TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #721
eman31

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
You can simply set output_edl=0 in comskip.ini file to turn off edl file generation.
Note however that with current coding kmttg always expects a .edl file output to be produced by comskip so disabling that results in an error message by kmttg. For your case you can of course simply ignore the error message. I can probably make a change for kmttg to check for either .VPrj or .edl if VRD is configured.
I did try that with the previous setup and it was still generating the .edl file. I'll give it another try with the new one and see if it stops it.
eman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:28 PM   #722
cburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
His feature request jarred my memory. I constantly find myself re-clicking all of the checkboxes at the top of the kmttg window when I launch the GUI. It might be nice to have kmttg remember which boxes were checked the last time I had the GUI open.
Yeah I noticed this with my testing of the auto cut and push that I was getting help with as I kept forgetting to check the boxes I needed checked.
cburbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #723
bkdtv

Quote:
Well the problem is one does not necessarily have to start from download or a .TiVo file. For example for comskip you can be in FILES mode and start from .mpg. Same applies to comcut and later steps. Even in download mode, kmttg will skip generation of files if they already exist, so it's possible to jump directly to comskip or comcut or later steps without prior steps enabled.
Perhaps you could treat file and TiVo modes a bit differently? Or when the user checks comcut, look in appropriate folder for the edl file, and if it does not exist, automatically check and gray out the option for comskip?

A few more suggestions:
  1. Add tool tips with concise explanations of each option (metadata, decrypt, etc).

2. Add a "Simple mode" setting in File -> Configure. Make that the default. When checked, use more intuitive labels such as "Save as MPG," "Commercial Detect," and "Commercial Remove." Outside of this thread and Windows Media Center forums, most people have no idea what decrypt, comskip, and comcut do. Those options might as well be written in Chinese.

3. Add a field for encoding profile title in whatever you use to display and update the encoding profiles. Instead of "hb_xbox360," use that field to label a profile as "Xbox360 (handbrake)" or "Xbox360 (hb).

All of these changes fall under the category of "idiot proofing," more of which is necessary to appeal to a wider audience. As it is now, many users are confused by the options. I've recommended kmttg to a number of users and this is what they've told me via PM.

Last edited by bkdtv : 05-29-2009 at 07:07 PM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:55 PM   #724
cburbs

Quote:
pyTivo push (or pull) makes a COPY of the file, so no it won't be gone from the folder. You need to leave it in the folder at least until the pyTivo push completes. Several clues if it's working or not:
* With the sample script you need to get exit code = 0 reported by kmttg for a successful push
* Check the pyTivo console (or logs) for push messages
* Check your destination Tivo to see if the show is being transferred (blue light will be on while the transfer is happening)

NOTE: The c:\home\dvd path was what I used for testing. There's no requirement that's what you have to use, just change it to suit your needs. The only requirement is that the pyTivo.conf path and the path where your source videos are have to match for this script. (One could make a fancier script to strip out that requirement, but to keep things simple it's easier as is).

P.S. In case it's not obvious, for this example you have to have your pyTivo.conf configured properly with a kmttg video section and pyTivo has to be up and running before you try a push.
Ok I looked at the log file and I am getting this error -
2009-05-29 16:51:30,500 INFO pyTivo: 127.0.0.1 [29/May/2009 16:51:30] code 400, message Bad request syntax ('GET /TiVoConnect?Command=Push&Container=My Videos&File=/Bob the Builder - Spud Hits the Airwaves_Fri_May_22_cut.mpg&tsn=Living Room HTTP/1.1')
2009-05-29 16:51:30,500 INFO pyTivo: 127.0.0.1 [29/May/2009 16:51:30] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=Push&Container=My Videos&File=/Bob the Builder - Spud Hits the Airwaves_Fri_May_22_cut.mpg&tsn=Living Room HTTP/1.1" 400 -

When I manually do the push the code looks like this -
GET /TiVoConnect?Command=Push&Container=My+Videos&File=%5CBob+the +Builder+-+Spud+Hits+the+Airwaves_Fri_May_22_cut.mpg&tsn=Living+Room HTTP/1.1" 302 -

My new code is at this point but still not pushing -
"GET /TiVoConnect?Command=Push&Container=My+Videos&File=%Bob the Builder - Spud Hits the Airwaves_Fri_May_22_cut.mpg&tsn=Living+Room HTTP/1.1" 400

It looks like you need a plus sign wherever there is a space? But how do I accomplish this ?

Last edited by cburbs : 05-29-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:30 PM   #725
moyekj

cburbs, make the following change in the push.py script (so as to url encode the video file name):
CHANGE:
file = os.path.basename(sys.argv[1])
TO:
file = urllib2.quote(os.path.basename(sys.argv[1]))

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:32 PM   #726
AudioNutz

While we're talking about feature requests for the GUI, it might also be nice to remember the size of the window too. This is another one of those things I keep finding myself adjusting.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:46 PM   #727
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Perhaps you could treat file and TiVo modes a bit differently? Or when the user checks comcut, look in appropriate folder for the edl file, and if it does not exist, automatically check and gray out the option for comskip?
That type of decision could only be done once user selects shows to process and starts the jobs, since otherwise you don't know which files to check for. I don't disagree that there could be more logic added to avoid user getting into trouble (idiot proofing as you put it), but at the same time I don't like programs that go out of their way to handcuff more advanced users that know what they are doing.

Quote:
[*] Add tool tips with concise explanations of each option (metadata, decrypt, etc).
That is a great suggestion and now easy to do with Java and I already started work on that. Also will be adding option to turn off tooltips as I know they can be annoying.

Quote:
[*] Add a "Simple mode" setting in File -> Configure. Make that the default. When checked, use more intuitive labels such as "Save as MPG," "Commercial Detect," and "Commercial Remove." Outside of this thread and Windows Media Center forums, most people have no idea what decrypt, comskip, and comcut do. Those options might as well be written in Chinese.
With tooltips turned on I don't really think that's necessary, especially since documentation also has at least some basic explanation of all the options.

Quote:
[*] Add a field for encoding profile title in whatever you use to display and update the encoding profiles. Instead of "hb_xbox360," use that field to label a profile as "Xbox360 (handbrake)" or "Xbox360 (hb).[/list]
Again through documentation and tooltips it will be made abundantly clear that ff_ indicates ffmpeg and hb_ indicates handbrake. In fact the handbrake description labels that appear after you make a profile selection all start with Handbrake already, so I think it's pretty obvious already. There is a description label that is updated for each selection (granted that is technical information that doesn't mean much to a lot of users). If you make your own profiles you can put whatever description you want, and nothing stops you updating existing profile descriptions. And finally most of the profile names give a good indication just by the name what they represent, so I think while there is room for more clarity it's a little overkill to make longer names.

Appreciate all the suggestions and please keep them coming.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:47 PM   #728
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
While we're talking about feature requests for the GUI, it might also be nice to remember the size of the window too. This is another one of those things I keep finding myself adjusting.
Already coded in there for next release along with remembering option selections.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:05 AM   #729
cherry ghost

Is it possible to add a drop down(browse) for the various output folders? If not all, then maybe just the encode output dir.

I noticed today that a cut file that is pulled back to the TiVo with pyTiVo didn't retain the original recording date, but instead had today's date. Didn't test with an uncut.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:08 AM   #730
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
wmcbrine can answer more concisely, but I think the answer is basically yes if you have the proper accompanying pyTivo metadata files and you copy back with pyTivo.
Pulled files will group on valid seriesIds, if the seriesId record is still in the TiVo's database. Pushed files will group on either seriesId or title, and the seriesId need not be valid. But note that pushed files will only group with other pushed files -- you can't get them to go into an existing folder, unless that folder was created by a push. Pulled files will group into your regular Season-Pass-created folders.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:57 AM   #731
hrolf555

KMTTG and Windows Home server

I just have to tell you VERY WELL DONE! I run a Windows Home Server from HP and want to download my videos automatically. The Tivo Desktop has problems with this all the time. It either gets locked up or crashes. So far, it seems KMTTG is fantastic. It's small, light and gets the job done. This is awesome.

I do have one question about the title of show.

I want to have name the show(if available):

Show Title_Episode#_Episode Title
As an example: Stargate Atlantis_EP#122_Letters from Pegasus.

I have it setup right now as: [mainTitle]["_Ep#" EpisodeNumber][_episodeTitle] But I am getting "Stargate Atlantis_EP#122_episode title.tivo.

I want the name of the show to come up first then the episode # so I can keep things in the right order.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Last edited by hrolf555 : 05-30-2009 at 10:27 AM. Reason: updating the question i forgot
hrolf555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:48 AM   #732
hrolf555

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrolf555 View Post
I do have one question about the title of show.

I want to have name the show(if available):

Show Title_Episode#_Episode Title
As an example: Stargate Atlantis_EP#122_Letters from Pegasus.

I have it setup right now as: [mainTitle]["_Ep#" EpisodeNumber][_episodeTitle] But I am getting "Stargate Atlantis_EP#122_episode title.tivo.

I want the name of the show to come up first then the episode # so I can keep things in the right order.

Anyone have a suggestion?
Forget it I just figured it out. Some of the shows I tried don't have all the information needed. I tried it one some other ones(of course the sci-fi shows have all the info). This works: [mainTitle]["_Ep#" EpisodeNumber] [episodeTitle]

I would like there to be a "_" between the Episode number and the episode title but I can live w/o it.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:10 PM   #733
moyekj

Quote:
Forget it I just figured it out. Some of the shows I tried don't have all the information needed. I tried it one some other ones(of course the sci-fi shows have all the info). This works: [mainTitle]["_Ep#" EpisodeNumber] [episodeTitle]

I would like there to be a "_" between the Episode number and the episode title but I can live w/o it.
To add the "_" before episodeTitle simply change it to:
[mainTitle]["_Ep#" EpisodeNumber] ["_" episodeTitle]

Old 05-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #734
hrolf555

Title syntax

Quote:
To add the "_" before episodeTitle simply change it to:
[mainTitle]["_Ep#" EpisodeNumber] ["_" episodeTitle]
Damn, I don't know why that didn't work when I first tried something like that. Dude you are the MAN!

Now if only you could remotely delete programs after download. I wish Tivo would enable that kind of feature.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:34 PM   #735
moyekj

v0.6c released

v0.6c (05/30/2009)

release_notes

NOTE: To upgrade from a previous java version easiest thing to do is replace the kmttg.jar file in previous installation with the one in the kmttg_v0p6c.zip file.

ENHANCEMENTS

* Added toolTips to most GUI components (with option to disable)

* Remembers last main GUI selections and window width/height when re-starting GUI.

* Added File Browser option for configure window for setting file and directory entries.

(Double-click in the field to bring up File Browser).

* Added File->Save messages to file menu entry as a convenient way to save kmttg message window contents to a file.

* Added option to use VRD AdScan instead of comskip for commercial detection

* Added error message display if custom job fails (exit status is non-zero).

* Removed 'duration' field from metadata files as pyTivo won't use them anyway.

FIXES

* Fix to advanced file naming constructs to allow spaces in literal strings.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:52 PM   #736
hrolf555

Quote:
v0.6c (05/30/2009)
* Added option to use VRD AdScan instead of comskip for commercial detection
I just installed VideoReDo on my server and I can start it w/o any problems. I selected the option to use VRD instead of comskip. On the main screen it shows VRD QS fix is grayed out. Is it supposed to do that?

Should I select comskip and just know that it will use VRD instead? Thanks!
Old 05-30-2009, 04:55 PM   #737
moyekj

Quote:
I just installed VideoReDo on my server and I can start it w/o any problems. I selected the option to use VRD instead of comskip. On the main screen it shows VRD QS fix is grayed out. Is it supposed to do that?

Should I select comskip and just know that it will use VRD instead? Thanks!
Under kmttg configuration you have to specify the path to your VideoRedo installation in the VRD path field. As an example on my Windows Vista 64 system that path is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoRedoPlus

Old 05-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #738
hrolf555

Quote:
Under kmttg configuration you have to specify the path to your VideoRedo installation in the VRD path field. As an example on my Windows Vista 64 system that path is:
Thanks I missed that. DOH
Old 05-30-2009, 06:35 PM   #739
bkdtv

Quote:
With tooltips turned on I don't really think that's necessary, especially since documentation also has at least some basic explanation of all the options.
As a general rule, people do not read documentation. If people have to read documentation to understand a piece of software, they are not going to use that software.

I would still advocate a change in the labeling. Even "AdScan" or "Ad Detect" and "AdCut" or "Ad Remove" would be better than comcut and comskip, both of which could be mentioned in the tooltip. These may seem like trivial changes, but they are intuitive labels, whereas comskip and comcut are no more helpful to the average TiVo user than blah1 and blah2.

Quote:
Again through documentation and tooltips it will be made abundantly clear that ff_ indicates ffmpeg and hb_ indicates handbrake. In fact the handbrake description labels that appear after you make a profile selection all start with Handbrake already, so I think it's pretty obvious already.
Most TiVo users have no idea what Handbrake and ffmpeg are. As far as most users are concerned, those are technical terms. The point of changing "hb_iPhone" to "iPhone (Handbrake)" or "iPhone (hb)" or "iPhone_hb" is not to clarify what those abbreviations mean, but to emphasize the target device and de-emphasize the encoding tool. This also puts the devices in alphabetical order, rather than in order by encoding tool.

You probably noticed that TiVo does not mention "Mainconcept" anywhere in TiVo Desktop. I do think it is useful for more advanced users to know the tool, but this information is not relevant for most TiVo users, so I see no reason to emphasize it with a prefix, as you'd want for an advanced encoding tool with a very small audience (ex: MeGUI).

I really like kmttg and I think the majority of TiVo users could benefit from it. For that reason, I would like to see you appeal to a wider audience; to do that, you need to "dumb it down" and "make it pretty" for 95% of TiVo users. Now, it is up to you to define your target audience; you may wish to keep it as more of an enthusiast tool for 5% of TiVo users. That's your decision, but I think you could "dumb it down" in certain ways to widen its appeal, without hurting its value for enthusiasts.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #740
hrolf555

Quote:
So last question...I promise.

I read the instructions to mean the application will open VRD and create a project file, if needed.
I edited the comskip .ini to change output_videoredo=0 to output_videoredo=1

ButI get the following error:

1. Unable to play video: Error opening DirectSound audio device

2. Then I get this in the job status box at the bottom.

adscan failed (exit code: 3 ) - check command: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe //nologo "C:\Program Files\VideoReDoTVSuite\AdScan.vbs" "D:\shares\Videos\Tivo to Go- KMMTTG\MPG output\Torchwood - Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang_Sat_May_23.mpg" "D:\shares\Videos\Tivo to Go- KMMTTG\MPG output\Torchwood - Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang_Sat_May_23.VPrj" /q
vprj file not found: D:\shares\Videos\Tivo to Go- KMMTTG\MPG output\Torchwood - Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang_Sat_May_23.VPrj

Any ideas? I wonder if it is because I'm running Windows Home Server, which is basically a stripped down version of Windows Server 2003.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:34 PM   #741
moyekj

Quote:
So last question...I promise.

I read the instructions to mean the application will open VRD and create a project file, if needed.
I edited the comskip .ini to change output_videoredo=0 to output_videoredo=1

ButI get the following error:

1. Unable to play video: Error opening DirectSound audio device

2. Then I get this in the job status box at the bottom.

adscan failed (exit code: 3 ) - check command: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe //nologo "C:\Program Files\VideoReDoTVSuite\AdScan.vbs" "D:\shares\Videos\Tivo to Go- KMMTTG\MPG output\Torchwood - Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang_Sat_May_23.mpg" "D:\shares\Videos\Tivo to Go- KMMTTG\MPG output\Torchwood - Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang_Sat_May_23.VPrj" /q
vprj file not found: D:\shares\Videos\Tivo to Go- KMMTTG\MPG output\Torchwood - Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang_Sat_May_23.VPrj

Any ideas? I wonder if it is because I'm running Windows Home Server, which is basically a stripped down version of Windows Server 2003.
The above AdScan.vbs command looks correct and is what is supposed to create the .VPrj file which VideoRedo will then use in comcut step to strip out commercials. But it looks like VideoRedo is failing to process your mpeg file on that server. Are you able to run VideoRedo in graphical mode on that server and process that mpeg file? It sounds like the answer is no to that question because of some kind of VideoRedo audio related problem.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:59 PM   #742
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
I would still advocate a change in the labeling. Even "AdScan" or "Ad Detect" and "AdCut" or "Ad Remove" would be better than comcut and comskip, both of which could be mentioned in the tooltip. These may seem like trivial changes, but they are intuitive labels, whereas comskip and comcut are no more helpful to the average TiVo user than blah1 and blah2.
Understood and really is trivial to change the displayed labels so I don't see any problem in doing so.

Quote:
Most TiVo users have no idea what Handbrake and ffmpeg are. As far as most users are concerned, those are technical terms. The point of changing "hb_iPhone" to "iPhone (Handbrake)" or "iPhone (hb)" or "iPhone_hb" is not to clarify what those abbreviations mean, but to emphasize the target device and de-emphasize the encoding tool. This also puts the devices in alphabetical order, rather than in order by encoding tool.
The reason I used the prefixes in the first place was so they would organize by encoding tool. When I first added Handbrake support they were mixed along with ffmpeg profiles and there were some murmurs about that. Personally the encoding tool is the most important piece of information to me, but I understand your point that most don't care. Note that there are implications of changing names at this point for those that have setup auto transfers with encodings (since the auto transfers setup uses the encoding file names), so any changes should be well thought out and not constantly changing such that it becomes a big hassle to keep updating auto transfers setup. I really like the flexible setup that is in place now where it's pretty easy to add your own profiles and use whatever tool you like, but it's likely most users never create their own. But I certainly don't want to take any flexibility away.
I guess it would be good to hear opinions about this from other users and see if there is some kind of consensus out there.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:53 PM   #743
cherry ghost

Another problem with cut shows being pulled back to the TiVo with pyTiVo. When I go to play the show, the status bar is blank but I can actually watch the entire show. The status bar shows total time correctly(49 minutes), but Duration shows 0:00 (Partial). Fast forward and rewind are disabled and skip back goes all the way back to the beginning regardless of where I'm at in the program. Info page shows Disk usage of 3.92 GB.

Can sort by show be set to retain the sort by date?
Old 05-30-2009, 10:37 PM   #744
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Another problem with cut shows being pulled back to the TiVo with pyTiVo. When I go to play the show, the status bar is blank but I can actually watch the entire show. The status bar shows total time correctly(49 minutes), but Duration shows 0:00 (Partial). Fast forward and rewind are disabled and skip back goes all the way back to the beginning regardless of where I'm at in the program. Info page shows Disk usage of 3.92 GB.
Is this automatic cuts with mencoder? Not surprising if so. VideoRedo is a much better option for cutting without messing up the video.

Quote:
Can sort by show be set to retain the sort by date?
I don't understand the question?

Old 05-30-2009, 11:00 PM   #745
cherry ghost

Quote:
Is this automatic cuts with mencoder? Not surprising if so. VideoRedo is a much better option for cutting without messing up the video.
I don't have Videoredo. The boxes I have checked are metadata, decrypt, comskip, and comcut. Pulling back the uncut.mpg works normally.

Quote:
I don't understand the question?
Like in TiVo Desktop when you "Pick Recordings To Transfer" and "Sort: Alphabetically" it lists all shows alphabetically by show name-->date recorded, not by show name-->episode title. No big deal if it can't be done.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:15 AM   #746
moyekj

Quote:
I don't have Videoredo. The boxes I have checked are metadata, decrypt, comskip, and comcut. Pulling back the uncut.mpg works normally.
Yes so in that case "comcut" step is cutting the video using mencoder that is introducing glitches in the video. I've never had much luck with mencoder... VideoRedo is worth every penny.

Quote:
Like in TiVo Desktop when you "Pick Recordings To Transfer" and "Sort: Alphabetically" it lists all shows alphabetically by show name-->date recorded, not by show name-->episode title. No big deal if it can't be done.
Well you can click on the title of any of the columns in kmttg to sort by that column in either order: So that means by expiration, date, channel, size or name in either ascending or descending order.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:53 AM   #747
cherry ghost

Quote:
Well you can click on the title of any of the columns in kmttg to sort by that column in either order: So that means by expiration, date, channel, size or name in either ascending or descending order.
I'm not explaining it right. An example, leaving out expiration, channel, and size

Wed 02/18/2009 Arrested Development - Exit Strategy
Mon 02/16/2009 Arrested Development - Fakin' It
Tue 02/17/2009 Arrested Development - Family Ties

Those are sorted alphabetically by name of show and then episode title.
TiVo Desktop would sort them like this

Apathetically by name of show, but when name of show is the same it goes by date recorded, not episode title. Again, no big deal if it can't be done.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:57 AM   #748
cburbs

Quote:
cburbs, make the following change in the push.py script (so as to url encode the video file name):
CHANGE:
file = os.path.basename(sys.argv[1])
TO:
file = urllib2.quote(os.path.basename(sys.argv[1]))
Thanks that worked.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:26 AM   #749
moyekj

Quote:
I'm not explaining it right. An example, leaving out expiration, channel, and size

Those are sorted alphabetically by name of show and then episode title.
TiVo Desktop would sort them like this

Apathetically by name of show, but when name of show is the same it goes by date recorded, not episode title. Again, no big deal if it can't be done.
Got it, and no can't be done with current release. It is possible to implement with a custom sort routine for Show column. I'll add it to todo list.

EDIT: This was a good suggestion and is now implemented for next release.

Last edited by moyekj : 05-31-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:46 PM   #750
bkdtv

Does anyone use Windows 7? I'm not able to use the VideoRedo with kmttg under Windows7. I always get this error:

I get the same error from the command prompt (administrator):

I confirmed that all the vbs files are in the VideoRedo directory. I'm using VideoRedo TVSuite v3.1.5.574.

No, I don't actually watch that program. It was recorded by my pilot ARWL.