM   #935
moyekj

I don't own iPod or iTouch so can't verify it personally, but there are 4 ipod profiles that probably fit the bill (and probably any one of them would work):
using ffmpeg:
ff_ipod_low_res is for 320x240 resolution (i.e. 320 horizontal resolution)
ff_ipod_high_res is for 640x480 resolution (i.e. 640 horizontal resolution)

using handbrake:
hb_ipod is for 320 horizontal resolution (vertical resolution is scaled to preserve proper aspect ratio)
hb_iphone is for 480 horizontal resolution (vertical resolution is scaled to preserve proper aspect ratio)

Plus of course you can always make/customize your own profile for specific needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #936
Icarus

I have an ipod touch. I use handbrake with the hb_iphone profile.

The ipod touch has the same screen as the iphone.

-David

Last edited by Icarus : 06-22-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:41 PM   #937
moyekj

This reminds me and I'm surprised haven't heard any complaints about it - for cases when ffmpeg has a specific resolution set depending on the resolution of the source mpeg the resulting encoding may end up stretched one way or another. One of the (few) advantages of Handbrake is you can specify the horizontal resolution and it will automatically set the vertical resolution appropriately to preserve proper aspect ratio.
With ffmpeg it is much more complicated in that you have to figure out yourself the proper horizontal and vertical resolution to use depending on source aspect ratio and if needed add padding options to ffmpeg to automatically add black bars when appropriate. So while that is possible to do with some work I was just wondering if I should bother looking into making the ffmpeg encodes smarter by accounting for resolution and aspect ratio? Or are people not bothered by distortion or using Handbrake anyway?

Old 06-23-2009, 10:29 AM   #938
AudioNutz

I have never seen the distortion that you're speaking of with ffmpeg.

The handbrake functionality that you speak of has a bug on the Mac version that needs an argument that scales the video, or else it will get the distortion you speak of. That in itself isn't a problem, but the extra time that this "scaling" takes during the encode process multiplies the encode times by 4 when you use Handbrake compared to ffmpeg.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #939
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
I have never seen the distortion that you're speaking of with ffmpeg.
Looking at it again closely last night I realized that it is really only a problem when you explicitly set aspect ratio for the output that is different than the input. So, for the existing built in profiles only ff_psp specifies a 16:9 output ratio explicitly, which means if you start from a 4:3 aspect ratio source it gets stretched horizontally. So I think I should just remove the -aspect 16:9 in that profile and things will be OK as is.

Before I was thinking that all the profiles that specify a 4:3 output resolution would be distorted when starting from a 16:9 aspect ratio source, but that does not appear to be the case.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #940
cones

I can't figure out how to install this program. I'm using ubuntu linux and i extracted the file that was downloaded, do i need to extract that .jar file too? Once i do that how do i run the program?
cones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #941
oViTynoT
Obvious Forum Lurker

You read the instructions HERE.
oViTynoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:10 PM   #942
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cones View Post
I can't figure out how to install this program. I'm using ubuntu linux and i extracted the file that was downloaded, do i need to extract that .jar file too? Once i do that how do i run the program?
Follow instructions given in linux_installation wiki page.
NOTE: For linux there is no zip file with pre-compiled 3rd party tool binaries so you have to build them yourself if you don't already have them installed.

If you just want to download from your Tivos then no additional tools are needed, but if you want to decrypt files then you need tivodecode. If you want to encode you will need ffmpeg or handbrake, etc. Links to the various 3rd party tools are provided in the main kmttg web page.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #943
cones

I did all of that but i still can't get it to work. What file do i open, do i need to extract the .jar file?
Old 06-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #944
moyekj

Quote:
I did all of that but i still can't get it to work. What file do i open, do i need to extract the .jar file?
No. There is a script called kmttg that you run from command line to launch kmttg. The script has some fancier options but essentially or that is needed to launch from command line is:
java -jar kmttg.jar

Old 06-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #945
cones

Quote:
No. There is a script called kmttg that you run from command line to launch kmttg. The script has some fancier options but essentially or that is needed to launch from command line is:
java -jar kmttg.jar
When i enter that code i get "unable to access jarfile kmttg.jar"
Old 06-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #946
krar4

Off Topic - How can I increase volume on the .mp4 files created?

To all:

Now that I have KMTTG working so well, I am looking to find a way to increase the volume on the .mp4 files that it creates. I travel a bit, so I'd like to make the video files louder to make them easier to hear when I have to fly. Is there a way either within KMTTG or with another piece of software to easily do this?

I appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 06-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #947
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by krar4 View Post
To all:

Now that I have KMTTG working so well, I am looking to find a way to increase the volume on the .mp4 files that it creates. I travel a bit, so I'd like to make the video files louder to make them easier to hear when I have to fly. Is there a way either within KMTTG or with another piece of software to easily do this?

I appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,
Rick
VideoReDo can adjust both audio sync and level (volume). This occurs in an mpeg2 file of course but the change would be carried through transcoding to MP4.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #948
krar4

Since I'm converting from .tivo to .mp4 automatically with KMTTG, is there any way to increase the volume on the audio on the .mp4 file? I would prefer not to have to transcode twice if I don't have to ( transcode .tivo to .mp2, increase the volume of .mp2, then transcode .mp2 to .mp4).

Thanks!

Rick
Old 06-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #949
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Since I'm converting from .tivo to .mp4 automatically with KMTTG, is there any way to increase the volume on the audio on the .mp4 file? I would prefer not to have to transcode twice if I don't have to ( transcode .tivo to .mp2, increase the volume of .mp2, then transcode .mp2 to .mp4).
Rick
You're never transcoding from .tivo to .mp2 whether you're using kmttg, VideoReDo or TivoDecode. The .tivo files are actually .mp2 files that must be freed from their TiVo wrapper -- much faster than transcoding. This is always part of any process that starts with .TiVo files, whether visible as a separate process step or not.

As the author of TVAP (see signature) I know how easy this would be to do with the semi-automatic mode of TVAP operation in which you manually review/edit the automatic commercial cuts in VRD. You could adjust the audio volume in about one second during the this manual review process. I'm not aware of a completely automatic way of doing this with VRD or kmttg.

Perhaps a kmttg expert (not me) will provide you a solution.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #950
AudioNutz

Quote:
Which encoder are you using?
Old 06-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #951
krar4

dlfl,

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry for all the newbie questions.

So in my situation, I need to run the .tivo file through KMTTG to download from my TiVo and also decrypt it to an .mp2 file. Then load it into Video Redo to increase the volume. Then transcode from an .mp2 to an .mp4 file. Is that the correct process?

Audio Nutz - I'm not at my home computer at the moment, but I know for sure that I don't have the "encode" box checked. I just download, decrypt, comskip, and comcut with KMTTG. Is that leaving it as an .mp2 file then? If so, then following dlfl's instructions is easier than I realized.

Thanks,
Rick

Last edited by krar4 : 06-25-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:29 PM   #952
moyekj

Quote:
When i enter that code i get "unable to access jarfile kmttg.jar"
You have to be in the same directory as kmttg.jar file to run the command that way. Otherwise you need to execute:
java -jar <path>/kmttg.jar
(substitute <path> for the real full path)

But the proper way to do is simply to execute the following:
<path>/kmttg &
(again substitute <path> for the real full path to kmttg file)

NOTE: It sounds like you are not very familiar with Linux and using Linux shell so depending what your goal is this may prove too hard for you to run under Linux.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #953
AudioNutz

Quote:
...Audio Nutz - I'm not at my home computer at the moment, but I know for sure that I don't have the "encode" box checked. I just download, decrypt, comskip, and comcut with KMTTG. Is that leaving it as an .mp2 file then? If so, then following dlfl's instructions is easier than I realized...
Hmmm... You're able to view these .mpg files on an airplane then, without encoding them? What kind of device are you watching them on?
Old 06-25-2009, 05:38 PM   #954
AudioNutz

By the way, if you were using the ffmpeg encoders to actually go to .mp4 like your original question stated, then you could use -vol ??? as part of your encoding argument.

From the ffmpeg -h help docs...
-vol volume change audio volume (256=normal)
Old 06-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #955
moyekj

Quote:
dlfl,

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry for all the newbie questions.

