TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #901
AudioNutz

SD=Standard Definition, right? (I've only got series 2 devices, so I don't know all the fancy jargon)

You should still have access to throw it at my FTP server.

EDIT: Let me know if your password doesn't work, and I'll send you a new one.

Last edited by AudioNutz : 06-16-2009 at 10:49 PM.
AudioNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:24 PM   #902
moyekj

Aha, Series 2 devices only explains a lot. For Series 2 Tivo is encoding from analog recordings in a very controlled manner, so mpeg2 defects should not be present. For Series 3 devices with cable cards recording from digital channels there is no encoding happening and you are at the mercy of any defects that develop in the digital transmissions. So it's no wonder you've never seen the problem.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:31 PM   #903
AudioNutz

I'll still run an encode if you throw a file at my FTP site.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:17 AM   #904
bkdtv

The Daily Show on Comedy Central is another program where I see A/V sync issues (with no VideoRedo). Sometimes the audio doesn't get out-of-sync for 15-20 minutes, so you need to check the end and not just the beginning.

Last edited by bkdtv : 06-17-2009 at 04:14 PM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #905
camnito

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
One possibility is to have an option where following Ad Detect kmttg opens up VRD in GUI mode using the .VPrj file with the detected cuts. Then you can modify the cuts as needed and as soon as you are done and close the GUI kmttg will continue. I'm not 100% sure that can be implemented but is that the kind of thing you are looking for?
That's right. And for the record, I did get the idea from TVAP. I agree that during batch and auto-download mode, it is better to go with the two-step process outlined earlier, but it would also be cool to allow the pause/resume when working with a single show.
camnito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:27 PM   #906
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnito View Post
That's right. And for the record, I did get the idea from TVAP. I agree that during batch and auto-download mode, it is better to go with the two-step process outlined earlier, but it would also be cool to allow the pause/resume when working with a single show.
OK, this was a pretty easy integration already added in development version. There is now an extra config boolean option "Use VideoRedo GUI to review commercials" that if set will start VideoRedo GUI following commercial detection job using the .VPrj file where you can review/adjust edits visually as desired. Then as soon as you close the VideoRedo GUI the next job in the pipe (normally would be the commercial cut job) will proceed.
NOTE: I configured it only to work if you are in GUI mode, not auto transfers mode since obviously you wouldn't want the GUI coming up in service mode anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:47 PM   #907
camnito

Quote:
OK, this was a pretty easy integration already added in development version. There is now an extra config boolean option "Use VideoRedo GUI to review commercials" that if set will start VideoRedo GUI following commercial detection job using the .VPrj file where you can review/adjust edits visually as desired. Then as soon as you close the VideoRedo GUI the next job in the pipe (normally would be the commercial cut job) will proceed.
NOTE: I configured it only to work if you are in GUI mode, not auto transfers mode since obviously you wouldn't want the GUI coming up in service mode anyway.
Wow, that was fast! I would gladly help test it if you wish. How do I get a hold of the dev version? I looked on the code page and didn't see it.

Thanks,

Cam
camnito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:52 PM   #908
Icarus

Quote:
Just to clarify, with this new mode enabled, the next job will still be the commercial cut job, correct?

During manual review, we just update the project (VPrj) with the possibly modified cuts.

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #909
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Just to clarify, with this new mode enabled, the next job will still be the commercial cut job, correct?

During manual review, we just update the project (VPrj) with the possibly modified cuts.

-David
Yes, if you have Ad Cut enabled then as soon as you close VideoRedo GUI then the Ad Cut job will kick in (plus any other jobs enabled after Ad Detect).
i.e. The point is to pause following commercial detection and bring up VideoRedo GUI to give you a chance to visually inspect/correct detected commercials and then continue on as normal with possibly corrected cut points once VideoRedo GUI is closed.

