TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #691
cburbs

So after the show is re encoded what options are there for sending it back to the tivo box?
cburbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #692
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post
So after the show is re encoded what options are there for sending it back to the tivo box?
There are quite a few options, a couple of which are:
1. pyTivo allows you to copy almost any video file to your Series 2 or Series 3 Tivos. In normal "pull" mode only mpeg2 is natively supported so incompatible files are transcoded on the fly to mpeg2 if necessary (H.264 is also transcoded in this mode). pyTivo also has an option to "push" files to your Tivos - i.e. send a physical copy (or a transcoded copy) to your Tivos. In push mode natively compatible files such as mpeg2 & H.264 are not transcoded if pushing to Series 3 Tivos.

2. Streambaby allows you to stream almost any video file back to your Series 3 Tivos. For certain formats (mpeg2 & H.264) you can stream them to your Tivo with no transcoding. For formats that Tivo can't decode Streambaby will transcode to mpeg2 on the fly to send them back. Streambaby also has option to "push" files to your Tivos - capability was copied/translated from the pyTivo implementation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #693
AudioNutz

Quote:
Kevin gave you the answers for PeeeCeee. If you are using a Macintosh, the options are:

Leopard OS (Mac OS X 10.5.x)
1. PyTiVoX
2. pyTiVo
3. TiVo Desktop

Tiger OS (Mac OS X 10.4.x)
1. pyTiVo
2. TiVo Desktop
Old 05-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #694
eman31

I just started using this program a few weeks ago, and really like it. If I change over to the Java version do I need to start from scratch or will it use settings from the last one?

Another quick question, not sure if anyone can answer but I have been trying to figure it out myself with no luck. Right now when I am downloading shows I have it set to pull the metdata, decrypt, quickfix with Videoredo and then run comskip for the vrd project data. After everything runs I end up with a file for a project log for comskip, a text file with a bunch of numbers, the metadata text file and the project file for vrd. Is there anyway to get just the metadata and vrd project files without the rest?
eman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:38 PM   #695
cburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
There are quite a few options, a couple of which are:
1. pyTivo allows you to copy almost any video file to your Series 2 or Series 3 Tivos. In normal "pull" mode only mpeg2 is natively supported so incompatible files are transcoded on the fly to mpeg2 if necessary (H.264 is also transcoded in this mode). pyTivo also has an option to "push" files to your Tivos - i.e. send a physical copy (or a transcoded copy) to your Tivos. In push mode natively compatible files such as mpeg2 & H.264 are not transcoded if pushing to Series 3 Tivos.

2. Streambaby allows you to stream almost any video file back to your Series 3 Tivos. For certain formats (mpeg2 & H.264) you can stream them to your Tivo with no transcoding. For formats that Tivo can't decode Streambaby will transcode to mpeg2 on the fly to send them back. Streambaby also has option to "push" files to your Tivos - capability was copied/translated from the pyTivo implementation.
Sorry should have stated a few things - PC no mac and that I was aware of streambaby and pyTivo.

So is there any way of setting something up that once the file is encoded pytivo can send it back once dropped into a certain folder?

I will do some digging on this but I just started looking at this and I played with PyTivo a month ago. I also use streambaby alot for streaming movies to my tivo.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #696
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman31 View Post
I just started using this program a few weeks ago, and really like it. If I change over to the Java version do I need to start from scratch or will it use settings from the last one?
The new Java version is much easier to install so starting from scratch is not painful. However the config.ini file is backwards compatible, so you can just copy the config.ini file from the Perl installation over to the Java installation directory (put it in same folder as kmttg.jar file) if you like to preserve all your settings.

Quote:
Another quick question, not sure if anyone can answer but I have been trying to figure it out myself with no luck. Right now when I am downloading shows I have it set to pull the metdata, decrypt, quickfix with Videoredo and then run comskip for the vrd project data. After everything runs I end up with a file for a project log for comskip, a text file with a bunch of numbers, the metadata text file and the project file for vrd. Is there anyway to get just the metadata and vrd project files without the rest?
Not without some extra work. In the new Java version there is an option to run a "custom" task (always the last task to run) which you could setup to execute a batch script that removes files you don't want.
In next release I am adding an option to use VRD AdScan instead of comskip for commercial detection, and its only output is a .VPrj file, so perhaps that will suit you better.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #697
moyekj

Quote:
So is there any way of setting something up that once the file is encoded pytivo can send it back once dropped into a certain folder?
pyTivo doesn't have an "autowatch" mode to do that. However the way pyTivo works is you just have to send an HTTP request to pyTivo to initiate a push, so it's conceivable to setup a "custom" task in kmttg that does that automatically. For example setup a "custom" task which executes a python script which sends the HTTP request to pyTivo server. For that example of course you would have to make sure that a pyTivo share is setup to look at the folder where kmttg encoded files end up. I'll see if I can setup a prototype script to do something like that. If there is enough interest I suppose I could setup a dedicated named task for doing it, but for prototype purposes using "custom" should be good enough.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #698
eman31

Quote:
The new Java version is much easier to install so starting from scratch is not painful. However the config.ini file is backwards compatible, so you can just copy the config.ini file from the Perl installation over to the Java installation directory (put it in same folder as kmttg.jar file) if you like to preserve all your settings.
Saving my setting were my main concern so that is a relief.

Quote:
Not without some extra work. In the new Java version there is an option to run a "custom" task (always the last task to run) which you could setup to execute a batch script that removes files you don't want.
In next release I am adding an option to use VRD AdScan instead of comskip for commercial detection, and its only output is a .VPrj file, so perhaps that will suit you better.
It's not that big of a deal, I just figured there was something simple that I was missing

I have played around with the VRD commercial skip but find the comskip to be more accurate but may try it again when you ad it.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 05-28-2009, 01:47 AM   #699
moyekj

Quote:
OK as proof of concept I created a "custom" task for kmttg that initiates a pyTivo push. Note that I used python script in this example since you need python installed anyway if you are running pyTivo. But any scripting language that can make http calls would work.

1. In kmttg config add the following for custom command (adjust as needed according to your python installation and location where you put the script:
"c:\Python25\python.exe" "c:\home\kmttg_v0p6b\push.py" [encodeFile]

2. Run kmttg as usual and enable "custom" task to be run. In my example I had "encode" and "custom" selected. Note the [encodeFile] argument which kmttg will replace with full path to the encoded video file when the custom task is run.

Then for my example as soon as encoding completed the custom job is run and the file is pushed automatically to my Bedroom tivo by pyTivo.

push.py script:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/python
"""
push.py script
Sample python script to be used with kmttg "custom" job to initiate a pyTivo push.
KMTTG SETUP
  * kmttg custom job is defined as:
     "c:\Python25\python.exe" "c:\home\kmttg_v0p6b\push.py" [encodeFile]
  * In this example, kmttg videos to be pushed are ending up in path: c:\home\dvd  
PYTIVO SETUP
  * pyTivo.conf has the following setup for video section. Note that the path matches the above:
[kmttg]
type=video
path=c:\home\dvd
"""

import os
import sys
import urllib2

# *******Adjust these as needed ******
tivo      = "Bedroom"
container = "kmttg"

if len(sys.argv) != 2:
   sys.stderr.write("ERROR: 1 file argument expected")
   sys.exit(1)
file = os.path.basename(sys.argv[1])

url = "http://localhost:9032/TiVoConnect?Command=Push&Container=" + container + "&File=/" + file + "&tsn=" + tivo
try:
   print url
   result = urllib2.urlopen(url)
   sys.exit(0)
except urllib2.HTTPError, e:
   sys.stderr.write("ERROR : " + e)
   sys.exit(e.code)

Last edited by moyekj : 05-28-2009 at 02:05 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:33 AM   #700
cburbs

I will have to give this a try - Thanks alot for the input.

If I have other ?s should I post here or PM you?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:06 AM   #701
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
If I have other ?s should I post here or PM you?
I don't speak for moyekj, but... I really, really hate getting PM'ed with questions of general interest. To me, the only reason to PM is if you have something that you need to keep private -- and being embarrassed that you can't get something working doesn't count. Posting your question helps prevent repetition (since the same problems tend to recur), and allows others to contribute to the solution.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:33 AM   #702
moyekj

cburbs yes I echo wmcbrine's sentiment. Post here for the benefit of all. That's what threads like these are for.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #703
fyodor

Quote:
cburbs yes I echo wmcbrine's sentiment. Post here for the benefit of all. That's what threads like these are for.
I'll kick in that something like 95 percent of the technical issues (Tivo or otherwise) that I've had, I've solved (or realized that they were not solvable) by finding other people's postings, so to the extent that these issues are made public, you're helping other people with the same problems.

Also, purely from a practical perspective, while the creators of the various add-ons are extremely gracious in providing assistance and technical support, they've probably only encountered a small percentage of possible issues because of all the different software/hardware permutations. If you post here, someone else using the software might have encountered the problem and be able to offer suggestions.

F
fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:47 AM   #704
AudioNutz

Guys,
I hope you understand, that sometimes a PM might seem appropriate, (to us users) especially if we're speaking to you about a feature that is only available in a top secret beta release of your software, or discussing some feature request. We would never want to appear as if we are "Airing your dirty laundry" over something we perceive as a bug in a version of the software.

We also may fear that we are seen as "un-appreciative" of your efforts if we tell you something in a public message such as this. I think I speak for many of us when I say that your efforts are definitely appreciated. (I'm going to double your pay) Let's see... $0.00 x 2 = ???
Old 05-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #705
cburbs

Quote:
No problem - once I dive in a little further I will post my question back here. Wh o knows maybe I will get lucky and what I am aiming for will work with all the great help here. Thanks again.

I do have another question - If I take a whole folder of shows(CSI NY) when I cut the commercials out and send it back will they all fall back into one folder again or will they be seperate listed shows? Just curious and not the end of the world but I do like the folder grouping on the Tivo.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:43 PM   #706
moyekj

Quote:
I do have another question - If I take a whole folder of shows(CSI NY) when I cut the commercials out and send it back will they all fall back into one folder again or will they be seperate listed shows? Just curious and not the end of the world but I do like the folder grouping on the Tivo.
wmcbrine can answer more concisely, but I think the answer is basically yes if you have the proper accompanying pyTivo metadata files and you copy back with pyTivo.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #707
cburbs

Looking at your code -

Once the file is pushed back to the Tivo will it be gone from this folder? I guess I am asking what is the easiest way to verify this is working?
Old 05-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #708
moyekj

Quote:
Looking at your code -

Once the file is pushed back to the Tivo will it be gone from this folder? I guess I am asking what is the easiest way to verify this is working?
pyTivo push (or pull) makes a COPY of the file, so no it won't be gone from the folder. You need to leave it in the folder at least until the pyTivo push completes. Several clues if it's working or not:
* With the sample script you need to get exit code = 0 reported by kmttg for a successful push
* Check the pyTivo console (or logs) for push messages
* Check your destination Tivo to see if the show is being transferred (blue light will be on while the transfer is happening)

NOTE: The c:\home\dvd path was what I used for testing. There's no requirement that's what you have to use, just change it to suit your needs. The only requirement is that the pyTivo.conf path and the path where your source videos are have to match for this script. (One could make a fancier script to strip out that requirement, but to keep things simple it's easier as is).

P.S. In case it's not obvious, for this example you have to have your pyTivo.conf configured properly with a kmttg video section and pyTivo has to be up and running before you try a push.

Last edited by moyekj : 05-28-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:40 PM   #709
cburbs

So if the file I want to move is from the .mpg Cut Dir how do I define that?
Old 05-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #710
moyekj

Quote:
So if the file I want to move is from the .mpg Cut Dir how do I define that?
Continuing my example you would use [mpegFile_cut] keyword instead of [encodeFile] for custom command argument.
(The valid keywords are listed in the cyclic to the right of custom command field in kmttg configuration form and are pretty self-explanatory what they represent).

Old 05-28-2009, 08:58 PM   #711
cburbs

OK so this is what I got - I was testing a smaller file.

>> Running custom command ...
c:\Python26\python.exe c:\tivo\push.py "C:\tivo\DVD\Bob the Builder - Loftys Big Day_Wed_May_13_cut.mpg"
custom job completed: 00:00:01
exit code: 0
---DONE---

But I don't see the new cut.mpg file on my Tivo. I verified that I could see my shared folder from pytivo on my Tivo box and the file is there.

Well I can't even do a push from my pyTivo as I get this -

No option 'tivo_username' in section: 'Server'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\video\video.py", line 341, in Push
m = mind.getMind()
File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\mind.py", line 285, in getMind
username = config.getTivoUsername()
File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\config.py", line 62, in getTivoUsername
return config.get('Server', 'tivo_username')
File "C:\Python26\lib\ConfigParser.py", line 540, in get
raise NoOptionError(option, section)
NoOptionError: No option 'tivo_username' in section: 'Server'

Which I found I need to add this somewhere in the config file -

Do I add my settings to Global Server Settings?

I came across this - http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...328459&page=74

Last edited by cburbs : 05-28-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:51 PM   #712
moyekj

You need to edit your pyTivo.conf file and add tivo_username & tivo_password corresponding to your tivo.com login and password in the [Server] section:
[Server]
tivo_username = username
tivo_password = password

(Obviously replace username & password with what they actually are)
(For these settings I find it easier to edit pyTivo.conf file directly rather than using web GUI)

You should then test that push is working on pyTivo side by starting pyTivo and then in browser connect to pyTivo server:
http://localhost:9032

Under Video Shares click on the relevant video section (kmttg in my example)
Find the relevant test video you want to push, select Tivo to push to and click on the Send To Tivo button.

Once you have pyTivo side working it sounds like you have the kmttg side all setup so should have no issues.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:18 AM   #713
bkdtv

Suggestions for the next version:
  1. Automatically check decrypt (and gray out the checkmark box) when the user selects comskip. Currently, the user can select comskip without decrypt, and that produces an error.

2. Automatically check comskip (and gray out the checkmark box) when the user selects comcut. Currently, the user can select comcut without comskip, and that produces an error.

bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:26 AM   #714
cburbs

Quote:
You need to edit your pyTivo.conf file and add tivo_username & tivo_password corresponding to your tivo.com login and password in the [Server] section:
[Server]
tivo_username = username
tivo_password = password

(Obviously replace username & password with what they actually are)
(For these settings I find it easier to edit pyTivo.conf file directly rather than using web GUI)

You should then test that push is working on pyTivo side by starting pyTivo and then in browser connect to pyTivo server:
http://localhost:9032

Under Video Shares click on the relevant video section (kmttg in my example)
Find the relevant test video you want to push, select Tivo to push to and click on the Send To Tivo button.

Once you have pyTivo side working it sounds like you have the kmttg side all setup so should have no issues.
Thanks again for helping me out - sorry if I may have asked simple ?s but I ask so that I understand how things work. I was able to push directly in pyTivo now. I also changed one other setting in the push.py file and ran a test but won't be ale check it until after work today to see if that all worked now. Again I can't thank you enough for your help. Once I have this together I am going to make a nice how to doc with pics in case anyone else wants to know how to do this. Thanks again
Old 05-29-2009, 08:48 AM   #715
eman31

Quote:
I did find a setting in the comskip.ini that does a cleanup of all of the extra files I was getting, now if I could figure out how to stop getting a .edl file it would be perfect. I tried setting the comcut option to -0- but I'm still getting it.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #716
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Suggestions for the next version:
  1. Automatically check decrypt (and gray out the checkmark box) when the user selects comskip. Currently, the user can select comskip without decrypt, and that produces an error.

2. Automatically check comskip (and gray out the checkmark box) when the user selects comcut. Currently, the user can select comcut without comskip, and that produces an error.
Well the problem is one does not necessarily have to start from download or a .TiVo file. For example for comskip you can be in FILES mode and start from .mpg. Same applies to comcut and later steps. Even in download mode, kmttg will skip generation of files if they already exist, so it's possible to jump directly to comskip or comcut or later steps without prior steps enabled.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #717
moyekj

Quote:
I did find a setting in the comskip.ini that does a cleanup of all of the extra files I was getting, now if I could figure out how to stop getting a .edl file it would be perfect. I tried setting the comcut option to -0- but I'm still getting it.
You can simply set output_edl=0 in comskip.ini file to turn off edl file generation.
Note however that with current coding kmttg always expects a .edl file output to be produced by comskip so disabling that results in an error message by kmttg. For your case you can of course simply ignore the error message. I can probably make a change for kmttg to check for either .VPrj or .edl if VRD is configured.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:04 AM   #718
AudioNutz

His feature request jarred my memory. I constantly find myself re-clicking all of the checkboxes at the top of the kmttg window when I launch the GUI. It might be nice to have kmttg remember which boxes were checked the last time I had the GUI open.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #719
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
His feature request jarred my memory. I constantly find myself re-clicking all of the checkboxes at the top of the kmttg window when I launch the GUI. It might be nice to have kmttg remember which boxes were checked the last time I had the GUI open.
Noted. I almost always enable VRD QS Fix and usually metadata as well before starting a download. I think it would make sense to save selections on program exit to a separate file than config.ini.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #720
AudioNutz

I seldom use the GUI now, except when I add a new show to the Auto Transfers config, but this feature would just add one level of convenience. I really like the fact that the auto transfer now takes on the items that I have selected in the main window of the GUI now. (Before I had to act fast, and go to the other config window before the transfer started, to select the options that I wanted)

I see now that you have the new Java GUI, your Mac user base has grown from 7 to 32.