TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #4951
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlippert View Post
Huh,
So are these signatures in the CPU checked by the kernel?
No, they are checked before the kernel is loaded. The CPU then also checks the signature of the kernel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlippert View Post
That would seem to imply that you can't put the hard drive from one Premiere into a different one and expect it to work.
No, not at all. Even if the kernel does checking of signatures inside the CPU (it's basically the other way around, though), one needn't have a unique kernel to do so. The kernel just would need to have a public key to match a private key in the CPU. The public key could be the same for all kernels.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #4952
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
But still, you can't put the hard drive from one Premiere (or any TiVo, really) into a different one and expect it to work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #4953
ernies101

no TTG Xfer , part 2

I'd been using the system date workaround, for 3 weeks, all OK. Unable to transfer files since Mar 2. I then applied the sid = "abc" fix, same result. I can access The Tivo 'Now Playing, but files won't download. Went to a browser and typed the Tivo S2 IP address and the splsh screen came up promptly. Uninstalled the Tivo desktop (complete) and intaslled the version of kmttg that was posted 3 days ago, turned on Java, same redults, can access 'Now Playing' but no downloads.
Error message shows server busy, The MAK is not displayed curl is used which I thot it was bypassed under JAVA. Any ideas?
ernies101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #4954
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
But still, you can't put the hard drive from one Premiere (or any TiVo, really) into a different one and expect it to work.
Not right off the bat, you have to cure that whole error 51 thing, but eventually...

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #4955
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernies101 View Post
I'd been using the system date workaround, for 3 weeks, all OK. Unable to transfer files since Mar 2. I then applied the sid = "abc" fix, same result. I can access The Tivo 'Now Playing, but files won't download. Went to a browser and typed the Tivo S2 IP address and the splsh screen came up promptly. Uninstalled the Tivo desktop (complete) and intaslled the version of kmttg that was posted 3 days ago, turned on Java, same redults, can access 'Now Playing' but no downloads.
Error message shows server busy, The MAK is not displayed curl is used which I thot it was bypassed under JAVA. Any ideas?
If you're getting "server busy" then you need to reboot your TiVo before anything will work to download.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #4956
ernies101

Reboot

Thank you , moyekj, works well now
My face is red.
20 yrs ago, my wife asked me to get her started in computing. I spent 10 years hammering into her, what I call the 1st law of computing "If it's flaky, or won't work, reboot"
I forgot that lesson.
Thanks again,
Ernie
ernies101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #4957
Soapm

I just upgraded to the 0 version of kmttg and it's not letting me queue more then 2 shows. Could there be something I'm doing wrong? I can highlight 57 shows and hit start but only 2 will queue. Then I can't queue another until one of those are done.

Windows XP system... Is there a log I can provide that will help fix this?
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #4958
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHunter1 View Post
For those of us who prefer transferring shows using TiVoPlayList (rather than KMTTG, pyTiVo, or Desktop), is there any solution other than changing the clock back?
I have released a new version of TiVoPlayList v0.71 which fixes the expired cookie issue. Thanks everyone.
dcahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #4959
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
No, they are checked before the kernel is loaded. The CPU then also checks the signature of the kernel.

No, not at all. Even if the kernel does checking of signatures inside the CPU (it's basically the other way around, though), one needn't have a unique kernel to do so. The kernel just would need to have a public key to match a private key in the CPU. The public key could be the same for all kernels.
I doubt very seriously that either key is "public". I suspect there is a signature generating algorithm and one half of a key pair embedded in the cpu. The cpu generates a signature for each s/w module and then uses its key to decrypt the attached signature, which was generated by the same process and encrypted with the other half of the key pair. The two signatures are then compared and if they don't match, "boom*.

IOW, none of the s/w actually has a "key" in it. BTW, even in the case where there is a true public/private key pair, signatures are encrypted using the sender's private key. That is so that the receiver can verify the source using the sender's public key. Data on the other hand, is encrypted using the receiver's public key so that only the receiver can decrypt it, using his private key.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #4960
wuzznuubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
v0p9o version just released with following changes:
* Option to use mediainfo cli instead of ffmpeg for obtaining video information needed for certain tasks.
* Updated tools in default Windows tools package and added mediainfo cli to the package.
See release_notes
Thanks moyekj, works like a charm. 34 ts downloads so far without a hitch
wuzznuubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:03 AM   #4961
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
I just upgraded to the 0 version of kmttg and it's not letting me queue more then 2 shows. Could there be something I'm doing wrong? I can highlight 57 shows and hit start but only 2 will queue. Then I can't queue another until one of those are done.

Windows XP system... Is there a log I can provide that will help fix this?
Can't reproduce it. I turned off Show Folders and selected 63 shows to download and clicked on START and all queued normally for me as expected.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:38 AM   #4962
Soapm

Quote:
Can't reproduce it. I turned off Show Folders and selected 63 shows to download and clicked on START and all queued normally for me as expected.
I guess I'll delete it tomorrow and do a fresh install. Must be residual from the old. All I do to upgrade is put the .zip file in the folder then extract with WinRAR and let it copy over any existing files. Too bad there isn't an upgrader like on Linux (git pull).
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #4963
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I doubt very seriously that either key is "public". I suspect there is a signature generating algorithm and one half of a key pair embedded in the cpu. The cpu generates a signature for each s/w module and then uses its key to decrypt the attached signature, which was generated by the same process and encrypted with the other half of the key pair. The two signatures are then compared and if they don't match, "boom*.
That sounds about right. The point is, one cannot simply replace the CPU if it fails, and hacking the Premiere is not simply a matter of replacing the PROM and the CPU, and then modifying the kernel.

Quote:
IOW, none of the s/w actually has a "key" in it. BTW, even in the case where there is a true public/private key pair, signatures are encrypted using the sender's private key. That is so that the receiver can verify the source using the sender's public key. Data on the other hand, is encrypted using the receiver's public key so that only the receiver can decrypt it, using his private key.
Again, correct. The bottom line is without the private key, which no one outside TiVo has, the chain of trust on the Premiere is for the moment at least inviolate.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #4964
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
I guess I'll delete it tomorrow and do a fresh install. Must be residual from the old. All I do to upgrade is put the .zip file in the folder then extract with WinRAR and let it copy over any existing files. Too bad there isn't an upgrader like on Linux (git pull).
'Just spit-balling, but do you have the Auto Transfer server enabled? Doing so locks some of the files, including kmttg.tar kmttg.jar.

Last edited by lrhorer : 03-06-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #4965
lpwcomp

Quote:
'Just spit-balling, but do you have the Auto Transfer server enabled? Doing so locks some of the files, including kmttg.tar.
If you're talking about kmttg.jar, I've never had that happen to me. But I'm still running Win2K, so maybe it's different on more "modern" systems. Also, since I have some local mods to kmttg, I have to build the .jar file and copy it from my test directory to my production directory (after testing of course) rather than getting it from the normal download file.

Edit: I do stop and restart the service to ensure that it is using the latest version, but I can do both after replacing the .jar file. I do not have to stop the service first.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #4966
lpwcomp

Quote:
Again, correct. The bottom line is without the private key, which no one outside TiVo has, the chain of trust on the Premiere is for the moment at least inviolate.
And the algorithm. I also think there might be a mechanism for changing both. I know if I were designing such a system, that mechanism would be there if the hardware supported it.

Bottomer* line, a user cannot change the s/w on a Premiere and we have no idea if TiVos s/w deployment process is capable of deploying a single updated module that is part of the base system.

* I know. No such word. So sue me.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #4967
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Bottomer* line, a user cannot change the s/w on a Premiere and we have no idea if TiVos s/w deployment process is capable of deploying a single updated module that is part of the base system.
At least TiVo is now saying they will be updating Premieres soon as well as the S2 and S3 units at some unspecified time in the future. Clearly they believe that they can do it.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #4968
lrhorer

Quote:
If you're talking about kmttg.jar
Pfft! Oh, well, yes. I'm a lousy typist.

Quote:
I've never had that happen to me.
I did. 'Puzzled me for a second. At first, I thought I had downloaded the wrong archive, since the system did not report any errors, yet the reported version was still the old one. Then I noticed the timestamp on kmttg.jar was old, so it dawned on me a file lock might be responsible. I stopped and unloaded the AT server, and the Zip utility correctly wrote over the files.

Quote:
Edit: I do stop and restart the service to ensure that it is using the latest version, but I can do both after replacing the .jar file. I do not have to stop the service first.
Really and truthfully, that should work. I was surprised when it failed, but I definitely confirmed I could not write over the files when the AT server was running.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #4969
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMark View Post
At least TiVo is now saying they will be updating Premieres soon as well as the S2 and S3 units at some unspecified time in the future. Clearly they believe that they can do it.
Do you have a link to statements to that effect? I'm curious to see what they have to say.

The issue itself is mostly moot for me, since my S3s are already fixed and I don't do much with the Premiere.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #4970
lrhorer

Quote:
* I know. No such word. So sue me.
I'm on hold with my lawyer, right now.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #4971
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Do you have a link to statements to that effect? I'm curious to see what they have to say.

The issue itself is mostly moot for me, since my S3s are already fixed and I don't do much with the Premiere.
Quote:
Hello,

Thank you all for your patience as we develop a solution for this issue. I wanted to provide an update which may help answer any questions you may have.

Fortunately we’ve identified the issue is a result of a bug within the TiVo DVR software and are planning on a patch for TiVo Desktop which will allow transfers to start functioning again. This affects Series 2, Series 3, and Series 4 DVRs. We are currently in the testing and validation process of the patch and will make it available as soon as possible. Once this patch is made available and applied, the transfer feature will be functional.

At this time, 3rd party applications and devices such as ReadyDLNA devices, Windows Home Server devices, Roxio Toast/Popcorn for Mac, the transfer feature’s availability will depend on how strict those devices are in allowing Transfers from a TiVo DVR with this bug. For reference, I’ve been made aware that Mac Software such as Roxio Toast continues to allow transfers but devices such as Netgear’s ReadyNAS which use ReadyDLNA are not allowing transfers.

Until a software update is made available for TiVo DVRs, these 3rd party devices and software may not allow transfers.

We have addressed this bug in the latest Series 4 release and expect to deploy an update on Series 2 and Series 3 which will address the bug as well. The availability date for these software updates is still to be determined.

Once I have more information around availability of the TiVo Desktop patch I will be sure to share.

Thank you again for your patience.

Jonathan
http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/for...ageId=10432560

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 03-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #4972
BrianL-WA

Smile Migrating all shows between two Tivo boxes

I've been a long-time Tivo owner, and have 3 Tivo HD boxes but want to start to replace them with Tivo Premiere boxes. I've done some basic hacks before to upgrade drive capacities but nothing more complex as I perceive I need to get with KMTTG (or pyTivo for that matter).

I have 700+ recordings so initiating a transfer from either the TivoHD or pulling from the (new) Tivo Premier doing 1 show at a time with a 30-second delay between screen clicks isnt an option.

Is there some other way to transfer a whole lot of shows tivo-to-tivo that I'm unaware of?

Separately, I would do just about anything for a complete list of steps that I would go through to transfer all shows between these two Tivo's (ideally, not going the indirect step through a PC given the slowness of transfers for HD material from the older TivoHD boxes)...in any way possible as long as its as close to 'one button transfer' and most of the metadata is preserved (i havent been able to read in 1 spot which transfers affect which metadata fields, and which would make any substantial differences given these 700+ shows across 50+ groups).

I'm hoping this is a well-addressed question and you can direct me to the answering post or FAQ. I've been a member of Tivo's monthly survey panel for a long time and have requested this feature--i cant rationalize why Tivo themselves wouldnt simply put in a "Transfer this Tivo's Shows to your New Tivo" feature by hooking the two boxes on the same network and elegantly deleting the original files (if that's an issue for DRM)...or minimally enabling us users to select whole groups to transfer at a time...at least then it would only take 50 minutes +/- to start the process on all 700+ shows.

THANK YOU in advance--
Brian
BrianL-WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:00 AM   #4973
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL-WA View Post
I've been a long-time Tivo owner
Cross-posted (with minor edits) -- http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/...315.html#14603

Last edited by wmcbrine : 03-07-2013 at 02:57 AM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:21 AM   #4974
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
That link leads to a 404 Error.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:58 AM   #4975
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
That link leads to a 404 Error.
Thanks, I had a cut-and-paste accident composing that and I guess I didn't clean up as well as I thought. Try it now.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #4976
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL-WA View Post
I have 700+ recordings so initiating a transfer from either the TivoHD or pulling from the (new) Tivo Premier doing 1 show at a time with a 30-second delay between screen clicks isnt an option.
Once you pull all shows off your TiVo HD units as .TiVo files why bother to push them all back to Premiere units? Just leave pyTivo running and then you can pull them selectively back as needed whenever you wish. IMO using Tivos themselves as long term storage is not a reliable solution anyway if these are shows you really want to keep for a long time.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #4977
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Still, it's surprising (kinda) that after all this time, TiVo hasn't offered an easy and automatic way to to transfer all of our recordings from one TiVo to a new one. That would encourage new purchases, removing one very big barrier that makes the "upgrade" uncomfortable for many. So long as they're both on the same network, you'd think they would offer an easy way to set up a data migration, moving all shows and folders from one TiVo to another... even if it takes a few days for the entire transaction to complete.

Alas, this is TiVo. They never seem to do the really smart thing. <sigh>

Old 03-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #4978
lew

Quote:
Once you pull all shows off your TiVo HD units as .TiVo files why bother to push them all back to Premiere units? Just leave pyTivo running and then you can pull them selectively back as needed whenever you wish. IMO using Tivos themselves as long term storage is not a reliable solution anyway if these are shows you really want to keep for a long time.
+1

Quote:
Still, it's surprising (kinda) that after all this time, TiVo hasn't offered an easy and automatic way to to transfer all of our recordings from one TiVo to a new one. That would encourage new purchases, removing one very big barrier that makes the "upgrade" uncomfortable for many. So long as they're both on the same network, you'd think they would offer an easy way to set up a data migration, moving all shows and folders from one TiVo to another... even if it takes a few days for the entire transaction to complete.

Alas, this is TiVo. They never seem to do the really smart thing. <sigh>
Does tivo even have a documented way to transfer your SPs? I know there are some ways to do it.

Alternately tivo could give people a month of free service on their old machine. That would give them time to watch some shows and transfer the rest. I don't know if tivo as a way to limit the free service to allowing MRV, that's what I'm talking about.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #4979
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
But even still, their current MRV workflow is a very manual and slow process. You have to queue up each and every transfer. With even 25 shows that's a pain. What if I have 250? Or more? I'd rather not upgrade if it means I have to "lose" all of those... I'm certainly not going to MRV them all (or risk losing any metadata.)

Heck, I'd probably upgrade to a Premiere XL4 and get a Mini too, if only TiVo made it automatic and easy to grab all of my recordings and settings from the Premiere it'd be replacing. As it stands now, I'm loathe to buy any new product from TiVo, period.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #4980
lew

Quote:
But even still, their current MRV workflow is a very manual and slow process. You have to queue up each and every transfer. With even 25 shows that's a pain. What if I have 250? Or more? I'd rather not upgrade if it means I have to "lose" all of those... I'm certainly not going to MRV them all (or risk losing any metadata.)

Heck, I'd probably upgrade to a Premiere XL4 and get a Mini too, if only TiVo made it automatic and easy to grab all of my recordings and settings from the Premiere it'd be replacing. As it stands now, I'm loathe to buy any new product from TiVo, period.
At one time tivo had a place in their website to suggest new features. I can't find it. I guess you could use facebook or twitter to make the suggestion. Not a bad suggestion.

A premier can has a capacity of 75 HD hours. I doubt a tivo has the capacity for 250 shows, even SD digital, unless the shows were 30 minutes (or less). I wouldn't exaggerate, even to make a point. Tivo won't support, or acknowledge, the possibility of user upgraded equipment.

What you want could be accomplished by having a setup option to initiate a "wild card" MRV request on your new unit for all shows from your old unit.

Again not an unreasonable request, although transferring the shows to a PC will accomplish what you want to do.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote