TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-03-2014, 12:42 AM   #7051
wireman121

moyekj, looks like the delete command is not being received properly off of the Tivo or sent properly by kmttg, but not 100% of the time. I have a Premiere which just recently updated itself to the new summer version, so maybe that's it? It downloaded a few shows via auto transfer (some of them the same show, like Crossbones which had 2 episodes tonight) and was able to delete one of them but got stuck in a loop and couldn't delete the other. I was able to manually delete it via the del button though.
wireman121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:14 AM   #7052
moyekj

What "delete" are you talking about? The "iPad Delete"?
If so, do you have "Use RPC to get NPL when possible" option enabled? If not you should try enabling that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:07 PM   #7053
wireman121

Yes, iPad delete is checked as well as use RPC. Auto Transfers in GUI isn't deleting consistently. Once there are more auto transfers I'll see if I can get more info for you
wireman121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:43 PM   #7054
Hcour

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Missing codecs on your Windows machine is the problem there. If you install VideoLAN VLC for example it will play them without issue since it doesn't rely on Windows codecs for playback.
Daum PotPlayer also has its on codecs, they must have been out-of-date. I updated the player and all is well.

Thanks again!
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #7055
BermudaLamb

KMTTG not doing auto transfers?

I'm currently on v1.1a. I've set up numerous auto transfers from my various Tivos. It seems to be hit or miss though regarding if it will process them. For example, this morning when I "Run once in GUI" it pulled in the latest White Collar episode, but completely ignored the latest Dominion and Defiance episodes. I confirmed that they are both in the AutoTransfer. When I look through the log it tells me that the episodes were already processed, even though they are brand new and not in my episode repository.
BermudaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #7056
moyekj

Don't know if this is your problem or not, but some shows don't have unique ProgramId for each episode, which means once an episode of a show is processed once it could mean future episodes sharing same ProgramId kmttg will consider already processed. If that's the issue here then take a look at "Treat each recording as unique" section of Wiki for the workaround:
http://sourceforge.net/p/kmttg/wiki/auto_transfers/

If that doesn't seem to be the issue then you can always edit the auto.history file to remove entries of shows that you want kmttg to process.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:41 PM   #7057
elprice7345

Just started seeing this error on 1 of my 2 TiVos when I issue a remote request like updating the NPL, ToDo list or Season pass list:
Quote:
>> RUNNING 'REMOTE Season Pass List' JOB FOR TiVo: Living Room
RemoteInit - (IP=192.168.15.111, port=1413): Read timed out
[java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method), java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source), java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source), sun.security.ssl.InputRecord.readFully(Unknown Source), sun.security.ssl.InputRecord.read(Unknown Source), sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(Unknown Source), sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.performInitialHandshake(Unkno wn Source), sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(Unknown Source), sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(Unknown Source), com.tivo.kmttg.rpc.Remote.RemoteInit(Remote.java:181), com.tivo.kmttg.rpc.Remote.<init>(Remote.java:143), com.tivo.kmttg.main.config.initRemote(config.java:586), com.tivo.kmttg.task.remote$1AutoThread.run(remote.java:57), java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)]
If I reboot the TiVo, it goes away for a short time, but quickly returns.

I'm not sure if this is a kmttg issue or TiVo HW or ?

It's only happening on 1 of my TiVos.

In kmttg, I have "Enable iPad style communication with this TiVo" enabled for both TiVos.

Any suggestions? Any troubleshooting steps I should take?
Old 08-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #7058
moyekj

Some obvious things to check:
* What model TiVo is "Living Room"? Needs to be series 4 or later.
* On the TiVo that's failing check "Allow network-based remote controls" option is enabled:
Settings--Remote, CableCARD & Devices--Network Remote Control--Allow network-based remote controls
* Does the IP in the error message match the IP of the TiVo itself? Is the IP static or dynamic?
* What's the networking like from the machine running kmttg to the TiVo - is WiFi in the picture? If so you may want to try eliminating WiFi if possible to see if problem goes away.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #7059
elprice7345

Quote:
Some obvious things to check:
* What model TiVo is "Living Room"? Needs to be series 4 or later.
* On the TiVo that's failing check "Allow network-based remote controls" option is enabled:
Settings--Remote, CableCARD & Devices--Network Remote Control--Allow network-based remote controls
* Does the IP in the error message match the IP of the TiVo itself? Is the IP static or dynamic?
* What's the networking like from the machine running kmttg to the TiVo - is WiFi in the picture? If so you may want to try eliminating WiFi if possible to see if problem goes away.
  • TiVo is Series 4/Premiere
  • "Allow network-based remote controls" is checked
  • IP matches
  • Networking config is ethernet cable to local switch connected via ethernet cable to home router
I see this occasionally, but it usually goes away after I reboot the TiVo. Last night I had to reboot the Tivo and the switch to stop the error. No errors since last night.

I'm wondering if there are any best practices to prevent this situation from happening?

BTW moyekj, the Remote Reboot functionality didn't work when I was experiencing this issue either. I had to unplug the TiVo to force the reboot. Presumably the reboot function uses the same RPC function that I was having the issue with?
Old 08-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #7060
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by elprice7345 View Post
[list]
BTW moyekj, the Remote Reboot functionality didn't work when I was experiencing this issue either. I had to unplug the TiVo to force the reboot. Presumably the reboot function uses the same RPC function that I was having the issue with?
Yes, reboot button uses RPC so obviously if that's not working then the reboot won't either.

As far as best practices, I would suggest if you don't do so already to have static IP for your TiVo(s). Most routers allow you to configure static IP assignment even when using DHCP via reservations. I don't know if this will help your problem if not already using static IPs, but it's worth a shot.

If you are saying this issue happens to 1 of your TiVos and they are configured and network connected in very similar ways then I would suspect the issue lies somewhere with the TiVo having the problem. Can't hurt to replace the network cables associated with the troublesome TiVo as well.

Last edited by moyekj : 08-19-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #7061
AudioNutz

Interesting support case

Kevin,
I have an interesting support case for you. I have been using KMTTG for many years, as you know, but about a month ago one of my TiVo's began crashing (reboot) every time I click "Refresh" in KMTTG. I thought maybe the TiVo was fouled up, but if I point Internet Exploder, to "https://192.168.1.5/nowplaying/index.html", it does not crash this particular TiVo. (Three other TiVo's are working fine with KMTTG and Internet Exploder)

Any ideas on where to look, or what to adjust? I tried resetting the Web Server by going to the "http://192.168.1.5/TiVoConnect?Command=ResetServer" address in Explorer, since this command is no longer part of KMTTG.

Thanks for the help, and as usual, an Excellent product!
Old 08-19-2014, 03:54 PM   #7062
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
Kevin,
I have an interesting support case for you. I have been using KMTTG for many years, as you know, but about a month ago one of my TiVo's began crashing (reboot) every time I click "Refresh" in KMTTG. I thought maybe the TiVo was fouled up, but if I point Internet Exploder, to "https://192.168.1.5/nowplaying/index.html", it does not crash this particular TiVo. (Three other TiVo's are working fine with KMTTG and Internet Exploder)

Any ideas on where to look, or what to adjust? I tried resetting the Web Server by going to the "http://192.168.1.5/TiVoConnect?Command=ResetServer" address in Explorer, since this command is no longer part of KMTTG.

Thanks for the help, and as usual, an Excellent product!
The URL you cited is the very simplistic html version. If you want to mimic what kmttg is doing in a browser you have to use this instead (which returns xml instead of html):
Code:
https://192.168.1.5/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=/NowPlaying&Recurse=Yes&AnchorOffset=0
And then repeated calls to the above with AnchorOffset set appropriately to grab additional shows until all shows have been grabbed. You should look at kmttg message window to see the actual URL being used where the problem occurs and then copy/paste that into your browser.
The web server reset I think has never done anything useful and I removed that functionality a while back (so you must be running older version of kmttg).

Old 08-19-2014, 05:06 PM   #7063
AudioNutz

No, I'm using a relatively current version of KMTTG, I was stating that the Reset command was in a previous version. (It's helpful)

When I place the following in my browser:
Code:
https://192.168.1.5/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=/NowPlaying&Recurse=Yes&AnchorOffset=0
It asks me for my password, and then crashes the one TiVo. (Causes a restart) Every other TiVo here gives back the XML that you speak of.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:17 PM   #7064
moyekj

Quote:
It asks me for my password, and then crashes the one TiVo. (Causes a restart) Every other TiVo here gives back the XML that you speak of.
So something is wrong with it. Good excuse to upgrade to a Roamio?

Old 08-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #7065
Soapm

Been a while since I've posted or used kmmtg on my premier but it doesn't seem to connect. It connects fine to my TivoHD but I get this error when trying to connect to my premier named "Other";

Code:
D:\Chuck\LOCALS~1\Temp\NPL8472466155985460342.tmp 
Failed to retrieve Now Playing List from Other
Exit code: 7
Check YOUR MAK & IP settings

curl: (7) couldn't connect to host
There are currently no queued jobs to save.
I verified ip is fine and MAK should be fine since it works on my TivoHD. I am connecting from a XP64 machine using kmttg v1.1b. The premier should be up to date and I verified none of my settings changed at tivo.com.

Any suggestions how to troubleshoot this?

Also, there used to be a test page I could connect to like https://192.168.0.xxx:80 but I can't remember the port to the test page.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #7066
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Also, there used to be a test page I could connect to like https://192.168.0.xxx:80 but I can't remember the port to the test page.
https uses port 443 by default, so either drop the :80 portion of the url completely or change it to port 443. Better yet, use the URL posted above with AudioNutz discussion and replace the IP portion of that URL with your TiVo IP to see what happens.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:12 PM   #7067
Soapm

Quote:
https uses port 443 by default, so either drop the :80 portion of the url completely or change it to port 443. Better yet, use the URL posted above with AudioNutz discussion and replace the IP portion of that URL with your TiVo IP to see what happens.
Nothing, all of them just time out. that's with the corrected AudioNutz link, port 443 and no port at all. I also tried rebooting the Tivo a couple of times and no change. I wonder what's making my Tivo inaccessible???
Old 08-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #7068
moyekj

Quote:
Nothing, all of them just time out. that's with the corrected AudioNutz link, port 443 and no port at all. I also tried rebooting the Tivo a couple of times and no change. I wonder what's making my Tivo inaccessible???
Is that TiVo connecting to mothership OK?
Can you ping it from a computer?

Old 08-19-2014, 07:25 PM   #7069
Soapm

Rebooted the router seem to take care of it. My R6300v2 is starting to piss me off. I had the same problem with my video server last week and my Roku's sometimes don't work and I have to reboot the router.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #7070
AudioNutz

Quote:
So something is wrong with it. Good excuse to upgrade to a Roamio?
Um... Yeah, I wish! I'm a TWC customer, so that means no MRV or TTG if I upgrade to a Roamio. That is, unless Omikron has some news I'm not aware of.

I may just re-image it, but re-imaging it a month ago is when this issue began. I'm actually using the same image off one of my TiVos that is working great! I may just try replacing the kernel first though...
Old 08-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #7071
moyekj

Quote:
Um... Yeah, I wish! I'm a TWC customer
My condolences!

Old 08-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #7072
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Rebooted the router seem to take care of it. My R6300v2 is starting to piss me off. I had the same problem with my video server last week and my Roku's sometimes don't work and I have to reboot the router.
Just curious, as another Netgear user: Is this a wireless condition, or is it wired (or some combination of both)?
Old 08-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #7073
AudioNutz

Kevin,
I'm continuing to troubleshoot my crashing issue, and I noticed something today. Sometimes KMTTG sends that command ending in "&AnchorOffset=128", and other times it's "&AnchorOffset=0".

What setting in KMTTG is this tied to, and what's the difference? It seems to return less data when 128 is specified, but my KMTTG config specifies a limit of 50 NPL fetches for each and every TiVo. If this is tied, I wonder why it's translated to 128, and I wonder why it's only some of the time???
Old 08-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #7074
AudioNutz

Oh, and BTW... 0 makes me crash, 128 does not...
Old 08-20-2014, 01:43 PM   #7075
moyekj

Quote:
Kevin,
I'm continuing to troubleshoot my crashing issue, and I noticed something today. Sometimes KMTTG sends that command ending in "&AnchorOffset=128", and other times it's "&AnchorOffset=0".

What setting in KMTTG is this tied to, and what's the difference? It seems to return less data when 128 is specified, but my KMTTG config specifies a limit of 50 NPL fetches for each and every TiVo. If this is tied, I wonder why it's translated to 128, and I wonder why it's only some of the time???
All TiVo models can only return limited amount of XML data, so TiVo limits the number of shows that is returned for each query. So the way it works is the 1st query uses no offset (&AnchorOffset=0), and subsequent queries are needed to continue grabbing data for older recordings. So, if the 1st query returns data for 128 shows then the next query will use &AnchorOffset=128 and that repeats with AnchorOffset incrementing each time until all data for all shows is retrieved. That's why you will see kmttg issuing multiple queries to download all the data. The NPL fetches config option you mention limits how many times to allow kmttg to make queries. Thus if you set that to 1, kmttg will only issue 1 request for shows and you will get only the latest N shows, where N depends on how many shows the TiVo returns per query.

The fact that &AnchorOffset=0 causes the crash for you and &AnchorOffset=128 does not implies that it's one of the newest 128 recordings on your TiVo that is causing a problem.

There is a URL option to limit the # of items for TiVo to return (which I don't recall off top of my head what that is right now), that you could use to narrow down specifically what show is causing the crash.

Last edited by moyekj : 08-20-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:47 PM   #7076
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Double edit: I can't read today. You said it correctly that the newest shows are where the problem must be.

EDIT: Smeeked :-) (well not really, I was just slow getting it posted). But I thought that the newest shows came first in the xml - am I remembering it wrong? And the other URL parameter to limit the number of items returned is ItemCount

---
AnchorOffset is the starting position of the list of shows that the TiVo returns as xml to the requesting client. It's a part of the HMO protocol. What you've discovered is that something in the first 128 shows being returned is what's causing the crashing. To figure out which one (I'm betting it's probably only one with some corrupt meta-data - maybe something with an odd character in it like a tilde mark over someone's name), work backwards from AnchorOffset=128 down to zero (AnchorOffset=127, AnchorOffset=126), until it crashes again :-). The default sort order the xml is returned in should be newest shows at the top.

The kmttg setting your talking about isn't the number of items fetched, it's the number of times kmttg will ask for more items - it always gets 128 items (0-127) with each fetch. If you have 300 shows on your TiVo, it would take 3 fetches to get them all and the last one would be a smaller amount of data (300-128-128=44). It looks like you've got more than 128 but less than 256 shows on your box, and something in the first 128 is what's causing the crash.
http://sourceforge.net/p/kmttg/wiki/...of-npl-fetches

Make sense?
A Web app for Roku Remote Control

Last edited by gonzotek : 08-20-2014 at 01:55 PM.
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #7077
AudioNutz

WooHoo! Thank you! This helps a great deal! I'll start troubleshooting from this, and I'll let you know where I end up!
Old 08-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #7078
AudioNutz

Ok, that did it. I can't thank you guys enough for this tip!

Show #80 in the list was the offending show. Deleting this show caused everything to be happy again. I'm downloading the (undeleted) show now via the browser, to see if I can find something in the MetaData that might be causing this.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #7079
AudioNutz

Totally weird. There was absolutely nothing irregular in the MetaData. There were apostrophes and a couple semicolons in the description, but no other special characters... Weird.

This same show is on all of my other TiVo's too, but deleting it solved me.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #7080
elprice7345

Quote:
Totally weird. There was absolutely nothing irregular in the MetaData. There were apostrophes and a couple semicolons in the description, but no other special characters... Weird.

This same show is on all of my other TiVo's too, but deleting it solved me.
Something else to check into: the TiVo "ecosystem" can hiccup on different characters in the unicode universe.

I know pytivo won't upload shows that use unicode character U+2019 (’), described as "right single quotation mark", that sometimes appears in TiVo metadata. I have to replace it with unicode character U+0027 ('), "apostrophe".

It could be that one of your apostrophes isn't exactly an apostrophe.