TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #601
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I think the 1st issue is the folder from which you are launching kmttg is not the installation folder. If you are using a shortcut make sure the start dir matches the location of the kmttg.pl folder. You should not copy the tivo_beacon.pm file to anywhere else (in case it gets updated in a future release).

The 2nd issue is it looks like firewall is blocking access to port 2190. You need to give firewall permission for perl/wperl to access that port for auto discovery to work.
Probably easiest thing to do at this point if you don't want to deal with firewall issues is to manually add in your Tivos and disable auto discovery in config.
Ok, I will give this a try tonight. I simply created my own shortcut to launch kmttg, so I could have easily screwed up the start folder (it is probably pointing to my desktop).

I don't have Tivo Desktop installed anymore. Is this a new port for kmttg with the additional of the beacon?

Jason
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:25 PM   #602
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
Ok, I will give this a try tonight. I simply created my own shortcut to launch kmttg, so I could have easily screwed up the start folder (it is probably pointing to my desktop).

I don't have Tivo Desktop installed anymore. Is this a new port for kmttg with the additional of the beacon?

Jason
Yes, prior to auto discovery kmttg did not need access to port 2190. The first time I ran it Windows Vista firewall asked for permission to let wperl access it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #603
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
The first time I ran it Windows Vista firewall asked for permission to let wperl access it.
That's odd. I didn't get a notification for that. Wonder if it is because I have UAC disabled?

Jason
Old 04-30-2009, 10:41 PM   #604
txporter
One sec, almost done

I updated my shortcut to have a Start in: path that points to the kmttg folder and that does indeed fix the problem with the launch. Thanks! I have removed the tivo_beacon.pm from the perl64 folder.

I am apparently doing something wrong with the beacon itself though. I am still getting the same error. I opened up port 2190 TCP and called it perl/wperl. I also added wperl.exe to the exception list. It is still not auto detecting my tivos. Does the port need to be UDP?

Jason
Old 05-01-2009, 12:03 AM   #605
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post

I am apparently doing something wrong with the beacon itself though. I am still getting the same error. I opened up port 2190 TCP and called it perl/wperl. I also added wperl.exe to the exception list. It is still not auto detecting my tivos. Does the port need to be UDP?

Jason
Yes it's UDP that is monitored not TCP. If that still doesn't work just add the tivos manually and save them to config file - that's recommended even if they are auto detected anyway since auto-detecting can take several seconds. I added auto detection mostly to try and make it easier for first time users. Could be that it's not binding to the proper IP address of your computer or something like that.

Last edited by moyekj : 05-01-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:22 AM   #606
AudioNutz

Could you possibly explain this "tivo_beacon.pm" file a bit? I had a similar issue, kmttg wouldn't launch, and the error message said something that led me to believe this file was needed in my Perl folder, so I put it there. This caused kmttg to be able to launch, but I really don't understand the way this is intended to work.

Since I'm not using shortcuts, I cannot do the "Start in:" stuff listed above.

How is this supposed to be used, where is it supposed to be installed?
Old 05-01-2009, 02:36 AM   #607
moyekj

I'm going to change it in upcoming release such that tivo_beacon file inclusion does not depend on where you launch kmttg from.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:06 AM   #608
Nutka

Hi Kevin,
I'm currently using your program to cut out the commercials. I wish I could do something opposite-cut out the shows and end up only with commercials. Can you give me some advise how to do it. Thank you,
Nutka
Nutka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:32 PM   #609
moyekj

New version posted to eliminate dependance on tivo_beacon.pm file

To make things easier documentation is all online now, including release notes:
http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/wiki/release_notes

Old 05-04-2009, 07:23 AM   #610
rjh

Problem using VideoReDo to cut adds

There is an issue with kmttg when using VideoReDo to cut adds. The comskip process creates a .edl file but the adcut process expects a .VPrj and dies because it isn't found.

The following is a patch for v0.5n which I've tested and seems to work fine:

Code:
$ diff kmttg.pl kmttg.pl.dist
958,964c958
<          if ($VRD && -f "$VRD\\vp.vbs") {
<             my $vprjFile = $edlFile;
<             $vprjFile =~ s/\.edl$/.VPrj/;
<             &comskip('FILE', $mpegFile, $vprjFile, $familyId);
<          } else {
<             &comskip('FILE', $mpegFile, $edlFile, $familyId);
<          }
---
>          &comskip($$entry_ptr{tivoName}, $mpegFile, $edlFile, $familyId);
3800,3803d3793
<    if ($VRD && -f "$VRD\\vp.vbs")
<    {
<       $args = "--videoredo ".$args;
<    }

Let me know if you've got any issues or questions.

Last edited by rjh : 05-04-2009 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Added code box around diff to make clearer.
rjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #611
moyekj

rjh, actually as documented if you are using videoredo then the intent is to configure comskip to output a .VPrj file (as well as .edl file):
Quote:
NOTE: If you have VRD enabled then you should edit comskip.ini file and set:
output_videoredo=1

* By doing so the comskip step will create a .VPrj file which contains the cut sections for VideoRedo to be used in the comcut stage.
Though it's interesting that apparently you got VRD working with .edl file?

Old 05-04-2009, 07:34 PM   #612
rjh

Quote:
Though it's interesting that apparently you got VRD working with .edl file?
moyekj,

Thanks, I missed that in the documentation.

The code change doesn't actually get VRD to work with an edl file. It checks inside kmttg.pl to see if you are going to use VRD for cutting commercials and if it does adds "--videoredo " to the parameters to comskip and changes the output file name to xxx.VPrj instead of xxx.edl.

This saves having to modify the comskip.ini if you configure VRD. It does mean there is no way to create an edl file if you have VRD configured and wanted to create an edl file and not do a comcut for some reason.

I also found to get VRD to do the cutting when running auto transfers I had to modify the log on of the service to have the "Allow service to interact with desktop" checked (running Windows XP). When I did that VRD ran fine but a perl command window appeared so I changed the service parameters to run wperl.exe instead of perl.exe and all worked fine. I've only tried it with a user logged, I'm not sure if it would work if the service was running but there was no user logged on.
rjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #613
krar4

Need help with installation

All,

I found this thread this morning, and it's exactly what I've been looking for. I was so interested that I actually read all 21 pages of the thread to make sure I was up to speed. I then went through the download and install process as shown in the Windows Installation instructions, and I can't get it to work. I even used the same subdirectories as shown in the example, but to no avail.

It looked like there was a minor error in the instructions. They said:

In Step 3: unpack kmttg to c:\home, and unpack kmttg win32 tools to c:\home\kmttg. I did that.

In Step 4: it shows the example of kmttg being installed under c:\home. When creating the shortcut, the command is: "c:Perl\bin\wperl.exe c:\home\kmttg\kmttg.pl".

The kmttg.pl file isn't in the c:\home\kmttg subdirectory. It's in the c:\home subdirectory. The tools are in the c:\home\kmttg subdirectory, per the directions in Step 3. Am I missing something?

Regardless, I tried the setup with that command both ways, and nothing happens. Can someone walk this noobie through the process? It all looks so simple, and this is exactly the functionality I am looking for.

I'm using the v0p5m install and the v0p5m tools download on a WinXP 32-bit machine. I installed Perl 5.8.9.825.

Thanks in advance!
Rick

Last edited by krar4 : 05-04-2009 at 10:26 PM.
krar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:09 AM   #614
fixxit

Quote:
Originally Posted by krar4 View Post
All,

I found this thread this morning, and it's exactly what I've been looking for. I was so interested that I actually read all 21 pages of the thread to make sure I was up to speed. I then went through the download and install process as shown in the Windows Installation instructions, and I can't get it to work. I even used the same subdirectories as shown in the example, but to no avail.

It looked like there was a minor error in the instructions. They said:

In Step 3: unpack kmttg to c:\home, and unpack kmttg win32 tools to c:\home\kmttg. I did that.

In Step 4: it shows the example of kmttg being installed under c:\home. When creating the shortcut, the command is: "c:Perl\bin\wperl.exe c:\home\kmttg\kmttg.pl".

The kmttg.pl file isn't in the c:\home\kmttg subdirectory. It's in the c:\home subdirectory. The tools are in the c:\home\kmttg subdirectory, per the directions in Step 3. Am I missing something?

Regardless, I tried the setup with that command both ways, and nothing happens. Can someone walk this noobie through the process? It all looks so simple, and this is exactly the functionality I am looking for.

I'm using the v0p5m install and the v0p5m tools download on a WinXP 32-bit machine. I installed Perl 5.8.9.825.

Thanks in advance!
Rick
Rick,

It looks like the problem is that you unpacked the contents of the kmttg directory into home rather than the directory itself. You want to copy the kmttg folder to c:\home and then inside c:\home\kmttg you should unpack the tools. So you should have a bunch of directories and files like this:

c:\home\kmttg\ (a directory)
c:\home\kmttg\kmttg.pl (the main perl script)
c:\home\kmttg\encode\ (the directory where the encoding profiles live)
c:\home\kmttg\tivodecode\ (the directory where tivodecode lives)
[etc]

Also your shortcut is missing a backslash. You have:

"c:Perl\bin\wperl.exe c:\home\kmttg\kmttg.pl"

when it should be

"c:\Perl\bin\wperl.exe c:\home\kmttg\kmttg.pl".

See if that fixes it.
fixxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:38 AM   #615
krar4

Fixit,

Your assistance did indeed Fixit. I appreciate your assistance.

I had the opportunity to try KMTTG out this morning, and it was a little hit and miss for me. I have 2 personal video players I'm trying to convert for. The easy one is the Archos 5 Internet Media Tablet. The software was fantastic for that player, in large part because that player has a wide variety of video formats it can play. The Mpeg4 format loads without any difficulty.

The 2nd player I'm trying to convert video for is my mother's Creative Zen. I'm not at my PC at the moment, so I don't remember the exact name of the conversion format on kmttg, but I used the one that shows it's for the Creative Zen. It's about halfway down the list of available choices. Once that conversion completed in kmttg, I tried to load it into the Zen player, but it said that the format needed to be converted by the Zen software because the video file was too high quality to be played by the Zen. That's not the exact phrase, but that's the idea, so the only way I can load the video file into the Zen is if I run it through Creative's very slow conversion process after kmttg is done with it.

Does anybody have experience with kmttg and the Creative Zen (Not the Zen-W)? It would be a huge help to me if I can skip the additional conversion process by Creative's software.

Did I say this was great software? It is! Thanks for making it available!

As always, thanks in advance.

Rick

Last edited by krar4 : 05-05-2009 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Added more information
Old 05-05-2009, 10:15 AM   #616
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Fixit,

I had the opportunity to try KMTTG out this morning, and it was a little hit and miss for me. I have 2 personal video players I'm trying to convert for. The easy one is the Archos 5 Internet Media Tablet. The software was fantastic for that player, in large part because that player has a wide variety of video formats it can play. The Mpeg4 format loads without any difficulty.

The 2nd player I'm trying to convert video for is my mother's Creative Zen. I'm not at my PC at the moment, so I don't remember the exact name of the conversion format on kmttg, but I used the one that shows it's for the Creative Zen. It's about halfway down the list of available choices. Once that conversion completed in kmttg, I tried to load it into the Zen player, but it said that the format needed to be converted by the Zen software because the video file was too high quality to be played by the Zen. That's not the exact phrase, but that's the idea, so the only way I can load the video file into the Zen is if I run it through Creative's very slow conversion process after kmttg is done with it.

Does anybody have experience with kmttg and the Creative Zen (Not the Zen-W)? It would be a huge help to me if I can skip the additional conversion process by Creative's software.

Rick
I have a Creative Zen, but I actually haven't used it for video in a long time. Looking at Kevin's encoding profile for the Zen (not sure what it is called when viewing from within kmttg, but the profile is ff_zen), it looks like it transcodes the video to 320x240 XVID AVI @ 800kbps. If you look at the Creative Zen specs page, it really only plays .wmv files, so anything that is not windows media will be converted again. You might be better off simply downloading the shows, decrypting them, cutting the commercials and then letting the Zen software transcode the video for you.

Jason
Old 05-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #617
moyekj

Quote:
Fixit,

Rick
It's just a question of finding right encoding recipe that works. Most of the device specific encoding profiles I created based on Google search and I cannot test on the devices (since I don't have most of them). It's easy enough to create your own recipes as well. So the challenge is to find a recipe for ffmpeg or handbrake that works for your Zen. Shouldn't be too hard. Once it is found it's easy to add them to kmttg. I can work with you if you wish. First thing to do is create a short test mpeg2 source clip that you can use as a starting point for testing encodings quickly.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:31 AM   #618
txporter
One sec, almost done

moyekj- Been meaning to ask about encoding 1080i video to mp4 in kmttg. What does ffmpeg do about the interlacing? Does it construct a 29.97fps progressive frame instead of leaving it at 59.94fps interlaced? I have done some 720p encodes to mp4 and those are straightforward to do with XVID4PSP while burning in the captions since they are already progressive, however, I haven't played with any 1080i encodes yet and was wondering how you handle them in kmttg. Do HD Tivos handle interlaced mp4 files?

Jason
Old 05-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #619
krar4

Quote:
It's just a question of finding right encoding recipe that works. Most of the device specific encoding profiles I created based on Google search and I cannot test on the devices (since I don't have most of them). It's easy enough to create your own recipes as well. So the challenge is to find a recipe for ffmpeg or handbrake that works for your Zen. Shouldn't be too hard. Once it is found it's easy to add them to kmttg. I can work with you if you wish. First thing to do is create a short test mpeg2 source clip that you can use as a starting point for testing encodings quickly.
I would definitely appreciate any help. The conversion process for the Zen is incredibly slow, and there is no way currently to make it part of a 1-step process. kmttg is by far the best possibility.

I'm not sure how to try different recipes, but I'll create a short mpeg2 source clip tonight.

Thanks!
Rick
Old 05-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #620
fixxit

Rick,

I'm glad to help.

As for the different encodings I would do as Kevin suggested and record a 3-5 minute video and transcode that into each of the formats and try them on your Zen. I have a Blackberry Bold and found that the ff_zen encoding works scheme the best and is very fast, even running in a VM. (ff tends to be much faster than hb, by the way).

One suggestion that should save you a significant amount of time is to have kmttg keep the .tivo, .mpg and other temporary files between runs. Once a run is finished rename the final output file and run a different encoder. Keeping the intermediary files around saves the time of downloading, decoding and comstripping the show again. I was able to test most of the combinations in about a day.

Tweaking the encoding schemes is pretty easy if you need to. I set mine to boost the volume upon reencoding to make them easier to hear while I'm on the noisy subway, for example. Post here and someone can give you a hand.

-Jason
Old 05-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #621
moyekj

Rick, you may want to try the "ff_zune" profile which creates a Microsoft wmv file. Perhaps that will work on your Zen. Then if necessary you can use it as a starting point and tweak it to suit your needs.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:57 PM   #622
krar4

KJ & Jason,

My Zen-encoding homework awaits. I appreciate all the input. I'll begin trying these ideas tonight, and I'll report back once I have any useful information.

Thanks!
Rick
Old 05-05-2009, 05:08 PM   #623
krar4

KJ & Jason,

I completed my homework, and it wasn't pretty... I downloaded a 3 minute clip from my TiVo earlier today using Kmttg. I kept the original .tivo file and decrypted it for each of the listed encoding profiles. For each one, the Zen conversion software said, "Must convert. The video file format is not supported or exceeds playback capability of the player." I then deleted the output file, ran the decrypter for the next profile, and got the same message.

I searched Google for Zen encoding parameters. There was a related discussion on www.AnythingButIpod.com. How do I tweak the given profiles on kmttg? I don't see how to do that, but I'd like to try some of the parameters they said that worked.

Here are 2 different sets of notes from that forum:

============================================
I use Super (available at no charge) to encode videos for my Zen 16 GB with the following settings and have had excellent results:

output container: avi
output video codec: DivX
output audio codec: mp3
ffmpeg encoder
check the DirectShow Decode checkbox
Video:
Video scale: 320x240
Frames per second: 29.97
Bitrate: 1008 (have used much higher bit rates but results in larger file size and not needed)
Options:
- check Hi Quality
- I usually use crop pad to crop to 1.33 to 1 ratio when encoding widescreen video to fill Zen screen without distortion
Audio:
Sampling Freq: 44100
Channels: 2
Bitrate: 192 kbps

Some of these settings can be tweaked down to reduce file size.

============================================

I think I've got video on the Zen figured out. Once you're sure that all parameters match Zen's capabilities......

Resolution - 320x240
Framerate - 30 fps max
Audio Bitrate - 320 kbps max
Video Bitrate - 1.0 Mbps max
Global Motion Compensation set to NO or 0
Quarter Pixel Motion Compensation set to NO or 0

......then the final thing to absolutely make sure of, because this is key, is that the resulting file is AVI 1.0! I encoded two AVIs with the exact same specs from the list above. The only difference between the two was that one was AVI 1.0 and the other was AVI 2.0.

==============================================

Thanks,
Rick
Old 05-05-2009, 06:43 PM   #624
krar4

ZEN ENCODING UPDATE:

The "Super" profile in my last post was successful, so it shows what parameters should work. The big difference with Super and trying to complete this all with kmttg is that kmttg has the ability to do everything in one step. I've tried figuring out how to edit the encoding profiles, but I'm not seeing it. I checked the menus within kmttg, and I also tried looking in the subdirectory for an editor of some sort, but I didn't see it.

Please advise asap. I feel like I'm very close to success.

Thanks again for all the help!
Rick
Old 05-05-2009, 07:11 PM   #625
moyekj

Rick the documentation under ENCODING section explains how to make your own encoding profiles. Basically you start with a copy of an existing .enc file under encode folder, give it some name of your own and edit the file accordingly. Then next time you start kmttg the name you choose shows up as a choice for encoding profile.

Based on what you've posted so far the existing ff_zen profile seems close as it's xvid video + 2 channel mp3 audio. May just need some slight tweaking to get it to work.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:33 PM   #626
krar4

KJ,

I opened the Zen.enc file with MS Word and I can't make sense of most of what's in there, so I don't know what to change. For example, where do I enter the Frame Rate? The contents of that .enc file are:

==========================
# Description (single line, keep short)
<description>
Creative Zen: avi container, 320x240 xvid video, mp3 audio

# Encode command or script (single line)
# Known keywords: FFMPEG, HANDBRAKE, MENCODER, PERL, INPUT, OUTPUT, PWD
<command>
FFMPEG -y -i INPUT -vcodec libxvid -acodec libmp3lame -b 800k -ac 2 -s 320x240 -f avi OUTPUT

# Encoded output file extension
<extension>
avi
===========================

Based on what worked in the Super profile, can you update this (in red?) for what I need to change on my new version of the ff_Zen.enc file?

Also - I made 1 minor change (changed libxvid to DivX) and saved it as "ff_newzen.enc", but the profile wasn't available within the program, even after I refreshed the profiles and quit and restarted kmttg. I even changed the profile back to how it originally read but left the new filename, but it still wasn't available within the profile list. Once I know how to change the file, what else do I need to do to make the updated profile available within the program?

Finally - It was mentioned that you could increase the volume as part of the conversion process. How is that accomplished?

I appreciate your assistance.
Best,
Rick

Last edited by krar4 : 05-05-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:46 PM   #627
AudioNutz

Quote:
...Basically you start with a copy of an existing .enc file under encode folder, give it some name of your own and edit the file accordingly...
When you name the .enc file, be sure it doesn't contain any spaces, and doesn't contain any capital letters.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:57 PM   #628
moyekj

Rick there are a zillion options to ffmpeg, many of them documented here. There's no such thing as "DivX" for ffmpeg. I can probably help you find the options needed, but need a better idea of what changes are needed. If you run mediainfo on the clip you generated with "super" you can get detailed info on the file - post that information here.
(or better yet upload the clip somewhere where I can get it).

Also don't use MS Word to open/edit .enc files as you need to keep them as plain ascii files (likely MS Word will save as a Word document and screws things up). I use Notepad++ editor but perhaps even Notepad will work.

Last edited by moyekj : 05-06-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:09 AM   #629
fixxit

Quote:
Rick there are a zillion options to ffmpeg, many of them documented (URL deleted) . There's no such thing as "DivX" for ffmpeg. I can probably help you find the options needed, but need a better idea of what changes are needed. If you run (URL deleted) on the clip you generated with "super" you can get detailed info on the file - post that information here.

Also don't use MS Word to open/edit .enc files as you need to keep them as plain ascii files (likely MS Word will save as a Word document and screws things up). I use Notepad++ editor but perhaps even Notepad will work.
Wordpad works nicely too. Of course the old skool g33ks (like me) have a warm place in their hearts for vim, but it's not for the faint of heart.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:01 AM   #630
spocko
TiVo HD

Quote:
I use Notepad++ editor
Thanks for the tip, this is a nice editor. I may retire TextPad.

Be careful with Wordpad since since it can save in formats other than ASCII text. If you save as RTF for example, it won't work. Notepad should work just fine for these simple .enc files.
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote