TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #841
AudioNutz

That actually fixes them on the Mac, the only trouble is if you actually use the cut mpg file like I do with pyTiVo to be fed back into your TiVo for watching at home.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:58 PM   #842
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
That actually fixes them on the Mac, the only trouble is if you actually use the cut mpg file like I do with pyTiVo to be fed back into your TiVo for watching at home.
Yes I think that filter makes the filtered mpeg file playback "choppy" on the TiVo from what I recall (probably because of timestamps at every I frame that dvd:tsaf introduces). Is that what you noticed?
I didn't try playback of the resulting "fixed" mp4 on Tivo yet to see if it also exhibits choppy playback. Playback on PC seems to be OK.

The intent here is to tie this to the encoding step if one doesn't have VideoRedo available. There would still be option to turn off the filter if you don't want it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #843
AudioNutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Yes I think that filter makes the filtered mpeg file playback "choppy" on the TiVo from what I recall (probably because of timestamps at every I frame that dvd:tsaf introduces). Is that what you noticed?
I didn't try playback of the resulting "fixed" mp4 on Tivo yet to see if it also exhibits choppy playback. Playback on PC seems to be OK.
What I see is a little 1 second "pause" in the audio/video every once in a while in the _cut.mpg files. This is very clean in the encoded files. It's not at a regular interval, and it is not near a particular time (like by a commercial)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateS View Post
...Didn't have a chance to try adding -threads to my ffmpeg profile before leaving town. AudioNutz, I have a VH user license as well, and want to use -threads auto (rather than specifying a number.) Is there something I need to do within kmttg so it recognizes my VH license? (You mentioned you thought only the licensed VH works with -threads auto; otherwise it requires a number of threads to be specifiedů)
Kate,
If you own a VH license, then there is a command line version of their ffmpeg utility buried in your system. Look for it here: "Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > Techspansion > vh131ffmpeg"

You can direct KMTTG to look for FFMPEG in this binary file instead of in the KMTTG folder, or you can copy this binary file to your KMTTG folder and use it there. (If you remove it from this folder, then VH will probably no longer work, so you should copy it if you're going to use it in the KMTTG folder)

The argument that I use with my VH license looks like this:
Code:
# Description (single line, keep short)
<description>
VisualHub engine, 320x240 vh131ffmpeg video

# Encode command or script (single line)
# Known keywords: FFMPEG, MENCODER, PERL, INPUT, OUTPUT, PWD
<command>
FFMPEG -y -i INPUT -threads auto -s 320x240 -aspect 320:240 -r 29.97 -vcodec h264 -g 150 -qmin 25 -b 560k -level 13 -loop 1 -sc_threshold 40 -partp4x4 1 -rc_eq blurCplx^(1-qComp) -refs 3 -qmax 51 -maxrate 700k -keyint_min 40 -async 50 -acodec libfaac -ar 48000 -ac 2 -ab 128k OUTPUT

# Encoded output file extension
<extension>
mp4
If you "Cancel" something while VH GUI is doing an encode, you can steal the argument from your console log. (This is how I arrived at this argument)
Old 06-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #844
bkdtv

Quote:
bkdtv, OK I found something that worked to fix A/V sync issues after encode for my trouble mpeg testcase:

Run the source trouble mpeg through mencoder as follows:
mencoder INPUT -oac copy -ovc copy -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf -vf harddup -o OUTPUT

Then take the OUTPUT mpeg generated by the above and run it through normal encode process.

I'd be curious to see if that fixes the issues for your trouble testcases as well.
That eliminated the A/V sync issues for me. It's fast, too.

I would enable that ("Fix A/V Errors") by default for the encode step, when the user does not have VideoRedo.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #845
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
That eliminated the A/V sync issues for me. It's fast, too.

I would enable that ("Fix A/V Errors") by default for the encode step, when the user does not have VideoRedo.
Good to hear. So the plan is to rename "VRD QS Fix" to "Stream fix" and if VideoRedo is not configured then this option will automatically be enabled and turned on when "encode" is turned on. User can still turn it off if desired at that point. When "encode" is turned off the option will be disabled and turned off automatically. (i.e. it will be closely tied to encode job without VideoRedo configured).

Then at run time if this is enabled and VideoRedo is not configured it will run the job with name "streamfix" (instead of VideoRedo "qsfix").

I already have most of the above in place.

The great thing about this solution is mencoder is readily and freely available on all platforms (and already bundled with windows & Mac installation), so this fits in nicely.

I'm sure it's not nearly as robust as VideoRedo for fixing glitches, but it's certainly better than nothing at all.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #846
bkdtv

Looks like I spoke too soon again.

I'm still seeing A/V sync issues towards the end of recordings. More specifically, A/V sync become out of sync 16-25 minutes in on my Daily Show recordings.

Without mencoder, there are A/V sync issues throughout, so this is an improvement...
Old 06-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #847
moyekj

Quote:
Looks like I spoke too soon again.

I'm still seeing A/V sync issues towards the end of recordings. More specifically, A/V sync become out of sync 16-25 minutes in on my Daily Show recordings.

Without mencoder, there are A/V sync issues throughout, so this is an improvement...
16-25 minutes!!?? Wow even 16-25 seconds would be outrageous. I get annoyed if it's even off my half a second or so. By any chance are you enabling comskip/comcut steps as well? (If so please try without those steps enabled).

Old 06-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #848
bkdtv

Quote:
16-25 minutes!!?? Wow even 16-25 seconds would be outrageous. I get annoyed if it's even off my half a second or so. By any chance are you enabling comskip/comcut steps as well? (If so please try without those steps enabled).
To clarify, the A/V loses sync by a 3-4 seconds at some point 16-25 minutes into the program. Once the A/V loses sync, it remains out of sync for the rest of the program.

Edit: On the second episode of the Daily Show, A/V is out of sync by 15+ seconds by the end of the program.

I did not use the comcut or comskip steps.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #849
moyekj

Sorry, I completely misread your post and now it's clear what you meant. My testcase was only 5 minutes long (which made it very easy/quick to try out different things to see what helped). I'll try some longer shows as well.
Out of curiosity, were these handbrake or ffmpeg encodings or both? (I used mostly ff_psp in my testing).

Old 06-11-2009, 08:32 PM   #850
bkdtv

I'm using the ff_ipod_high_res setting.

Surely there must be a way to eliminate most A/V sync issues without VideoRedo TVSuite. Tomorrow, I think I'll ask around on Doom9.org, Videohelp, and/or Afterdawn.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:50 PM   #851
moyekj

One more thing to check. Is the post-mencoder mpeg file also out of sync around the same points or is it the re-encoding that triggers the A/V sync issue?

Old 06-11-2009, 11:11 PM   #852
bkdtv

Quote:
One more thing to check. Is the post-mencoder mpeg file also out of sync around the same points or is it the re-encoding that triggers the A/V sync issue?
All files lost A/V sync on the same scene, although the timecodes are all different (ex: 19:39 for MP4 and 19:51 for the MPG).

In all cases, the original, unmodified MPG played in sync from start to finish.

Last edited by bkdtv : 06-11-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:58 AM   #853
moyekj

Just tried a 1 hour SD show and confirmed same problem. The post-mencoder file got way off sync after about 20 minutes through a 1 hour show. (Of course the mp4 file generated was way off too - though there is no point even trying the encode step if the source is already off).

Old 06-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #854
moyekj

bkdtv, another thing to try. Forget about mencoder filter completely. Instead take an existing ffmpeg profile and add -async 1 setting.
That worked for my 5 minute testcase. I don't have the longer 1hr testcase to try until tonight to see if it works for that one as well...

Old 06-12-2009, 01:45 PM   #855
AudioNutz

Hmmm... I've been using -async 50 in my profiles since day 1. I wonder if that's why I haven't seen this issue in my encoded files?
Old 06-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #856
bkdtv

Quote:
bkdtv, another thing to try. Forget about mencoder filter completely. Instead take an existing ffmpeg profile and add -async 1 setting.
That worked for my 5 minute testcase. I don't have the longer 1hr testcase to try until tonight to see if it works for that one as well...
Thanks, I'll give that a try in a few hours.

Quote:
Here's the description of -async from the ffmpeg documentation:

"Audio sync method. "Stretches/squeezes" the audio stream to match the timestamps, the parameter is the maximum samples per second by which the audio is changed. -async 1 is a special case where only the start of the audio stream is corrected without any later correction."

The async command fixed my sync problems. Generally, using -async 1 works well enough and is the least cpu-intensive choice. If you're still having sync problems, you can use something like -async 44100. Using something other than 1 allows ffmpeg to dynamically slow down or speed up the audio to make sure it syncs with the video.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #857
moyekj

AudioNutz that is interesting - I'm not sure that a setting of 50 makes any sense, but perhaps in your special version of ffmpeg the setting is not audio sampling rate.

bkdtv, so I say try -async 1 first and if there are still issues then give it an actual audio sampling rate number such as 44100 or 48000. (I don't know if it needs to be the same as the sampling rate of the audio stream or not but sounds like that is not necessary as the rate is adjusted to try and keep sync as needed). Sure sounds like giving a sampling rate number is more robust than using 1...

EDIT: The other issue is I don't think handbrake has anything equivalent (but that's a secondary issue at this point, and personally I try and use ffmpeg as much as possible anyway).

Last edited by moyekj : 06-12-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:42 PM   #858
AudioNutz

Quote:
AudioNutz that is interesting - I'm not sure that a setting of 50 makes any sense, but perhaps in your special version of ffmpeg the setting is not audio sampling rate...
Correct. When I try the command ffmpeg -h I get:

-async audio sync method
Old 06-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #859
bkdtv

Quote:
AudioNutz that is interesting - I'm not sure that a setting of 50 makes any sense, but perhaps in your special version of ffmpeg the setting is not audio sampling rate.

bkdtv, so I say try -async 1 first and if there are still issues then give it an actual audio sampling rate number such as 44100 or 48000. (I don't know if it needs to be the same as the sampling rate of the audio stream or not but sounds like that is not necessary as the rate is adjusted to try and keep sync as needed). Sure sounds like giving a sampling rate number is more robust than using 1...
I modified ff_ipod_high_res.enc as follows:

Code:
FFMPEG -y -i INPUT -threads CPU_CORES -vcodec libxvid -async 1 -maxrate 2000k -qmin 3 -qmax 5 -bufsize 5096k -g 300 -acodec libfaac -s 640x480 -ab 128 -b 1500k -f mp4 OUTPUT
I encoded four videos (3 SD, 1 HD) and all were out of sync.

I'll try at 48000 next.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #860
AudioNutz

That's really strange. If I want to do audio sampling rate, I use -ar 48000
Old 06-12-2009, 04:56 PM   #861
bkdtv

I just tried encodes with -async 50 and -async 48000. With every video, ffmpeg crashed and exited within seconds of starting the encode.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #862
moyekj

Quote:
I just tried encodes with -async 50 and -async 48000. With every video, ffmpeg crashed and exited within seconds of starting the encode.
Happened to me on windows too. I compiled a new version on linux and it worked fine. I downloaded this windows ffmpeg 0.5 binary and it seems to work without crashing, so try this one:
http://download.videohelp.com/download/ffmpeg-0.5.7z
EDIT: Scratch that, that version crashed for me just now...
Maybe I'll try and build a windows version from scratch from latest source to see if that solves it...

Old 06-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #863
moyekj

bkdtv, FYI the streambaby windows ffmpeg doesn't crash when using -async 48000 so probably easiest thing for now is just use that (you will need to copy the accompanying .dll files if you copy it over to kmttg ffmpeg folder).

Old 06-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #864
bkdtv

Quote:
bkdtv, FYI the streambaby windows ffmpeg doesn't crash when using -async 48000 so probably easiest thing for now is just use that (you will need to copy the accompanying .dll files if you copy it over to kmttg ffmpeg folder).
That runs for me without crashing (as do the latest ffmpeg builds on the pyTiVo forums), but I haven't been able to get usable audio. I just get a high pitched noise during playback in both WMP and VLC.

I noticed the kmttg encodes two programs at once, rather than finishing one before proceeding to the next. Both encodes specify -threads 2. Is that intended?

With the latest version of Java32 installed, I sometimes see the following error when I add a File and then select it in kmttg. This usually happens after I've already sorted the TiVo program listing by a certain column, such as channel.

Quote:
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 1
at org.jdesktop.swingx.decorator.ShuttleSorter.mapTowardModel(U nknown Source)
at org.jdesktop.swingx.decorator.Filter.convertRowIndexToModel( Unknown Source)
at org.jdesktop.swingx.decorator.FilterPipeline.convertRowIndex ToModel(Unknown Source)
at org.jdesktop.swingx.decorator.SelectionMapper.convertToModel (Unknown Source)
at org.jdesktop.swingx.decorator.SelectionMapper.updateFromView SelectionChanged(Unknown Source)
at org.jdesktop.swingx.decorator.SelectionMapper$2.valueChanged (Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultListSelectionModel.fireValueChanged(Unkno wn Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultListSelectionModel.fireValueChanged(Unkno wn Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultListSelectionModel.setValueIsAdjusting(Un known Source)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableUI$Handler.setValueIsAdjust ing(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableUI$Handler.mouseReleased(Un known Source)
at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Old 06-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #865
moyekj

Those are configurable settings in kmttg:
active job limit specifies how many CPU intensive jobs to allow to run at a time (defaults to 2). Hence if you only want to allow 1 CPU intensive job at a time change it to 1.
encoding cpu cores controls how many cores to use for encoding. You probably have both set to 2.

-async 48000 also gives me squeaky audio (must be adjusting the rate too much). I am trying -async 1 on my 1hr mpeg right now so will see how that goes - based on what you are posting it probably won't work...

I haven't seen that swingx decorator exception but I think AudioNutz has seen that before as well. The exception is not being caused by kmttg code directly (you would see .java file names and line numbers in the exception trace if so), so I can't trace the origin of the problem. If it seems harmless enough and doesn't affect operation from that point on I guess just ignore it.

Last edited by moyekj : 06-12-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:19 PM   #866
bkdtv

That's odd....Using the same settings, an encoding of a program from HISI was fine. Both both episodes of The Daily Show had squeaky audio.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:20 PM   #867
moyekj

Interesting result with -async 1:
The A/V sync was preserved throughout in the resulting mp4 file. However:
* 1 hr program became 1hr, 9 minutes long
* Audio was often a little distorted and video sometimes a little slow-motioned.
I think what's happening is there are wrong timestamps in the streams and ffmpeg is doing its best to honor them.
I may try 1 more combination of mencoder filter (to clean up the timestamps) followed by ffmpeg with -async 1 (to try and sync correctly from start), but I don't expect that to be any better...

Old 06-12-2009, 10:44 PM   #868
bkdtv

Quote:
Those are configurable settings in kmttg:
active job limit specifies how many CPU intensive jobs to allow to run at a time (defaults to 2). Hence if you only want to allow 1 CPU intensive job at a time change it to 1.
I left it at two because I wanted the ability to download from two different TiVos and/or download and encode at the same time. If I change "active job limit" to 1, will it change that? Downloads require a trivial amount of system resources, so I don't think they should be thrown in with processor and I/O intensive tasks like encoding and streamfix.

You might detect the number of available physical cores and set default encode (and/or post process) behavior based on that. A quick search suggests that the Runtime.getRuntime().availableProcessors() command will display the number of available cores. If the user has two physical cores available, the default for "encoding cpu cores" would be two, and the "active job limit" for encodes (and other cpu-intensive tasks?) would be one.

Last edited by bkdtv : 06-12-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:28 PM   #869
scsiguy72
OTA Only..Free TV

When I install and run KMTTG the interface opens correctly and tries to download the helper files in kmttg_win32_tools_v0p5m.zip. It downloads but when it tries to open I get the following error:

Downloading file:

http://kmttg.googlecode.com/files/km...ools_v0p5m.zip

Download completed successfully
error in opening zip file

When I try to open the zip file manually I get "Can not open file: it does not appear to be a vaild Archive"

Am I doing something wrong or is the file corrupt? I tried 4 times.

Can i download kmttg_win32_tools_v0p5m.zip somewhere else and manually install the files? If so do they just go in the kmttg installation directory?

scsiguy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:49 PM   #870
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiguy72 View Post
Can i download kmttg_win32_tools_v0p5m.zip somewhere else and manually install the files? If so do they just go in the kmttg installation directory?
You can get it here:

http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/downloads/list