TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #4741
morac
Cat God

Found another work around for people using Firefox. Install the Cookie Manager+ add-on and edit the "sid" cookie to expire at a later date. In Firefox this appears to "stick" so going back to the TiVo web page doesn't cause the cookie to expire again. I don't use Chrome, but it looks like this add-on does the same thing.

Note curl has an option to read cookies from a file (--cookie). TiVo Desktop actually does that when it tries to download a program. It looks for a .cookie file in save to folder on the PC. The name of the file is the same name as the .TiVo file with a .cookie appended to it. So for example, if the TiVo file is "Curiosity - ''Did God Create the Universe'' (Recorded Aug 7, 2011, DSCHD).TiVo" the the cookie file would be "Curiosity - ''Did God Create the Universe'' (Recorded Aug 7, 2011, DSCHD).TiVo.cookie". Theoretically if you create a cookie file for curl to read and put an unexpired sid cookie in there, it should work. See this page.

I'm not sure how TiVo's going to go about fixing this for old boxes as I've fairly certain the cookie is coded into the box's software. When I looked at my browser cookies I found that all TiVo box cookies expired Feb 15, 2013. It was probably hard coded into the code to do that. Premieres can be updated, but with S2 and S3 not getting updates, I don't see how they can be fixed.

Last edited by morac : 02-16-2013 at 11:24 AM.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #4742
morac
Cat God

Just to expand on what I wrote above. Type the following curl command to download the box's cookies:

Quote:
curl -c cookies.txt -d "tivo:MAK" http://tivoip:80
The current expiration date listed is the number "1360972800", which is the number of seconds since midnight of January 1, 1970. So simply change that number to when you want the cookie to expire. For example if you want it to expire next year, change it to 1392508800.

You can then use "curl -b cookies.txt" to read in the cookie file. As I mentioned above TiVo Desktop tries to read in a .cookie file with the same name as the .TiVo file it is downloading. It seems like it would be possible to trick it into using the cookie file.

Unfortunately I've found that the TiVo returns a different SID value each time curl makes a request, but apparently the TiVo doesn't care what SID is sent as long as it's valid. I "created" a new cookie for my S3 and gave it the same SID cookie value that my Premiere gave me and could download from my S3 using Firefox.

Last edited by morac : 02-16-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #4743
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
So we change the date back on our computer to fix this? Can we then change it back? What a mess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #4744
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
So we change the date back on our computer to fix this? Can we then change it back? What a mess.
That or build your own cookie as I described above. I've found that the TiVo box (at least the S3 OLED) doesn't care what the value of the SID is, as long as it is in a valid format and is sent.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #4745
BigJon

Many thanks to notting, morac, unitron and the others who figured this out....and have pointed to this thread from the at least one other that is out there ranting on this subject. Just to be clear, is there an assumption here in the community that this is a planned obsolescence strategy on the part of TiVo to force folks out of perfectly good TiVo S2's and S3's? (I don't normally buy into conspiracy theories, but....). They just had a promotion to pay 99 bucks for a lifetime service plan on your S3/HD if you bought a Premier 4 through them. So, once again, are we not likely to see a software revision to the S3/HD's (or the S2's for that matter) that will fix this?

And for those of us who are not yet Jedi Masters with pytivo, and some of the other tricks out there, what is the easiest most foolproof way to update the cookie file on a TiVo HD TCD652160 upgraded to a 2tb drive, using TiVo Desktop as the PC/transfer interface (I can't just roll back my clock and leave it there for other reasons as the PC does other stuff beyond TiVo server duty). I am not entirely clear on what medium to use to type the command lines to set the next cookie expiration date out 25 years if that's what I want to do (and, if I want a 25 year expiration, why not?).

Thanks again for the help some of the members have put into this.

BJ
BigJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #4746
moyekj

BigJon, if you use kmttg for downloads an easy workaround was already discovered and posted in this thread.
File-Configure-Program Options-Use java for downloads instead of curl

Can't help you with TiVo Desktop as I don't like to use it and don't have a full installation of it. I doubt TiVo will let this problem sit for too long without offering a workaround of their own.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #4747
jbrown13

Set my clock back to 2/13/2013 and Desktop started transferring again. Another bug from the TiVo software group that can't seem to release new versions without creating issues.
jbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #4748
opieant

moyekj: For what it's worth, I modified kmttg to do the following as a workaround since my use of kmttg requires curl support:

- Add "--head" to the usual curl command line, and run curl so it only caches the cookie without trying to download
- Parse the value for the "sid" cookie from the cookie file
- Add the "sid" cookie to the usual curl command line with --cookie (or -b, if you prefer), and run curl to download the file

My implementation of this makes use of some of my previous modifications to kmttg, so unfortunately my code can't just be added directly into the current source. I just wanted to suggest this approach since it works nicely, but you may have a better idea.
opieant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #4749
pL86

Thanks to everyone who figured this out - too bad I didn't find this answer before I reinstalled Windows. What a hassle...

One question - does the date need to be set before February 13 every time before transferring a recording to the PC? Or is once enough and going forward, this step doesn't need to be done?
pL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #4750
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown13 View Post
Set my clock back to 2/13/2013 and Desktop started transferring again. Another bug from the TiVo software group that can't seem to release new versions without creating issues.
To be fair, this bug was probably there since the first version, it's just that the date of Feb. 16th 2013 triggered it.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 02-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #4751
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
That or build your own cookie as I described above. I've found that the TiVo box (at least the S3 OLED) doesn't care what the value of the SID is, as long as it is in a valid format and is sent.
Now I am curious, how does building a browser cookie on my computer take care of this? Do iTiVo and kmttg use and share these same cookies?

Old 02-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #4752
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by opieant View Post
moyekj: For what it's worth, I modified kmttg to do the following as a workaround since my use of kmttg requires curl support:

- Add "--head" to the usual curl command line, and run curl so it only caches the cookie without trying to download
- Parse the value for the "sid" cookie from the cookie file
- Add the "sid" cookie to the usual curl command line with --cookie (or -b, if you prefer), and run curl to download the file

My implementation of this makes use of some of my previous modifications to kmttg, so unfortunately my code can't just be added directly into the current source. I just wanted to suggest this approach since it works nicely, but you may have a better idea.
OK thanks. I tried this out and got it to work. Run 1st with --head and without an output file, parse stdout to grab the sid and then run a 2nd time normal way with --cookie sid=xxxx. This also means the cookie file (--cookie-jar) is no longer needed when doing it that way. I'll keep the code on hand in case it becomes necessary for next release.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #4753
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post

Now I am curious, how does building a browser cookie on my computer take care of this? Do iTiVo and kmttg use and share these same cookies?
The TiVo http server is simply looking for a SID cookie, it doesn't seem to care if it gets one that doesn't match the one it set. The reason it's currently failing is because no cookie is sent since it expired. Building your own violates RFC standards, but it works so who cares.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #4754
opieant

Quote:
I just checked this out since I had to see it to believe it. Sure enough, it works, and formatting doesn't seem to matter either. The TiVo seems to accept any string of at least one character as a valid session ID. Considering that, it's amazing they bothered to write the code to check if the "sid" cookie is sent at all. The programmers just needed to slack off a tiny bit more and this transfer problem never would have cropped up.
opieant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #4755
tluxon

Quote:
Just to expand on what I wrote above. Type the following curl command to download the box's cookies:

Code:
The current expiration date listed is the number "1360972800", which is the number of seconds since midnight of January 1, 1970. So simply change that number to when you want the cookie to expire. For example if you want it to expire next year, change it to 1392508800.

You can then use "curl -b cookies.txt" to read in the cookie file. As I mentioned above TiVo Desktop tries to read in a .cookie file with the same name as the .TiVo file it is downloading. It seems like it would be possible to trick it into using the cookie file.

Unfortunately I've found that the TiVo returns a different SID value each time curl makes a request, but apparently the TiVo doesn't care what SID is sent as long as it's valid. I "created" a new cookie for my S3 and gave it the same SID cookie value that my Premiere gave me and could download from my S3 using Firefox.
I was able to see that the cookies.txt files created from each of my TiVoHDs contained the "1360972800" value, but I'm not clear on whether you were describing making it a global (all the cookies in the TiVo box) change or if it needs to be sent as an argument for each download request. When I commanded
Code:
curl -b cookies.txt -d "tivo:MAK" http://tivoip:80
to upload the edited cookies.txt file to the TiVo, it doesn't seem to have done anything because a subsequent
Code:
still created a cookies.txt file containing the "1360972800" value.

I guess I'm not quite understanding this...
tluxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #4756
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post
I guess I'm not quite understanding this...
All you need to do for curl to work is use:
--cookie sid=abc

As discussed above the TiVo http server doesn't seem to care what the actual sid value is as long as there is one.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #4757
tluxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
All you need to do for curl to work is use:
--cookie sid=abc

As discussed above the TiVo http server doesn't seem to care what the actual sid value is as long as there is one.
So the idea isn't to change the expiry time value of the cookie residing on the TiVo - but to just tweak the download request by substituting a dummy "cookie" string for the standard cookie string? Does that require downloads to be done on a manual basis or can this tweak be done on a more global basis?
Old 02-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #4758
moyekj

v0p9l version released

v0p9l version released with above discussed fix/workaround for curl downloads. Also contains new Season Passes Export button to export to csv file among some other things. See release_notes for all the details.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #4759
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post
So the idea isn't to change the expiry time value of the cookie residing on the TiVo - but to just tweak the download request by substituting a dummy "cookie" string for the standard cookie string? Does that require downloads to be done on a manual basis or can this tweak be done on a more global basis?
It depends on what program you are using to do the download. You can add a cookie that doesn't expire to most web browsers. TiVo Desktop uses curl, but it specifies it's own parameters so it's not really something you can automate. Third party programs that use curl can be changed as needed. So except for TiVo Desktop it can be done "globally".

I'm wondering if it would be possibly to replace the curl.exe in the TiVo Desktop folder with a batch file that simple calls curl.exe with the required "--cookie" argument. That would work depending on whether or not TiVo Desktop tried to run "curl" or "curl.exe". If TiVo Desktop calls curl.exe specifically there are still ways of doing this, but it becomes more difficult. At that point it would be easier to modify the source code of curl to hard code the cookie so a command line argument isn't needed.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #4760
tluxon

Quote:
v0p9l version released with above discussed fix/workaround for curl downloads. Also contains new Season Passes Export button to export to csv file among some other things. See release_notes for all the details.
That was quick. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #4761
howards

Quote:
Thanks so much for the quick release fix for kmttg. Works fine now using curl. If only Tivo Desktop engineers were as responsive as you!
howards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #4762
howards

Quote:

I'm wondering if it would be possibly to replace the curl.exe in the TiVo Desktop folder with a batch file that simple calls curl.exe with the required "--cookie" argument. That would work depending on whether or not TiVo Desktop tried to run "curl" or "curl.exe". If TiVo Desktop calls curl.exe specifically there are still ways of doing this, but it becomes more difficult. At that point it would be easier to modify the source code of curl to hard code the cookie so a command line argument isn't needed.
I gave this a try. Didn't work - failed with "unknown error." I think this means Tivo Deskop calls curl.exe (which I renamed to something else).

Last edited by howards : 02-16-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #4763
caddyroger

Ok I just tried the new kmttg_v0p9l. When I start a program it will start for a couple of seconds then repeats. After about 5 tries it will go to this or similar.

<h2>Bad Request</h2>
Download failed to file: <parsed filename>.TiVo
Exit code: 0
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed

0 31 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
0 31 0 31 0 0 86 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 31000
0 39 0 39 0 0 55 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 55

It does this about 4 time and the it will end. I reset the the clock back to 02-13-2013, and still did not help.
I reinstalled kmttg_v0p9k and set the clock back to 02-13-2013
Old 02-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #4764
howards

I posted this Tivo Desktop problem to Tivo directly last night. Got this answer:

-------------

We were made aware of an issue with the Desktop software this morning. We are actively investigating the issue. Most of these appear to have happened with security updates on the computer, router, or operating systems. You can use this link for troubleshooting procedures: Answer Title: TiVo Desktop for PC: Troubleshooting
Answer Link: http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/196
If this doesn't work, please give it 24-48 hours and test Desktop then. If you are still not able to transfer, please let us know.

------------------------

My reply:

It has nothing to do with security up on the computer, router, or operating systems. It is caused by Tivo using an expired coookie. See TivoCommunity discussion at:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...72#post9526972

Only Tivo can fix this. If you are telling people to update their computers or routers, you are wasting a lot of people's time on things that won't work.

-------------

Maybe it will do some good.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #4765
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
Ok I just tried the new kmttg_v0p9l. When I start a program it will start for a couple of seconds then repeats. After about 5 tries it will go to this or similar.

<h2>Bad Request</h2>
Download failed to file: <parsed filename>.TiVo
Exit code: 0
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed

0 31 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
0 31 0 31 0 0 86 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 31000
0 39 0 39 0 0 55 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 55

It does this about 4 time and the it will end. I reset the the clock back to 02-13-2013, and still did not help.
I reinstalled kmttg_v0p9k and set the clock back to 02-13-2013
Sounds like you are not running v0p9l version to me. Unless you see --cookie sid=abc as part of the curl command then you are not running the right version. Works for me and others already posted it works for them too, so if you are using the right version then beats me - java downloads is still another option.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #4766
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I have been using the Java option in KMTTG and it was why I never encountered that SID problem.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #4767
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
Many thanks to notting, morac, unitron and the others who figured this out...

BJ
The only glory I can claim is to have noticed that notting figured out what was going on.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #4768
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by howards View Post
I posted this Tivo Desktop problem to Tivo directly last night. Got this answer:

-------------

We were made aware of an issue with the Desktop software this morning. We are actively investigating the issue. Most of these appear to have happened with security updates on the computer, router, or operating systems. You can use this link for troubleshooting procedures: Answer Title: TiVo Desktop for PC: Troubleshooting
Answer Link: http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/196
If this doesn't work, please give it 24-48 hours and test Desktop then. If you are still not able to transfer, please let us know.

------------------------

My reply:

It has nothing to do with security up on the computer, router, or operating systems. It is caused by Tivo using an expired coookie. See TivoCommunity discussion at:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...72#post9526972

Only Tivo can fix this. If you are telling people to update their computers or routers, you are wasting a lot of people's time on things that won't work.

-------------

Maybe it will do some good.
Too bad nobody at TiVo is smart enough, or humble enough, to check here on TCF for the answer first.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #4769
caddyroger

Quote:
Sounds like you are not running v0p9l version to me. Unless you see --cookie sid=abc as part of the curl command then you are not running the right version. Works for me and others already posted it works for them too, so if you are using the right version then beats me - java downloads is still another option.
How do I check curl for cookie sid=abc. Also will the java command work with the auto download feature

Last edited by caddyroger : 02-16-2013 at 08:26 PM.
caddyroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #4770
javabird

Quote:
BigJon, if you use kmttg for downloads an easy workaround was already discovered and posted in this thread.
File-Configure-Program Options-Use java for downloads instead of curl

Can't help you with TiVo Desktop as I don't like to use it and don't have a full installation of it. I doubt TiVo will let this problem sit for too long without offering a workaround of their own.
Switching to java downloads is not working for me (Mac OS 10.8.x mountain lion) - I'm using the latest version of kmttg.
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote