TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #3511
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
It (VRD) says I am running version 2.5.6.512, Is that incorrect?
Download the most recent beta version here. The full release versions are usually few and far between. A lot of work happens in the beta stages for VRD.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #3512
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
.AVI is not smaller than .MPG, its slightly larger, because .AVI is a wrapper of the .MPG. If you want it smaller, then its .MP4 you want. Size can be reduced to about 1/3 of the original.
I don't totally understand what you are saying here. MPEG4/AVI files should really always be smaller than MPEG2/MPG files. You can get better compression out of H.264/MP4 than MPEG4/AVI files though.

Are you thinking that he is just remuxing his MPEG2 video into AVI?

That being said, I do feel that H.264/MP4 is a much better final container for Tivo than MPEG4/AVI since it is natively accepted by Tivo.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #3513
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
Download the most recent beta version here. The full release versions are usually few and far between. A lot of work happens in the beta stages for VRD.
That is TV Suite version. The $50 VRD Plus is here:
http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/showthread.php?t=6972

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #3514
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
That is TV Suite version. The $50 VRD Plus is here:
http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/showthread.php?t=6972
Thank you.

I also downloaded VAP (now that I know what it is). I am learning.

(Man...just don't get me interested in programming <I used to be pretty good, but that was eons ago>, because I might be able to contribute there also , I am getting that urge).

Ok, here's what I want to learn how to do:

1. I want to learn how to batch a number of files so they can be done overnight while I am asleep, ie, let the PC do most of what I need while it's doing nothing else.

2. I want to learn how to rename the files with episode and season # data (something like S1E16). I know I probably have to do this manually, but where? Or more precisely when? I am still confused.

On #1 point, when I batch a bunch of files, invariably, after 2 files or so (even after I unchecked QSFix [remember, I had the wrong version]), the program gets stuck for like 10 hours+. I don't understand why.

Last edited by Hercules67 : 11-09-2011 at 06:03 PM. Reason: incorrect grammar
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #3515
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
I don't totally understand what you are saying here. MPEG4/AVI files should really always be smaller than MPEG2/MPG files. You can get better compression out of H.264/MP4 than MPEG4/AVI files though.

Are you thinking that he is just remuxing his MPEG2 video into AVI?

That being said, I do feel that H.264/MP4 is a much better final container for Tivo than MPEG4/AVI since it is natively accepted by Tivo.
Which one is smaller and maintains quality? That's the one I want. I do not plan on sharing these files with anyone.

Avi.net will take an mpg file only.
Pazera will take any mpeg and convert to anything.

So that I can get it right in my head: When we talk about files:
1. A .Tivo is a wrapper that TIVO puts around a program (File, etc), in this case:
2. An .mpg file (located in the "mpg Output Directory"? Is that an MPEG-2 file? An MPEG-1? Is that the same as a DVD? Or is a DVD file what comes later? (I Thought MPEG-1 was mostly audio).
3. In the "mpg cut directory" is the file with-out the commercials - I get that. That's still an MPEG-2?
4. In the "Encoded Files Output Directory" is an MPEG-4 file. That's a "DVD-File" right? That's smaller than .mpg? Smaller than .tivo?

What's wrong if I took an .mpg (aka MPEG-2) and converted it to .avi with XVID or even H264/MP4 with Pazera, but KMTTG can do that much......?

PS. Darn, I am still confused.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #3516
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
My workflow may be a bit different than some others here but, here it is:

I use kmttg to dl and decrypt the file from tivo to an mpg file.

I use VAP/Video Redo to run quickstream fix on the file and rename it with correct series, season and episode data. File is placed on my file server.

I then open the files with VAP on my laptop and let VAP do the adscan. VAP launches VR to allow me to edit the cuts and save. VAP then saves the cut file to an mpg.

I use meGUI to encode the mpeg2 files to h264/ac3 in an mp4 container.

The reason I use so many steps is that none of these utilities can do all the steps and I cannot easily edit the commercials nor encode on my file server.

kmttg cannot properly name the files. VAP/VR cannot cut commercials without user intervention, nor can they encode properly to mp4. I refuse to purchase an upgrade to TV Suite until it can encode ac3 audio for tivo. So I use meGUI for the encodes. Not just ones from tivo, but ones I get elsewere as well.
In the interest of not spamming the board, (I am looking more and more like a SPAM generator with all my posts, aren't I?)....I'll shut up after this. I am sorry.

Ok, I've been experimenting for a week now, and thank god, I've only screwed-up a couple of files, none that I really wanted to keep, but I need to get to a process that makes sense. However, I am sure, your-all's process was more time consuming because you had to work out the bugs/kinks out of the program. SO, take my frustrations with a grain of salt and a bow on the violin.

I'd really, REALLY would like to learn how to rename the files using VAP or whatever tool is best out there.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #3517
danterner
Not it!

There are many renaming tools out there, but the best I've found is The Renamer: http://www.therenamer.com/

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:07 AM   #3518
bwall23

Quote:
This is where I get hung-up also.

Also, I *like* to additionally change files to .avi (smaller footprint). Which of the three files offers itself-up for this conversion better? --

1. mpg Output Directory (that's first pass transcoded ,from .tivo --> .mpg, right?)
2. .mpg Cut Directory (that's the one w/o commercials, right?)
3. Encode Output Directory (what is this file then?)

Avi.net recognizes (#1) but not (#2) and (#3). What processing steps am I missing?

I probably sound like a complete noob... Trust me, I am reading everything I can, and I have programming experience (but not in Java ** some Perl). I am just now learning this video stuff, and I've come a long way from what I knew.
Late to the game, but want to clarify #1
mpg output directory is NOT TRANSCODED. It's just a plain ole mpeg2 from the TiVo (.TiVo file) with the encryption/wrapper removed. There is no transcoding/decoding/encoding done. It should be exactly the same transmission you received it as from the CableCO or OTA station, i.e. bit-for-bit what was transmitted, but with the TiVo wrapper (encryption) removed from it.
bwall23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:56 AM   #3519
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 View Post
Late to the game, but want to clarify #1
mpg output directory is NOT TRANSCODED. It's just a plain ole mpeg2 from the TiVo (.TiVo file) with the encryption/wrapper removed. There is no transcoding/decoding/encoding done. It should be exactly the same transmission you received it as from the CableCO or OTA station, i.e. bit-for-bit what was transmitted, but with the TiVo wrapper (encryption) removed from it.
Ok, so I almost had this figured out correctly (I pretty much knew this)...
Forgive me for another dumb question then:

Why are we trans-coding from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4?
-- Better Quality? Is that possible?
-- Smaller File? (ok, I would like that)
-- Broader support across devices? (now I am starting to understand)
-- and what do I lose if I was to go MPEG-2 -> AVI/XVID?
Old 11-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #3520
sanjonny

Herc,

Been gone a few days and missed some good discussion. First of all, one of the posts awhile back was wrong about mp4, in short we are talking about container vs. encode.

So if you take a tivo file natively off the tivo, it comes encrypted in mpeg2 format and named .tivo. kmttg then decrypts the file and changes the extension but not the mpeg2 format itself. So now you process it in kmttg. I will go more into that later, but still on container and encodes...apples and oranges per say.

So you have a file say simpsons.mpg. Mpg is a container, think of it as a shopping bag color of blue. inside the mpg file is a format of mpeg2 -apple lets say. If you then feed the file to avi.net you will encode the file to xvid format which turns your apple into a banana since it processes it and then places it in a different shopping bag color red-the avi container .avi . (just folllow along I am going somewhere)
Or you can take the same apple and encode it to H.264 and it turns it into a pear. Lets say you choose an mp4 file. Then your apple has been changed to a pear and is a shopping bag of green - mp4. Now you can take the same pear and put it into a yellow bag which is the matroska-container .mkv. The pear is still a pear in each, but in the mp4 bag, you can only have one audio stream and I think maybe one subtitle stream.

In the mkv format, you can take the same pear and include several audio files, say english and directors commentary and german soundtracks and the closed captions for all of them- all in the yellow bag - mkv, but you cannot fit all that into the green bag-mp4 because it will not hold all the extra stuff.

Someone incorrectly posted the thing about avi being bigger than mpg and mp4 and all that, which is why you are confused. The extension doesn't always refer to the encoding.

For example, you can have an .avi container that holds xvid content, or mpeg2 content or several others, it is just the bag the file comes in.

It is a bit more complicated because some containers only take one kind of audio stream and others can take more (AAC vs AC3 and all that) which is why some set top boxes like the wd box have problems playing shows that arent just right. They are correct for the specs but the box can only play ac3 audio and not aac or whatever. That is a whole other confusing thing.

So simpsons.tivo is decryted by kmttg and renamed simpsons.mpg

Simpsons.mpg in mpeg2 format. Could also be called simpsons.vob (dvd) or simpsons.avi.

Encode to xvid- simpsons.avi
Encode to h264 - simpsons.mkv or simpsons.mp4 even simpsons.avi but might have some problem, or now FLV-flash video

The encoding is different than the container, which is why there is a lot of confusion.

In general to shrink files, the order is mpg mpeg2 (which is already compressed) to xvid -avi to h264 -mkv or mp4 or even flv.

mpg is generally bigger than xvid is generally bigger than h264.

The containers have different strengths and weaknesses, you can read more about them on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...tainer_formats and follow some other stuff there, but hopefully this makes sense. More in next post
sanjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #3521
jcthorne

Quote:
I'd really, REALLY would like to learn how to rename the files using VAP or whatever tool is best out there.
VAP will do what you want. Click Advance Configuration and place a naming template for the output files.

Mine is:

{title} S{seasonnum}E{epnum} {eptitle}

which generates file names that look like this:

Law & Order: Criminal Intent S01E16 The Prodigy.mpg

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #3522
sanjonny

Second, as for processing, here is what I do (scroll back for more detail, I went thru this a few weeks ago)

Use kmttg to pull show off tivo, decrypt, qsfix and adscan all in one session. Basically select the files to be processed and check the boxes listed and after awhile kmttg will process them all. I use videoredo for the qsfix and adscan- it is worth it. But you cannot trust the automated cuts.

Then later on, have a cup of coffee and open the project (adscan) files in videoredo sequentially and manually check the commercials. Some files will need no modifications, some will need some playing around with. As you get used to the software, you get pretty fast at it and usually I wait until I have like 20 files to go thru and it normally might take 5 minutes to go thru them all if none need major editing or 15 if there is alot of editing needed. After I check/edit each file, I save the project file and edit check the next one.

AFter I have gone thru all the 20 shows. I then go to files in kmttg and load them, select adcut only and have kmttg run the adcut (you can set several options as to what you want to keep or whatever), I basically have it remove the original file and project file once I have completed them all automated.

So then depending on what settings you have, you will have your 20 shows all cut and pretty and ready for any post processing you are planning on doing.

It makes sense to cut the commercials out before encoding because it saves time. If one third of everything is commercials, then if you cut the file down, you will only encode 2/3 as much as if you tried to cut commercials later. And once you have the hang of it, it goes really fast.

Now for shows that I want to encode in xvid or rename or both, I rename them, then move to a different directory just to make life and sorting easier and then run index.net on the 20 files which prepares them for avi.net (saves manual time) then load them and choose settings for each in avi.net and batch encode them, and then delete the cutmpg file. Assume I had 20gb of files, now I might only have 3gb in xvid format.

If I want to encode to H264 (which I do not usually due with tivo files due to the extra time and issues with playing back on slower computers) I would load them into handbrake or video.net and process them that way- for me always matroska because I can easily convert that to mp4 if needed.

I don't use the built in encoder profiles in kmttg as I have run into audio sync issues in the past. I have even made my own profiles in kmttg and still had troubles. I plan to work on this later, but actually using avi.net, I can choose per file how much compression I want, some shows I really shrink down if I think I might not watch them too much and others I know I will watch over and over again, I don't shrink as much so they look prettier. The downside is avi.net only goes to 720p, but that is fine by me for the shows I use it on.

If you watch most of your shows back on the tivo, you might want to choose mp4 because it is natively supported but limited in my mind. You can always stream them back using streambaby if needed which is why I use mkv because I like the other features.

I then place the files on my server and enjoy. I mostly watch archived stuff thru my settop boxes or my tv which all have ways to watch them. I have a brite view stb which is vary forgiving of format issues, vs the wd which i had at first but wanted to throw away because of the audio issues with it only playing basically one type of audio for many files.

I have one tivo/tv that doesn't have a stb and to watch the mkv and xvid files there, i use streambaby, which works fine.

Last edited by sanjonny : 11-10-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #3523
jcthorne

Quote:
Ok, so I almost had this figured out correctly (I pretty much knew this)...
Forgive me for another dumb question then:

Why are we trans-coding from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4?
-- Better Quality? Is that possible?
-- Smaller File? (ok, I would like that)
-- Broader support across devices? (now I am starting to understand)
-- and what do I lose if I was to go MPEG-2 -> AVI/XVID?
You cannot push an avi/xvid to tivo without transcoding again. mpeg2 or mp4 only. mp4 containing an h264 video stream is far more compact than an mpeg2 stream and pushes to tivo far faster than real time. This allows instant access from the tivo menu for files stored on a server.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #3524
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjonny View Post
I have a brite view stb which is vary forgiving of format issues, vs the wd which i had at first but wanted to throw away because of the audio issues with it only playing basically one type of audio for many files.
Interesting choice. I actually chose a WDTV BECAUSE it was one of the very few devices that would correctly play an mp4 file containing h264 video and an ac3 5.1 soundtrack. IE the same files I prepare for Tivo play perfectly on the WDTV.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #3525
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Second, as for processing, here is what I do (scroll back for more detail, I went thru this a few weeks ago)

Use kmttg to pull show off tivo, decrypt, qsfix and adscan all in one session. Basically select the files to be processed and check the boxes listed and after awhile kmttg will process them all. I use videoredo for the qsfix and adscan- it is worth it. But you cannot trust the automated cuts.

Then later on, have a cup of coffee and open the project (adscan) files in videoredo sequentially and manually check the commercials. Some files will need no modifications, some will need some playing around with. As you get used to the software, you get pretty fast at it and usually I wait until I have like 20 files to go thru and it normally might take 5 minutes to go thru them all if none need major editing or 15 if there is alot of editing needed. After I check/edit each file, I save the project file and edit check the next one.

AFter I have gone thru all the 20 shows. I then go to files in kmttg and load them, select adcut only and have kmttg run the adcut (you can set several options as to what you want to keep or whatever), I basically have it remove the original file and project file once I have completed them all automated.

So then depending on what settings you have, you will have your 20 shows all cut and pretty and ready for any post processing you are planning on doing.

It makes sense to cut the commercials out before encoding because it saves time. If one third of everything is commercials, then if you cut the file down, you will only encode 2/3 as much as if you tried to cut commercials later. And once you have the hang of it, it goes really fast.

Now for shows that I want to encode in xvid or rename or both, I rename them, then move to a different directory just to make life and sorting easier and then run index.net on the 20 files which prepares them for avi.net (saves manual time) then load them and choose settings for each in avi.net and batch encode them, and then delete the cutmpg file. Assume I had 20gb of files, now I might only have 3gb in xvid format.

If I want to encode to H264 (which I do not usually due with tivo files due to the extra time and issues with playing back on slower computers) I would load them into handbrake or video.net and process them that way- for me always matroska because I can easily convert that to mp4 if needed.

I don't use the built in encoder profiles in kmttg as I have run into audio sync issues in the past. I have even made my own profiles in kmttg and still had troubles. I plan to work on this later, but actually using avi.net, I can choose per file how much compression I want, some shows I really shrink down if I think I might not watch them too much and others I know I will watch over and over again, I don't shrink as much so they look prettier. The downside is avi.net only goes to 720p, but that is fine by me for the shows I use it on.

If you watch most of your shows back on the tivo, you might want to choose mp4 because it is natively supported but limited in my mind. You can always stream them back using streambaby if needed which is why I use mkv because I like the other features.

I then place the files on my server and enjoy. I mostly watch archived stuff thru my settop boxes or my tv which all have ways to watch them. I have a brite view stb which is vary forgiving of format issues, vs the wd which i had at first but wanted to throw away because of the audio issues with it only playing basically one type of audio for many files.

I have one tivo/tv that doesn't have a stb and to watch the mkv and xvid files there, i use streambaby, which works fine.

+1000 Thanks. I am going to try.

Please understand, I had inferred most of this, but I could not coherently make it work on VRD. Now I am going to try again.

I am going to be in the hospital with my wife post-op the next few days, and I am going to try to take some files with me on the laptop. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #3526
sanjonny

Quote:
You cannot push an avi/xvid to tivo without transcoding again. mpeg2 or mp4 only. mp4 containing an h264 video stream is far more compact than an mpeg2 stream and pushes to tivo far faster than real time. This allows instant access from the tivo menu for files stored on a server.
if in xvid format, stream baby converts on the fly, so minus about a 5 second pause, no real difference if you are serving it via streaming. if you want to physicallly place it on the tivo (and why would you, just gonna take up space), yes, mp4 is okay and h264 can be smaller ( you could actually encode it to be larger, like taking a 720p 2 mb/sec file and encoding it to 1920 15mb/s, but that would be silly. on a relative basis, h264 is better compression than xvid, but not a vast difference.

xvid is also faster than realtime, and if i remember correctly only certain audio format on the mp4 works, so some mp4 will not play on tivo without transcoding anyway (back to the whole container vs encoder).

whatever floats your boat, i am just sharing what i do and tryi g to point out all the options. if you love h264 in mp4 format, and hate xvid, that is okay. i have just had the most success with the h264 mkv and xvid avi format for reasons already discussed, but i do use all the formats.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #3527
sanjonny

Quote:
Interesting choice. I actually chose a WDTV BECAUSE it was one of the very few devices that would correctly play an mp4 file containing h264 video and an ac3 5.1 soundtrack. IE the same files I prepare for Tivo play perfectly on the WDTV.
i had one wd (granted this was a year ago) but i had so many problems with format/audio issues on xvid and mp4 and flv that i wanted to throw the thing away. i did return it. i imagine there have been some updates to it now, but the brite view is cheaper and plays almost anything, even incorrectly labeled containers and formats, though certain flash videos it used to play it now doesnt (but alternate firmware allows this)

if i remember, the wd would not place mpeg2 aac which lots of tivo stuff has or something like that. sd content was hit or miss and i forget why but it would not play everything right off the tivo because of audio issues.

to its credit, i think briteview performs a mediainfo style lookup on the file regardless of container extension and just plays it. incorrectly named xvid avi labeled mpg and vice versa all play on the briteview. i think now it is smaller and cost 80 bucks but for 50 bucks, you cannot go wrong. like i said, i imagine the wd is better now, but i really have no interest in it since my bv works great.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #3528
sanjonny

speaking of renamers, i have a ton of south park episodes in the title - episode format. does anyone know of a program that will help me fix that? say south park - bass to mouth. most of the renamers want the s15e08 in front of it. anyone know a way to rename that doesnt have that?

i imagine you could integrate that into kmttg like is done in nextpvr, where there is a plugin that will properly rename the episode on transfer, maybe another suggestion for future development as i think that would be good for kmttg.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #3529
Phantom Gremlin

This is a fantastic thread.

Thanks to moyekj for writing kmttg and for continuously improving it. The only thing I ask for is that the program be rewritten in Python rather than Java. Perhaps the next major release?

Thanks to everyone else for all the great information on containers, transcoding, supplemental programs, etc.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #3530
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
There are many renaming tools out there, but the best I've found is The Renamer: http://www.therenamer.com/
I can't seem to get this to work. Since this forum is about KMTTG, can you PM me about it? OR not, if other people want to learn from this. Apparently, it wont take MPEG2 or MPEG4 files? Only AVI? And it didn't like any of my files from TIVO after they were renamed from .tivo to .mp4 or whatever. Why is that?

Last edited by Hercules67 : 11-10-2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-11-2011, 12:02 PM   #3531
jcthorne

Quote:
if in xvid format, stream baby converts on the fly, so minus about a 5 second pause, no real difference if you are serving it via streaming. if you want to physicallly place it on the tivo (and why would you, just gonna take up space), yes, mp4 is okay and h264 can be smaller ( you could actually encode it to be larger, like taking a 720p 2 mb/sec file and encoding it to 1920 15mb/s, but that would be silly. on a relative basis, h264 is better compression than xvid, but not a vast difference.

xvid is also faster than realtime, and if i remember correctly only certain audio format on the mp4 works, so some mp4 will not play on tivo without transcoding anyway (back to the whole container vs encoder).

whatever floats your boat, i am just sharing what i do and tryi g to point out all the options. if you love h264 in mp4 format, and hate xvid, that is okay. i have just had the most success with the h264 mkv and xvid avi format for reasons already discussed, but i do use all the formats.
Because I gave up on streaming via streambaby. For HD files the problems, rebuffering etc all ended up with a WAF of zero.

I use pytivo and vidmgr. mp4 files with h264/ac3 are selected from the tivo using a glorious HD interface and pushed instantly upon selection. IE select what you want to watch and its available now. All the benifits of streaming with none of the problems, and a number of better features too.

ALL of my video on our server is stored in mp4 containers with h264/ac3. It all plays on the tivo natively. It also all plays on any pc we own and the WDTV box we keep in our motorhome. One file for all. WAF of 100%.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #3532
jcthorne

Quote:
speaking of renamers, i have a ton of south park episodes in the title - episode format. does anyone know of a program that will help me fix that? say south park - bass to mouth. most of the renamers want the s15e08 in front of it. anyone know a way to rename that doesnt have that?

i imagine you could integrate that into kmttg like is done in nextpvr, where there is a plugin that will properly rename the episode on transfer, maybe another suggestion for future development as i think that would be good for kmttg.
MetaGenerator3 will do what you want and save metadata files for the tivo as well as cover art for the files if you wish.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #3533
lpwcomp

Quote:

example : You have a file with a name like "south park - bass to mouth.xxx" What exactly do you want to change it to?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #3534
sanjonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
example : You have a file with a name like "south park - bass to mouth.xxx" What exactly do you want to change it to?
Actually, I found filebot, which takes a little getting used to the interface but gets exactly what I was looking for, which is basically taking my file and renaming it with episode title and number so that I could take my 288 south parks and get them organized by season and such.

I too tried the renamer, which works okay for some things, but I didn't really like that it just does it, without preview in some cases. I also tried tvrenamer which worked okay too, but needs the episode and season number to work.

I will also take a look at metagenerator 3, since I like to explore many options and fine the one that works best for me.

So the good news is filebot will take south park - bass to mouth.avi and turn it into (not sure about the true numbers since i dont have the file open) but south park S15E12 Bass to Mouth.avi.

The thing I really liked about tv renamer is it will then take the properly formatted file, look it up and move the files into folders by season and also show you the episodes you are missing. It really is pretty cool. I found several series I was missing an episode or two which were in a different folder than where they should be, so tvrenamer helped organize a bunch of stuff.

For the person who has everything in mp4 h264 (sorry, don't remember your name) I really never have a problem with streambaby and xvids and as previously mentioned, way too many problems with 264 decodes on older computers or my slower netbooks or whatever, but again, to each his own. I really do not send much back to the tivo anymore so the other convenience of mkv and/or xvid is better for me. I will say that recently, any dvds that I convert i have to use mkv format because I can then keep some structure and all commentary tracks and such in one file, which for me is the holy grail of movies, and i can link as mentioned before. Since I archive lots of movies but watch them later on (like a year later) it is nice to have everything there and easier to have it mostly in one file. That means that most of my movies at least newer ones are in 264 format, which wont play on my netbook and older computer, but I have lots of other stuff to play on it!!!!

I don't know what the WAF or WAV error was you were talking about? Maybe since I have a strong server and fast network, I don't have the problems with streambaby you have. I love it because it just works and poking around I can see some other good stuff that can be done with it too.

Going further, for downloads of shows off of tivo, there seems to be some good open source apis and code around that I think it is a good suggestion to put some renaming code into kmttg and lookup episode info and such. I would just add that as a feature suggestion, because I imagine many people would use it. Maybe just calling code to filebot or whatever would work too and I again think people would appreciate it. So there is my new suggestion.

On another note, I recently have been using nextpvr and there is a one line program that it runs to rename files in the save process with the season and episode name and number integrated into the gui, which is of course where I got the idea for adding it to kmttg.

Again thanks for eveyone's help and suggestions, maybe I will get off my lazy butt at some point and write a wiki for kmttg or add to it with all this great software and learning we share, so new persons to the program don't have to spend as much time trying out all kinds of stuff.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:51 PM   #3535
sanjonny

on another note, I think i found an interesting bug.

Recently when running a refresh of the now playing list on my tivo hd, I have somehow caused the flag for copy protection to be cleared. Which means that then it allows kmttg to download and process the file like it was not a copy protected file. it shows in the npl and will download and process.

I do not know exactly the circumstances that work, but it has happened now on at least three files and it has to be refreshed while the show is recorded. Anyone else know about this or know more about it? I of course hate my cable card restrictions so this weird bug has potential...
Old 11-12-2011, 12:05 AM   #3536
cweb

Autotune Elite ...

moyekj:

Since the Elite has four tuners does it make sense to have an option where it can autotune all four tuners?
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:21 AM   #3537
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweb View Post
moyekj:

Since the Elite has four tuners does it make sense to have an option where it can autotune all four tuners?
My impression is that very few use or even know about autotune, plus if you have Premiere/Elite TTG downloads are very fast anyway which kind of reduces the need for it. Could be updated I suppose but I don't have much incentive to do so since I don't use it and don't have or plan on getting an Elite (3 TiVos = 6 tuners is enough for me).

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #3538
jcthorne

Quote:
For the person who has everything in mp4 h264 (sorry, don't remember your name) I really never have a problem with streambaby and xvids and as previously mentioned, way too many problems with 264 decodes on older computers or my slower netbooks or whatever, but again, to each his own. I really do not send much back to the tivo anymore so the other convenience of mkv and/or xvid is better for me. I will say that recently, any dvds that I convert i have to use mkv format because I can then keep some structure and all commentary tracks and such in one file, which for me is the holy grail of movies, and i can link as mentioned before. Since I archive lots of movies but watch them later on (like a year later) it is nice to have everything there and easier to have it mostly in one file. That means that most of my movies at least newer ones are in 264 format, which wont play on my netbook and older computer, but I have lots of other stuff to play on it!!!!

I don't know what the WAF or WAV error was you were talking about? Maybe since I have a strong server and fast network, I don't have the problems with streambaby you have. I love it because it just works and poking around I can see some other good stuff that can be done with it too.
If streambaby and xvids work fine for you, then by all means use them. They work for many. Its obvious from your response that you are using DVD and SD video. Once you move to BluRay and HD material both xvid and streambaby will become FAR less useful.

WAF is Wife Acceptance Factor, a term used pretty frequently in these discussions of home theater equipment. For me, and I suspect most on this forum, this is a hobby. For my wife, its the home theater and it should 'just work'. It does. All the tinkering goes on in the background. The part she and guests see is polished and works. Every time.

My comment was with regard to streambaby needed to stop and rebuffer after every 1GB of transfer. For a BluRay movie, that can be every 10 minutes. NOT ACCEPTABLE.

You are correct my server is not a high powered pc. Power consumption alone does not allow that in my home. Ours is a Syology NAS and an old low power (35w) laptop. I wish the NAS could do it all on its own but I ran into roadblocks for music and Usenet. If the laptop is necessary, I keep it busy. The NAS maintains the 18Tb RAID array but I run nothing else on it. I should.

Your idea about kmttg doing the lookups and file naming was previously suggested and dismissed by moyekj the author. Its his project. VAP takes over and does it.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #3539
ccrider2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
My impression is that very few use or even know about autotune, plus if you have Premiere/Elite TTG downloads are very fast anyway which kind of reduces the need for it. Could be updated I suppose but I don't have much incentive to do so since I don't use it and don't have or plan on getting an Elite (3 TiVos = 6 tuners is enough for me).
*************Save Auto Tune *************

I only have an old S3, but I use it instead of switching back to the TiVo input on the TV just to change the TiVo channels.
ccrider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #3540
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider2 View Post
*************Save Auto Tune *************

"D.O.A (Death of Auto-Tune)" Official Video FINAL CUT
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote