TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #3481
txporter
One sec, almost done

AFAIK, the AVI container was never capable of handling variable framerate. So the indexing of the video for that container is likely different. I am not sure about your questions on audio. I have never done anything other than transcode the audio between formats. I have never dealt with stretching or compressing duration. I know that you have to deal with the pitch change then, but I don't know a lot about it other than what I have read on sites like videohelp.com or doom9.org. From reading, it seems like a non-trivial exercise.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #3482
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Obviously since I am using SD video, all of what has been said, does not apply to me. But thanks for the reply sanjonny.

So yeah, I have downloaded VideoRedo and pointed KMTTG to where the executable is. KMTTG calls it when the vrj file is ready, but can't process it, asking instead for an mpg or .tivo file. I need to read some more on that.

So I went back and just transcoded to an mp4 file, and ended up from a 1GB TIVO file to a 400 MB file as an mp4 file. I like that kind of reduction (obviously it stripped the commercials using Ad Cut and Ad Detect). So from an 1 hour file I ended up with just a 37 minute episode. THAT IS archivable. It sounds to me like it is. I'd rather keep the titles, and I don't know why it cut those, but... I just need to see if I can get VideoRedo to work.

I have no Sync issues. I need to understand the profiles you speak of in ff_mpeg. So what am I doing when I encode using ff_mpeg, and then using ff_mpeg, decode > (Did that describe it?) Not handbrake profiles, but ff profiles. But are you saying that handbrake handles "batch files"? I USED TO right "batch files" in a previous LIFE, so that would be up my alley. Where do you place them? Also, forgive me if I incorrectly say encoding instead of container.

Last edited by Hercules67 : 11-04-2011 at 05:34 PM. Reason: wrong word
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #3483
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
It does have the advantage of keeping the metadata and video together in one file. On the other hand, I've found that an unencrypted .mpg transfers just slightly faster than the equivalent .TiVo file.
I am just trying to save size, and trying to reduce the size of my archive.

AVI, xvid and mp4 transfer SO MUCH faster using pyTiVo though....
Old 11-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #3484
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You can use VideoReDo TVSuite to take the.tivo and .mpg files and burn to DVD and carry around a DVD Player, if you want portability. It would be lighter than carrying around a laptop.
I mean, like I said, I've done this a bit. I've saved some stuff on DVDs using Roxio 9.

I also have a hacked DVD player that will play ANYTHING. But that's not the point.

Digital storage is dirt cheap, and I envision my storing of these programs for a temporary amount of time, unless it's a movie....
Old 11-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #3485
Hercules67
TiVo addict

One last question, what wrapper is better for reduced size, and to maintain the subtitles?
Old 11-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #3486
cburbs

Hercules67 -

I use the hb_tivo_hd_crf but I changed the default quality from 21 to 24 to reduce the file size even more and don't feel like I loose video quality. I ran tests on one show from a quality of 20 - 26 to see what I liked/didn't.

If you don't care about cutting commercials out I have my Auto Transfers setup and love it as once set up you don't have to do much with it. I ran into an issue with one show where it wouldn't transfer as there was a spot in the show that would freeze up but other than that not too bad.

So with my above setting a 1/2 hr HD show went from 3.24 gb to 744mb.
An hour show goes from like 7.7gb to 1.173 gb.
I would really like a way to cut the commercials out with no work but no go. I have some kids show that work great with just comskip but other than that it is more of a manual thing to be safe.
cburbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #3487
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
So from an 1 hour file I ended up with just a 37 minute episode.
A typical 1 hour long program is approximately 46 minute of program content minus commercials. AdCut may have over extracted some content which it thinks is commercials.

Personally, I let VRD detect the commercials and I can go through them manually and verify/delete them. VRD lets you jump from 1 'detected' marker to another. Pressing F5/F6 jumps to Prev/Next marker.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:36 AM   #3488
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Where do I get t2extract?

PS. Thanks "cburbs", I'll try that profile....

PS.2 My video drive has been set-up and working. My only limitation now is processing power on video files.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #3489
cburbs

Quote:
Where do I get t2extract?

PS. Thanks "cburbs", I'll try that profile....

PS.2 My video drive has been set-up and working. My only limitation now is processing power on video files.
Yes processing power makes a huge difference - I believe you are talking about video conversion here. If so I did a comparison on a few files. See below. I also have now jumped from a 4 core to a six core processor and that cuts the decoding time almost in half again.

did a 5 minute test file a while back on 4 different machines for a handbrake encode –

MSI Atom 1.6 – 2gb
encoding job completed: 01:34:30

Asus Pentium 4 2.8 – 2gb
encoding job completed: 01:03:26

HP laptop Pentium DualCore- 1.72 – 2g
encoding job completed: 00:35:52

AMD Quad Core 260 – 4gb
encoding job completed: 00:09:54
====================================
2.19gb file test
AMD X4
>> ENCODING WITH PROFILE 'hb_high_profile'
encoding job completed: 1:22:20

AMD X6

>> ENCODING WITH PROFILE 'hb_high_profile'
encoding job completed: 0:48:20
Old 11-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #3490
cburbs

Quote:
A typical 1 hour long program is approximately 46 minute of program content minus commercials. AdCut may have over extracted some content which it thinks is commercials.

Personally, I let VRD detect the commercials and I can go through them manually and verify/delete them. VRD lets you jump from 1 'detected' marker to another. Pressing F5/F6 jumps to Prev/Next marker.

I have mine setup to pull certain shows off, convert them and then save them to my network. With videoredo could I edit out the commercials on the MKV files afterwards to save some more size on my network?
Old 11-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #3491
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post
I have mine setup to pull certain shows off, convert them and then save them to my network. With videoredo could I edit out the commercials on the MKV files afterwards to save some more size on my network?
First, you would do better to encode to a MP4 container than mkv as the former is directly compatible with tivo and can be pushed without transcoding again.

Second, you should edit the commercials / verify the ad cut points before the file is encoded to mp4, not after.

I usually let kmttg download and decrypt, do quickscan and run the ad scan. Saving the mpg and vrf files.

When I have time, I load each vrf file in VR, check or modify the edits and then use VR to finish the files. VAP as an add on can automate the saving of the edited mpg and finish the conversions if you have tv suite. I use megui to complete the encode after the mpg files are complete as I prefere its capabilities over that of tv suite.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #3492
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
First, you would do better to encode to a MP4 container than mkv as the former is directly compatible with tivo and can be pushed without transcoding again.

Second, you should edit the commercials / verify the ad cut points before the file is encoded to mp4, not after.

I usually let kmttg download and decrypt, do quickscan and run the ad scan. Saving the mpg and vrf files.

When I have time, I load each vrf file in VR, check or modify the edits and then use VR to finish the files. VAP as an add on can automate the saving of the edited mpg and finish the conversions if you have tv suite. I use megui to complete the encode after the mpg files are complete as I prefere its capabilities over that of tv suite.
I guess that's the part I still don't understand how to do. Can you explain or point me to a post that does? Thanks jcthorne.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:55 AM   #3493
jcthorne

I wizzed through a bunch of steps in that posting in a quick summery. Starting from the using kmttg to download, how far are you able to get? Lets look at this one step at a time as I do no know of a complete guide posted anywhere for all the steps. Its not hard though. Let us know and myself and others here will give you a hand. One step at a time, doing it all at once just confuses things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #3494
moyekj

v0p8k version released

v0p8k version just released with some enhancements, changes & fixes. Consult the release_notes for details.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:11 AM   #3495
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
I wizzed through a bunch of steps in that posting in a quick summery. Starting from the using kmttg to download, how far are you able to get? Lets look at this one step at a time as I do no know of a complete guide posted anywhere for all the steps. Its not hard though. Let us know and myself and others here will give you a hand. One step at a time, doing it all at once just confuses things.
Thanks jcthorne - you can send me a private message if you so feel inclined. I am slowly digesting 117 pages of the Forum.

I am trying to understand, the different "Encoding Profiles" KMTTG has available on offer for me (keep in mind, I don't have a a TiVo Premiere yet, and I understand the differences in transferring stuff to iPods, Zune, etc...). Why HB (Handbrake) vs. FF (FF_MPEG)? And the individual profiles. And how do you change the frame rate as suggested from 21 to 24? For STD definition video which is for my use, which one is best, keeping in mind, I am not creating some great video archive.

I have successfully transcoded with both, and by mistake using the HD encoding as well. I can't seem to get VideoRedo to work, and I definitely can't get CCExtract to work. Keep experimenting.

Time to install a new update.

Thanks moyekj for a great program even though I am late to the party.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #3496
cburbs

Quote:
Why before and not after the encode?
Old 11-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #3497
cburbs

Quote:
Thanks jcthorne - you can send me a private message if you so feel inclined. I am slowly digesting 117 pages of the Forum.

I am trying to understand, the different "Encoding Profiles" KMTTG has available on offer for me (keep in mind, I don't have a a TiVo Premiere yet, and I understand the differences in transferring stuff to iPods, Zune, etc...). Why HB (Handbrake) vs. FF (FF_MPEG)? And the individual profiles. And how do you change the frame rate as suggested from 21 to 24? For STD definition video which is for my use, which one is best, keeping in mind, I am not creating some great video archive.

I have successfully transcoded with both, and by mistake using the HD encoding as well. I can't seem to get VideoRedo to work, and I definitely can't get CCExtract to work. Keep experimenting.

Time to install a new update.

Thanks moyekj for a great program even though I am late to the party.
For me Encoding was experimental and chosen in the end on what I liked and what worked in my multiple setup I have. I know I dug at this for a while to.
Someone at one time posted that they liked the following - "I recommend using ff_tivo_sd for SD sources and ff_tivo_hd for HD sources."

I actually ran a test a while back on a half hour show and did the following encodes:
ff_h264_highrate
ff_tivo_hd
hb_tivo_hd
hb_tivo_hd_crf

In the end I liked the hb_tivo_hd_crf though mine is changed up in the settings a little to my likings and my setup.
I store the shows so that they can be played on multiple devices in my household - Tivo/Oppo/WDTV Live Plus. I chose MKV because that is what my Oppo can read.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #3498
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
This is where I get hung-up also.

Also, I *like* to additionally change files to .avi (smaller footprint). Which of the three files offers itself-up for this conversion better? --

1. mpg Output Directory (that's first pass transcoded ,from .tivo --> .mpg, right?)
2. .mpg Cut Directory (that's the one w/o commercials, right?)
3. Encode Output Directory (what is this file then?)

Avi.net recognizes (#1) but not (#2) and (#3). What processing steps am I missing?

I probably sound like a complete noob... Trust me, I am reading everything I can, and I have programming experience (but not in Java ** some Perl). I am just now learning this video stuff, and I've come a long way from what I knew.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #3499
cburbs

Quote:
This is where I get hung-up also.

Also, I *like* to additionally change files to .avi (smaller footprint). Which of the three files offers itself-up for this conversion better? --
1. mpg Output Directory (that's first pass transcoded ,from .tivo --> .mpg, right?)
2. .mpg Cut Directory (that's the one w/o commercials, right?)
3. Encode Output Directory (what is this file then?)

Ok on that part
1) yes
2) Correct as long as you have it setup/working correctly
3) This is your final file output - say you select ff_tivo_hd as your encoding profile this is where the final file will be saved.

I am not sure what you mean on your *.avi question.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #3500
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Because MPEG2 files are easier to edit and scan for commercials. Now that VideoRedo can handle H.264 video, it probably doesn't matter too much*.

My workflow is basically identical to what jcthorne does.

* VRD needs to be fed constant framerate video. VRD will not usually accept Handbrake transcoded video because Handbrake likes to output variable framerate H.264 files. That in itself might be the most important reason for you to edit beforehand.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #3501
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Also, I *like* to additionally change files to .avi (smaller footprint).
.AVI is not smaller than .MPG, its slightly larger, because .AVI is a wrapper of the .MPG. If you want it smaller, then its .MP4 you want. Size can be reduced to about 1/3 of the original.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 11-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #3502
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
.AVI is not smaller than .MPG, its slightly larger, because .AVI is a wrapper of the .MPG. If you want it smaller, then its .MP4 you want. Size can be reduced to about 1/3 of the original.
Aha!

And did I read somewhere that actually the included ffmpeg WILL convert to AVI as well, if you set the arguments correctly, BUT as you say why do you need to?

I see with a couple of "Covert Affairs" files I did last night, that the resultant mp4 files worked out ok (and are much smaller whether with or w/o commercials). I think I used ff_tivo_sd AND VideoRedo worked (w/o my interference). Would ff_h264_med_rate be better?

And txporter, that's what I am trying to understand, how does jcthorne's workflow go...? Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by Hercules67 : 11-07-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #3503
jcthorne

My workflow may be a bit different than some others here but, here it is:

I use kmttg to dl and decrypt the file from tivo to an mpg file.

I use VAP/Video Redo to run quickstream fix on the file and rename it with correct series, season and episode data. File is placed on my file server.

I then open the files with VAP on my laptop and let VAP do the adscan. VAP launches VR to allow me to edit the cuts and save. VAP then saves the cut file to an mpg.

I use meGUI to encode the mpeg2 files to h264/ac3 in an mp4 container.

The reason I use so many steps is that none of these utilities can do all the steps and I cannot easily edit the commercials nor encode on my file server.

kmttg cannot properly name the files. VAP/VR cannot cut commercials without user intervention, nor can they encode properly to mp4. I refuse to purchase an upgrade to TV Suite until it can encode ac3 audio for tivo. So I use meGUI for the encodes. Not just ones from tivo, but ones I get elsewere as well.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:55 PM   #3504
Hercules67
TiVo addict

A couple of quick questions come to mind:

1. What is VAP?
2. meGUI?

Are these tools I don't know about....?

Keep in mind, for our discussion purposes, I have downloaded the trial version of VideoRedo, and I don't plan on purchasing it (or the whole TV Suite), unless I see it's usefulness. I mean, as far as that goes, KMTTG can just decrypt the files for me, and I can then rename them with a diff. program, WHICH is something I want to do also. I have that problem as well. When I get out of sync with a cable series and I stop watching it, I look online at the Episode Guides, and then I'd need to rename the Episodes S2E16 (or something like that) so I can keep track of them.

I could possibly use my Roxio 9 for this, but have not attempted to yet.

Again, I am still at STD def video, but I will be purchasing a HD TiVo soon (I already have the cable card).

I have been using:
ff_tivo_sd
ff_h264_med_rate
hb_tivo_sd
Old 11-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #3505
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Strictly speaking, I am experiencing a different problem this morning:

The following error has occured:
Quote:
>> Running qsfix on I:\VIDEO\KMTTG\mpg Output Directory\Life After People - ''Sky's the Limit'' (Recorded Mar 2, 2010, HISTORY).mpg ...
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe //nologo C:\KMTTG\VRDscripts\qsfix.vbs "I:\VIDEO\KMTTG\mpg Output Directory\Life After People - ''Sky's the Limit'' (Recorded Mar 2, 2010, HISTORY).mpg" "I:\VIDEO\KMTTG\mpg Output Directory\Life After People - ''Sky's the Limit'' (Recorded Mar 2, 2010, HISTORY).mpg.qsfix" /l:C:\DOCUME~1\Mike\LOCALS~1\Temp\VRDLock8841121609031155015. tmp /x:480 /y:480
qsfix failed (exit code: 0 ) - check command: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe //nologo C:\KMTTG\VRDscripts\qsfix.vbs "I:\VIDEO\KMTTG\mpg Output Directory\Life After People - ''Sky's the Limit'' (Recorded Mar 2, 2010, HISTORY).mpg" "I:\VIDEO\KMTTG\mpg Output Directory\Life After People - ''Sky's the Limit'' (Recorded Mar 2, 2010, HISTORY).mpg.qsfix" /l:C:\DOCUME~1\Mike\LOCALS~1\Temp\VRDLock8841121609031155015. tmp /x:480 /y:480
C:\KMTTG\VRDscripts\qsfix.vbs(60, 4) Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Object doesn't support this property or method: 'VideoReDo.SetFilterDimensions'
Then the next file that went in for processing has been running for 10 hours and 20 minutes:

Quote:
>> Running adscan on I:\VIDEO\KMTTG\mpg Output Directory\Life After People - ''Sky's the Limit'' (Recorded Mar 2, 2010, HISTORY).mpg ...
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe //nologo C:\KMTTG\VRDscripts\adscan.vbs "I:\VIDEO\KMTTG\mpg Output Directory\Life After People - ''Sky's the Limit'' (Recorded Mar 2, 2010, HISTORY).mpg" "I:\VIDEO\KMTTG\mpg Output Directory\Life After People - ''Sky's the Limit'' (Recorded Mar 2, 2010, HISTORY).VPrj" /l:C:\DOCUME~1\Mike\LOCALS~1\Temp\VRDLock1990840470093649630. tmp
I can't figure out why... I killed it.

But why doesn't it like VRD QSFix? Running it the wrong place?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #3506
moyekj

Quote:
Strictly speaking, I am experiencing a different problem this morning:

The following error has occured:

Then the next file that went in for processing has been running for 10 hours and 20 minutes:

I can't figure out why... I killed it.

But why doesn't it like VRD QSFix? Running it the wrong place?
You're probably running old version of VRD that doesn't support video dimension filtering through COM. You can turn it off in kmttg config->VideoRedo: unselect "Enable VideoRedo QS Fix video dimension filter"

If you do plan on editing/re-encoding files originating from TiVo series 3 or later VRD qsfix is pretty much a must otherwise you will most likey run into A/V sync issues or worse.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #3507
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
You're probably running old version of VRD that doesn't support video dimension filtering through COM. You can turn it off in kmttg config->VideoRedo: unselect "Enable VideoRedo QS Fix video dimension filter"

If you do plan on editing/re-encoding files originating from TiVo series 3 or later VRD qsfix is pretty much a must otherwise you will most likey run into A/V sync issues or worse.
I downloaded your updated version of KMTTG. What is the best way to update the program? Do a new install, OR replace files in place?
Old 11-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #3508
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I would simply replace the file kmttg.jar.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 11-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #3509
moyekj

Quote:
I downloaded your updated version of KMTTG. What is the best way to update the program? Do a new install, OR replace files in place?
Best way is unzip over existing installation and let it overwrite all files. kmttg.jar is the main file but sometimes (as with last release) other files get updated as well.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:47 AM   #3510
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post

It (VRD) says I am running version 2.5.6.512, Is that incorrect?