TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-03-2009, 12:40 AM   #781
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
I'll try it, but again, I don't know where to add this.
OK, try this. Download the kmttg.jar file attached here:
http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/issues/detail?id=13

Rename kmttg.jar for your current installation and put the attached one above in it's place and then launch and run kmttg as usual and try your video again. The only difference is the addition of -harddup flag to mencoder which for me helped with a/v sync issue with a short test clip. Not sure if it will help timestamp problems but it's worth a shot.

(With the other flags I found mencoder generated choppy video when played back on Tivo, so those don't seem to be a good option).

If still no luck then not sure what can be done. As I mentioned before VideoRedo is a MUCH better tool for doing mpeg editing/cutting and worth every penny.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:31 AM   #782
moyekj

Tonight I ran 1 more full test for mencoder. Even with the new option a full 1 hour testcase eventually generated a/v sync problems in the cut mpg file half way through. I ran the exact same source video with same cut points using VideoRedo in kmttg instead and the resulting cut file was PERFECT. Also noticed the cut points made by mencoder were a few seconds off where VideRedo cut them in the right places.

Bottom line seems to be mencoder is not up to the task of cutting mpeg2 videos without a complete re-encode. If someone is aware of a better free tool for doing the job please let me know. For now I will continue to strongly encourage use of VideoRedo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:29 AM   #783
bkdtv

My earlier problems with the VideoRedo vbs scripts under Windows 7 were caused by my failure to run VideoRedo as an administrator. I uninstalled the beta version and reinstalled the latest version, but that didn't fix the problem. So I ran VideoRedo as an administrator (right-click, run as administrator) and that did fix the problem. Installing as an administrator isn't enough.

I did run into the problem mentioned a few pages back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
You can simply set output_edl=0 in comskip.ini file to turn off edl file generation.
Note however that with current coding kmttg always expects a .edl file output to be produced by comskip so disabling that results in an error message by kmttg. For your case you can of course simply ignore the error message. I can probably make a change for kmttg to check for either .VPrj or .edl if VRD is configured.
When using VideoRedo, the comskip and comcut (VideoRedo's adcut) don't work together. The comskip step creates an edl file and kmttg looks for a VPrj file, which doesn't exist.

Code:
>> Running qsfix on E:\TiVo Recordings\Breaking Bad - ABQ_Sun_May_31\Breaking Bad - ABQ_Sun_May_31.mpg ...
C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoReDoTVSuite\vp.vbs" "E:\TiVo Recordings\Breaking Bad - ABQ_Sun_May_31\Breaking Bad - ABQ_Sun_May_31.mpg" "E:\TiVo Recordings\Breaking Bad - ABQ_Sun_May_31\Breaking Bad - ABQ_Sun_May_31.mpg.qsfix" /t1 /d /q /na 
qsfix job completed: 00:00:48
---DONE---
(Renamed E:\TiVo Recordings\Breaking Bad - ABQ_Sun_May_31\Breaking Bad - ABQ_Sun_May_31.mpg.qsfix to E:\TiVo Recordings\Breaking Bad - ABQ_Sun_May_31\Breaking Bad - ABQ_Sun_May_31.mpg)
>> Running comskip on E:\TiVo Recordings\Breaking Bad - ABQ_Sun_May_31\Breaking Bad - ABQ_Sun_May_31.mpg ...
"C:\Program Files (x86)\kmttg\comskip\comskip.exe" --ini "C:\Program Files (x86)\kmttg\comskip\comskip.ini" "E:\TiVo Recordings\Breaking Bad - ABQ_Sun_May_31\Breaking Bad - ABQ_Sun_May_31.mpg" 
comskip job completed: 00:01:45
---DONE---
vprj file not found: E:\TiVo Recordings\Breaking Bad - ABQ_Sun_May_31\Breaking Bad - ABQ_Sun_May_31.VPrj

bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:37 AM   #784
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
When using VideoRedo, the comskip and comcut (VideoRedo's adcut) don't work together. The comskip step creates an edl file and kmttg looks for a VPrj file, which doesn't exist.
It is documented in VideoRedo_configuration that you need edit comskip.ini to enable .VPrj file creation. However I'm already working on this and other similar issues (like looking at task dependencies and enabling what is needed even if not enabled in GUI) for next release.
For this case you bring up I will be using the comskip --videoredo option so that it will output .VPrj regardless of comskip.ini setting.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #785
KateS

Quote:
When you installed did you let kmttg download and install the tools zip file or did you do it manually? It's one of 2 problems:

1. The file permissions are not set to executable on the tool binaries. If this is the case then the following should solve that problem:
From a command window execute the following:
chmod -R u+x "/Volumes/Video workspace/kmttg_v0p6c"

2. The binaries in the tool package are not compatible with your system. AudioNutz kindly generated the OSX binaries package for me but I'm not 100% sure if the binaries are compatible with all OSX 10.5x installations.
Thank you Moyeki – Running the chmod command from Terminal seems to have done it. kmttg decrypted a .tivo file and is busy encoding it.

Quick followup:
1. I notice that ffmpeg is running in a single thread and cpu; since I've got 8 cores available, is there a way of directing it to use more than 1?
-Would it be to use "-threads" in the ffmpeg setup? If so, how would I add that to my encoding profile, and how many would I specify?
-I'm currently using the ff_h264_high_rate profile.
-Status: after 01:20:00 it's on 1046 mb of a 3gb show; For a high quality encoding at full resolution, HB & VH usually take about the same length of time as the show – an hour for an hour-long show (~6gb). so it looks like this is running about 8x slower. I figure I must have to change the configuration somehow… can you help?
2. Is there anything that provides "VRD QS fix" functionality for Mac users?
If not, what do other Mac users do? Jump into Parallels to run a quickstrem fix, then come back to the Mac for transcoding?

To answer your question: kmttg downloaded and installed the tools on it's own. I originally installed v0p6b. When v0p6c was released I swapped out the .jar file per the release notes.
KateS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:34 PM   #786
AudioNutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateS View Post
...Quick followup:
1. I notice that ffmpeg is running in a single thread and cpu; since I've got 8 cores available, is there a way of directing it to use more than 1? [indent]-Would it be to use "-threads" in the ffmpeg setup? If so, how would I add that to my encoding profile, and how many would I specify?
I can answer that one. I use
Code:
-threads auto
as part of my argument for ffmpeg, because I may run kmttg on more than one computer, and I want it to choose the threads based upon availability. Just start your encoding profile like:
Code:
FFMPEG -y -i INPUT -threads auto -s 320x240... blah, blah, blah
Quote:
...-Status: after 01:20:00 it's on 1046 mb of a 3gb show; For a high quality encoding at full resolution, HB & VH usually take about the same length of time as the show – an hour for an hour-long show (~6gb). so it looks like this is running about 8x slower. I figure I must have to change the configuration somehow… can you help?
I've discovered that there is a bug in (The Mac version of) HandBrake that causes really poor performance when you try to force the aspect ratio to correct itself. Avoid using HandBrake on a Mac, or suffer with the speed. On the other hand, I'm getting 2/1 time ratios on my old Dual G5 server with only 2 cores. (30 minutes to encode a 1hr show)

Quote:
...2. Is there anything that provides "VRD QS fix" functionality for Mac users?
If not, what do other Mac users do? Jump into Parallels to run a quickstrem fix, then come back to the Mac for transcoding?
If you're doing an "encode" as your last step of the kmttg process, you won't need it on a Mac. The ffmpeg encode process actually corrects the streams, and the little hiccups are gone.

I tired the VRD QS fix on a PeeeCeee once, and wasn't impressed, becuse it was actually cutting out part of the show where the hiccups were happening. This was causing a second of the dialog to be removed from the show. I get angry when the punchline of the jokes are missing in the sitcoms.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:38 PM   #787
AudioNutz

Quote:
...To answer your question: kmttg downloaded and installed the tools on it's own. I originally installed v0p6b. When v0p6c was released I swapped out the .jar file per the release notes.
This leads me to a question of my own. When I unzip kmttg, I notice that there is a kmttg.jar file there, but there is always a kmttg unix type file sitting there also. I always swap both of these out, as I assume that this is the thing that handles auto-transfers.

Kevin,
Am I right? If not, can you explain what this is for?
Old 06-03-2009, 03:46 PM   #788
moyekj

Quote:
Thank you Moyeki – Running the chmod command from Terminal seems to have done it. kmttg decrypted a .tivo file and is busy encoding it.
That is odd since kmttg installation is supposed to be setting proper permissions on its own and I know through some help with Mac testing that it does work at least for some people - guess I'll have to look into that some more.

