TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #661
moyekj

v0.6a Java based version released

Special thanks to AudioNutz for helping with Macintosh platform testing and 3rd party tools packaging and kearygriffin for Linux platform testing.

Hopefully there are no major bugs but as with any major changes there are bound to be some things which broke or don't work as expected. Note that Windows service completely changes for this release so if you are using kmttg as a windows service be sure to remove the prior service and consult documentation for how to run the java based version as a service.

==v0.6a (05/23/2009)==
*ENHANCEMENTS*

* Completely ported to Java (supports Java 1.5 or later).

* Much easier installation. For Windows & Mac platforms the 3rd party tools are automatically downloaded and installed if needed the first time you run the application. For Linux platforms the tools are searched for in run path.

* Addition of "custom" job which you can enable to run whatever post-processing program/script you want.

* When you use the *Auto Transfers-Add selected titles* entry to add auto transfer entries from Now Playing list the entries default to performing tasks selected in main window instead of just defaulting to download only.

* You can now double click on a job in monitor to see running job stdout/stderr details

* Improved Now Playing List column sorting: does not reset sort choice each new listing

* Now Playing List display now stretches vertically as well as horizontally so you can see more entries at a time without having to scroll.

* Table columns can be re-sized manually

* Better error reporting for any background task problems

* Better error checking and highlighting in configuration.

* Tivo beacon listening automatically shuts off after 10 minutes (no point listening for too long anyway)
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 05-23-2009 at 01:06 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #662
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

A complete rewrite seems like it should be more than an 0.5 -> 0.6 version bump.

Why Java?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:06 PM   #663
orev

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
fyodor essentiallly nailed it. My BIGSLOWSERVER server is a headless linux box. I don't run X or any GUIs there.

Sometimes, such as now, I'm halfway around the world on a bad connection. I don't want to DL shows to my laptop, I want to DL them to my home server before they fall off the NPL. Even when I'm home, I'd prefer to DL shows directly to the server.

In any case, I didn't mean to make it sound like a feature request. I was just asking if the kmttg design has a clean split between the core functionality and the GUI which might enable such a feature.

For example, the bittorrent client "transmission" has a GUI form and also a daemon form with a web interface. Very useful for servers.
There is no requirement to have a monitor or keyboard connected to a system in order to run X windows. In fact, you have many options:
- Remote X display: You can run X on your local computer (Cygwin/X is great for running on Windows), then you can login to your server using SSH and use X11 forwarding. Then the program you run will display on your local display, but the processing will be done on the remote server. This is the way X was designed to be used from the beginning. The disadvantage to this is that if you disconnect your local computer, the program will stop running.

- VNC: VNC on a Linux server starts a virtual instance and desktop in the server's memory, and does not run on the local video/keyboard (in fact, you could not see it even if you connected a monitor to the local system). You can then connect to it using the vncviewer, start programs, etc... Then, when you disconnect the session keeps running on the server, even though you are not connected to it.

- NX: NX is similar to VNC as described above, but is faster due to compression. I don't have direct experience with it, but have heard good things.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #664
orev

Hey, this is really a great program, and does pretty much everything I was hoping for. I had written some perl scripts myself to perform similar functions, but they were very manual. You have encapsulated all of the functionality into a great UI, and done a very good job with it.

One suggestion I have is to allow setting of the "stik" in atomicparsley. I'm sure this is an iTunes specific thing, but if you encode to ipod/iphone, the default is to add the m4v file into the "Movies" section in iTunes. The problem with this is that you need to manually select each movie to sync with the iphone. There is no way to say "sync all movies". However, if you use '--stik "TV Show"', iTunes adds the file to the "TV Shows" section, and in that section there is an option to "sync all TV shows". A bit annoying, but that's the way it is in itunes land.

Another thing I had done was use mencoder to run a cropdetect that can automatically find letterboxed shows and cut out the black bars. This adds complexity to the program because now you have one step that relies on a previous step's output. It comes in handy though for shows that are 16:9 but shown on 4:3 screens.

A final feature that is nice is the ability for mencoder to process the comskip edl file at the same time as it's doing the encoding. It saves some time in the process, but again adds complexity.

I also have a profile for you that uses mencoder to create a compatible x264 file:
mencoder -mc 0.2 INFILE -of lavf -lavfopts format=mp4 -sws 2 -vf scale=320:-2,harddup -ovc x264 -x264encopts bitrate=$ipod_vbitrate:vbv_maxrate=1500:vbv_bufsize=2000:me= umh:level_idc=30:global_header:threads=auto:subq=6:frameref= 6:nocabac:trellis=2 -oac faac -faacopts mpeg=4:object=2:br=128:raw -channels 2 -srate 48000 -edl EDLFILE -o OUTFILE
This profile was actually made for an ipod classic, but also works on an iphone.

I'd be glad to share my script with you if you'd like to see how I did a few things.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:46 PM   #665
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
A complete rewrite seems like it should be more than an 0.5 -> 0.6 version bump.

Why Java?
Yes, well keeping with tradition every major change has had a +0.1 version bump to date though I agree this is the biggest change of all. I hate to give it 1.x as that implies mature program which this definitely is not.
I have much higher comfort level in Perl but the Perl + Tk installation requirement made it very difficult to install, especially on Mac platforms, and ultimately the Perl/Tk GUI is pretty limiting. Java seemed like the next logical choice for me for cross-platform support (including GUI) and seems to be a much more widely used programming language. I'm hoping to get some help for future development and it's likely Java is a better fit for that than Perl.
Downside is Java is still new to me and I have a lot to learn still and my GUI building skills are very poor and Java doesn't make it easy on you. Perhaps some Java developers here with much better GUI building skills can improve the GUI a lot - I hate doing GUI work in general if it's not already apparent...

Old 05-24-2009, 12:45 AM   #666
bkdtv

Awesome upgrade with Java! Finally a simple[r] installation for most folks.

I did notice that the TiVo "network detection" in this version doesn't work for me. I had to manually add the TiVo by name and IP.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #667
cherry ghost

It auto detected both my TiVos but doesn't show any programs for one of them
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #668
AudioNutz

Quote:
...Why Java?
Lets face it, average folks want a program like this to be easy. (Especially us Mac folks) With the additional install of the Tk environment, and the requirement to have the X11 tools installed, this eliminates most Mac folks.

We're really not lazy, we just expect things to work. (Hence the ad campaign)

By the way... I LIKE IT!
Old 05-24-2009, 11:45 AM   #669
moyekj

VideoRedo Configuration Wiki

For those that configure kmttg to use VideoRedo (for QS Fix and comcut tasks) please consult the new Wiki page. The long standing problem where VRD doesn't run in Windows Service mode has a workaround detailed in the VideoRedo_configuration wiki page.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #670
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
Lets face it, average folks want a program like this to be easy. (Especially us Mac folks) With the additional install of the Tk environment, and the requirement to have the X11 tools installed, this eliminates most Mac folks.

We're really not lazy, we just expect things to work. (Hence the ad campaign)

By the way... I LIKE IT!
Exactly.

It really comes down to whether you are writing the program primarily for yourself or as a contribution to the community. If you really want to contribute to the community, then you release your program in a format that most people can install quickly and easily.

A program like pyTivo would be 50x as popular if it didn't require that Python garbage on Windows. The pyTiVoX release for OSX is comparatively simple to install and use (due to the nature of that platform), and it averages almost 100 downloads a day with 5% of the OS market.

Last edited by bkdtv : 05-24-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #671
moyekj

bkdtv, just a clarification for your "Download Recordings" documentation section on kmttg. With this new Java version you don't need to download the helper tools - for Windows and Mac platforms kmttg will prompt to download and install them if necessary, so you really only need to download the one kmttg_v0*.zip file. (For Linux platform there is no tools package available but kmttg will look for them in your bin path if you have them installed). One of the goals of this Java port was to try and make installation as easy as possible.
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
2. Download the latest kmttg installation (kmttg_v0*a.zip) and helper tools (kmttg_win32_tools_v0*.zip) at this link.

3. Unzip the contents of both ZIP files into the same folder.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #672
bkdtv

Just curious...Will kmttg periodically check for updates to the helper tools? I understand that there are periodic updates to comskip, for example.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:02 PM   #673
AudioNutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Exactly.

It really comes down to whether you are writing the program primarily for yourself or as a contribution to the community. If you really want to contribute to the community, then you release your program in a format that most people can install quickly and easily.
Very true. I've tried iTiVo for the Mac, and it certainly does work, but it works only in the way the author intended to use it for his own needs. (Not to mention the speed issues with non-x86 chipped Macs) While I think it is very admirable that he has shared it with the TiVo community, it still doesn't have the flexibility that KMTTG does. Now that KMTTG is sooo easy to run on Mac, I can't imagine using anything else. (For my needs)

Quote:
A program like pyTivo would be 50x as popular if it didn't require that Python garbage on Windows. The pyTiVoX release for OSX is comparatively simple to install and use (due to the nature of that platform), and it averages almost 100 downloads a day with 5% of the OS market.
Agreed, but pyTiVoX still has a pretty narrow OS requirement. Regardless of what you do, you still need to be running the latest OS to run pyTiVoX. (I recently had to purchase a license for Leopard Server, so I could consolidate the KMTTG and pyTiVoX into the same machine)
Old 05-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #674
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
It auto detected both my TiVos but doesn't show any programs for one of them
Any reason why this would happen? Is there a Now Playing List size limit?

It says "NPL job completed: 00:00:19" but no shows are listed
Old 05-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #675
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
bkdtv, just a clarification for your "Download Recordings" documentation section on kmttg. With this new Java version you don't need to download the helper tools - for Windows and Mac platforms kmttg will prompt to download and install them if necessary, so you really only need to download the one kmttg_v0*.zip file. (For Linux platform there is no tools package available but kmttg will look for them in your bin path if you have them installed). One of the goals of this Java port was to try and make installation as easy as possible.
Thanks.
Fixed there, as well as in the AVS thread. If there are any other changes you want made, let me know.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #676
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
A program like pyTivo would be 50x as popular if it didn't require that Python garbage on Windows.
Then again, if people didn't insist on using that Windows garbage, they'd find Python preinstalled on a real OS, like Mac OS X or Ubuntu.

pyTivo is popular enough as it is, thanks. Your concern is noted.

BTW, it's too bad about the Perl/Tk situation... Python's Tkinter on OS X doesn't use X, and comes preinstalled. I wonder why Perl doesn't use that?

Old 05-24-2009, 02:49 PM   #677
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Any reason why this would happen? Is there a Now Playing List size limit?

It says "NPL job completed: 00:00:19" but no shows are listed
No there is no size limit. Tivo will only return some maximum number per query (I think 256 shows is the limit or something like that), but kmttg will send additional queries with offsets until all listings are obtained. It sounds to me like perhaps that portion of the code may be broken though from your description. I did test that a while back and had it working (in Java port as well), but could be I broke something along the way during the Java port. I don't normally test that since I don't usually have many shows saved on my Tivos but I can create an artificial test for that functionality to check if it's still working as it's supposed to. I'll get back to you on that...

EDIT: I can confirm it's indeed a bug in this new Java version. Good news is it's a very easy fix which is already in development version. I've got a couple of other things I'm working on I need to finish and then will release the fix in the next day or so. Thanks for reporting this and sorry for the trouble.

Last edited by moyekj : 05-24-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #678
AudioNutz

Quote:
Then again, if people didn't insist on using that Windows garbage, they'd find Python preinstalled on a real OS, like Mac OS X or Ubuntu.
I'm laughing on the inside...
Old 05-24-2009, 06:51 PM   #679
cherry ghost

Quote:
No there is no size limit. Tivo will only return some maximum number per query (I think 256 shows is the limit or something like that), but kmttg will send additional queries with offsets until all listings are obtained. It sounds to me like perhaps that portion of the code may be broken though from your description. I did test that a while back and had it working (in Java port as well), but could be I broke something along the way during the Java port. I don't normally test that since I don't usually have many shows saved on my Tivos but I can create an artificial test for that functionality to check if it's still working as it's supposed to. I'll get back to you on that...

EDIT: I can confirm it's indeed a bug in this new Java version. Good news is it's a very easy fix which is already in development version. I've got a couple of other things I'm working on I need to finish and then will release the fix in the next day or so. Thanks for reporting this and sorry for the trouble.
Thanks for the update and all your work on this.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #680
moyekj

OK, new version just released:
http://kmttg.googlecode.com/files/kmttg_v0p6b.zip

FIXES
* Fixed problem with obtaining Now Playing list of more than 256 shows.

ENHANCEMENTS
* Added Auto Transfers->Service menu for Windows platform to create/start/stop/view status of Windows kmttg auto transfers service.

* Added Auto Transfers->Background Job menu for other platforms to start/stop/view status of kmttg auto transfers background job.

NOTE: Easiest way to upgrade from v0p6a release is simply replace the kmttg.jar file with the new one in kmttg_v0p6b.zip. Then no re-configuration is needed.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #681
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Something that just came up on the pyTiVo forum...

http://pytivo.krkeegan.com/weird-pyt...rror-t839.html

pyTivo is expecting milliseconds where kmttg is providing ISO format.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #682
cherry ghost

That did it, thanks for the quick fix.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #683
moyekj

Quote:
Something that just came up on the pyTiVo forum...

http://pytivo.krkeegan.com/weird-pyt...rror-t839.html

pyTivo is expecting milliseconds where kmttg is providing ISO format.
Are the full specs for pyTivo metadata up to date somewhere? The main one that I know about doesn't have any specs for duration:
http://pytivo.armooo.net/wiki/MetaData
The format I use is the same format Tivo uses in its metadata.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:58 AM   #684
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Are the full specs for pyTivo metadata up to date somewhere? The main one that I know about doesn't have any specs for duration:
Probably because there isn't really much reason to include it at all, from pyTivo's perspective, since it always checks the duration anyway with ffmpeg. Though I suppose it could be useful now, if you're running pyTivo without ffmpeg.

Anyway, there is no spec. The code is the spec. The code wants milliseconds, or nothing. "Nothing" is a perfectly good choice here.

Quote:
The format I use is the same format Tivo uses in its metadata.
Milliseconds are also what the TiVo uses -- they're what you'll see in the "Duration" field at https://tivoip/TiVoConnect?Command=Q...er=/NowPlaying

The ISO format is also used in pyTivo, but it's derived from the milliseconds value in metadata_full():

Code:
metadata['iso_duration'] = ('P%sDT%sH%sM%sS' % 
                            (duration_delta.days, hours, min, sec))
There is no code to do the reverse translation.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 05-25-2009 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:25 AM   #685
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Actually, as I look at it now, even specifying milliseconds in the metadata text won't work, since it would be read as a string and never converted to an int, which is what it's expected to be. Basically, "duration" is an internal field that was never intended to be set in the metadata file at all.

If you want to record the duration (in ISO format) for some other purpose, you could use "iso_duration" instead of "duration" -- also an internal field, but in this case it would be overridden by pyTivo; the value in the metadata file would be ignored.

If you really wanted pyTivo to use a duration value from metadata, you could set "Override_millisecs". But I don't recommend that.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #686
moyekj

Quote:
Actually, as I look at it now, even specifying milliseconds in the metadata text won't work, since it would be read as a string and never converted to an int, which is what it's expected to be. Basically, "duration" is an internal field that was never intended to be set in the metadata file at all.

If you want to record the duration (in ISO format) for some other purpose, you could use "iso_duration" instead of "duration" -- also an internal field, but in this case it would be overridden by pyTivo; the value in the metadata file would be ignored.

If you really wanted pyTivo to use a duration value from metadata, you could set "Override_millisecs". But I don't recommend that.
OK thanks. Sounds to me like the right choice is to not include duration at all. I'll make that change for next release.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:48 AM   #687
moyekj

Quote:

I don't know if it's easy enough for you to put some kind of check to ignore the duration field if it comes from metadata file (as a string)? Myself and others using kmttg already have countless files with the duration string there in ISO format that would probably break with newer pyTivo installations is why I ask. This didn't used to be a problem with older versions of pyTivo.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:44 PM   #688
bkdtv

For a future release, you might look into an auto-update function, or at least an update notifier, so users always have (or know about) the latest version, without checking this thread or the main site every few days.

At some point, you should also seriously consider a "Donate" menu for Paypal.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:32 PM   #689
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
I don't know if it's easy enough for you to put some kind of check to ignore the duration field if it comes from metadata file (as a string)?
Yeah, will be committed soon... (Edit: posted now.)

Quote:
This didn't used to be a problem with older versions of pyTivo.
I disagree. While it's surprising that it hasn't been reported before, there are no recent changes to pyTivo that would elicit it. Rather, it may simply be the first time that someone tried to push a file with kmttg-generated metadata, and bothered to report the failure. A pull would work, because it would use the data from the TVBus request, which consisted of ISO-format times generated from the ffmpeg-read duration before the metadata text file was read. (This can still be overridden by Override_millisecs, though -- the file is read twice, with different parts being parsed at different times.)

Last edited by wmcbrine : 05-25-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #690
moyekj

Quote:
Yeah, will be committed soon... (Edit: posted now.)
Great, thanks.

Quote:
I disagree. While it's surprising that it hasn't been reported before, there are no recent changes to pyTivo that would elicit it. Rather, it may simply be the first time that someone tried to push a file with kmttg-generated metadata, and bothered to report the failure. A pull would work, because it would use the data from the TVBus request, which consisted of ISO-format times generated from the ffmpeg-read duration before the metadata text file was read. (This can still be overridden by Override_millisecs, though -- the file is read twice, with different parts being parsed at different times.)
Makes sense, I was only thinking "pulls" which is what I used in the past.