TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-15-2008, 09:11 AM   #331
Tim Winders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Winders View Post
I'll work on this today. I tried to get the helper programs up and running a few weeks ago, but got stuck on one of them. Don't remember which at the moment...
OK. I have mencoder (version MEncoder SVN-r27776) and tivodecode (version 0.2pre4) compiled and working under Mac OSX 10.5.5.

I think it was comskip I had problems with before. I'm back to working on it now.

Is mencoder or ffmpeg preferred?

Where shall I upload these binaries? tivodecode is small enough to attach to the forum, but mencoder is over 3Mb zipped.
Tim Winders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:12 AM   #332
Tim Winders

Quote:
OK. I have mencoder (version MEncoder SVN-r27776) and tivodecode (version 0.2pre4) compiled and working under Mac OSX 10.5.5.

I think it was comskip I had problems with before. I'm back to working on it now.

Where shall I upload these binaries? tivodecode is small enough to attach to the forum, but mencoder is over 3Mb zipped.
This is seeming like a doomed experiment. I'm not a developer, so I'm just stabbing in the dark. With the extensive work already done on iTiVo, it seems Mac users might be better off in that direction.

Here's the additional (failed) progress I have made this morning.

Got ffmpeg compiled. I couldn't include XviD support. I couldn't get the XviD libraries to compile.

Started to run the kmttg.pl script. Got an error about missing Tk. Searched and found Tk is not installed by default in Mac OS X. You have to install it through an X11 window as Tk does not support the native Mac windowing environment.

Used cpan to install Tk. Got many errors. Did a forced installed. Tried to run kmttg and got this error:

bash-3.2$ perl kmttg.pl
no event type or button # or keysym at /Library/Perl/5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level/Tk/Widget.pm line 1105.
at kmttg.pl line 3715

There is another toolkit, Tkx, which I will try to install, but, as I said, with the extensive development done on iTiVo so far, it seems that would be the better way to go for Mac users.

I am still willing to help with both efforts in any (limited) way that I can.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:20 AM   #333
Yoav

Quote:

http://code.google.com/p/etv-comskip/ is a mac project to support comskip on eyeTV. You can download his program, and simply take out the comskip binary he built (he had to make some code changes to get comskip to build.. he supplies the source if you want to build it yourself).

That should get you comskip.

I wasn't clear if you managed to get ffmpeg built or not, so if you want, I put a compiled version in: http://yoav.org/iTiVo/ffmpeg

As for TclTk, probably the 'easiest' way to install this (and ffmpeg and other tools) is simply to use 'fink':

http://www.finkproject.org/download/...php?phpLang=en

Then you can just run

fink install tcltk
fink install ffmpeg

(Etc)

someone has generally done all the work you care for

Good luck...
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:30 PM   #334
Tim Winders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
http://code.google.com/p/etv-comskip/ is a mac project to support comskip on eyeTV. You can download his program, and simply take out the comskip binary he built (he had to make some code changes to get comskip to build.. he supplies the source if you want to build it yourself).

That should get you comskip.

I wasn't clear if you managed to get ffmpeg built or not, so if you want, I put a compiled version in: http://yoav.org/iTiVo/ffmpeg

As for TclTk, probably the 'easiest' way to install this (and ffmpeg and other tools) is simply to use 'fink':

http://www.finkproject.org/download/...php?phpLang=en

Then you can just run

fink install tcltk
fink install ffmpeg

(Etc)

someone has generally done all the work you care for

Good luck...
I got ffmpeg working, but I'll grap your binary also. Thanks!

I already had fink. Didn't even think of getting tcltk there! Ugh. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2008, 12:33 PM   #335
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Perl/Tk on Mac I believe requires an X server (for Tk GUI) in order to run
Strange if true. Tkinter, the Python interface to Tk, doesn't need X (and comes with OS X).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #336
moyekj

Quote:

I don't think installing tcltk will help. What you need is the Tk module for Perl, not for Tcl. Perhaps this would be of help to get Perl & Tk installed:
http://www.lehigh.edu/~sol0/Macintosh/X/ptk/

Note that ffmpeg I found in general a much better and faster encoder than mencoder. comskip is not really a must have for kmttg (personally I don't use it). For curl make sure that it has support for large files built in (or you will run into 2GB limit for downloads). You can check this by executing:
curl --version
You should see Largefile somewhere in the features list
While you are at it make sure curl protocols listed included both http and https (it should but can't hurt to check)
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:49 PM   #337
Tim Winders

Quote:

Bah!

Installing tcltk through fink didn't make a difference. Of course, this might be because I already had a bogus install of Tk. I don't know, and now I don't know how to get RID of it.

The ffmpeg binary you compiled is twice the size that I made. You must have included support for things I didn't.

I downloaded the ETVComskip program, but am not sure exactly what I might need to get "comskip". There are two python programs in the package, MarkCommercials.app and ComSkipper.app. But, I don't know where the equivalent "comskip" would be found.

No bother. I think I'm just going to stick with iTiVo for now for the Mac and use kmttg on a Windows machine.

Of course, knowing that only *1* file transfer can be happening at a time from the TiVo is a big help.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:53 PM   #338
Tim Winders

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Strange if true. Tkinter, the Python interface to Tk, doesn't need X (and comes with OS X).
Yeah, bizarre, but seems to be true. From a terminal window:

tim-winderss-macbook-pro-17:kmttg twinders$ perl kmttg.pl
Can't locate Tk.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /sw/lib/perl5 /sw/lib/perl5/darwin /opt/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/darwin-2level /opt/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8 /opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/darwin-2level /opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl /opt/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/darwin-2level /opt/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8 /opt/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at kmttg.pl line 12.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at kmttg.pl line 12.

From an X11 shell window:

bash-3.2$ perl kmttg.pl
no event type or button # or keysym at /Library/Perl/5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level/Tk/Widget.pm line 1105.
at kmttg.pl line 3715

And I found this post:

http://community.activestate.com/for...-x#comment-337

Which says:

Quote:
Perl/Tk on MacOSX requires that you run X11 for Windowing support, as it does not support the native Windowing system.
Might be something happening I don't know about. I guess I'll put in a bit more time trying to get this to work.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #339
Tim Winders

Quote:
I don't think installing tcltk will help. What you need is the Tk module for Perl, not for Tcl. Perhaps this would be of help to get Perl & Tk installed:
http://www.lehigh.edu/~sol0/Macintosh/X/ptk/

Note that ffmpeg I found in general a much better and faster encoder than mencoder. comskip is not really a must have for kmttg (personally I don't use it). For curl make sure that it has support for large files built in (or you will run into 2GB limit for downloads). You can check this by executing:
curl --version
You should see Largefile somewhere in the features list
While you are at it make sure curl protocols listed included both http and https (it should but can't hurt to check)
I will take a look at that site and see if that helps.

Understand about comskip. Just a really cool feature of kmttg to have that part of the process.

Checked the native curl on my system.

tim-winderss-macbook-pro-17:kmttg twinders$ curl --version
curl 7.16.3 (powerpc-apple-darwin9.0) libcurl/7.16.3 OpenSSL/0.9.7l zlib/1.2.3
Protocols: tftp ftp telnet dict ldap http file https ftps
Features: GSS-Negotiate IPv6 Largefile NTLM SSL libz

So, that looks good.

Off to do more checking...
Old 10-15-2008, 01:13 PM   #340
Tim Winders

Quote:
Might be something happening I don't know about. I guess I'll put in a bit more time trying to get this to work.
Found the something I didn't know.

The tests require an X11 shell window. Since I was installing from cpan, the default was to run tests, blah blah blah.

I downloaded the full Tk package and compiled in a normal shell window, skipping the tests.

Now, I can run 'perl kmttg.pl' in a normal shell window. Only problem is, I get an immediate Bus error. Sigh. Tried both 8.04.028 and the most current dev version 8.04.028_500 with the same results. The previous 027 version is ancient, so I can't believe it would be any better.

Results posted through automated cpan reporting show there have been some successful builds on OSX, but not many.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #341
Tim Winders

Quote:
Found the something I didn't know.

The tests require an X11 shell window. Since I was installing from cpan, the default was to run tests, blah blah blah.

I downloaded the full Tk package and compiled in a normal shell window, skipping the tests.

Now, I can run 'perl kmttg.pl' in a normal shell window. Only problem is, I get an immediate Bus error. Sigh. Tried both 8.04.028 and the most current dev version 8.04.028_500 with the same results. The previous 027 version is ancient, so I can't believe it would be any better.

Results posted through automated cpan reporting show there have been some successful builds on OSX, but not many.
Damn!

2 different versions of perl I'm using. Arrgh!

<-- kicks himself, screaming DUMBASS!

Back to the drawing board....

(tired of my spam yet?)
Old 10-15-2008, 01:44 PM   #342
Tim Winders

Quote:
(tired of my spam yet?)
I know I'm tired of my own spam, so I'll stop for now.

Nothing to discover. Can't seem to get Tk working in perl. I guess it wasn't meant to be. Need to clean up my system and try again another day.

Will have to stick with kmttg on a Windows box.

Hopefully I helped someone (not waste their time) and if anyone gets it up and going on Mac OS X, they can post specific steps to do so...
Old 10-18-2008, 11:14 AM   #343
moyekj

New version released

New version released with minor enhancements and a bug fix:

------------------
v0.5c (10/18/2008)
------------------
ENHANCEMENTS:
* Added [monthNum] as another keyword option for File Naming. This is
2 digit numeric month as compared to [month] which is 3 character
abbreviation for month.

* Remove "Copyright Tribune Media Services, Inc." from description
text of shows downloaded from Tivo. That text shows up in all/most
show descriptions and is not useful to display.

FIX:
* After loading Now Playing List from Cache when clicking on a show
in the list the show details were not being printed to message pane.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #344
menos

I've been messing around with this and would love to get it working, but I can't seem to get auto transfers working. I've got the entries in the configuration (see attachment), but it never seems to do anything. I've added the service and clicking on 'status' tells me that it is running.

What am I doing wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kmttg config.jpg (43.7 KB, 10 views)
menos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:55 PM   #345
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by menos View Post
I've been messing around with this and would love to get it working, but I can't seem to get auto transfers working. I've got the entries in the configuration (see attachment), but it never seems to do anything. I've added the service and clicking on 'status' tells me that it is running.

What am I doing wrong?
Capability to run as windows service is still very experimental (as indicated in documentation), and in Vista doesn't work at all without extra work. In XP I did get it to run OK which is when I released the capability, but even there it was shaky.
My 1st suggestion is to try Auto Transfers->Run in GUI and make sure it runs OK in that mode. If it's not working there either you can try enabling "Dry Run Mode (test keywords only)" to debug it further. In that mode it won't actually run anything but will spit out reasons for matching or not matching.

Once things are setup such that "Run in GUI" is working OK then there are other methods for running in batch mode without being a service, so for example you can setup a windows scheduled job to run kmttg in batch auto transfer mode. I can give you more details about that if desired.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:04 PM   #346
jmpage2

Quote:

What am I doing wrong?
Make sure that you are using an administrator account in the service.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:20 PM   #347
menos

Looks like I've got it running. I had to change it to use the 'Local System Account' instead of the account it was configured with.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:26 PM   #348
moyekj

Quote:
Looks like I've got it running. I had to change it to use the 'Local System Account' instead of the account it was configured with.
Glad you got it running. I should put a note somewhere in documentation about that.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:08 PM   #349
menos

Ok Now I'm having a problem where the auto transfers are not encoding.
The .tivo is pulled from the Tivo, tivodecode outputs the .mpg and then nothing.

This is the relevent section of the auto.log

Quote:
Wed 10/22/2008 07:56 PM >> Getting Now Playing List from Living Room ...
Wed 10/22/2008 07:56 PM "C:\Program Files\kmttg\curl\curl.exe" --retry 3 --anyauth --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\cookies2004" --url "https://192.168.1.50/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2FNowPlaying&R ecurse=Yes" --output "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\nplFile2004_155"
Wed 10/22/2008 07:56 PM --DONE--
Wed 10/22/2008 07:56 PM Title keyword match: 'fringe' found in 'fringe'
Wed 10/22/2008 07:56 PM SKIPPING METADATA GENERATION, FILE ALREADY EXISTS: r:\tivo_tv\Fringe - The Cure/Fringe - The Cure_106_The Curemp4.txt
Wed 10/22/2008 07:56 PM >> DOWNLOADING C:\Program Files\kmttg\temp\Fringe - The Cure/Fringe - The Cure_106_The Cure.TiVo ...
Wed 10/22/2008 07:56 PM "C:\Program Files\kmttg\curl\curl.exe" --retry 3 --anyauth --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\cookies2004" --url "http://192.168.1.50:80/download/Fringe.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=951097" --output "C:\Program Files\kmttg\temp\Fringe - The Cure/Fringe - The Cure_106_The Cure.TiVo"
Wed 10/22/2008 09:38 PM C:\Program Files\kmttg\temp\Fringe - The Cure/Fringe - The Cure_106_The Cure.TiVo size=5052.13 MB elapsed=01:42:08 (6.92 Mbps)
Wed 10/22/2008 09:38 PM --DONE--
Wed 10/22/2008 09:38 PM >> DECRYPTING C:\Program Files\kmttg\temp\Fringe - The Cure/Fringe - The Cure_106_The Cure.TiVo ...
Wed 10/22/2008 09:38 PM "C:\Program Files\kmttg\tivodecode\tivodecode.exe" --mak MAK --out "C:\Program Files\kmttg\temp\Fringe - The Cure/Fringe - The Cure_106_The Cure.mpg" "C:\Program Files\kmttg\temp\Fringe - The Cure/Fringe - The Cure_106_The Cure.TiVo"
Wed 10/22/2008 09:49 PM C:\Program Files\kmttg\temp\Fringe - The Cure/Fringe - The Cure_106_The Cure.mpg size=5052.11 MB elapsed=00:11:14 (62.88 Mbps)
Wed 10/22/2008 09:49 PM --DONE--
Wed 10/22/2008 09:49 PM (Deleted .TiVo file: C:\Program Files\kmttg\temp\Fringe - The Cure/Fringe - The Cure_106_The Cure.TiVo)
Wed 10/22/2008 09:49 PM *ERROR* Encoding command not found/executable:
Wed 10/22/2008 09:49 PM
SLEEPING 10 mins ...

Old 10-23-2008, 03:05 AM   #350
moyekj

Quote:
Ok Now I'm having a problem where the auto transfers are not encoding.
The .tivo is pulled from the Tivo, tivodecode outputs the .mpg and then nothing.
Yup looks like there's a bug in encode setup for auto mode where it doesn't grab the encoding profile name correctly. I've implemented a fix that perhaps you can try out before I make another release (I'll P.M. you).

Old 10-23-2008, 07:22 AM   #351
menos

Sure, send it my way. I also noticed a bug where the metadata file doesn't have a period between the filename and the mp4 portion (ie shownamemp4.text instead of showname.mp4.txt)

Great program man, thanks alot.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:37 AM   #352
moyekj

------------------
v0.5d (10/23/2008)
------------------
ENHANCEMENTS:
* Added documentation on how to get kmttg running as a service in Windows Vista.

AUTO TRANSFERS MODE FIXES:
* Encoding profile name was not being properly obtained from auto config
setup and hence encoding in auto transfers mode was not working.
* metadata and encode file name suffix was missing a leading "."

Old 10-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #353
dredwing

Nip/Tuck (slashes in names)

The support for [/] in the filename spec (to allow subdirectories) that was added in v0.5a is a nice feature, but I just stumbled across an annoying side effect - episodes of Nip/Tuck end up in the <base_dir>\Nip\Tuck\Nip sub directory.

Would it be difficult to still replace any slashes in the Series or Episode names the same way that colons are replaced (before building the full file spec)?

It might also be nice to replace troublesome characters with an underscore or some other character, rather than just removing it. (The one example I'm aware of where this would have been particularly useful was the "9:02" episode of Jericho, which can end up looking like an episode number.)
dredwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #354
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredwing View Post
The support for [/] in the filename spec (to allow subdirectories) that was added in v0.5a is a nice feature, but I just stumbled across an annoying side effect - episodes of Nip/Tuck end up in the <base_dir>\Nip\Tuck\Nip sub directory.

Would it be difficult to still replace any slashes in the Series or Episode names the same way that colons are replaced (before building the full file spec)?

It might also be nice to replace troublesome characters with an underscore or some other character, rather than just removing it. (The one example I'm aware of where this would have been particularly useful was the "9:02" episode of Jericho, which can end up looking like an episode number.)
Hmm, at some point I was replacing forward slashes with underscores but looks like I commented that out for some reason somewhere along the line. In current build try uncommenting line 986 of kmttg.pl to see if it fixes that issue for you.
i.e. Remove the leading "#" from the following line:
#$file =~ s/\//_/g;

Old 10-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #355
dredwing

Red face Stop/Pause job queue after (before?) running out of disk space?

Recently, I queued up quite a few shows for download and decode, but had not first verified that there was enough disk space available. After running out of disk space, kmttg continued to work its way through the queue, and not surprisingly, the subsequent queued jobs failed, though they often succeeded at creating an empty file. Since kmttg (correctly, I think) will skip queued jobs when the target output file already exists, the empty files need to be deleted before resubmitting the tasks for failed jobs. Since I use the [/] file naming feature, this requires more effort (ok, a little more effort) than just selecting all the size zero files in a single directory.

While this was a stupid user error, it would be nice if kmttg were to pause processing of the job queue in this situation, to avoid the creation of empty files and to allow resume of remaining items in the job queue (assuming the UI were to add a resume or restart button).

If kmttg were to support a feature like TiVo Desktop which allows reserving a certain amount of free disk space, this would be even better. TiVo Desktop only needs to worry about available space in a single location, but it would be reasonable if kmttg were to support a single value for minimum free disk space, regardless of which target directory is specified.

Neither of these suggestions is particularly high priority, since it is fairly easy (for the user) to avoid this stupid user trick.

Do you prefer this forum, or the kmttg Google Code issue tracking site for requests like this?
Old 10-24-2008, 03:42 PM   #356
moyekj

dredwing, yes this thread is fine for issues/requests etc. as far as I'm concerned.
I'll have to think about the check free space request. First thing that comes to mind is I don't know if there is a generic Perl way of checking available disk space for different architectures without extra modules such as Filesys :: DiskSpace (I try and minimize use of non-standard modules as much as possible). It can be a tricky thing to check for cases where shortcuts, quotas, symbolic links, etc. are being used. It does sound like a reasonable check to add however so if I find an easy enough way that works well on different Operating Systems I'll add it.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:20 AM   #357
dredwing

Smile

Quote:
Hmm, at some point I was replacing forward slashes with underscores but looks like I commented that out for some reason somewhere along the line. In current build try uncommenting line 986 of kmttg.pl to see if it fixes that issue for you.
i.e. Remove the leading "#" from the following line:
#$file =~ s/\//_/g;
Thank you! The Nip/Tuck files are now being created as <base_dir>\Nip_Tuck\Nip_Tuck - <ep#> <Title>...
Old 10-25-2008, 10:34 AM   #358
dredwing

Quote:
dredwing, yes this thread is fine for issues/requests etc. as far as I'm concerned.
I'll have to think about the check free space request. First thing that comes to mind is I don't know if there is a generic Perl way of checking available disk space for different architectures without extra modules such as Filesys :: DiskSpace (I try and minimize use of non-standard modules as much as possible). It can be a tricky thing to check for cases where shortcuts, quotas, symbolic links, etc. are being used. It does sound like a reasonable check to add however so if I find an easy enough way that works well on different Operating Systems I'll add it.
I looked around a bit, and did not see any good examples of Perl code for checking available disk space.

One alternative for df compatibility under Windows might be to snag the df.exe program from utilities available at
http://www.geocities.com/lc_castro/winnt.htm

That package is licensed under GPL v2, so should be compatible with kmttg, but unfortunately, the ouput of df.exe is not in the same format as linux, so you would need a C compiler to recompile after changing the program to make the output more unix-like. (If the output isn't close to the same format as unix, it would probably be easier to just have separate code for parsing output of dir command.)

A related feature that would be nice is if there were a display of the total (estimated) size of files selected for download.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:51 PM   #359
moyekj

I've got something working using "df" on unix systems and "dir" on windows systems that's probably good enough. Still got work to do to implement actual checks and add as config option.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:43 PM   #360
menos

New problem. When the service attempts to run ffmpeg it errors out. If I try using the gui it seems to work.

Quote:
Mon 10/27/2008 07:30 AM >> ENCODING TO FILE G:\tivo_tv\My Own Worst Enemy/My Own Worst Enemy--The Hummingbird.mp4 ...
Mon 10/27/2008 07:30 AM "C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe" tivo_mp4_encode.pl -h "C:\Program Files\kmttg\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe" "C:\Program Files\kmttg\temp\My Own Worst Enemy/My Own Worst Enemy--The Hummingbird.mpg" "G:\tivo_tv\My Own Worst Enemy/My Own Worst Enemy--The Hummingbird.mp4"
Mon 10/27/2008 07:30 AM *ERROR* encoder failed (exit code: 2) - check above C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe command
Mon 10/27/2008 07:30 AM Can't open perl script "tivo_mp4_encode.pl": No such file or directory