TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-08-2014, 10:08 PM   #6781
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by epstewart View Post
James,

Problem is, the closed captions are not automatically "there" on an iOS device.

That's because the native format playable on iOS devices is MPEG-4, not MPEG-2. Its files have .mp4 or .m4v extensions, not .mpg. The contained video streams are encoded as h.264, aka AVC. So a decrypted .TiVo file, as an .mpg, contains closed captions, but transcoding it to .mp4/.m4v loses the captions.
I transfer recordings to the PC in Transport Stream format with kmttg and edit and transcode to h.264 in both mp4 and mkv containers using VideoReDo and the closed captions are intact when I pull or push them to a TiVo via pyTivo with ts=on. That's to a Roamio or Premiere. Haven't tried it with my THD or TiVo 2 which might not work since pyTivo would have to transcode them back to mpeg2.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:06 PM   #6782
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
2) You can play 'raw' files downloaded with kmttg (i.e. decoded MPEG 2 files) with VLC. It will show captions too, though it depends on the speed of your iPad most likely. On my iPad mini, turning captions on makes it really slow.. (But I thought in a previous version of VLC, it was fast -- I may be confusing it with my iPhone though..) At the very least, you could try this. The easiest way to get them from your computer to the iPad is via iTunes. This does NOT need to be the same computer with which you sync the iPad. You go to the apps tab, then the bottom, select VLC, and drag the MPEG 2 files in..

I use both of these, but use #2 for a way to watch news/documentary/some game shows faster than realtime (since VLC allows that too).
Interesting. I didn't even realize there was an iOS version of VLC (free too) available. I installed it on my iPad Air, turned on web server on my PC, and downloaded a decrypted HD .mpg from .TiVo file (720p) with captions. Surprisingly the iPad air played it back flawlessly, but only with captions turned off. As soon as I enabled captions playback became horribly choppy. In any case, it's nice to have another playback option. Though realistically, these HD mpeg2 files are too big to download to the iPad so not really a practical solution, but nice to know that it's possible...
I'll have to do some experimenting now to see if H.264 with captions (generated by VideoRedo) will play properly via VLC on the iPad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:10 PM   #6783
mattack

OK, the 'choppiness' sounds like what I'm referring to. I admit I should do this too (and have done it for OTHER VLC problems that have since gotten fixed), but please go to videolan.org and support/report a bug to write a bug about this.

I hope at some point someone can try to make the captions faster.

I guess you're doing all HD shows? Yeah, those are pretty gigantic.. But my SD shows are usually in the .9-3 gig range, and
at worst, I sometimes chop them up into a few pieces.. Yeah, it's a lot of work, but IMHO _far_ better than transcoding them.

BTW, the web server is almost certainly WAY slower than just dragging it through iTunes.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:47 PM   #6784
moyekj

I used VideoRedo iPad profile to encode H.264 + AAC video from my HD mpeg2 clip above. Then downloaded to iPad using VLC and oddly it refuses to play the file. Uploading to iPad my normal way (I avoid iTunes like the plague) I can play the video without a problem using iPad built in player, but of course no captions available there.

On my PC I can play it with VLC, however even though mediainfo shows captions available, VLC doesn't give option to display captions, so I guess captions in mp4 container are not supported by VLC.

So doesn't look like the iPad VLC player is too robust to me from short time I've played with it, though it did play HD mpeg2 file (with captions off) flawlessly which is a plus.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #6785
epstewart

Quote:
There are several ways you can play Tivo recordings on an iPad with closed captions
1) Tivo Stream (separate box for Premiere + Roamio Basic, or built into the other Roamios -- I have a now unnecessary Tivo Stream in case anyone wants to buy it cheap too...) + iOS app. Though to be clear, there are "some" kinds of recordings that don't show up the captions. I don't remember the technical details, but in my layman description, MOST but not all standard def recordings do not show captions, but high def recordings DO.
Thanks for the excellent input! I do indeed stream movies to my iPad from my Roamio Plus this way. My current concern has to do with archived TV shows no longer on the TiVo.

Quote:
2) You can play 'raw' files downloaded with kmttg (i.e. decoded MPEG 2 files) with VLC. It will show captions too, though it depends on the speed of your iPad most likely. On my iPad mini, turning captions on makes it really slow.. (But I thought in a previous version of VLC, it was fast -- I may be confusing it with my iPhone though..) At the very least, you could try this.
You have impelled me to try VLC Streamer for my iPad. I didn't know about it before. In early tests it does seem to work well with .mpg files that have captions in an associated .srt file.

Quote:
The easiest way to get them from your computer to the iPad is via iTunes. This does NOT need to be the same computer with which you sync the iPad. You go to the apps tab, then the bottom, select VLC, and drag the MPEG 2 files in..
You lost me there. I guess you mean if I am using the VLC for iOS app instead of VLC Streamer? I'll try that one tomorrow!

Anyway, thanks for all the info ...
Old 05-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #6786
moyekj

Quote:
You lost me there. I guess you mean if I am using the VLC for iOS app instead of VLC Streamer? I'll try that one tomorrow!
That's the one I used (and it's free). If you want to avoid iTunes with it you can since this app has a "WiFi Uploader" option that when you turn on makes a web server out of your iPad. Then using web browser on your computer you can connect to your iPad URL and drag and drop video files to it which then get uploaded to the iPad. Quick and easy and avoids the iTunes nightmare.

The odd thing though is that H264 files I encoded using VideoRedo didn't work with the VLC player for some reason, but the mpeg2 versions of them (decrypted .TiVo files) did work (with captions turned off).

Old 05-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #6787
moyekj

v1p0s release

v1p0s version just released.

This version re-enables Resume Downloads option for series 4 or later TiVos (you should have 20.4.1 software for it to work though and even then it could be flaky).

Also added new MR button to Remote Search and Guide tabs which can be used for setting up single or repeat manual recordings.

Some other changes/fixes are included as well. Consult release_notes Wiki for full details.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #6788
epstewart

Quote:
I'm now fairly sure the problem is the large number of bits Subler puts in its output file's subtitles track, and I'm trying ways to adjust that track's video settings downward so as to reduce the streaming data rate and avoid the pausing. I've cut down the pixel resolution of the subtitles and am definitely getting reduced network bandwidth usage, but still too many kilobytes per second to thwart the pausing. Next I'll cut the subtitles' resolution much more drastically and try that.
I was apparently on the wrong track there. It turned out I couldn't eliminate iTunes-to-iPad Home Streaming pauses in .mp4/.m4v videos I derive, using kmttg and VideoReDo, from TiVo downloads, just by cutting down the closed captions/subtitles' pixel resolution. The remuxed files produced by Subler carry the subtitles as text, and iTunes turns them into a video overlay at a set resolution on the fly. At that point the overlay and the underlying video are apparently of whatever resolution the underlying video originally had.

I contacted Damiano Galassi, author of Subler, and he told me the solution is to use the Optimize function, which is in Subler's File menu, on the just-remuxed file. That causes Subler to interleave the subtitles already present in the .m4v file with small chunks of the video and audio, rather than put all the subtitles at the start of the file. I tried that, and my unwanted pauses all but entirely disappeared.

I did have one unwanted pause while streaming two TV shows, but that happened while I was stressing the I/O capability of an external computer drive other than the one the video being streamed is on. I suppose taxing the computer in that way understandably can cause a streaming pause.

My earlier testing showed that turning on subtitles on the iPad during streaming of a non-optimized video made the data rate across my home network shoot up. I blamed the higher data rate for the streaming pauses. I still stand by the idea that the monitored data rate did shoot up when I streamed non-optimized videos. I assume (I haven't checked this) that the data rate for optimized video streams must be more moderate. Yet I have no explanation for why interleaving the subtitles would lower the data rate to a more tolerable level, or for that matter why failing to optimize the video for streaming would (indirectly) cause the data rate to shoot up.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #6789
AlanH220

Copy protect flag blinking on and off

Copy protect flag blinking on and off

Sorry if this has been asked before - I am using kmttg v1p0s on a 2011 iMac Desktop running OS X 10.9.2 with a TiVo Roamio Pro. Have had no problems of any sort up to now of transferring and decrypting.

But just in the last 2 days weird things began. For example, everything in "Now Playing" on the TiVo shows up as copy-protected in kmttg. However, if I delete and then restore the program, the copy protect flag goes away. Further, using Roxio Toast's awful TiVo Transfer program, the DVR does not even show up.

To make matters more confusing, when I run Tivo's Desktop and kmttg on a Windows machine, I can "see" the DVR and can transfer programs with no copy flag showing.

So I'm led to believe there may be a config problem on the Mac side but I'm at a loss to understand what. I've powered down and rebooted every device. I have an AirPort Extreme router, Comcast cable, and even turned off all firewalls.

Any suggestions from this brilliant group? Many thanks in advance.
AlanH220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:30 PM   #6790
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanH220 View Post
But just in the last 2 days weird things began. For example, everything in "Now Playing" on the TiVo shows up as copy-protected in kmttg. However, if I delete and then restore the program, the copy protect flag goes away.
Try reversing the "Use RPC to get NPL when possible" setting under config-Program Options and then refresh NPL table to see what happens.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #6791
AlanH220

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Try reversing the "Use RPC to get NPL when possible" setting under config-Program Options and then refresh NPL table to see what happens.
AMAZING. That worked. Perfectly. At first I uninstalled kmttg completely from my Mac, deleted, and reinstalled. This flag was not set "on" by default, but when I checked the option the copy protect flags reappeared. So now it is set "off", for good.

Just for curiosity - why does this happen?

Many thanks!! All looks good again.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #6792
moyekj

Quote:
AMAZING. That worked. Perfectly. At first I uninstalled kmttg completely from my Mac, deleted, and reinstalled. This flag was not set "on" by default, but when I checked the option the copy protect flags reappeared. So now it is set "off", for good.

Just for curiosity - why does this happen?

Many thanks!! All looks good again.
Could be a bug. Do me a favor and do the following:
* From Remote-ToDo tab press Refresh button to populate ToDo table.
* Then select a show in the ToDo table
* Choose File->Clear all messages to clear message window
* With show selected in ToDo table now press j keyboard button

This will dump show information to message window. Copy/paste that information to this thread. Of particular interest is the "drm" data. Under "drm" if there's a "tivoToGo" entry kmttg it should have a value of true in order for kmttg to consider it unprotected.

(I don't provide a way of dumping such data from NPL tables unfortunately which is what would really be interesting, but ToDo data may provide some clues).

Old 05-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #6793
AlanH220

Quote:
Could be a bug. Do me a favor and do the following:
* From Remote-ToDo tab press Refresh button to populate ToDo table.
* Then select a show in the ToDo table
* Choose File->Clear all messages to clear message window
* With show selected in ToDo table now press j keyboard button

This will dump show information to message window. Copy/paste that information to this thread. Of particular interest is the "drm" data. Under "drm" if there's a "tivoToGo" entry kmttg it should have a value of true in order for kmttg to consider it unprotected.

(I don't provide a way of dumping such data from NPL tables unfortunately which is what would really be interesting, but ToDo data may provide some clues).
Here you go - I pasted all the information into a TXT file. The relevant ddm portion follows (it's for The Graham Norton Show later tonight on BBC America HD):

"size": 0,
"quality": "best",
"originalAirdate": "2014-05-02",
"cc": true,
"collectionType": "series",
"partnerCollectionId": "EP009313630268",
"subscriptionForCollectionIdAndChannel": [{
"useOfferStartPadding": false,
"type": "subscription",
"bodyId": "",
"useOfferEndPadding": false
}],
"collectionId": "tivo:cl.97361913",
"requestedEndTime": "2014-05-11 04:00:00",
"state": "scheduled",
"remindUser": false,
"repeat": true,
"contentId": "tivo:ct.314625297",
"levelOfDetail": "medium",
"title": "The Graham Norton Show",
"requestedEndPadding": 0,
"isEpisode": true,
"drm": {
"multiRoomView": true,
"multiRoomStream": true,
"cgms": "none",
"recordingPlaybackPolicy": "allowed",
"type": "drm",
"tivoToGo": true,
"mrsPlaybackPolicy": "allowed"
},
Attached Files
File Type: txt TiVo Roamio.txt (5.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #6794
moyekj

That looks normal and would not indicate copy protection for kmttg. Of course we don't know what your NPL data has.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #6795
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Under v1p0s, It looks like the downloads under java slows down after about a minute, speed drops down to 0.0-0.6 Mbps. This happens on regular and resumed downloads. This was not happening under v1p0r. Was there a change in the coding, or some error?
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:48 PM   #6796
moyekj

No changes at all related to that part of the code in a long time and it seems to be working for me...

Old 05-10-2014, 08:46 PM   #6797
caddyroger

If I under stand right if a programs stops during the down load Kmttg v1p0s should be able to resume the download. I have Download by java clicked and do no not have rpc checked.
How do I restart the down load?
Old 05-10-2014, 08:51 PM   #6798
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
If I under stand right if a programs stops during the down load Kmttg v1p0s should be able to resume the download. I have Download by java clicked and do no not have rpc checked.
How do I restart the down load?
Set pause point of the failing download show to beyond failure point on the TiVo itself, then refresh listings in kmttg, then enable File-Resume Downloads before downloading.
NOTE: You should rename already downloaded segment to something else or resume will overwrite.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:55 PM   #6799
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Under v1p0s, It looks like the downloads under java slows down after about a minute, speed drops down to 0.0-0.6 Mbps. This happens on regular and resumed downloads. This was not happening under v1p0r. Was there a change in the coding, or some error?
It must have been a fluke, since I have restarted KMTTG, it looked like the downloads worked as it should.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #6800
caddyroger

Quote:
Set pause point of the failing download show to beyond failure point on the TiVo itself, then refresh listings in kmttg, then enable File-Resume Downloads before downloading.
NOTE: You should rename already downloaded segment to something else or resume will overwrite.
Ok I will try that. Thanks
Old 05-11-2014, 01:56 AM   #6801
caddyroger

Quote:
I finally got to my computer to check the resume download function. It worked very good. Thanks again.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #6802
AlanH220

Quote:
That looks normal and would not indicate copy protection for kmttg. Of course we don't know what your NPL data has.
Is there anything more I can dump for you that might be helpful?
Old 05-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #6803
moyekj

Quote:
Is there anything more I can dump for you that might be helpful?
I added ability to dump RPC data in this beta version of kmttg.jar contained in this zip file.
If you can replace your current kmttg.jar with the one in the above zip file then you can now select a show in NPL table and press R on keyboard to obtain and dump RPC data to message window. Then copy/paste that data to this thread.
(You should of course enable the RPC NPL option that is resulting in copy protect tags before refreshing NPL and doing the above).

Old 05-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #6804
AlanH220

Quote:
I added ability to dump RPC data in this beta version of kmttg.jar contained in this zip file.
If you can replace your current kmttg.jar with the one in the above zip file then you can now select a show in NPL table and press R on keyboard to obtain and dump RPC data to message window. Then copy/paste that data to this thread.
(You should of course enable the RPC NPL option that is resulting in copy protect tags before refreshing NPL and doing the above).
I downloaded, installed and tested your beta jar file. What's crazy now is that when I set RPC for NPL on or off - in either the beta version or having reverting back to the "s" version - I no longer get any of the copy protect flags on. I can't explain it. Only thing I did earlier today was to use Mac Disk Utilities to check/repair file permissions.

In any case, everything looks to be working perfectly again with version "s" - will advise if anything goes amiss again.
Attached Files
File Type: txt More TiVo Roamio Data.txt (13.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 05-13-2014, 08:02 AM   #6805
reffr

Help - Since New Ver Not able to use VideoRedo Profiles

Everything was working fine. I use VideoRedo profiles to encode my files. Then all of a sudden I the VideoRedo profiles do not show up in KMTTG. I tried refreshing, restarting, creating new profiles within VideoRedo. So now, I have to manually batch convert the files. Can you please help me figure out why the profiles no longer show up.

Thanks so much!
Rob
reffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #6806
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffr View Post
Everything was working fine. I use VideoRedo profiles to encode my files. Then all of a sudden I the VideoRedo profiles do not show up in KMTTG. I tried refreshing, restarting, creating new profiles within VideoRedo. So now, I have to manually batch convert the files. Can you please help me figure out why the profiles no longer show up.

Thanks so much!
Rob
Under kmttg Configure-VideoRedo tab make sure you have the following option enabled:
"Show VideoRedo encoding profiles"

If that is enabled and you're not getting profiles that means kmttg is failing to get profiles from VideoRedo, and there should be a related error message I'd need to see. Also post the exact version of VideoRedo you are using with kmttg.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:14 PM   #6807
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffr View Post

Thanks so much!
Rob
Quote:
Under kmttg Configure-VideoRedo tab make sure you have the following option enabled:
"Show VideoRedo encoding profiles"

If that is enabled and you're not getting profiles that means kmttg is failing to get profiles from VideoRedo, and there should be a related error message I'd need to see. Also post the exact version of VideoRedo you are using with kmttg.
Recently, my entire VideoReDo folder got moved somehow which of course made the path in kmttg invalid. The desktop icon also stopped working but the one on the taskbar continued to function.

Once I found it and moved it back, I was able to re-enable all the kmttg VideoReDo options.

I have no idea how it happened as I did not do it and I'm the only one who uses this machine.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #6808
ALbino
Lurker Series 2

When browsing the Guide in KMTTG is there a way to choose different times than 11am/11pm? Or a way to change those defaults by editing a file? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #6809
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALbino View Post
When browsing the Guide in KMTTG is there a way to choose different times than 11am/11pm? Or a way to change those defaults by editing a file? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
It is not "11am/11pm", it is 12 hour blocks starting with the current hour.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #6810
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALbino View Post
The "Start" cyclic has 23 entries in 12 hour intervals corresponding to 12 days worth of guide information based on the current time rounded down to nearest hour. Obviously you can change the start time of the 12 hour period by adjusting the Start cyclic.
i.e. If you were to use the Guide function around 2pm then you would see 2pm/2am for next 12 days as your available start points.
So you can only change your start time to be increments of 12 hours ahead of current time.