So in my situation, I need to run the .tivo file through KMTTG to download from my TiVo and also decrypt it to an .mp2 file. Then load it into Video Redo to increase the volume. Then transcode from an .mp2 to an .mp4 file. Is that the correct process?

Audio Nutz - I'm not at my home computer at the moment, but I know for sure that I don't have the "encode" box checked. I just download, decrypt, comskip, and comcut with KMTTG. Is that leaving it as an .mp2 file then? If so, then following dlfl's instructions is easier than I realized.

Thanks,
Rick
You can automate the whole process still using kmttg. You just need to add option to the encoder to tell it to boost the volume.
For ffmpeg the option is -vol . Normal volume level is 256, so higher numbers mean higher volume. So for example adding -vol 333 option should boost the audio. You probably need to experiment a little to determine the right number - setting it too high you will get distortion and/or noise.

For handbrake the option is -D with a 1.5-2.5 useful range. i.e. something like -D 2.0

In either case easiest thing to do is make a copy of existing encoding profile (name.enc file in encode folder), give it a new name ending in .enc and add in the option given above.
Then in kmttg just pick that encoding profile as your encoder and use kmttg as normal.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #956
krar4

AudioNutz,

I'm watching the resulting .mp4 files on my Archos 5 Internet Media Tablet. I have never put a check mark by the "encode" button in KMTTG, so I don't think I'm encoding anything. The files I load say something like "Gary Unmarried_052609_cut.mp4". I realize the filename properties aren't exactly correct (from memory), but I know it ends in "..._cut.mp4", and the "encode" box is not checked.

It sounds like you're saying I can encode using "ffmpeg -vol 300", where 256 is normal, so 300 is louder. If that's the process, where do I input the "-vol 300" information in the encoding instructions? It may be very obvious, but I'm not at my home PC at the moment, so I don't know.

Thanks to all!

Rick

P.S. When I finished this post, I saw that KMoye had added another post regarding -vol 333. I'll give that a try.

Thanks again!

Last edited by krar4 : 06-25-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Update
Old 06-25-2009, 06:04 PM   #957
moyekj

krar4, you can't end up with .mp4 file without having encode enabled. If you are not enabling "encode" step in GUI then you probably are using "Auto Transfers" in which case you must have "encode" enabled in the auto transfer setup. In that case if you follow my instructions you will need to update the "Auto Transfers" setup to use the new encoding profile that you generate with the volume option added.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:31 AM   #958
krar4

Last edited by krar4 : 06-26-2009 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:36 AM   #959
krar4

KJ -

I checked once I got home, and my resulting filenames are like "Gary Unmarried_052609_cut.mpg", not "xxx.mp4", as I originally thought.

I don't want to say something that is incorrect. What is the filetype that is output if all I do is download, decrypt, comskip, and comcut? I don't have the "encode" option checked, and I'm not using Auto Transfers. Is my filetype an .mp2 filetype then?

I opened the ff_h264_high_rate.enc file in WordPad and added the -vol 333 information. What filetype do I save it as with Wordpad? I can't get it to save as the correct filetype such that KMTTG recognizes it.

Thanks,
Rick

Last edited by krar4 : 06-26-2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:35 AM   #960
bkdtv

Quote:
I checked once I got home, and my resulting filenames are like "Gary Unmarried_052609_cut.mpg", not "xxx.mp4", as I originally thought.

I don't want to say something that is incorrect. What is the filetype that is output if all I do is download, decrypt, comskip, and comcut?
MPG. MPG is the most common container (and extension) for MPEG-2 video. MP2 is almost never used.

Quote:
I don't have the "encode" option checked, and I'm not using Auto Transfers. Is my filetype an .mp2 filetype then?
Output will always be MPG (MPEG-2) unless you select encode, in which case you will get M4V or MP4 (MPEG-4) depending on what encoding profile you select.

Quote:
I opened the ff_h264_high_rate.enc file in WordPad and added the -vol 333 information. What filetype do I save it as with Wordpad? I can't get it to save as the correct filetype such that KMTTG recognizes it.
Edit the .enc files in notepad or an enhanced text editor like Notepad++.

Save the modified profile, then select File | Refresh Encoding Profiles in kmttg.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote