TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #6751
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by spammsmcghee View Post
No dice....
You need to put double quotes around the full path to javaw.exe as I mentioned in my post (since the path has spaces in it).
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #6752
spammsmcghee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You could change the "Start in" folder to where Javaw.exe is located, not where KMTTG is located.

Then where do I put this part, and what do I attach it to? ...
javaw -Xms256m -Xmx1028m -jar kmttg.jar

It's not taking it on the Start In box with the Javaw path.
spammsmcghee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #6753
moyekj

No, the start in folder should be the kmttg installation dir, else you will need to provide the full path to kmttg.jar. Just add the double quotes around full path to javaw.exe and it should work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #6754
moyekj

If you don't want to bother with start dir then use following as target instead:
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -Xms256m -Xmx1028m -jar "C:\Users\Blalock\Desktop\kmttg_v1p0l\kmttg.jar"
(You should also update your kmttg installation using Help->Update kmttg if you are truly still running version v1p0l)

Old 05-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #6755
spammsmcghee

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
If you don't want to bother with start dir then use following as target instead:
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -Xms256m -Xmx1028m -jar "C:\Users\Blalock\Desktop\kmttg_v1p0l\kmttg.jar"
(You should also update your kmttg installation using Help->Update kmttg if you are truly still running version v1p0l)

Will the update solve my problem? I got the shortcut to work, but I believe the problem still exists. It's hanging up on the NP List like it was before. I'm waiting for the red error text to show so I can copy it.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #6756
spammsmcghee

Quote:
Originally Posted by spammsmcghee View Post
Will the update solve my problem? I got the shortcut to work, but I believe the problem still exists. It's hanging up on the NP List like it was before. I'm waiting for the red error text to show so I can copy it.

I can't tell if it's right or not. It says NPL job is finished, but then it's hanging on the remote NP List. Here is the log....

https://10.0.0.7/TiVoConnect?Command...nchorOffset=48
NPL job completed: 0:00:06
---DONE--- job=javaplaylist tivo=Family Room
>> Continuing Now Playing List from Family Room (48/71)...
https://10.0.0.4/TiVoConnect?Command...nchorOffset=48
NPL job completed: 0:00:07
---DONE--- job=javaplaylist tivo=Master Bedroom
54 SHOWS, 67 GB USED
>> RUNNING 'REMOTE NP List' JOB FOR TiVo: Master Bedroom
NPL job completed: 0:00:08
>> Continuing Now Playing List from Family Room (64/71)...
https://10.0.0.4/TiVoConnect?Command...nchorOffset=64
NPL job completed: 0:00:09
71 SHOWS, 304 GB USED
>> RUNNING 'REMOTE NP List' JOB FOR TiVo: Family Room
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled3.jpg (28.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #6757
moyekj

If your TiVos are series 4 or later then yes, you need to update as older versions of kmttg will have an expired RPC certificate that no longer works, so none of the "remote" tasks will run. If these are series 3 units then it's a different problem. It's trivial to update: Just choose Help->Update kmttg... let it install and exit, then re-start kmttg.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:21 PM   #6758
riise317

quick question, fairly new kmttg user here...

everything is setup and running very well, just recently used the program to transfer my season passes and everything worked as expected.

i am able to download any recording from my tivo using metadata and decrypt options only. once the files are on my computer i use pyTivo to publish and start the transfer from my NPL. the transfer completes normally and i can watch the show but the video quality seems to be much lower. i get black bars top and bottom as well as it appears fuzzy and non-hd for lack of a better term.

is there a setting i am missing? i thought that the decrypt option would not change video quality?
riise317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #6759
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by riise317 View Post
quick question, fairly new kmttg user here...

everything is setup and running very well, just recently used the program to transfer my season passes and everything worked as expected.

i am able to download any recording from my tivo using metadata and decrypt options only. once the files are on my computer i use pyTivo to publish and start the transfer from my NPL. the transfer completes normally and i can watch the show but the video quality seems to be much lower. i get black bars top and bottom as well as it appears fuzzy and non-hd for lack of a better term.

is there a setting i am missing? i thought that the decrypt option would not change video quality?
If you are just doing decrypt then there is NO loss of quality. You can confirm that yourself playing the decrypted .mpg using VideoLAN VLC or any player that can handle mpeg2 playback.
When you transfer mpeg2 files back to your TiVo using pyTivo for normal setup it will just leave the file alone and you get the same quality on the TiVo. Sounds like in your case perhaps somehow your pyTivo setup is transcoding on the fly when transferring to TiVo which would be a problem. But followup questions should really be in the pyTivo thread of this forum - if you post a pyTivo log file there as well as your pyTivo.conf file along with explanation of your problem you will get some good answers and be able to narrow in on the problem.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #6760
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Best guess, riise317 is using an antique version of pyTivo that doesn't recognize the TiVo as an HD model.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #6761
mattack

I should probably know the answer to this, and I hope I didn't actually ask it before...

Since one Roamio can stream/download to multiple other Minis/Tivos at the same time... can the web server actually handle multiple downloads from the same machine at the same time?

Specifically, could kmttg do multiple downloads at the same time from the same Tivo? If it could, would it make the downloads any faster, or is the Roamio already pumping the data out absolutely as fast as it can?

I thought of this because I was "pipelining" downloads last night for a few of the remaining shows that I'm still recording on multiple tivos (no really great reasons why, I just haven't really transferred all SPs to my Roamio, and since you sometimes still get glitchy recordings, I like having a backup to try to download once in a while)..

i.e. even though downloading from the Roamio is MANY MANY times faster than from the P4, while I was downloading the huge HD 24 recording, I downloaded a few shows from my P4, that I would have otherwise downloaded from the Roamio..

and it made me wonder if the Roamio could really be doing multiple downloads simultaneously, and if so, if it's ANY faster than doing them sequentially.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #6762
moyekj

Haven't specifically tried with Roamios, but historically the internal TiVo web server doesn't like to dish out more than 1 recording at a time, and attempting to do so often breaks it to the point you need to reboot the TiVo before TTG will work again. I doubt that has changed since TiVo hasn't messed with the internal web server for a long, long time other than to fix the time bomb issue about a year ago.

If you feel adventurous you can always try it yourself by starting a download in kmttg, then start another kmttg window and try a download of a different show from the same Roamio, but be warned this could well lead you to have to reboot the Roamio to restore TTG functionality.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #6763
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

One think I have found is that, if you had downloaded in TS format on the roamio and switched to PS, the server would either crash or stop working and only a reboot would get it working to download again. Only getting/refreshing the NPL will work during this state.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:22 PM   #6764
mattack

OK, I guess I can't prove from the FAQs that you can actually download to multiple Tivos at once.. It says this about streaming "You can stream up to four shows simultaneously to four mobile devices in your home. " and it also says you can download to one iOS device outside the home while others are streaming or watching inside the home.

I sure *suspect* it will allow you to do it... I guess I can try with my iPhone, iPad, and other Tivo at the same time.

Even with the (internal or external) Stream, they're all essentially downloading via the web service, aren't they?

Is there any way I can, at my own risk, play with letting kmttg try multiple downloads?

I'm just curious...

Oh, and was there any more info about resume downloads really being available? I thought a few weeks ago it was working for you again..
Old 05-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #6765
moyekj

Multi Room Streaming (MRS) is different than TiVo To Go (TTG) in that it is just transferring bits. TTG has a lot more work to do as it involves decrypt, demux, remux, encrypt, a process which historically has consumed a lot of CPU cycles which is why it is faster with each TiVo series getting a better CPU. 2 or more MRS streams at once have been possible ever since MRS first came out. The iOS streaming uses MRS to get stream from the TiVo, and then Stream hardware to transcode to H.264, so it's MRS based as well. So you're comparing apples and oranges.

As I said, you can test multiple downloads at once pretty easily by starting 2 or more kmttg windows and downloading 1 show in each.

Resume downloads is somewhat flaky but working with 20.4.1 and has been re-enabled in source code in preparation for next release. It seems to work best using "java downloads" mode, not curl, and you cannot enable "Use RPC to get NPL when possible" option if you want to use it, since RPC data doesn't have the byte offset needed for resume.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:20 PM   #6766
mattack

Cool, thanks. I hope you can somehow make it clear in the preferences that resume & "Use RPC to get NPL when possible" are contradictory options.

"starting 2 or more kmttg windows". I'll have to try at home, but I don't know if this is built into the app, or if I have to duplicate the app on the Mac. On the Mac, kmttg acts close to a "regular application", which normally can only have one running at a time... If you're a regular app that can make multiple windows, I never tried that before.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #6767
moyekj

Don't know about Mac, but on Windows and linux you can run multiple kmttg sessions at once, so I don't see why it wouldn't work on Mac. Also, you can always use pyTivo or just a web browser to start another download while kmttg is already downloading one, it doesn't have to be multiple kmttg sessions.

I do have a note in the tooltip for "Use RPC to get NPL when possible" about Resume Downloads issue. Unfortunately many people seem to ignore the tooltip text and will end up learning the hard way.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #6768
wireman121

Just curious - is there anyway to make kmttg request a show as a MRS file instead of a TTG file? So it would get to kmttg faster and then decrypt there? Or does MRS not allow it to send files that way?
wireman121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:17 PM   #6769
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireman121 View Post
Just curious - is there anyway to make kmttg request a show as a MRS file instead of a TTG file? So it would get to kmttg faster and then decrypt there? Or does MRS not allow it to send files that way?
No. Streaming and transfer are two entirely different things. Even streaming to a TiVo from a computer (which is possible) is very different from streaming from a TiVo to a computer (which isn't).

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:51 AM   #6770
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireman121 View Post
I think you are confusing yourself between MRS/TTG versus Program Stream/Transport Stream. Program Stream is standard in that is what format Tivo files have always been transferred as. Transport stream is fairly new and transfers are faster than when using the Program Stream.

I think kmttg can be set to pull either way, but I don't know what/where that setting is.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #6771
wireman121

Nah not confused - I meant mrs and TTG, and I think I got the answer I was looking for....
wireman121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #6772
epstewart

Apologies if this is not the right thread/forum ... I need help with a problematic workflow that begins with kmttg and ends with Home Sharing videos from iTunes to my iPad.

The videos, by design, wind up with closed captions in the form of soft subtitles. When I turn on the subtitles track while watching a video as it is streamed to the iPad, I get irritating pauses. It looks as if the scrubber bar has run out of buffered material at each pause point.

If I turn off the subtitles, I can watch the video pause-free.

So the act of turning on subtitles seems to bottleneck the stream at some point. I can't be sure where the bottleneck is located.

Here' show I derive these videos. After using kmttg to download, decrypt, and extract captions from a TV show, I use VideoReDo to manually do a QuickStream Fix and trim off the video's unwanted material. I save the result as a .mpg file (in case I need it later) and then I also save it as a .mp4 file, using an appropriate profile whose parameters (resolution, average bitrate, max bitrate, etc.) I have tried to adjust to get rid of the problem, with no success yet. (I can furnish details if necessary.)

Then I remux the .mp4 file to add in the .srt file, the one containing the closed captions that kmttg created. I use a Mac utility called Subler for that. The result is a .m4v file that I add to my iTunes library. I can stream that file to my iPad's Videos app via its Sharing capability. As I say, the play of the stream typically gets interrupted by unwanted pauses, but only when I tell the Videos app to show the soft subtitles.

I have one video that I made some time ago using, if I remember correctly, HandBrake to both transcode .mpg to .mp4 and incorporate captions as soft subtitles. When I stream it while displaying soft subs, no pauses. But remaking it using the workflow I just described has given me a video with unwanted streaming pauses.

I realize this could be an issue involving too high an average bitrate or too high a maximum bitrate, but it looks like it's not that simple. The video that does not pause has a slightly higher data rate, according to QuickTime Player, than the one that pauses: 2.44 Mbits/s vs. 2.40 Mbits/s. Of course, this does not tell me what the maximum bitrate is, so these things are quite hard to pin down.

Any help that anyone can give me insofar as how to further diagnose this problem and eventually triumph over it will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance ...

Edit for additional information:

I made a very, very low bitrate version of the file alluded to above that streams fine until soft subs are turned on, but that tolerates soft subs in its earlier version that (I think) HandBrake made. This newer, "LBR" version has such a low bitrate that it exhibits macroblocking when played. Yet it still gives me streaming pauses when soft subs are on.

So I looked at my router's traffic monitoring stats in Safari on my iPhone while the video was being streamed to my iPad. With subtitles off, the count of bytes being sent and received on the appropriate network connections edged up at a reasonable rate, in the tens of thousands every few seconds. But with subtitles on, those counts started shooting up by the tens of millions every few seconds.

It looks like the data rate for the subtitles track itself is huge! Much greater than the data rate for the video track.

That subtitles track was created by the Subler remux utility, based on a .srt file containing kmttg-derived closed captions. Subler converted that .srt file into a "Tx3g" track in its output file. "Tx3g" is a term I'm not familiar with. Subler says the subtitle track's visual settings use a normal size and also a scaled size of 960x81 pixels, in a file whose video resolution is 960x544. The offset of the subtitles is given as 0x462 pixels, and 462 + 81 is 543, near enough to 544. I'm going to try changing the scaled size to 240x20 with an offset of 0x524, to see if that reduces the overall data rate and wards off streaming pauses.

Last edited by epstewart : 05-08-2014 at 01:39 PM. Reason: More information
epstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:45 PM   #6773
moyekj

Eric, I guess a quick test is if you use QuickTime player on your Mac do you get pauses with subs turned on as well, or is it just on the iPad that happens?
I suppose another option if you can't figure it out is to burn captions into the video itself (i.e. they would be permanently part of the video with no option to turn on/off).

Old 05-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #6774
epstewart

Quote:
Eric, I guess a quick test is if you use QuickTime player on your Mac do you get pauses with subs turned on as well, or is it just on the iPad that happens?
I suppose another option if you can't figure it out is to burn captions into the video itself (i.e. they would be permanently part of the video with no option to turn on/off).
Hi, Kevin,

Thanks for responding so quickly. The streaming pauses are just on the iPad and also on the iPhone. Not in QT Player on the Mac.

Burning in the subtitles is a HandBrake capability but not something the Subler remuxer app can do AFAIK. I am trying to avoid using HB because so much of what it does VideoReDo already does, plus VRD does QuickStream Fix and also lets me edit the video. Also I find HB's user interface hard to figure out.

I'm now fairly sure the problem is the large number of bits Subler puts in its output file's subtitles track, and I'm trying ways to adjust that track's video settings downward so as to reduce the streaming data rate and avoid the pausing. I've cut down the pixel resolution of the subtitles and am definitely getting reduced network bandwidth usage, but still too many kilobytes per second to thwart the pausing. Next I'll cut the subtitles' resolution much more drastically and try that.

Incidentally, FWIW, I seem to be proving that Home Sharing video streaming to an iOS device does not actually stream the subtitles track unless the user turns on that track in the Videos app.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #6775
lpwcomp

epstewart,

Is there a reason why you are not just leaving the closed captions in place?

Old 05-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #6776
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
epstewart,

I think the problem is iOS can't handle captions in same format as TiVo likes them, so you have jump through hoops to convert them to something iOS can handle.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:29 PM   #6777
epstewart

Quote:
epstewart,

James,

As Kevin said above, if I want to use TiVo-derived videos in iTunes and/or on iOS devices — and if I don't necessarily want to burn in captions using HandBrake — I have to jump through hoops. True, if I use pyTivo, I can just hang onto .mpg files with original closed captions. I can move them back to my TiVo at will and then stream or download them to the TiVo app on my iPad. That works! But I confess to being a tinkerer, and I'm looking at how I can go the route I described in my earlier post and get the videos to Home Stream from iTunes to iPad/iPhone, yet not forsake captions/subtitles in the process.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #6778
lpwcomp

Quote:
I think the problem is iOS can't handle captions in same format as TiVo likes them, so you have jump through hoops to convert them to something iOS can handle.
While I don't doubt the distinct possibility(probability?) that iOS doesn't support standard closed captions since that would be typical Apple behavior, it might be worth a shot for him to try the following:

1. Download the video from the TiVo in Transport Stream format.

2. Use VideoReDo to edit the .tivo file and save it in a compatible format.

3. Download (or stream) the converted video to your iOS device and see if the closed captions are there.

Last edited by lpwcomp : 05-08-2014 at 03:41 PM. Reason: add stream
Old 05-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #6779
epstewart

Quote:
While I don't doubt the distinct possibility(probability?) that iOS doesn't support standard closed captions since that would be typical Apple behavior, it might be worth a shot for him to try the following:

1. Download the video from the TiVo in Transport Stream format.

2. Use VideoReDo to edit the .tivo file and save it in a compatible format.

3. Download (or stream) the converted video to your iOS device and see if the closed captions are there.
James,

Problem is, the closed captions are not automatically "there" on an iOS device.

That's because the native format playable on iOS devices is MPEG-4, not MPEG-2. Its files have .mp4 or .m4v extensions, not .mpg. The contained video streams are encoded as h.264, aka AVC. So a decrypted .TiVo file, as an .mpg, contains closed captions, but transcoding it to .mp4/.m4v loses the captions. That's why kmttg has a "captions" function that uses CCExtractor to externalize the captions as a .srt file.

The .srt file can be used by HandBrake or by remux utilities like Subler to fold the captions into the .mp4/.m4v file as a stream separate from the video and audio streams. That's what "soft subtitles" are. They can be turned on or off during playback.

Or HandBrake, in particular, can "burn" the captions in the input video (or in a separate .srt file) into the actual .mp4/.m4v output video, so that they always appear and cannot be turned off. That's what "hard subtitles" are.

I could go with hard subs, but I prefer soft subs, if only because I would like to avoid using HandBrake. Remuxing the soft subs into the .mp4 file produced by VideoReDo is quick and easy, using Subler ... but I need to figure out exactly how to do it such that the soft subs, when turned on, don't send the data rate of the streamed video sky high.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:53 PM   #6780
mattack

I didn't read all of the recent info.. but I do see mention of iPad & closed captions.

There are several ways you can play Tivo recordings on an iPad with closed captions
1) Tivo Stream (separate box for Premiere + Roamio Basic, or built into the other Roamios -- I have a now unnecessary Tivo Stream in case anyone wants to buy it cheap too...) + iOS app. Though to be clear, there are "some" kinds of recordings that don't show up the captions. I don't remember the technical details, but in my layman description, MOST but not all standard def recordings do not show captions, but high def recordings DO.

2) You can play 'raw' files downloaded with kmttg (i.e. decoded MPEG 2 files) with VLC. It will show captions too, though it depends on the speed of your iPad most likely. On my iPad mini, turning captions on makes it really slow.. (But I thought in a previous version of VLC, it was fast -- I may be confusing it with my iPhone though..) At the very least, you could try this. The easiest way to get them from your computer to the iPad is via iTunes. This does NOT need to be the same computer with which you sync the iPad. You go to the apps tab, then the bottom, select VLC, and drag the MPEG 2 files in..

I use both of these, but use #2 for a way to watch news/documentary/some game shows faster than realtime (since VLC allows that too).