Quote:
1. I notice that ffmpeg is running in a single thread and cpu; since I've got 8 cores available, is there a way of directing it to use more than 1?
-Would it be to use "-threads" in the ffmpeg setup? If so, how would I add that to my encoding profile, and how many would I specify?
-Status: after 01:20:00 it's on 1046 mb of a 3gb show; For a high quality encoding at full resolution, HB & VH usually take about the same length of time as the show – an hour for an hour-long show (~6gb). so it looks like this is running about 8x slower. I figure I must have to change the configuration somehow… can you help?
It sounds like it would be a good idea to add a config option where you can specify number of cores to use during encoding. I'll add that to next release. As it is now you can just edit the encode/ff_h264_high_rate.enc file and add in -threads # option somewhere in the middle of the FFMPEG line, or alternatively copy the ff_h264_high_rate.enc to a different name of your choice and make the edit.
Note that when you compare vs. HB & VH encoding times what you encode to has a huge effect. H.264 has by far the most complex/longest encoding times compared to most other encodings. I consistently find in general ffmpeg is much faster than HB given very similar encoding recipes.

Quote:
2. Is there anything that provides "VRD QS fix" functionality for Mac users?
VideoRedo is currently only for Windows unfortunately (though I hear a Mac version is in the works but getting less priority than h.264 encoding). I know next to nothing about Mac platform & software so perhaps someone like AudioNutz can chime in. In general though there seems to be very few batch capable editors to do this properly so I think VideoRedo has that capability cornered for now. [/quote]

Old 06-03-2009, 03:57 PM   #789
AudioNutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
I use
Code:
-threads auto
as part of my argument for ffmpeg, because I may run kmttg on more than one computer, and I want it to choose the threads based upon availability. Just start your encoding profile like:
Code:
FFMPEG -y -i INPUT -threads auto -s 320x240... blah, blah, blah
I spoke too soon, and I need to correct myself. I have a license for "VisualHub" on Mac, so I use a slightly different argument that allows "-threads auto". I just tried this with the public version of ffmpeg, and it doesn't like it.

I would suggest trying "-threads 8" for your 8 core machine.
This is an example:
Code:
# Description (single line, keep short)
<description>
ffmpeg engine, 320x240 libx264 codec

# Encode command or script (single line)
# Known keywords: FFMPEG, MENCODER, PERL, INPUT, OUTPUT, PWD
<command>
FFMPEG -y -i INPUT -threads 8 -s 320x240 -aspect 320:240   -r 29.97   -vcodec libx264  -g 150  -qmin 25  -b 560k  -level 13 -loop 1 -sc_threshold 40 -partp4x4 1 -rc_eq blurCplx^(1-qComp) -refs 3  -qmax 51 -maxrate 700k -keyint_min 40    -async 50  -acodec libfaac  -ar 48000 -ac 2 -ab 128k OUTPUT

# Encoded output file extension
<extension>
mp4

Old 06-03-2009, 03:57 PM   #790
moyekj

Quote:
This leads me to a question of my own. When I unzip kmttg, I notice that there is a kmttg.jar file there, but there is always a kmttg unix type file sitting there also. I always swap both of these out, as I assume that this is the thing that handles auto-transfers.

Kevin,
Am I right? If not, can you explain what this is for?
The kmttg file is a convenience script to launch the kmttg.jar file via command line on linux platforms. For Windows (and maybe Mac) when you install Java it makes a file association automatically to .jar files such that it knows what command to execute if a user double-clicks/launches the file. Under the hood what is being executed is java -jar file.jar (or javaw -jar file.jar for Windows). I assumed Mac OSX (which has mostly unix roots) would have to launch that way as well but sounds like perhaps not.
When running kmttg in auto transfers mode it has to ultimately launch kmttg as "java -jar kmttg.jar -a", so with the convenience script that would be "kmttg -a" on Linux & Mac platforms. I'm surprised you were able to get away with swapping/renaming those 2 files, but I don't know enough about Mac platform to understand how it might work anyway.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #791
AudioNutz

The Mac Terminal command that I've been using to start auto transfers on Mac is:
Code:
/Applications/kmttg_v0p6c/kmttg -a &
(The "&" symbol at the end just allows me to close the Terminal window after the auto transfers begin, so that I don't have it cluttering my screen)

When I run the following:
Code:
/Applications/kmttg_v0p6c/kmttg.jar -a
I get a Permission denied error, even if I change the permissions of the .jar file to all 7's.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #792
moyekj

Quote:
The Mac Terminal command that I've been using to start auto transfers on Mac is:
Code:
/Applications/kmttg_v0p6c/kmttg -a &
(The "&" symbol at the end just allows me to close the Terminal window after the auto transfers begin, so that I don't have it cluttering my screen)

When I run the following:
Code:
/Applications/kmttg_v0p6c/kmttg.jar -a
I get a Permission denied error, even if I change the permissions of the .jar file to all 7's.
OK, so this is exactly same as Linux/Unix model which is what I expected. To launch in GUI mode from command line you would simply not include the "-a" argument.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #793
AudioNutz

When I want the GUI, I double click on the kmttg.jar file, and it magically springs to life.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #794
cherry ghost

Quote:
OK, try this. Download the kmttg.jar file attached here:
http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/issues/detail?id=13

Rename kmttg.jar for your current installation and put the attached one above in it's place and then launch and run kmttg as usual and try your video again. The only difference is the addition of -harddup flag to mencoder which for me helped with a/v sync issue with a short test clip. Not sure if it will help timestamp problems but it's worth a shot.

(With the other flags I found mencoder generated choppy video when played back on Tivo, so those don't seem to be a good option).

If still no luck then not sure what can be done. As I mentioned before VideoRedo is a MUCH better tool for doing mpeg editing/cutting and worth every penny.
No luck with this or the newer mencoder. I'll keep using this kmttg.jar. Oh well, no big deal. Probably time to try out VideoRedo.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #795
moyekj

v0p6d version released

==================
v0p6d (06/04/2009)
==================
http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/wiki/release_notes

NOTE: If upgrading a previous kmttg version in same installation directory, be sure to copy the new encode folder with updated profiles.

ENHANCEMENTS
* SHOW column alphabetical sort now also sorts episodes of same show in date order

* GUI mode will now remember tivo name selected on exit next time you start

* Added encoding cpu_cores config option and added multi-core flags to all encoding profiles
NOTE: If upgrading a previous kmttg installation be sure to copy the new encode folder
with updated profiles. NOTE: New keyword CPU_CORES added to encoding profile files.

* Added --videoredo option to comskip if VideoRedo is configured so that .VPrj file is created
without need to edit comskip.ini

* comskip task now shows % complete for each phase (only comskip, not adscan)

* Added task dependency checking - will automatically add missing tasks if needed.
For example if Ad Cut is selected without Ad Detect and Ad Detect output file is not
available then automatically enables Ad Detect job.

* Added auto transfer START and SHUTDOWN messages so that there is a record of
when auto transfers service/background jobs are started and stopped.

* Added -harddup option to mencoder for better audio/video sync for cut mpeg files

* Changed comskip/comcut labels to Ad Detect/Ad Cut

* Added season # to AtomicParsley processing (so that mpeg4 videos get season # metadata)

FIXES
* Fixed auto mode crash problem related to unmapped mpaaRating when generating pyTivo metadata file.

* Tool installer fix for Mac systems when setting executable file permissions to properly handle
directories with spaces.

* Filter out pyTivo beacons (previously pyTivo server was being treated as a Tivo)

* Fix to apply toolTipsTimeout change when modified in config

Last edited by moyekj : 06-04-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:38 PM   #796
bkdtv

Great improvements!

For next version, you might consider adding the ability to resize the JOB MONITOR columns. With the new version, you can resize the TIVO/FILE columns, but not the JOB MONITOR columns.

For a future version, you might consider separating the TIVO/FILE listings and the JOB MONITOR listings. I was going to suggest a horizontal layout option, but most users probably don't have large, widescreen monitors as I do. A better alternative might be tabs across the top or down the left side -- you could have separate tabs for Files, TiVo, and Jobs (x), where x is the number of currently queued jobs. You could have one tab for TiVo, or separate tabs for each added/detected TiVo. On the Files and TiVo tabs, you could display the "start jobs" button and job options below the file/program listings.

Edit from below: If a future version moves "Files" to a separate tab, it would be a nice if we could select a compatible video file on that tab and click "send" to push it to a particular TiVo.

Eventually, you might enhance the "auto transfers" function to work in two directions, so one could automatically "send" (push) back recordings with commercials removed.

For a future version, you might also consider the addition of a graphical space indicator for the selected TiVo. I have no need for this, but I know a number of people like that feature in TiVoPlaylist. A horizontal bar would probably work well as a space indicator; you could ignore suggestions / deleted items, or you could display those in a different color. Of course, the user would have to enter their capacity in File|Configure.