Last edited by moyekj : 06-17-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:12 AM   #910
moyekj

bkdtv, AudioNutz and I have been privately working on the ffmpeg A/V sync issues for bad mpeg files. It looks like ffmpeg versions around February 2008 or earlier have much better behavior for A/V sync issues. For example, try the ffmpeg in this older kmttg tools package AND add -async 50 option. For me that results in perfect A/V sync and no audio distortion for both my short & long testcases with the ipod profiles and a few others.
However that earlier version has problems as well:
* AC3 support in MP4 is not there so the h264 & tivo profiles do not work.
* That ffmpeg crashes with xbox360 & ps3 profiles

In any case would be interesting to see your results using that version AND -async 50 option.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #911
AudioNutz

Kevin,
Have you thought about reporting this issue to the folks that work on ffmpeg? Maybe this is a simple fix, since it once worked in 2008?
Old 06-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #912
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
Kevin,
Have you thought about reporting this issue to the folks that work on ffmpeg? Maybe this is a simple fix, since it once worked in 2008?
The reason I hesitate to do that is because I know if I clean up the source mpeg with VideoRedo QS Fix first then there are no issues even when using latest ffmpeg builds, so really it's more the faulty mpeg files that are to blame. Note that handbrake also has many issues with these faulty mpeg files as does mencoder, so it's not purely an ffmpeg issue. All 3 of those binaries share similar base libraries and so that's not too surprising, but in all cases fixing the source mpeg file solves the problem.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:18 PM   #913
AudioNutz

It was just a thought. I compiled the latest ffmpeg, and I'm getting the same sync issues.

I tried to compile a build from Feb of last year, and it wouldn't compile.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #914
bkdtv

Quote:
bkdtv, AudioNutz and I have been privately working on the ffmpeg A/V sync issues for bad mpeg files. It looks like ffmpeg versions around February 2008 or earlier have much better behavior for A/V sync issues. For example, try the ffmpeg in this older kmttg tools package AND add -async 50 option. For me that results in perfect A/V sync and no audio distortion for both my short & long testcases with the ipod profiles and a few others.
However that earlier version has problems as well:
* AC3 support in MP4 is not there so the h264 & tivo profiles do not work.
* That ffmpeg crashes with xbox360 & ps3 profiles

In any case would be interesting to see your results using that version AND -async 50 option.
The older version cleared up A/V sync on three of my four SD recordings, but it did not do the same for the recording from Comedy Central. The Comedy Central recording exhibits high-pitched sqeaks and horrible stutter, making the audio track useless.

That may be as good as we're going to get for now. Are you able to include both versions of ffmpeg, and use the newer version for the other profiles? And will you always use the latest version when the user has VideoRedo installed and Quickstream checked?

Fyi the last version you gave me still tries to encode two videos at once with jobs set to 1.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #915
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
The older version cleared up A/V sync on three of my four SD recordings, but it did not do the same for the recording from Comedy Central. The Comedy Central recording exhibits high-pitched sqeaks and horrible stutter, making the audio track useless.

That may be as good as we're going to get for now. Are you able to include both versions of ffmpeg, and use the newer version for the other profiles? And will you always use the latest version when the user has VideoRedo installed and Quickstream checked?
Ideally I'd like to find one version that works with all encoding profiles and add -async 50 to all the ffmpeg profiles. If there is such a "magic" version then it would be good for the Mac OSX tool set to be updated to that version as well.

NOTE: To complicate matters more there is some GPL issue with libfaac now such that building ffmpeg with AAC support enabled and distributing freely under GPL license is no longer allowed. I think ffmpeg developers are working on their own AAC library but for now latest builds of ffmpeg cannot include AAC support and be distributed - one can build it for personal use only...

Quote:
Fyi the last version you gave me still tries to encode two videos at once with jobs set to 1.
OK thanks, I'll look into it.

Last edited by moyekj : 06-18-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:01 PM   #916
AudioNutz

Quote:
Ideally I'd like to find one version that works with all encoding profiles and add -async 50 to all the ffmpeg profiles. If there is such a "magic" version then it would be good for the Mac OSX tool set to be updated to that version as well...
I'm still looking, but I'll need to set it aside soon for the weekend. The magic bullet (For Mac) seems to be the ffmpeg that's in the Mac tools package, except for those few episodes that you're having trouble with. In those cases, a comskip/comcut irons it out... Every time... Then jkust use any old argument that you like.

The other thing that seems to work 100% of the time is when I use my VisualHub binary with an ffmpeg style argument. Then it works 100% of the time, without sync issues, and without doing the comskip/comcut.

I would be happy to try any suggestions.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:15 AM   #917
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
I'm still looking, but I'll need to set it aside soon for the weekend. The magic bullet (For Mac) seems to be the ffmpeg that's in the Mac tools package, except for those few episodes that you're having trouble with. In those cases, a comskip/comcut irons it out... Every time... Then jkust use any old argument that you like.
mencoder (used in comcut step) works to fix that short 5 minute one but not for my longer 1 hour case or bdktv's testcases so is not a cure all.

I think I'm officially giving up on looking for the cure all ffmpeg. I've tried about 15 different versions from 2007 to present and none of them are the "magic bullet". As mentioned the older ones are better at preserving A/V sync for broken mpegs but lack support for AC3 in mpeg4 and crash with a couple of profiles. The newer ones distort audio. Note that in all cases once VideoRedo is used to clean up the broken mpegs then all ffmpeg versions I tried worked fine.

NOTE: handbrake also can't handle these broken mpegs properly without first fixing with VideoRedo as well.

So VideoRedo remains as the sole silver bullet fix all and well worth every penny of $50 for Plus version.

Last edited by moyekj : 06-19-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:34 AM   #918
bkdtv

These mockups might give you some ideas.....

Current release version

Pictured updated to reflect current version.

Mockups

In all shots, highlighting is used in the list to indicate which recordings are already queued.

In second shot, the timer under status is estimated time remaining.

Mockups based on unreleased v0p6e version.

I think I first two shots are the most intuitive. I really like the refresh button and the capacity info, but adding that extra line of info right below the tab and job options makes the UI seem a little cluttered. That TiVo capacity info could be moved to a status bar at the bottom, but I wonder how it would look/work to have a small square refresh button as part of the tab, perhaps with a ( ) type graphic.

Last edited by bkdtv : 06-21-2009 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:08 AM   #919
AudioNutz

Quote:
mencoder (used in comcut step) works to fix that short 5 minute one but not for my longer 1 hour case or bdktv's testcases so is not a cure all.

I think I'm officially giving up on looking for the cure all ffmpeg. I've tried about 15 different versions from 2007 to present and none of them are the "magic bullet". As mentioned the older ones are better at preserving A/V sync for broken mpegs but lack support for AC3 in mpeg4 and crash with a couple of profiles. The newer ones distort audio. Note that in all cases once VideoRedo is used to clean up the broken mpegs then all ffmpeg versions I tried worked fine...
I just thought of an idea. You're basically using the "copy" feature in mencoder (when comcuting) that fixes up the audio/video so that ffmpeg can encode without any glitches. What about this:

1. When no comcut is happening, build in a ffmpeg step that does -vcodec copy and -acodec copy and then does the encode on the resulting file. I know it's a 2-pass operation, but the 1st step should be quick.

or...

2. Have mencoder do the -oac copy -ovc copy even when there is no comcut steps selected, to fix up the mpeg file before it hits ffmpeg. You could even add this as a selectable option (Mencoder QS Fix) so that you only select it on the shows that you know will need it. (It would even go nicely with the auto-transfers)

I haven't tried these yet, but it's an idea...
Old 06-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #920
moyekj

AudioNutz, but the whole problem is neither the ffmpeg copy or mencoder copy work to "fix" the source mpeg file in most cases. The short 5 min clip I gave you looks like an exception that does work when running it through mencoder, but my 1 hr testcase and several of bkdtv testcases do not work when doing the same. So the problem is finding a free solution which works to clear up problems in most cases which so far we have not found.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #921
AudioNutz

I like those (proposed) mockups for potential GUI improvements, but I have some dreams of my own. With the TABs, I think I would be switching back & forth too much, so I would prefer to see both TiVo's at the same time...

I have three ideas of my own... (Sorry for the poor quality)

This one allows you to see both TiVo's at once, but I didn't leave room for the "Files" area...

This one has room for the "Files" area, but there's room for improvement.

This one's my favorite... You can see everything at once, and there's room for everything.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #922
AudioNutz

Quote:
AudioNutz, but the whole problem is neither the ffmpeg copy or mencoder copy work to "fix" the source mpeg file in most cases. The short 5 min clip I gave you looks like an exception that does work when running it through mencoder, but my 1 hr testcase and several of bkdtv testcases do not work when doing the same. So the problem is finding a free solution which works to clear up problems in most cases which so far we have not found.
I didn't know that you already tried the "copy" already... Hmmm... Nevermind... I'll keep thinking.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #923
moyekj

v0p6e just released

release_notes

ENHANCEMENTS

* Main GUI window updated to use a separate tab for each TiVo (and a separate tab for FILES mode).

* TiVo basic statistics now displayed as a label for each TiVo along with last time Now Playing List was updated.

* Configuration dialog updated to separate out settings into different tabs for a cleaner/easier view of all the settings

* Added "Use VideoRedo GUI to review commercials" option that if set will start VideoRedo GUI following commercial detection job using the .VPrj file where you can review/adjust edits visually as desired. Then as soon as you close the VideoRedo GUI the next job in the pipe (normally would be the commercial cut job) will proceed.

* Job Monitor now shows % complete for jobs where % complete is available and not the first running job (first running job has % complete in title so no need to duplicate).

* Auto detected TiVos are now automatically saved to config.ini when detected.

* Cosmetic: DATE & SIZE columns of Tivo Playlist table are now right justified so that numbers line up

FIXES

* Fixed endless looping error printing condition when NowPlaying List retrieval fails.

* kmttg now limits to 1000 number of stdout/stderr messages saved per process. Previously this was unlimited which could result in JVM out of memory problem. This was especially a problem when running "comcut" with mencoder for example.

* When enabling "Look for Tivos on network" setting in config GUI if it will now take effect in current session. Previously kmttg would not look for Tivos after this was enabled until next GUI session.

* Tivo names with special characters such as '*' caused some exception problems that are now fixed with this release.

* When adding a TiVo manually in config, cyclic is now updated to show the latest addition

* Corrected bug in checking active jobs running versus "active job limit" configuration setting.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:12 PM   #924
spocko
TiVo HD

Thanks moyekj for all your work!

Quote:
* Main GUI window updated to use a separate tab for each TiVo (and a separate tab for FILES mode).
No offense to Audionutz, but I like the this tabbed design. I think it makes sense to only look at one location/source at a time.

Quote:
* Added "Use VideoRedo GUI to review commercials" option that if set will start VideoRedo GUI following commercial detection job using the .VPrj file where you can review/adjust edits visually as desired. Then as soon as you close the VideoRedo GUI the next job in the pipe (normally would be the commercial cut job) will proceed.
This begs a question: Are all jobs halted while the GUI is open? Ideally, other jobs will still be able to proceed if possible. I envision it working something like this:

For the sake of discussion, lets define a "jobset" as a collection of jobs related to a single source file. The jobs within a jobset are processed sequentially, i.e. download, decode, fix, cut, encode. Threads are used to allow multiple jobsets to be in process concurrently.

Thread 1: Handles a queue of jobsets with pending download jobs. This thread only processes download jobs, so as long as any download job is queued we are downloading. This would allow network utilization to be maximized. Once a download job is completed, the jobset is transferred to Thread 2 or 3. There is never more than one instance of Thread 1.

Thread 2: Handles a queue of jobsets with pending non-interactive non-download jobs. If an interactive job is encountered, the jobset is transferred to Thread 3. On multi-core machines, there could be multiple instances of Thread 2, each having it's own queue of jobsets.

Thread 3: Handles a queue of jobsets with pending interactive jobs. When an interactive job is closed, the jobset is transferred back to Thread 2 if it still has pending non-interactive jobs. There is never more than one instance of Thread 3.

The goal here is to maximize network and CPU utilization by concurrently processing any jobs that can be. You may be doing something like this already, I haven't looked closely, I'm just thinking out loud here.
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #925
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by spocko View Post
This begs a question: Are all jobs halted while the GUI is open? Ideally, other jobs will still be able to proceed if possible. I envision it working something like this:

For the sake of discussion, lets define a "jobset" as a collection of jobs related to a single source file. The jobs within a jobset are processed sequentially, i.e. download, decode, fix, cut, encode. Threads are used to allow multiple jobsets to be in process concurrently.

Thread 1: Handles a queue of jobsets with pending download jobs. This thread only processes download jobs, so as long as any download job is queued we are downloading. This would allow network utilization to be maximized. Once a download job is completed, the jobset is transferred to Thread 2 or 3. There is never more than one instance of Thread 1.

Thread 2: Handles a queue of jobsets with pending non-interactive non-download jobs. If an interactive job is encountered, the jobset is transferred to Thread 3. On multi-core machines, there could be multiple instances of Thread 2, each having it's own queue of jobsets.

Thread 3: Handles a queue of jobsets with pending interactive jobs. When an interactive job is closed, the jobset is transferred back to Thread 2 if it still has pending non-interactive jobs. There is never more than one instance of Thread 3.

The goal here is to maximize network and CPU utilization by concurrently processing any jobs that can be. You may be doing something like this already, I haven't looked closely, I'm just thinking out loud here.
Yes jobs in kmttg in are setup to run in parallel. Every single background task launched gets its own thread. You can have multiple jobs running at the same time. There is a configuration option active job limit which defines how many CPU intensive jobs to allow to run at the same time.

The kmttg job manager rules essentially boil down to this:
* Only allow 1 playlist/download/metadata job per Tivo at a time
* Manage job dependencies. Schedule jobs in the right order and jobs that rely on previous jobs to complete are queued waiting for the relevant jobs to complete.
* CPU intensive jobs are defined as any job other than playlist, download and metadata.
* Only allow up to active job limit CPU intensive jobs to run at the same time.

Thus for example if you schedule a jobset from Tivo A and then another jobset from Tivo B you will see jobs running in parallel. If you schedule multiple FILES jobsets those will all run in parallel following the job manager rules summarized above.

For the VideoRedo GUI job (I called it vrdreview) it will only pause the jobset it is associated with. If you have a different jobset running then the VRD GUI will have no effect on those.
One scenario I didn't think about until this post is if you have 2 or more jobsets defined to run vrdreview. VideoRedo does not allow 2 instances of the program to run at the same time, so currently what happens is if a 2nd vrdreview job is run before the 1st one is closed, VideoRedo automatically terminates the 1st one which is not desired of course - the subsequent jobs of the 1st jobset will then run at that point even though you may not have reviewed the commercial cuts yet.
I need to add some smarts to the Job Manager to only allow one "vrdreview" job at a time.

EDIT: Actually for VideoRedo it's worse than I thought. The 1 at a time rule looks like needs to apply to all VideoRedo jobs, even the batch qsfix, adscan & adcut jobs.
I guess the number of VideoRedo users must be pretty low since this was never caught/reported before.

Last edited by moyekj : 06-19-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:45 PM   #926
Icarus

Quote:
I guess the number of VideoRedo users must be pretty low since this was never caught/reported before.
I noticed it and worked around it by setting number of jobs to 1. Yeah, everything had to be done serially, unfortunately. If you fix that, I can try it again.

For some reason in the windows gui, the setting for number of cpus isn't there on the config page, but I found it in the .ini file, but it didn't seem to make any difference to handbrake, as far as I could tell, after changing it to 2. I'm not complaining about it.

-David

lol, I can't wait until we get off this thread page because the bb software is making all the rest of the posts really wide now.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #927
AudioNutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by spocko View Post
...No offense to Audionutz, but I like the this tabbed design. I think it makes sense to only look at one location/source at a time...
No offense taken. I mocked up those options as a suggestion. I knew not everyone would like them, but those of us that like to look at both TiVo's at the same time may like seeing it together.

(This is one thing that I WISH TiVo would allow... I would LOVE it if I could look at the "To Do List", "Season Passes", and schedule recordings for TiVo#1 wile I'm sitting in front of TiVo#2.)
Old 06-19-2009, 10:10 PM   #928
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
I noticed it and worked around it by setting number of jobs to 1. Yeah, everything had to be done serially, unfortunately. If you fix that, I can try it again.

For some reason in the windows gui, the setting for number of cpus isn't there on the config page, but I found it in the .ini file, but it didn't seem to make any difference to handbrake, as far as I could tell, after changing it to 2. I'm not complaining about it.
In latest version the configuration now has tabs. The setting is called active job limit in the Other tab (it's also in the documentation).
I'll probably release another version shortly that limits VideoRedo jobs to 1 at a time since it's a simple and relatively minor change.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:23 PM   #929
moyekj

v0p6f released

v0.6f (06/19/2009)

FIXES

* Discovered that VideoRedo does not allow/work with more than 1 job at a time. So now kmttg limits tasks using VideoRedo to one at a time.

As a side note for VideoRedo users:
I can't seem to get VideoRedo "adcut" job to run in service mode under Windows Vista.
To be more specific, the job launches but just sits there idle doing nothing, and I have to kill it using Task Manager or it never exits.
Yet other VideoRedo jobs such as "qsfix" run fine on same machine in service mode.

On a Windows XP job all VideoRedo jobs run fine in service mode including "adcut", so it's not a general Windows service issue.
(On both computers I configured services to be run as a user account as described in Wiki page).

So I'm just wondering if it's just me, or a Vista problem? If it is a general problem then I can make a change to
use "mencoder" to do cuts instead when in service mode which is why I ask...

Last edited by moyekj : 06-19-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:22 PM   #930
Icarus

If I have an entry in /etc/hosts, I can't use that name where it asks for the ip address? I have to use dotted decimal notation only?

damn .. never mind, it does work. operator error.

-David