TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-21-2009, 10:01 AM   #571
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharkowski View Post
This may be a question that's already been answered, but I've done some searches and haven't been able to find it...

Is there any way to get the encoder to include the metadata in the file for itunes compatibility, the way that Tivo Desktop does it? I much prefer the quality available with KMTTG, but I do miss having TV shows show up in iTunes with the show name, season number, description, etc. As it is now, they show up as movies.

I have been using the Handbrake encoder so far, though I'm testing with the ffmpeg encoder as I type this to see if it's any different in this regard.

Any ideas?
Tivo Desktop is probably adding metadata information to the mp4 files. There are tools out there to do that but I don't think ffmpeg can do it. I know Handbrake adds encoding information into mp4 files so may be possible though not sure - would have to look into it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:18 AM   #572
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Tivo Desktop is probably adding metadata information to the mp4 files. There are tools out there to do that but I don't think ffmpeg can do it.
ffmpeg added some support for this recently, but I haven't looked into it. I only know because it broke the old "-comment" functionality.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #573
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
ffmpeg added some support for this recently, but I haven't looked into it. I only know because it broke the old "-comment" functionality.
Afaik (at least on the mac) iTunes completely ignores the mov metadata atoms that determine if a show is a TV show, and who is in it etc. (On the mac we usually add those with MetaX). (sort of like the ID3 tags of MP3 files)

For video, iTunes instead keeps its OWN metadata information outside of the file in some internal database. For iTiVo I had to make a bunch of applescript calls to modify the file's metadata in itunes AFTER it is added to the library. I'm sure there's an analogous method on windows but dont know what it is.

Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #574
AudioNutz

On the Mac, I've seen tools that do this before the file gets transferred to iTunes. I never really cared about the metaData getting into my iPod, but now that mcharkowski brought the subject up, I'm thinking of making a Folder Action (on Mac) to make a call to "AtomicParsley", to put this metaData back into the mp4 file.

I'm told that there are ports for AtomicParsley for Windows.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #575
ACraigL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
On the Mac, I've seen tools that do this before the file gets transferred to iTunes. I never really cared about the metaData getting into my iPod, but now that mcharkowski brought the subject up, I'm thinking of making a Folder Action (on Mac) to make a call to "AtomicParsley", to put this metaData back into the mp4 file.

I'm told that there are ports for AtomicParsley for Windows.
I use atomic parsley in conjunction with dvrmsToolbox to convert programs (and strip commercials) to inject proper meta data into the resulting files. There's only a few good sites documenting this, (onlydarksets for one), so a google search should not be that hard.

I love the meta data, not only for organization, but I keep lots of recorded movie files there, and it makes it easier to pick what I want to watch if I have the description. Multiple episodes of TV shows for the same reason.
  • Linksys WRT600N Router
  • Harmony H550
ACraigL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:25 PM   #576
AudioNutz

For those of you running KMTTG on Macintosh, I've thrown together a Folder Action Script that will watch your "Encode Output Dir", and do the following:
  1. Wait until the mp4 file is done encoding.
  2. Read the MetaData that KMTTG put into the folder.
  3. Apply the MetaData to the mp4 file, using Atomic Parsley.

This MetaData is helpful for iTunes to organize your TV Shows and Movies that get brought into your iPod, or other iTunes fed device. I'm willing to share this Folder Action Script, so send a PM if you would like a copy.

Kevin,
I don't know the Perl language, so I can't add this your KMTTG code, but it makes sense that's where it belongs. I've written this in AppleScript, (Just like English) so if you'd like to use this as a "Head Start" for a KMTTG feature, I'm sure it would be easy for a guy like you to translate it into Perl. (I'd take a crack, but I'm a Mac guy, and these other languages are a bit alien to me)
Old 04-23-2009, 12:07 AM   #577
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
For those of you running KMTTG on Macintosh, I've thrown together a Folder Action Script that will watch your "Encode Output Dir", and do the following:
  1. Wait until the mp4 file is done encoding.
  2. Read the MetaData that KMTTG put into the folder.
  3. Apply the MetaData to the mp4 file, using Atomic Parsley.

This MetaData is helpful for iTunes to organize your TV Shows and Movies that get brought into your iPod, or other iTunes fed device. I'm willing to share this Folder Action Script, so send a PM if you would like a copy.

Kevin,
I don't know the Perl language, so I can't add this your KMTTG code, but it makes sense that's where it belongs. I've written this in AppleScript, (Just like English) so if you'd like to use this as a "Head Start" for a KMTTG feature, I'm sure it would be easy for a guy like you to translate it into Perl. (I'd take a crack, but I'm a Mac guy, and these other languages are a bit alien to me)
If you're willing to share it I can take a crack at a Perl + Atomic Parsley version to integrate into kmttg. P.M. or attachment here will work or email me if you wish. Thanks.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:54 AM   #578
mcharkowski

This functionality would be great. iTunes definitely reads the atoms for TV shows because we see it honor the ones that TiVo Desktop writes. Atomic Parsley, the command line program that AudioNutz is using, does have a Windows port (just google for Atomic Parsley, they have a sourceforge site). You can write any of the standard meta tags with it, even cover art. There's a great GUI called MetaX that was mentioned earlier, and it has been ported to Windows also. It's basically a GUI to find all the meta information from Amazon/IMDB, but it uses Atomic Parsley to do the metadata tagging. It's a great program, but having this kind of functionality "automatized" in KMTTG would make it even slicker than the incredible slickness that it already is.
mcharkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:36 PM   #579
moyekj

New version posted

------------------
v0.5l (04/26/2009)
------------------
ENHANCEMENTS
* Added automatic Tivo detection which will automatically detect any Tivos
on the LAN not already included in TIVOS list. Added option to disable
that capability if desired. NOTE: This adds an extra file called
tivo_beacon.pm to the installation set.

* Added AtomicParsley configuration option. If AtomicParsley executable is
defined in the configuration then kmttg will automatically add some meta
data to mp4 files following the encoding step.
NOTE: You also have to have pyTivo metadata defined/available since kmttg
looks for information from file.mp4.txt file for AtomicParsley run.
An AtomicParsley windows executable is now included as part of the win32
zip package.

* Added newer versions of ffmpeg and comskip to win32 zip package.

* Changed -me to -me_method in ffmpeg profiles to make it compatible with
newer versions of ffmpeg. That argument is also backwards compatible.

* Added hb_tivo_sd & hb_tivo_hd encoding profiles. Handbrake encoding profiles that work pretty well for encoding H.264 video + AC3 audio for native Tivo playback. Only difference between them is higher bitrate for hd version.

* Added ffmpeg ff_tivo_sd & ff_tivo_hd profiles roughly equivalent to the above handbrake recipes, but ffmpeg is generally quite a bit faster than handbrake.

P.S. I don't have/use iTunes therefore didn't really have a good way to test if proper information is added to mp4 files using AtomicParsley. For those that have iTunes and requested this feature please give feedback.

Last edited by moyekj : 04-26-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #580
AudioNutz

Yay!

Bravo on the new Atomic Parsley integration!

I'll admit that I have mixed feelings, since this new feature will require me to re-write the (Mac) folder action that I currently have running. Right now, one of my folder actions moves the MetaData file to the ".mpg Cut dir". (It does a bunch of other stuff too)

I'll have to build some sort of delay into that process, to be sure that the MetaData file remains in the "Encode Dir" until the Atomic Parsley process is finished with the MetaData, etc...

If I could choose where the MetaData was being written, like I can choose where every other file is being written by KMTTG, then it would solve this.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:12 PM   #581
moyekj

FYI I goofed with a typo in v05pl release such that batch & auto modes won't work (GUI mode is OK). I'll release a fixed version tonight. (It's a very simple 1 character change needed on line 158 of kmttg.pl).

Old 04-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #582
moyekj

OK, v0p5m version posted with the fix. Sorry for the goof.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #583
fyodor

Hi,

I've noticed that when transcoding with handbrake I get almost no utilization of the second core of my dual core pentium.

Isn't handbrake supposed to figure out the number of cores dynamically? Is there a way to force it to use the second core? Is this a general handbrake parameter, or a library-specific parameter?

Thanks,
F
fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:40 PM   #584
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyodor View Post
Hi,

I've noticed that when transcoding with handbrake I get almost no utilization of the second core of my dual core pentium.

Isn't handbrake supposed to figure out the number of cores dynamically? Is there a way to force it to use the second core? Is this a general handbrake parameter, or a library-specific parameter?

Thanks,
F
It's supposed to autodetect by default, but you can use -C # (or --cpu #) to set a specific number according to the wiki page:
http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CLIGuide
For ffmpeg there is a -threads option.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:31 PM   #585
fyodor

Thanks!
Quote:
It's supposed to autodetect by default, but you can use -C # (or --cpu #) to set a specific number according to the wiki page:
http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CLIGuide
For ffmpeg there is a -threads option.

fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #586
jeepguy_1980
Unregistered User

I am getting the following error when I click on my TiVo in the drop down:

Code:
>> Getting Now Playing List from LOOPTRONIX ...
"C:\kmttg\curl\curl.exe" --retry 3 --anyauth --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar "C:\Users\Lassen\AppData\Local\Temp\cookies6716" --url "https://192.168.1.100/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2FNowPlaying&Recurse=Yes" --output "C:\Users\Lassen\AppData\Local\Temp\nplFile6716_11"
*ERROR* 
Can't execute "C:\kmttg\curl\curl.exe" --retry 3 --anyauth --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar "C:\Users\Lassen\AppData\Local\Temp\cookies6716" --url "https://192.168.1.100/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2FNowPlaying&Recurse=Yes" --output 
"C:\Users\Lassen\AppData\Local\Temp\nplFile6716_11" > "C:\Users\Lassen\AppData\Local\Temp\stdout6716_12" 2> "C:\Users\Lassen\AppData\Local\Temp\stderr6716_12"
I have read all of the posts related to this error and nothing seems to have helped.

Here is my config.ini file, with my mak edited out:

Code:
# kmttg config.ini file
<MAK>
##########

<TIVOS>
DESKTOP              192.168.1.3         
LOOPTRONIX           192.168.1.100       
FILES                C:\Users\Lassen\Videos\Tivo

<RemoveTivoFile>

<RemoveComcutFiles>

<RemoveMpegFile>

<CreateSubFolder>

<tivoFileNameFormat>
[mainTitle]

<outputDir>
C:\Users\Lassen\Videos\Tivo

<mpegDir>

<mpegCutDir>

<encodeDir>

<tivodecode>
C:\kmttg\tivodecode\tivodecode.exe

<curl>
C:\kmttg\curl\curl.exe

<ffmpeg>
C:\kmttg\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe

<mencoder>
C:\kmttg\mencoder\mencoder.exe

<handbrake>
C:\kmttg\handbrake\HandBrakeCLI.exe

<comskip>
C:\kmttg\comskip\comskip.exe

<comskipIni>
C:\kmttg\comskip\comskip.ini

<wan_http_port>

<cache_time>

<MaxJobs>

<VRD>

<AtomicParsley>
C:\kmttg\AtomicParsley\AtomicParsley.exe

<t2extract>

<CheckDiskSpace>

<LowSpaceSize>

<CheckBeacon>

TiVo Mini

jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:28 AM   #587
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
I am getting the following error when I click on my TiVo in the drop down:

Code:
>> Getting Now Playing List from LOOPTRONIX ...
"C:\kmttg\curl\curl.exe" --retry 3 --anyauth --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar "C:\Users\Lassen\AppData\Local\Temp\cookies6716" --url "https://192.168.1.100/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2FNowPlaying&Recurse=Yes" --output "C:\Users\Lassen\AppData\Local\Temp\nplFile6716_11"
*ERROR* 
Can't execute "C:\kmttg\curl\curl.exe" --retry 3 --anyauth --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar "C:\Users\Lassen\AppData\Local\Temp\cookies6716" --url "https://192.168.1.100/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2FNowPlaying&Recurse=Yes" --output 
"C:\Users\Lassen\AppData\Local\Temp\nplFile6716_11" > "C:\Users\Lassen\AppData\Local\Temp\stdout6716_12" 2> "C:\Users\Lassen\AppData\Local\Temp\stderr6716_12"
Looks like the problem possibly is that C:\kmttg\curl\curl.exe doesn't exist. Note that I just noticed I messed up the kmttg_win32_tools_v0p5m.zip packaging a little in the latest release by putting the tools one extra folder deep (boy I'm on a bad streak lately). I just fixed that right now to be like previous releases. So if you see a folder named c:\kmttg\kmttg_win32_tools_v0p5l then move all the sub-folders under it up 1 level and delete that folder and you should be good to go.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #588
jeepguy_1980
Unregistered User

Quote:
Looks like the problem possibly is that C:\kmttg\curl\curl.exe doesn't exist. Note that I just noticed I messed up the kmttg_win32_tools_v0p5m.zip packaging a little in the latest release by putting the tools one extra folder deep (boy I'm on a bad streak lately). I just fixed that right now to be like previous releases. So if you see a folder named c:\kmttg\kmttg_win32_tools_v0p5l then move all the sub-folders under it up 1 level and delete that folder and you should be good to go.
Originally that was my mistake, but I had fixed that before I posted my problem.
TiVo Mini

Old 04-29-2009, 07:33 PM   #589
moyekj

Quote:
Originally that was my mistake, but I had fixed that before I posted my problem.
Open a "cmd" window and execute the curl command there to see what happens. You can do this easily by creating a run.bat file that looks like below (replace the xxxx with your real MAK number) and then running it by typing "run".
Code:
@echo off
set MAK=xxxx
C:\kmttg\curl\curl.exe --retry 3 --anyauth --user tivo:%MAK% --insecure --cookie-jar cookies --url "https://192.168.1.100/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2FNowPlaying&Recurse=Yes"

Old 04-29-2009, 09:17 PM   #590
jeepguy_1980
Unregistered User

I just got:
Code:
<h2>Resource Not Found</h2>

TiVo Mini

Old 04-29-2009, 10:10 PM   #591
moyekj

Quote:
I just got:
Code:
<h2>Resource Not Found</h2>
So something is really wrong with that Tivo. Try rebooting it.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:12 PM   #592
jeepguy_1980
Unregistered User

I have no problem viewing the now playing list with PyTiVo.
TiVo Mini

Old 04-29-2009, 10:43 PM   #593
moyekj

Quote:
I have no problem viewing the now playing list with PyTiVo.
Don't know if that means much. Try connecting directly via a web browser:
https://192.168.1.100/TiVoConnect?Co...ng&Recurse=Yes
(username = tivo, password = MAK)

That will likely get you the same "Resource not found" response you are getting with curl which means there is something wrong with the Tivo and its web server that a reboot would likely fix.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:48 PM   #594
jeepguy_1980
Unregistered User

Opening it in the web browser loaded a huge xml file with all of my programs on it. I'm assuming that means it worked.
TiVo Mini

Old 04-30-2009, 01:01 AM   #595
moyekj

Quote:
Opening it in the web browser loaded a huge xml file with all of my programs on it. I'm assuming that means it worked.
If that works then the curl command (and kmttg) should work as well as it's doing exact same thing...

Old 04-30-2009, 04:24 AM   #596
bkdtv

moyekj,

Just wanted to thank you for posting the win32 tools needed by kmttg. Most of the original tool links are dead, and so I was unable to use your program after a reformat.

In the future, you might consider adding a [tools] autodownload feature as part of the program, much like streambaby downloads the necessary version of ffmpeg and automatically configures its settings for that program.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #597
jeepguy_1980
Unregistered User

Quote:
If that works then the curl command (and kmttg) should work as well as it's doing exact same thing...
It's not though. Can you think of anything else I should be looking at? FYI: I am running Vista x64, and ActivePerl 5.10.
TiVo Mini

Old 04-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #598
txporter
One sec, almost done

I downloaded the most recent version of kmttg last night. I had been using a version before you added the tivo beacon. I downloaded both kmttg and the 3rd party tools. I extracted kmttg and copied the files over to my kmttg directory (Vista64, I just have it in c:/kmttg). When I tried to launch kmttg, nothing would happen (using wperl c:/kmttg/kmttg.pl). I then extracted the 3rd party tools and copied them in and tried again. Nothing again. I open up a cmd window and tried launching with perl c:/kmttg/kmttg.pl. I get this statement:

Code:
Can't locate tivo_beacon.pm in @INC (@INC contains: c:/Perl64/site/lib c:/Perl64/lib .) at c:\kmttg\kmttg.pl line 28.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at c:\kmttg\kmttg.pl line 28.
Do I need to add my path to something? If I copy tivo_beacon.pm over to the Perl64/lib directory, kmttg will launch for me.

When it did launch, my tivos are not showing up for me in the list (I had stripped them out in the troubleshooting thinking maybe that was why it didn't launch). Do I just need to manually add them back in? I thought I read that they were supposed to auto-detect now.

The text in the cmd window when I did finally launch kmttg this last time was:
Code:
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at c:/Perl64/lib/tivo_beacon.pm line 55.
Can't bind to port : IO: :Socket: :INET:
Is that telling me something about why the tivos aren't being detected?

Jason
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #599
moyekj

Quote:
It's not though. Can you think of anything else I should be looking at? FYI: I am running Vista x64, and ActivePerl 5.10.
I'm stumped. I'm also Vista x64 and ActivePerl 5.10 and it's working for me. Nothing has changed with that curl code in a long time... If you are not already, try running kmttg with administrator privileges. Also check file permissions on the curl folder and curl.exe file and make sure that firewall is allowing curl and perl to run.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #600
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
I downloaded the most recent version of kmttg last night. I had been using a version before you added the tivo beacon. I downloaded both kmttg and the 3rd party tools. I extracted kmttg and copied the files over to my kmttg directory (Vista64, I just have it in c:/kmttg). When I tried to launch kmttg, nothing would happen (using wperl c:/kmttg/kmttg.pl). I then extracted the 3rd party tools and copied them in and tried again. Nothing again. I open up a cmd window and tried launching with perl c:/kmttg/kmttg.pl. I get this statement:

Code:
Can't locate tivo_beacon.pm in @INC (@INC contains: c:/Perl64/site/lib c:/Perl64/lib .) at c:\kmttg\kmttg.pl line 28.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at c:\kmttg\kmttg.pl line 28.
Do I need to add my path to something? If I copy tivo_beacon.pm over to the Perl64/lib directory, kmttg will launch for me.

When it did launch, my tivos are not showing up for me in the list (I had stripped them out in the troubleshooting thinking maybe that was why it didn't launch). Do I just need to manually add them back in? I thought I read that they were supposed to auto-detect now.

The text in the cmd window when I did finally launch kmttg this last time was:
Code:
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at c:/Perl64/lib/tivo_beacon.pm line 55.
Can't bind to port : IO: :Socket: :INET:
Is that telling me something about why the tivos aren't being detected?

Jason
I think the 1st issue is the folder from which you are launching kmttg is not the installation folder. If you are using a shortcut make sure the start dir matches the location of the kmttg.pl folder. You should not copy the tivo_beacon.pm file to anywhere else (in case it gets updated in a future release).

The 2nd issue is it looks like firewall is blocking access to port 2190. You need to give firewall permission for perl/wperl to access that port for auto discovery to work.
Probably easiest thing to do at this point if you don't want to deal with firewall issues is to manually add in your Tivos and disable auto discovery in config.