I don't think you'd want similar job monitor and space indicator graphs on the screen at the same time, so that might make more sense for a future version that separates the TiVo and JOBS listings into separate tabs or columns. In the meantime, you could display a numeric value (% available and/or available capacity in GB) in the status window when the user selects the TiVo. Or you could add a traditional status bar at the bottom of the window, and display the info there.

A status bar at the bottom could also show other information, such as jobs completed, jobs remaining, and total job run time. If you were to implement tabs at some point, you could show specific information in the status bar for each selected tab.

Last edited by bkdtv : 06-08-2009 at 03:38 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:10 PM   #797
abmcconnell

Hi,

Just started using this app. On "improvement" might be that you start asking for contributions. I think you've done a fine job here. Running on Mac 10.5.7. Straightforward install and it works.

Cannot figure out why unencrypted .Tivo file (.mpg after decrypt) has no sound when played back via Quicktime, though all seems fine if I use VLC or ship the resulting .mpg back to the Tivo unit and play it there.

Thoughts?

-Alex

Last edited by abmcconnell : 06-05-2009 at 03:28 PM.
abmcconnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:33 PM   #798
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by abmcconnell View Post
Hi,
Cannot figure out why unencrypted .Tivo file (.mpg after decrypt) has no sound when played back via Quicktime, though all seems fine if I use VLC or ship the resulting .mpg back to the Tivo unit and play it there.
From what I recall Quicktime player does not support AC3 audio by default (supports Apple's AAC format instead). There may be extra codecs/plugins available to enable that. VLC comes with codecs for almost everything by default which is why it works there.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #799
ajayabb

Running KMTTG with Windows XP and Videoredo TV suite. QS fix launches without a problem but I get the following error with Ad detective

adscan failed (exit code: 3 ) - check command: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe //nologo "C:\Program Files\VideoReDoTVSuite\AdScan.vbs" "H:\My Tivo Recordings\Land of the Lost - Flying Dutchman_Fri_Jun_05.mpg" "H:\My Tivo Recordings\Land of the Lost - Flying Dutchman_Fri_Jun_05.VPrj" /q
vprj file not found: H:\My Tivo Recordings\Land of the Lost - Flying Dutchman_Fri_Jun_05.VPrj

2 Roamio Plus Tivos
1 Tivo Mini
Running Pytivo and Streambaby
ajayabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #800
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayabb View Post
Running KMTTG with Windows XP and Videoredo TV suite. QS fix launches without a problem but I get the following error with Ad detective

adscan failed (exit code: 3 ) - check command: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe //nologo "C:\Program Files\VideoReDoTVSuite\AdScan.vbs" "H:\My Tivo Recordings\Land of the Lost - Flying Dutchman_Fri_Jun_05.mpg" "H:\My Tivo Recordings\Land of the Lost - Flying Dutchman_Fri_Jun_05.VPrj" /q
vprj file not found: H:\My Tivo Recordings\Land of the Lost - Flying Dutchman_Fri_Jun_05.VPrj
There are no further errors reported below the above? VideoRedo is exiting with exit code 3 (exit code 0 is what is normally expected) and not creating the .VPrj file for some reason, so that is the problem.
Try bringing up a "cmd" window and run the above command from there to see if there are any errors reported. If still no clues then run without the /q argument at the end to see if there is any more information provided.
If still no luck then open VideoRedo in graphical mode and run AdScan on that same mpg file manually to see if there are any issues.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #801
bkdtv

Quote:

Make sure you are using the latest version (v0p6d), uploaded yesterday.

Note you may want to uncheck the option to "Use VRD Adscan instead of comskip." The commercial detection in the latest version of comskip -- included with kmttg -- is much more accurate than VRD Adscan, in my experience. You'll still want the VideoRedo path specified if you have it, because VideoRedo is much better than comcut for cutting detected commercials.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:43 AM   #802
bkdtv

Here's a post from someone on AVS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 View Post
Background: Archiving TiVo recordings using kmttg to external drive on PC for later recall to TiVo using pyTivo.

Using latest kmttg v0p6d.

Only have [ ]metadata processing checked as I want to archive the .TiVo file and then use pyTivo later to pull it back to the TiVo.

Problem#1: The metadata filename ends up incorrect. i.e. d/l_filename.mpg.txt instead of d/l_filename.TiVo.txt
(Yes, I know I can rename each file, I've been doing that)

Problem#2: The recording duration in the metadata file is always 00:00.
(Yes, I know I can hand edit each file, I've been doing that)

Any ideas?

UPDATE: Just checked the release notes for kmttg and found this

Quote:
v0.6c (05/30/2009)
ENHANCEMENTS
Removed 'duration' field from metadata files as pyTivo won't use them anyway.
TRUE?
I was able to confirm problem #1. If you only select metadata, and not decrypt, you get a d/l_filename.mpg.txt file.

I believe issue #2 was discusssed in this thread a few days ago.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:47 AM   #803
moyekj

For #1 it's kind of pointless to generate metadata files for .TiVo files isn't it since they have embeded metadata anyway? Haven't tried it, but sending .TiVo files back to to Tivo via pyTivo does not need metadata file I would think.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:02 AM   #804
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
For #1 it's kind of pointless to generate metadata files for .TiVo files isn't it since they have embeded metadata anyway? Haven't tried it, but sending .TiVo files back to to Tivo via pyTivo does not need metadata file I would think.
Yes and no. When you pull a .TiVo file, the TiVo itself extracts the embedded metadata. However, before you actually pull it, when you're just viewing it in a pyTivo video share, pyTivo doesn't extract the metadata, so it doesn't display it. I'm working on changing that now, but in the meantime, it would sorta make sense to have metadata files for .TiVo files, yes.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #805
ajayabb

A feature request would be to be able to use KmttG to push to PC from Tivo. Galleon utilizes a TTG feature which allows you to send your programming to your PC from the TIVO through HME. Just a thought. Great Program all the same!

2 Roamio Plus Tivos
1 Tivo Mini
Running Pytivo and Streambaby
ajayabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #806
shwru980r

I used kmttg to downloaded the incredibles movie that recorded on my tivo hd. The file is 16 gigabytes. How can I burn this file to a standard DVD?
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:09 AM   #807
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
I used kmttg to downloaded the incredibles movie that recorded on my tivo hd. The file is 16 gigabytes. How can I burn this file to a standard DVD?
That is a loaded question. First of all since it's HD it needs to be re-encoded to DVD compatible mpeg2 program format which will mean you lose a lot of quality. A single layer DVD fits around 4GB, a double layer around 8GB or so. Therefore you may want to consider if that's really what you want to do. You can already use pyTivo or streambaby to stream the movie back to your Tivo on demand without losing quality for example.

Once you decode the .TiVo file to .mpg there are many, many programs to do what you want. VideoRedo TVSuite is an example of a non-free solution to do it. There are several free ways of doing it as well but beyond the scope of this thread to go through all the details and different methods - Google is your friend.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:55 PM   #808
bkdtv

Quote:
A feature request would be to be able to use KmttG to push to PC from Tivo. Galleon utilizes a TTG feature which allows you to send your programming to your PC from the TIVO through HME. Just a thought. Great Program all the same!
If a future version moves "Files" to a separate tab, I agree it would be a nice if we could select a compatible video file and click "send" to push it to a particular TiVo.

Eventually, you might enhance the "auto transfers" function to work in two directions, so one could automatically "send" (push) back recordings with commercials removed.

Last edited by bkdtv : 06-06-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #809
castlemoyle

Wow! This is a great application! Thank you Moyekj! Discovered it this morning and I've played with it and am having fun. Plus it doesn't (so far anyway) affect my DVR/net connections like Desktop 2.7.

I think I've seen an answer to my only question, but if I have a show unencoded to straight .mpg format, there's no reason to keep the .tivo file, right? And so I could convert all of my earlier .tivo files to .mpg and throw away the .tivo files.

Thanks again for a great project.

John
castlemoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:48 PM   #810
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlemoyle View Post
Wow! This is a great application! Thank you Moyekj! Discovered it this morning and I've played with it and am having fun. Plus it doesn't (so far anyway) affect my DVR/net connections like Desktop 2.7.

I think I've seen an answer to my only question, but if I have a show unencoded to straight .mpg format, there's no reason to keep the .tivo file, right? And so I could convert all of my earlier .tivo files to .mpg and throw away the .tivo files.

Thanks again for a great project.

John
.tivo files also include some 'metadata' (information about the show, like airdate, actors, etc). You can ask kmttg to export that information in a text format so tools like pytivo can later use it when pushing the movie back to the tivo.

Or, if you don't much care for the extra information, then just convert .tivo->.mpg and throw away the .tivo files (as they are redundant, and not usable on other computers)

Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote