TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-31-2011, 01:16 AM   #3451
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkwst2 View Post
Hello,

I used to use kmttg with my Tivo HD without problems. I recently upgraded to a Tivo Premiere, and I keep getting the following message:

Failed to retrieve Now Playing List from DVR-0F91
Exit code: 35
Check YOUR MAK & IP settings

curl: (35) Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to 10.10.10.122:443

As far as I can tell, MAK and IP settings are correct. IP was autodetected. If I switch to Java method, I also get a failure. Seems to be some communication issue, but it can retrieve the iPad remote stuff just fine. Anyone have any ideas? I tried disabling the firewall, but that didn't help.

Since you have the newer Tivo, have you gone to tivo.com, login, and then to DVR Preferences and confirmed that TRANSFERS and DOWNLOADS have been checked for it?

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:57 AM   #3452
kkwst2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Do you have the options set properly for the new TiVo on your account at tivo.com?
Thanks for the response. I have "video sharing" and "enable video downloads" checked under DVR preferences, and I have Network Remote enabled on the Tivo box. Is there another setting I'm missing?
kkwst2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:20 AM   #3453
sanjonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ig88 View Post
It was just a matter of setting the interlacing setting properly for playback on VNC like the previous poster suggested.

Now I just have to find a way to build that process into the re-encoding process so that it will play back cleaned up on the iDevices.

I haven't looked, but I assume that handbrake can do that.
I highly suggest you try out rebox.net or maybe video.net. Rebox is specifically designed to take almost any video and output it to os devices and android and does it quickly. Video.net allows more control and conversion options. Both include deinterlace or automatic deinterlace. If you are just goingto watch off your home server, you don't need to convert, assuming you have an okay processor and network connection, you can run something like vlc streamer or video stream from the app store and convert on the fly.

That way you only convert the shows you want to watch and you can run it remotely. If you want to take shows with you and are going somewhere you don't have an Internet connection, you run rebox.net, if you are just going to watch them around the house or where you have a good Internet connection, then vlc streamer works good and you keep your better quality for when you want to send the shows back to your TiVo. http://www.clonead.co.uk/ is where video.net and rebox live, both are free. The streamers are in the app store.
sanjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:45 AM   #3454
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkwst2 View Post
Thanks for the response. I have "video sharing" and "enable video downloads" checked under DVR preferences, and I have Network Remote enabled on the Tivo box. Is there another setting I'm missing?
The only thing I can suggest is make sure that the TiVo can access the network, that the TiVo has the same IP address and MAK that you have in kmttg. Does pyTivo see the TiVo?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:03 PM   #3455
kkwst2

Rest and Reset fixed it...

Quote:
The only thing I can suggest is make sure that the TiVo can access the network, that the TiVo has the same IP address and MAK that you have in kmttg. Does pyTivo see the TiVo?
Well bizarre. pyTivo was seeing the Tivo fine and I could send shows to it with no problem.

It ended up working after I unplugged the Tivo and left it off for 20 minutes and plugged it back in. I had turned it off for a minute and plugged it back in and it still wasn't working. Don't see how it could matter how long I keep it off, but I found a thread in the Tivo forum where that was suggested to fix a connection problem for Tivo Desktop. Seems somehow the Tivo had flaked out and needed reset.
kkwst2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:54 PM   #3456
lpwcomp

Could have possibly been a network/IP address issue.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:07 PM   #3457
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
EDIT: If you have combined java download/decrypt set I can see that is the case and workaround is not to use combined download/decrypt. (I don't like/use combined download/decrypt plus use VRD for my decrypts, so don't test it very thoroughly, but fix for that is already checked in for next release).
Yeah, that's the issue I was running into.. combined download/decrypt.

Thanks..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #3458
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by ig88 View Post
It was just a matter of setting the interlacing setting properly for playback on VNC like the previous poster suggested.

Now I just have to find a way to build that process into the re-encoding process so that it will play back cleaned up on the iDevices.

I haven't looked, but I assume that handbrake can do that.
Yes, Handbrake can handle deinterlacing (and inverse telecine [removing the 3:2 pulldown]). More likely than not, you actually need inverse telecining on your video, not deinterlacing. Most everything in the States is now shot on film (24fps) and then pulled down to 29.97fps for broadcast.

At any rate, I built an encoding profile for kmttg that uses Handbrake to do this.

hb_tivo_sd_crf - use this one for SD video
hb_tivo_hd_crf - use this one for HD video

They basically process video through Handbrake using the settings for Handbrake's High Profile encode. That includes the flags to inverse telecine and decomb. The profiles are quality based rather than bitrate targeted. The bitrate will vary depending on the quality of the input video stream, but the output are targeted to show consistent quality regardless of input stream.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #3459
ig88

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
Yes, Handbrake can handle deinterlacing (and inverse telecine [removing the 3:2 pulldown]). More likely than not, you actually need inverse telecining on your video, not deinterlacing. Most everything in the States is now shot on film (24fps) and then pulled down to 29.97fps for broadcast.

At any rate, I built an encoding profile for kmttg that uses Handbrake to do this.

hb_tivo_sd_crf - use this one for SD video
hb_tivo_hd_crf - use this one for HD video

They basically process video through Handbrake using the settings for Handbrake's High Profile encode. That includes the flags to inverse telecine and decomb. The profiles are quality based rather than bitrate targeted. The bitrate will vary depending on the quality of the input video stream, but the output are targeted to show consistent quality regardless of input stream.
Very informative and helpful!
Series IV XL
OS X, iPad, iPad2
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:29 PM   #3460
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Well, I have been following the discussion for about three weeks, and I have downloaded the 116 pages, but to be honest I have not done a serious search for what I am looking for, so if this has been answered, my apologies, you can "boot" me out, yell at me, or if you're nice, point me to the right post. In my defense, I did have a surgery a week and a half ago that interfered with what I was trying to do, and the after-effects are still bothering me...

So on to what I need to ask:
1. Point 1: I only have to Series 2 TiVos with the plan to purchase a TiVo Premiere soon as I already have the Cable Card (my High Def TV has a slot for it, so that's how I watch High Definition programs -- mostly athletic competitions). I can not record anything in High Def.
2. The TiVos have not been hacked in any way and the Hard Drives have not been upgraded in any way, but I am thinking of putting a 200 GB into one and a 160GB into the other one (they're laying around). That's besides the point.
3. I have pyTivo installed. Works great for Getting Video from the PC to the TiVos.
4. I have TiVo Desktop installed (almost 800 GB of Video in this archive now).
5. I have Roxio Media Creator 9. In the past I had bought this, and had transferred the entire 1st season of Heroes on DVD with so-so success. To be honest, I don't really care to do that, as I since bought the DVDs for "Heroes", and that's my real archive there, but here's what happens.
6. Occasionally, I fall behind on a series I am watching, like Burn Notice, so I transfer the episodes to the PC (I have specifically bought a 2 TB HDD for this). This allows me to save them and watch them later.

What I need to know is this:

a) What is the best encoding to use with KMTTG? (Especially since I just show a post discussing Handbrake sd vs. hd).
b) I am planning to use pyTivo to then retrieve the episodes back when I am ready to watch them as I have always done.
c) I'd love to cut the commercials out -- use VideoRedo for that?
d) Is turning a file to an AVI make it smaller and maintain quality (since when I run pyTivo ffmpeg will re-process it back to what I need?)

Basically what I want to do, in "My Video" directory, I want to have a sub-directory with "Burn Notice" episodes, and sub-directory with something else, etc.

Does anything of what I wrote make sense?

How do I do it the best way? Can someone guide me?

Thanks!

(PS. I love the program, I have used already, to save a couple of programs, but so far have not played with the output files too much, until I learn more).
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #3461
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

The video are .mpg with .tivo wrapper/encoded, .avi is also a wrapper.

If you want to make the files smaller, you need to convert to .mp4.

~~~~~

Old 11-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #3462
ig88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
What I need to know is this:

a) What is the best encoding to use with KMTTG? (Especially since I just show a post discussing Handbrake sd vs. hd).
b) I am planning to use pyTivo to then retrieve the episodes back when I am ready to watch them as I have always done.
c) I'd love to cut the commercials out -- use VideoRedo for that?
d) Is turning a file to an AVI make it smaller and maintain quality (since when I run pyTivo ffmpeg will re-process it back to what
Generically speaking:
First of all, people all have their personal quirks, so there are going to be different opionions here, based on personalities – there is no right/wrong answer.

Any time you encode something, you are going to lose some quality

You already read about the SD vs HD issue. Obviously, HD Is gonna be better in most ways.

However, the specific problem I was having with SD was playback on the computer, because the computer software wasn't automatically doing some video cleanup that my TV was. But you aren't going to have that problem if your intention is just to offload from TiVo for storage to be later played back on TiVo when you are ready to watch – it is going to look as good as it presently does from your TiVo, so don't sweat the small stuff.

Regarding stripping commercials, it can be hit or miss. Lots of misses. And it can take a relative amount of time and effort. To me, I would look at it this way:
Keep it simple.
Pull it off the TiVo, archive it, put it back on when you are ready to watch.
Simple, not time consuming.
Will always work.
No video loss.
And you can spend your time doing other things.

You can just use the traditional TiVo tools to ff/skip commercials.

My 2˘
Series IV XL
OS X, iPad, iPad2
Old 11-02-2011, 09:02 PM   #3463
moyekj

I agree with ig88. If the intent is to watch the videos on a TiVo at a later date then just leave them as .TiVo files (no need to even decrypt them to .mpg). No loss of quality and no hassles. Then you can use pyTivo to pull or push them to viewing TiVo as necessary and skip commercials using FF, 30s, etc. With Premieres the transfer speeds are much faster than Series 2 TiVos so even HD .TiVo files transfer quicker than you can watch them.

Perhaps one thing that will help if you have lots of downloads and want kmttg to auto-categorize them into folders is use folder keyword in file naming configuration option. See Wiki for more details (look at File Naming section):
http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/wiki/configuring_kmttg
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 11-02-2011 at 09:10 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #3464
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
I agree with ig88. If the intent is to watch the videos on a TiVo at a later date then just leave them as .TiVo files (no need to even decrypt them to .mpg). No loss of quality and no hassles. Then you can use pyTivo to pull or push them to viewing TiVo as necessary and skip commercials using FF, 30s, etc. With Premieres the transfer speeds are much faster than Series 2 TiVos so even HD .TiVo files transfer quicker than you can watch them.

Perhaps one thing that will help if you have lots of downloads and want kmttg to auto-categorize them into folders is use folder keyword in file naming configuration option. See Wiki for more details (look at File Naming section):
http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/wiki/configuring_kmttg
Great answers, especially yours moyeki! Much appreciated.

Ok, let me get a little bit more specific. You're probably right, and skipping commercials doesn't really bother me with the hacks in place. what I am worried about, is archive size. Over the last 3 years for example I've been saving Christmas shows for the kids, nephews and nieces. They've been set aside and they can view them any time they want, not when the networks show them. I mentioned Burn Notice, but for example with Merlin, I have 3 seasons I am behind. So the size is of the archive... Anyway. Thanks for the help guys. I'll play with Handbrake and the other encodings and see what I get.

Much appreciated!
Old 11-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #3465
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
The video are .mpg with .tivo wrapper/encoded, .avi is also a wrapper.

If you want to make the files smaller, you need to convert to .mp4.
Thank you!
Old 11-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #3466
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
If the intent is to watch the videos on a TiVo at a later date then just leave them as .TiVo files (no need to even decrypt them to .mpg).
It does have the advantage of keeping the metadata and video together in one file. On the other hand, I've found that an unencrypted .mpg transfers just slightly faster than the equivalent .TiVo file.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #3467
sanjonny

Quote:

Ok, let me get a little bit more specific. You're probably right, and skipping commercials doesn't really bother me with the hacks in place. what I am worried about, is archive size. Over the last 3 years for example I've been saving Christmas shows for the kids, nephews and nieces. They've been set aside and they can view them any time they want, not when the networks show them. I mentioned Burn Notice, but for example with Merlin, I have 3 seasons I am behind. So the size is of the archive... Anyway. Thanks for the help guys. I'll play with Handbrake and the other encodings and see what I get.

Much appreciated!
Scroll back a bit and check out a few tools I suggested. If you want to edit out commercials and really who likes skipping commercials (#1 reason I still have my replay tv) I would suggest video redo. What I do is use the automated tools in kmttg to fix and adscan. I then manually open the adscan files later in videoredo ( I can do like 20 shows in a few minutes) to check the accuracy of the cuts save the project file and then go back to automated kmttg to cut the commercials using kmttg. I also do the same thing for my replaytv shows and others. So I basically batch download a bunch of files and process them to a point in kmttg, wait till I have a bunch to work on, open them and double check the commercial detection, save them, then batch cut and do whatever other process I need to archive them. For most shows I then run them thru avi.net to convert/shrink to xvid and discard to original tivo mpg to history. My server thanks me as I can take say 40 gb of TiVo mpg and shrink it to 4-8 gb with either low or no perceptible quality loss.

I agree that feeding back unencrypted mpgs is a bit better on the network side of things. If you are using xvid Avis, you have to use stream baby to view on the TiVo, but not on the computer or most set top boxes.

If you are already pullingthe files off and plan to keep them awhile, the commercial editing is painless with the manual though quick step. If you want to then save space, I highly recommend the xvid codec and the tools mentioned before, since it plays great on computers and the tivos and other devices with minimal conversion. Unfortunately, if you use h264 to shrink your files or mp4 style, many computers will spend lots of time decoding them resulting in stutters and all that. Xvid doesn't have that problem. I use a set top box that hardware decodes everything, so that isn't an issue, but if I want to play back the file at a later date on my net book, I shrink it using avi.net/xvid. You can save lots of space with minimal quality loss especially if you use the defaults in avi.net, though sometime it calculates based on minutes so a file that is 45 minutes it might tell you to use 700mb when a 44 minute file would be 350, so after a bit of experience you learn to set it at 350. I find for SD content, the quality loss is not even noticeable converting to xvid/avi from SD TiVo but can take a 1.5 gb file down to 300 mb. For HD it is even more efficient. And pretty fast too, if you have a bit of processor power, much faster than the built in encoders in video redo or handbrake.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #3468
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:

Much appreciated!
Things to consider when moving from S2 to something like a Premiere, if most of the stuff you want to transfer is on cable networks (USA/BBC, etc) then moving away from analog recording (S2) to digital recording (Premiere with cable card) will most likely kill your ability to download those shows to your computer. Many Some cable providers do not allow transfers on anything but network shows.

As far as commercial removal goes, videoredo is definitely the way to go. There is a tool that comes with VRD that is really irreplaceable for Tivo video editting (Quick Stream Fix...fixes video time stamp errors that cause A/V desync). I end up downloading, decrypting and ad scanning shows using kmttg. I then manually check commercial cuts using VRD and save cut files from there (rather than having kmttg scan and cut without checking). It normally takes me about 2-3 minutes to verify/modify the commercial cuts per 1 hr episode. I then manually transcode from that point. You can easily bring those cut videos back in kmttg and use one of the encoding profiles from there. Or you can open the video in Handbrake...or MeGUI or command line tools. There are a lot of choices.

Personally, I would transcode to H.264/MP4 with either AAC or AC3 audio. I wouldn't go the MPEG4/AVI route. There is just more support for MP4 files nowadays and the compression is better. It is more demanding on systems for decode, but that isn't much of a problem anymore. For removing inverse telecine or deinterlacing from video while transcoding to H.264/MP4, I think you will find Handbrake easier than most other conversion GUIs.

Last edited by txporter : 11-03-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #3469
lpwcomp

Some cable companies are setting the CC1 flag on just about everything. Some aren't. Unless you have actual figures to back it up, the statement that most are is pure speculation.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #3470
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Some cable companies are setting the CC1 flag on just about everything. Some aren't. Unless you have actual figures to back it up, the statement that most are is pure speculation.
Edited. Happy?
Old 11-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #3471
ig88

Quote:
...what I am worried about, is archive size. Over the last 3 years for example I've been saving Christmas shows for the kids, nephews and nieces. They've been set aside and they can view them any time they want, not when the networks show them. ... I have 3 seasons I am behind. So the size is of the archive...
Couple of other thoughts here:

If you are REALLY going to watch those shows, its one thing. But if you have so many years of so many shows that you are behind, might need to ask yourself if it's realistic.

Meanwhile, here is another consideration - maybe look at the problem from a different angle:
a) Maybe you have some old unused hard drives laying around that can be used to offload the - we only watch this once a year, seasonally content, freeing up that space on your main argive

b) Purchase something like a four- or eight-bay Drobo. That way you could invest in one hardware storage system, and as you start to outgrow it you can expand by adding additional drives, and/or bigger drives
Series IV XL
OS X, iPad, iPad2
Old 11-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #3472
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
Edited. Happy?
Ecstatic.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #3473
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Just to be a little more specific:
If your cable co is Time Warner, the probability of copy protection on all but local stations is 100% or darn close to it.

There is a thread where user reports of copy protection for various cable cos and regions are tracked:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?t=451107\

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #3474
innocentfreak

Missing Remote also maintains a list since some people were asking before using Sage TV with CableCARD tuners.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #3475
Hercules67
TiVo addict

I am ecstatic with the answers I have received. Thanks guys.

To be honest, I too don't know whether I'll ever catch up with a show I'm 3 years behind on. On the other hand, My wife is facing surgery, and so am I, so we'll be home bound for about a month soon, so that might be what we'll be watching.

Still, I am going to experiment with mp4 and avi as well and see what makes me happier. Obviously, KMTTG doesn't convert to AVI so I need to get some additional tools here.

Thanks for the insight.

My PC is dedicated to converting video, but it is a couple of years older....
Old 11-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #3476
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You can use VideoReDo TVSuite to take the.tivo and .mpg files and burn to DVD and carry around a DVD Player, if you want portability. It would be lighter than carrying around a laptop.

~~~~~

Old 11-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #3477
moyekj

Quote:
Obviously, KMTTG doesn't convert to AVI so I need to get some additional tools here.
You can look look at ff_zen profile in kmttg which does create mpeg4 video in avi container using ffmpeg and then perhaps make your own custom encoding profile based on that (copy encode\ff_zen.enc to a different name and edit that file). With kmttg you can basically create any format that ffmpeg, handbrake or any other batch encoder supports since you can create your own encoding profile.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #3478
sanjonny

Quote:
You can look look at ff_zen profile in kmttg which does create mpeg4 video in avi container using ffmpeg and then perhaps make your own custom encoding profile based on that (copy encode\ff_zen.enc to a different name and edit that file). With kmttg you can basically create any format that ffmpeg, handbrake or any other batch encoder supports since you can create your own encoding profile.
I am still playing a bit with profiles, batch files and front ends, but one thing I have found and not quite sure why, is that when I use the handbrake profiles I sometimes suffer out of sync audio or other issues (I qsfix everything) but I never have run into that with either of the two main tools I use to convert to xvid or mp4 or mkv. I know that there is some error checking the guy who wrote the programs has built in to fix that, but I have not gotten a response yet on exactly what it is.

I will also throw back my two cents about the h264 vs xvid. H264 is more efficient, but I truly cannot play the videos at all on some of my older devices like an older laptop or even my less than a year old net book due to stuttering and such, and encoding/decoding takes double to triple program time on my quad core 3 ghz computer at 100 % utilization. For xvid conversion of hidef it takes about half program time, so most of my tivo downloads are converted to xvid. Mp4 is a container, (getting into a whole world of confusion of container vs encoding) and quite frankly, I find for h264 encodes, it is much better to use the mkv container instead, because it allows multiple audio streams and linking chapters and all that, which means in one file i can have subtitles, director commentary and other audio streams. Mp4 doesn't allow that, only one audio stream and I can't remember about subtitles) The linking thing in mkv/matroska is cool too for example if you have several episodes that all have the same beginning, you can save that part only once (say for BS Galactica) for the whole season and then you have that one file play at the correct point for each episode, but don't use the space up since for 16 episodes, the 2 minute segment is the same so you just call that link and save 32 minutes of disk space.

Once you have a h264 file in a mp4 or mkv container, you can usually switch containers easily without much processing time, it's getting it into the 264 format that is the problem.

On size difference, I find that the savings in general is not worth the extra encoding time. For example, a hd 30 minute program that I compress down to say 300 mb on xvid could basically go down to about 200 mb in h264 with about the same quality, (really it is more like 250 for h264 vs 300 for xvid but slight format changes occur) but one encode takes 15 minutes and the other takes about an hour and 8 minutes. That adds up when you start doing a lot of encoding. BUT, I have a new device the hauppauge 1212 that hardware encodes in h264 on the fly. Most of those files I then might repackage in a mkv container but I cannot play them on my net book or such. I specifically got that device because of the cable card nonsense with blocking channels which is variable thru the country. I am about half blocked, my friend has a cable system that blocks everything but the local hd and a friend has Nothing blocked ( boy would that not be nice)

Since I have spent a lot of time testing out these various things, I have become really familiar with many tools and formats good and bad, I am not really biased on anything other than I have tried them all and ended up where I am at. If I could solve my random sync issues with kmttg encodes, I would probably do all my regular encodes that way (I think I could do xvid thru it with the right profile setup) but part of the reason I think the say avi.net tool works so well is it examines each file (automated thru index.net) and you set the encode by hand for specifics related to that file and then batch encode. My guess is, in that process it corrects the audio sync that handbrake doesn't do in mass encode format. I might be wrong on that, still learning, but all the built in profiles and even some of my own in kmttg encoded do randomly ha e audio sync problems. And again I don't know about xvid encoding, haven't researched that yet, working on other things but I think at worst I can have kmttg call up index.net to run on each file when I get back to that. I am still working on getting kmttg to deal with new formats from the 1212 both h264 .m2ts (bluray) and .ts (h264 transport stream)

above all, kmttg is the BEST software out there for what it does, and moyekj continually makes it better and fixes bugs, which is even better. I am going above and beyond what it is designed to do, however anyone who archives their video files will start hitting the same walls I am hitting and want to find legal workarounds (the 1212 is one till they close up the analog component outputs) for cable card nonsense.

And just so you understand, I know exactly where you are coming from. I started out archiving Xmas shows for my wife, and when I got my tivo hd I got better quality shows via digital, which she and my nieces and nephews appreciate every year. Being a long time replaytv devotee, I used wirns which is like kmttg for replaytv though it focuses more on channel guides and recordings than downloads and processing and when I got the TiVo I looked for something similar and that is how I found kmttg, which now is getting into the scheduling and channel guides and such.

Now I archive lots of shows for the series I like, most of them I watch over and over again.

It all started with saving some Xmas shows...then Charlie brown, then I thought, hey what about south park for me, I love watching this reruns and years later, look what happened....
Old 11-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #3479
txporter
One sec, almost done

@sanjonny-

The audio desync issues in Handbrake are most likely due to the way it handles hybrid video (video with varying framerates). Many shows are filmed at 24p but include CGI graphics at a different framerate or include interlaced credits at 29.97fps or if you don't edit out commercials than you can get 29.97fps segments. There are a lot of different scenarios. But the main issue is that Handbrake is perfectly happy to transcode with variable framerates. It is actually pretty difficult to get it to NOT do that (transcode with constant framerate). The sync timing is many times affected by this.

I run all of my Tivo transcodes through command line batch files. I have found my best results using avisynth and some encoding tool rather than using a GUI. It's more work though.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #3480
sanjonny

Thanks txporter, so of course my question is, if handbrake can deal with the varying frame rates and such, why can't it also adjust the audio? It seems to be a pretty intelligent tool, but i know after reading many forums that this is an ongoing thing with the sync issues. I guess I don't completely understand qsfix in video redo either because I thought it basically if you selected the right stream option corrected the variances in recording by forcing it all to one resolution, but maybe it doesn't fix framerate? the weird thing is, I believe avi.net is basically a gui front end for handbrake using the xvid converter, but it never has sync issues, so somehow he fixed that. Again I have asked how but have not heard back.