TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-29-2014, 09:09 PM   #6721
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdawsonvenice View Post
This is my 1st time using kmttg and my 1st post - please be gentle.

I have a new Roamia and it often fails (sometimes restarts) when I try to publish (upload) a .wmv file that I add to an auto-transfer folder on my PC. I use the latest TiVo Desktop Plus (2.8.3).

I have read that I should use kmttg to first convert the .wmv file to .tivo format. I installed/opened kmttg but find it a little daunting.

In the FILES section I added a wmv file to be converted. I have opened and added several different encode files that have "tivo" in their filename, but none seem to result in output that has a .tivo format. Can someone tell me which Encoding Profile is for creating a .tivo file from a .wmv input?

Thanks.
You would not need to convert to .TiVo file, .wmv is an accepted format along with .mpg, .mp4.
A .TiVo file is an encrypted file with the Media Access Key.
You may be having some unforeseen problems in the video file.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:24 PM   #6722
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
"curl: (33) HTTP server doesn't seem to support byte ranges. Cannot resume."
Isn't this what happens when the web server in the Tivo gets "confused"? Yes, my admittedly non-technical description.

On my old Tivos that did support resume, I think if you'd cancel then try again too soon, or other weird happenings, this would happen.. You'd have to either reboot the Tivo or wait ~10-20 mins for the Tivo to get back to normal.
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:29 PM   #6723
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyTV View Post
Is it just me or has anyone else seen transfer speed drop by 1/3, down from mid 80 Mbps, down to mid 50's. This is in just the last few days.

I've got a roamio 4 channel and it's running 20.4.1. I rebooted everything and no change. Even rebooted my cisco switch the two are on.
You rebooted and it didn't fix it, but my (again non-technical on this issue, sorry) experience is that usually the Roamio transfers about ~3 MB/second to a computer (you see kmttg jump by 3 MB each step).. But if the network gets messed up for a minute (e.g. I bump the outgoing cable to my router in the other room), even after the Tivos themselves realize the net is back up, the transfers are often way slowed down.. e.g. Roamio is now down to about 1 MB/second at most.. about the speed the P4 does normally.
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:32 PM   #6724
bobdawsonvenice

Convert .wmv to .tivo for publishing (upload) from PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You would not need to convert to .TiVo file, .wmv is an accepted format along with .mpg, .mp4.
A .TiVo file is an encrypted file with the Media Access Key.
You may be having some unforeseen problems in the video file.
Thanks for the quick reply. For some reason several of my .wmv files cause the TiVo to restart without uploading or just fail completely. I was hoping to get these files to TiVo by converting to .tivo format on my PC and then putting the .tivo files in the folder to be auto-published (uploaded).

As far as problems in the video file, they play fine using WMP and I have also tried converting them to MP4, but TiVo still throws up on them.

If not kmttg, is there another program I can use to convert the .wmv files to .tivo before publishing?

Thanks again...
bobdawsonvenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:48 PM   #6725
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. For some reason several of my .wmv files cause the TiVo to restart without uploading or just fail completely. I was hoping to get these files to TiVo by converting to .tivo format on my PC and then putting the .tivo files in the folder to be auto-published (uploaded).

As far as problems in the video file, they play fine using WMP and I have also tried converting them to MP4, but TiVo still throws up on them.

If not kmttg, is there another program I can use to convert the .wmv files to .tivo before publishing?

Thanks again...
As I said before, .wmv is an accepted format. Converting to .Tivo files is irrelevant, and will not solve the problem. There may be something about the video file that is causing your problem. What/where did the .wmv files come from? Do you have MediaInfo or some other program that detects the type of video/audio contained. If you see the video file listed in the Tivo (at the bottom of the playlist) within the computer's folder, it may be an accepted file format, but the contents may or may not be compatible.

~~~~~

Last edited by ThAbtO : 04-29-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:40 PM   #6726
wireman121

Quote:
beta kmttg.jar with above fix is available in this zip file if you guys want to test.
All good man! Great work. Thanks for looking into and fixing this!

Now onto the next, haha -

this past week I've been noticing some errors with the download duration. - What is the point of this feature, and when turned on, how does it work? I'm trying to figure out of the problem is an issue with the actual download or just a change in network traffic causing it.
wireman121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:12 AM   #6727
moyekj

Quote:
pyTivo is the tool you want (kmttg is for transferring from your TiVos, not to them). You can throw pretty much any video at it and it will do what's needed automatically to transfer to your TiVos. It's MUCH better solution than TiVo Desktop since it handles many more formats and in a much smarter way. With pyTivo you would just leave your .wmv files as is and pyTivo will convert them as needed to something TiVo will play. There's a big thread in this sub-forum all about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:35 AM   #6728
ehagberg

extra metadata - change episode title to contain episode #?

I've got kmttg set up to download metadata and video, cut commercials and then push back to the tivo and it all works well, with the exception that all videos end up in a folder with just the episodeTitle listed and none of the info like episode number is available, even if I hit the info button.

I was hoping to be able to use the "extra metadata entries" config option to get the episode number added to the episodeTitle... but I can't seem to get the syntax right, if it's even possible, as I just end up with the literal "episodeTitle: [episodeNumber] - [episodeTitle]" added to the metadata file, rather tnan having those variables substituted.

Is there a slick/automated way to get this sort of info pushed back and shown on the Tivo? Without it, it causes mass-commercial-removal and pusing back of a whole season of a series to be unwatchable, as it's impossible to tell what the episode order is.
ehagberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #6729
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagberg View Post
Is there a slick/automated way to get this sort of info pushed back and shown on the Tivo? Without it, it causes mass-commercial-removal and pusing back of a whole season of a series to be unwatchable, as it's impossible to tell what the episode order is.
The problem is that "Push" retains very little of the metadata and there is nothing that we can do about. If you want to retain all of that information, then you need to "Pull" them back to the TiVo, which cannot be automated.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #6730
ehagberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
The problem is that "Push" retains very little of the metadata and there is nothing that we can do about. If you want to retain all of that information, then you need to "Pull" them back to the TiVo, which cannot be automated.
I understand that limitation (or at least know that it's there) but if there was a way to stuff the episode number into the episodetitle field in the metadata (the ep number is available in the metadata file) before pushing, rather than just leaving the episodetitlte as it's delivered, then we'd have that extra info available after the push. If there was a way to add a post-metadata-retrieval script that could be executed, it could definitely be automated, but it looks like such metadata munging isn't available currently, or at least I don't know of the right place to add a hooked-in script to make the needed changes.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #6731
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagberg View Post
I understand that limitation (or at least know that it's there) but if there was a way to stuff the episode number into the episodetitle field in the metadata (the ep number is available in the metadata file) before pushing, rather than just leaving the episodetitlte as it's delivered, then we'd have that extra info available after the push. If there was a way to add a post-metadata-retrieval script that could be executed, it could definitely be automated, but it looks like such metadata munging isn't available currently, or at least I don't know of the right place to add a hooked-in script to make the needed changes.
I actually have a python program I wrote for someone else that creates an episodeTitle. It should be easy to mod to make it add the episode # to the existing title instead.

kmttg does support running a "custom command". The problem is that it is the last thing to run, which means after the push request.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #6732
ehagberg

Quote:
kmttg does support running a "custom command". The problem is that it is the last thing to run, which means after the push request.
That's the problem... I suppose if the custom script had the ability to submit the push request itself, then you could simply uncheck the push checkbox and use just the custom script to modify the metadata file and push via pyTivo. Haven't tried this but I think it could be done, since it looks like kmttg just submits an http request to the pyTivo server that causes the file to be pushed. Looks like there'd be some potentially tricky filename escaping.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #6733
moyekj

It's a bit of a hack, but you can make a custom .enc file under "encode" folder whose <command> section is simply "customScriptName INPUT". Since the INPUT will be .mpg file the script will have to do some manipulation to build the metadata file name, but that should be pretty simple. Then your task set will enable "encode" task and will be executed before the push (and you'll just have to ignore errors from encode task related to missing output file).

Old 05-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #6734
lpwcomp

Quote:
It's a bit of a hack, but you can make a custom .enc file under "encode" folder whose <command> section is simply "customScriptName INPUT". Since the INPUT will be .mpg file the script will have to do some manipulation to build the metadata file name, but that should be pretty simple. Then your task set will enable "encode" task and will be executed before the push (and you'll just have to ignore errors from encode task related to missing output file).
I have something that works, both the .enc script and the python script. I don't consider this a bit of a hack, more like a major kludge.

I have to ask: Is there a reason for having the custom command run after the push request? After all, all the kmttg "push" job does is make a pyTivo request. Since the actual push is not going to be completed until much later and there is no way to determine when it is complete aside from looking at the pyTivo output, the custom command cannot change anything that would affect the push.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #6735
moyekj

Quote:
I have to ask: Is there a reason for having the custom command run after the push request?
There really is no good reason other than historically custom was always very last job. But it doesn't really make sense to have push before custom. It was pretty trivial to change the order so I already checked in code change for next release to run custom before push task (also changed the order shown in the GUI to reflect that).

Old 05-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #6736
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyTV View Post
Is it just me or has anyone else seen transfer speed drop by 1/3, down from mid 80 Mbps, down to mid 50's. This is in just the last few days.

I've got a roamio 4 channel and it's running 20.4.1. I rebooted everything and no change. Even rebooted my cisco switch the two are on.
No, it's not just you. I used to get 80-90 and now the best I get is maybe 70 or so. It seems to have changed since the last TiVo update. It may have been discussed here before but I haven't used the program lately and I don't recall if there was a reason mentioned. It may have even been TiVo to TiVo transfer speed that was discussed.

But yes, I am getting slower TiVo to computer transfer speeds now also.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #6737
lpwcomp

Quote:
There really is no good reason other than historically custom was always very last job. But it doesn't really make sense to have push before custom. It was pretty trivial to change the order so I already checked in code change for next release to run custom before push task (also changed the order shown in the GUI to reflect that).
Ok. Thanks. Makes for a much cleaner solution. I updated to this version and tested.

Script, batch file, installation instructions and doc are in the attached zip file. As noted in the installation instructions, kmttg V1p0s or later is required to effectively use this as the custom command.

It can also be run standalone on a single file or to process a folder & its sub-folders.
Attached Files
File Type: zip addEpNumToTitle.zip (2.9 KB, 6 views)

Old 05-03-2014, 06:45 AM   #6738
ehagberg

auto transfers and folders used

I'd been running some kmttg conversions after switching some of the folders around to use locally-attached devices for most of the download/conversion processing, then dropping the final cut programs onto a shared-via-network disk... this worked nicely for transfers/conversions done via the kmttg gui.

However, when I checked to see why some auto-transfers hadn't happened, I saw that the processing there had decided that it couldn't do the transfer because the disk didn't have enough space left - because it was going to use the directory where kmttg had been installed rather than any of the configured destinations. Switching my config so that all output directories were the same again allowed auto transfers to work... but shouldn't they be using the same output config as the gui?
Old 05-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #6739
moyekj

The only time kmttg will revert back to the kmttg installation dir is if it determines the output dir doesn't exist or is not available. Note that in Windows service mode access to network folders can be very restricted which I would guess is what is happening. You can't use volume names mapped to network shares and should use UNC (\\server\path) notation instead of a volume. Also you have to make sure you are running service using your login account, not the default service account.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #6740
epstewart

Would like help with VideoRedo output profiles

I used kmttg to transfer a program to my Mac that has (says VideoRedo, which I run under Windows XP, running in Parallels Desktop) 704x480 (interlaced) resolution. It came from a Verizon FiOS standard-def channel. But it's letterboxed, with black bars at top and bottom. It was originally shown in HD, with a 16x9 aspect ratio.

I want to, while in VideoRedo, (a) do a Quick Stream fix; (b) trim off unwanted material at beginning and end; and (c) convert it to an MPEG-4 container for play by iTunes/my iPad/my iPhone/my Apple TVs. For the latter I want to deinterlace the video to get rid of the "jaggies" that would otherwise appear.

I'm confused by all the output profiles in VRD. I tried iPad / iPhone 4G "as is" and got video that looked pretty good but was stretched horizontally. Clicking the Options button beforehand showed:

Resolution: 1280x720
Aspect ratio: 16x9
Aspect correction: None

I changed that on the next try to:

Resolution: 704x480
Aspect ratio: No change
Aspect correction: None

I got (looking at the output in QuickTime Player) a fine-looking, albeit smaller, picture with no jaggies (thanks to Deinterlace mode: Smart); no horizontal stretching; and black bars above and below.

Now I'd like to see if I can get rid of the black bars without going back to having horizontal (or vertical) stretching. But with Aspect ratio: No change, I'm not permitted to fiddle with Aspect correction: None.

I can change to Aspect ratio: Match Resolution and try Aspect correction: Crop to fit. Or I can change to Aspect ratio:16:9 and likewise use Aspect correction: Crop to fit. I imagine one (or both?) choices might give me what I want, with proper image geometry and no black bars. But VRD transcoding takes a while to do each time, and I have limited patience with further experiments.

So can someone just tell me how to get the results I want?

Also, can anyone tell me how to predict how the interaction of the various settings of Resolution, Aspect ratio, and Aspect correction would actually turn out?

Thanks in advance ...
Old 05-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #6741
moyekj

Eric, best place for asking for VideoRedo help is VRD forums:
http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/fo...VideoReDo-Plus

Old 05-05-2014, 12:17 PM   #6742
epstewart

Quote:
Eric, best place for asking for VideoRedo help is VRD forums:
http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/fo...VideoReDo-Plus
OK, Kevin, thanks. I'll post my question there.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #6743
spammsmcghee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALbino View Post
Last night I set a bunch of programs to download and encode and this morning I have this repeated in red a few times in the log:

Code:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
	at java.awt.image.DataBufferInt.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.image.Raster.createPackedRaster(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.image.DirectColorModel.createCompatibleWritableRaster(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.GraphicsConfiguration.createCompatibleImage(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.GraphicsConfiguration.createCompatibleImage(Unknown Source)
	at sun.awt.image.SunVolatileImage.getBackupImage(Unknown Source)
	at sun.awt.image.VolatileSurfaceManager.getBackupSurface(Unknown Source)
	at sun.awt.image.VolatileSurfaceManager.displayChanged(Unknown Source)
	at sun.awt.SunDisplayChanger.notifyListeners(Unknown Source)
	at sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment.displayChanged(Unknown Source)
	at sun.awt.windows.WToolkit$3.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Not a big deal, but thought I'd mention it.
Quote:
If you keep running into that and it's actually preventing things from running/working you may consider increasing initial and max heap space available to Java when starting kmttg. (Java folks decided they would impose their own default memory limits instead of using OS defaults).

Specifically the relevant java options are:
java -Xms<initial heap size> -Xmx<maximum heap size>
By default the values are 32m & 128m respectively. So for example to change that you could run kmttg as:
java -Xms256m -Xmx1028m -jar kmttg.jar

I am getting this Java heap space error when Auto Transfers runs. Where do I go on my computer to change these settings? I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks.
spammsmcghee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #6744
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by spammsmcghee View Post
I am getting this Java heap space error when Auto Transfers runs. Where do I go on my computer to change these settings? I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks.
Are you running Auto Transfers as a service or in GUI mode?

Old 05-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #6745
spammsmcghee

Quote:
Are you running Auto Transfers as a service or in GUI mode?
I have it set to Loop in GUI. I've been using KMTTG for years, and never ran into this problem.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:47 PM   #6746
moyekj

Quote:
I have it set to Loop in GUI. I've been using KMTTG for years, and never ran into this problem.
Easiest way is to create a new desktop shortcut with target set to something like:
javaw -Xms256m -Xmx1028m -jar kmttg.jar
and "start in" folder set to:
/folder/where/you/installed/kmttg

Then start kmttg from that shortcut.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #6747
spammsmcghee

Quote:
Easiest way is to create a new desktop shortcut with target set to something like:
javaw -Xms256m -Xmx1028m -jar kmttg.jar
and "start in" folder set to:
/folder/where/you/installed/kmttg

Then start kmttg from that shortcut.
What am I doing wrong? (see attached)....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (45.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #6748
moyekj

Quote:
What am I doing wrong? (see attached)....
Try javaw.exe instead of javaw. If that doesn't work then put in the full path to javaw.exe with double quotes around it, which will be something like:
"c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe"

Old 05-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #6749
spammsmcghee

Quote:
Try javaw.exe instead of javaw. If that doesn't work then put in the full path to javaw.exe with double quotes around it, which will be something like:
"c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe"

No dice....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (47.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #6750
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
No dice....
You could change the "Start in" folder to where Javaw.exe is located, not where KMTTG is located.

~~~~~