TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-16-2015, 02:39 PM   #1
DoubleDAZ

Metadata For TiVo Desktop and pyTivo (Update-It's working now)

title : <movie title>
seriesTitle : Movies
episodeTitle : <movie title> (<year>)
time : 2014-05-21T00:00:00Z
seriesId : SH00900001
description : <.....varies.....>
isEpisode : true
originalAirDate : 2012-06-08T00:00:00Z
isEpisodic : true

I used this format last May to upload 73 recordings to a "Movies" folder, 13 to a "Home Movies" folder and 8 to an "RR Movies" folder. I only altered the title, episodeTitle and the last digit of the seriesId (1, 2 or 3). Unfortunately, now that I want to add some new recordings, they no longer go into the "Movies" folder on the Roamio Pro. They all go into a folder with the title up the first recording that gets uploaded. For example, if I first upload "Battleship", it shows up in the My Shows list as "Movies". When I begin to upload "The Natural", the folder name changes to "Battleship". Then, within that folder is a recording of "Battleship" as well as "The Natural".

I tried changing a few things and my changes didn't help. I did upload the movies individually using their titles, so I can watch them just fine. My original plan was to separate them into groups, like Movies A-C, D-F, etc. I tried altering the date/time to see if I could force them into a sequence, like TV episodes However, no amount of tweaking the date or time seemed to do what I wanted, probably because they all have different titles. So, I then took care to upload the original recordings in alpha sequence. If these new ones had gone into the existing folder, they would be out of sequence, so my question now is what can I do to even get these into a new folder, say "Movies 2"?

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: I changed "Movies" to "Movies2" and the end of the seriesId from "01" to "10". I now have 2 recordings in the Movies2 folder. So, the metadata structure I've been using still works, just not for adding new recordings to the original Movies folder. Not sure why.

Last edited by DoubleDAZ : 01-18-2015 at 09:31 PM.
DoubleDAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:18 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
If you enable the 3 pane view on the Roamio there is a Movies filter. Couldn't you just flag the uploads as movies and then use that to filter them?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:16 PM   #3
DoubleDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
If you enable the 3 pane view on the Roamio there is a Movies filter. Couldn't you just flag the uploads as movies and then use that to filter them?
I'm not sure how to flag something as a Movie (or anything else for that matter), but the 2 movies I uploaded without putting them into the same folder don't show up in the Movies filter. As you can probably tell I'm not all that familiar with metadata. However, your comment spurred me to do some further checking and I finally found where I got the sample I've been using (pyTivo Wiki Metadata page). From what I've been able to gather there, I should have used MV to identify them as movies and I'm trying that now. So far the one I'm uploading is still filtering as a TV Show, so I'm going to take out the episode stuff and see if that works. The goal was to not have a long list, but I think the filter might work better and let me sort them. I'll post back after I try a few things. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:31 PM   #4
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
I'm not sure how to flag something as a Movie (or anything else for that matter), but the 2 movies I uploaded without putting them into the same folder don't show up in the Movies filter. As you can probably tell I'm not all that familiar with metadata. However, your comment spurred me to do some further checking and I finally found where I got the sample I've been using (pyTivo Wiki Metadata page). From what I've been able to gather there, I should have used MV to identify them as movies and I'm trying that now. So far the one I'm uploading is still filtering as a TV Show, so I'm going to take out the episode stuff and see if that works. The goal was to not have a long list, but I think the filter might work better and let me sort them. I'll post back after I try a few things. Thanks.
Were these pushes or pulls?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:54 PM   #5
DoubleDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Were these pushes or pulls?
I'm using the TiVo to "pull" them from the videos folder on my laptop. I have since edited the metadata file to more accurately mirror the example on the Wiki page and not try to put them in a "Movies" folder on the TiVo like I have been. I changed the seriesId to "MV000001" too, but the file I transferred still shows up under the TV Shows filter and not the Movie filter. Here's the metadata (without the description, etc.) I'm going to try again in the morning when the TiVo is not busy recording.

title : Jersey Boys
seriesTitle : Jersey Boys (2014)
episodeTitle :
movieYear : 2014
isEpisode : false
seriesId : MV000001
time : 2015-01-01T00:00:00Z
Old 01-17-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
lpwcomp

Quote:
I'm using the TiVo to "pull" them from the videos folder on my laptop. I have since edited the metadata file to more accurately mirror the example on the Wiki page and not try to put them in a "Movies" folder on the TiVo like I have been. I changed the seriesId to "MV000001" too, but the file I transferred still shows up under the TV Shows filter and not the Movie filter. Here's the metadata (without the description, etc.) I'm going to try again in the morning when the TiVo is not busy recording.

title : Jersey Boys
seriesTitle : Jersey Boys (2014)
episodeTitle :
movieYear : 2014
seriesId : MV000001
time : 2015-01-01T00:00:00Z
You want both title and seriesTitle to be the name of the group you want it to be in. episodeTitle should be the name of the movie. Take out movieYear and replace it with originalAirDate.

What I do is put all of the movies I want in the same group in the same folder on my PC. Then I put a default.txt file in the folder with the common information.

For example, I have a folder named "Harry Potter Movies" in one of my shares. In that folder, I have a default.txt file that contains:

Spoiler:
Code:
title :  Harry Potter Movies
seriesTitle : Harry Potter Movies
seriesId : HP01234567 
time : OAD
starRating : x6 
vProgramGenre : Children & Family Movies 
vProgramGenre : Sci-Fi & Fantasy 
vProgramGenre : Movies based on children's books 
vProgramGenre : Family Features 
vProgramGenre : Fantasy 
vProgramGenre : Family Sci-Fi & Fantasy

The metadata file for the first movie is:

Spoiler:
Code:
episodeTitle : Harry Potter and the Philosophers's Stone 
originalAirDate : 2001-11-16T12:00:00Z
description : Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. IMDB: 7.2/10
episodeNumber : 1
vProgramGenre : Adventure
vProgramGenre : Family
vSeriesGenre : Adventure
vSeriesGenre : Family
vSeriesGenre : Fantasy
vDirector : Chris Columbus|
vWriter : J.K. Rowling|
vWriter : Steve Kloves|
vActor : Richard Harris|
vActor : Maggie Smith|
vActor : Robbie Coltrane|
vActor : Saunders Triplets|
vActor : Daniel Radcliffe|
vActor : Fiona Shaw|
vActor : Harry Melling|
vActor : Richard Griffiths|
vActor : Derek Deadman|
vActor : Ian Hart|
vActor : Ben Borowiecki|
vActor : Warwick Davis|
vActor : Verne Troyer|
vActor : John Hurt|
vActor : Richard Bremmer|
vActor : Geraldine Somerville|
vActor : Harry Taylor|
vActor : Julie Walters|
vActor : Bonnie Wright|
vActor : Chris Rankin|
vActor : James Phelps|
vActor : Oliver Phelps|
vActor : Rupert Grint|
vActor : Jean Southern|
vActor : Emma Watson|
vActor : Matthew Lewis|
vActor : Tom Felton|
vActor : Jamie Waylett|
vActor : Josh Herdman|
vActor : Devon Murray|
vActor : Alfie Enoch|
vActor : Leslie Phillips|
vActor : Eleanor Columbus|
vActor : John Cleese|
vActor : Terence Bayler|
vActor : Simon Fisher-Becker|
vActor : Nina Young|
vActor : David Bradley|
vActor : Alan Rickman|
vActor : Zoë Wanamaker|
vActor : Luke Youngblood|
vActor : Sean Biggerstaff|
vActor : Elizabeth Spriggs|
vActor : Danielle Tabor|
vActor : Leilah Sutherland|
vActor : Emily Dale|
vActor : David Holmes|
vActor : Will Theakston|
vActor : Scot Fearn|
vActor : Adrian Rawlins|
vActor : Ray Fearon|
vActor : David Brett|
vActor : Paul Marc Davis|
vActor : David William James Elliott|
vActor : Holly-Ann Filtness|
vActor : Derek Hough|
vActor : Julianne Hough|
vActor : Will Howes|
vActor : Kieri Kennedy|
vActor : Oliver Lavery-Farag|
vActor : Cath Peakin|
vActor : Amy Puglia|
vActor : Nicholas Read|
vActor : Richard Reid|
vActor : Bianca Sowerby|
vActor : Bernadette Jane Vanderkar|
image : Harry Potter  and the Philosophers's Stone.avi.jpg

edit: I realize this is addressing your original desire to group them rather than having them identified as movies.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:48 AM   #7
DoubleDAZ

Quote:
You want both title and seriesTitle to be the name of the group you want it to be in. episodeTitle should be the name of the movie. Take out movieYear and replace it with originalAirDate.

What I do is put all of the movies I want in the same group in the same folder on my PC. Then I put a default.txt file in the folder with the common information.

For example, I have a folder named "Harry Potter Movies" in one of my shares. In that folder, I have a default.txt file that contains:

edit: I realize this is addressing your original desire to group them rather than having them identified as movies.
That's quite alright, James, I'm open to doing it either way and actually prefer the original. I didn't realize I could use a default.txt file for all the files in a given folder. My concern though is the sequence of the files within the group. When you view the Harry Potter group on the TiVo, what sequence are the files in? Does the episodeNumber have any impact? Or does the originalAirDate? Or is it simply the order in which they are uploaded?

Right now the 73 files in my Movies group are in alpha sequence, but only because I took pains to upload them that way. Since I also have the HP series, I will experiment with them by moving them to their own Share folder on the PC and creating the default.txt, etc. I don't want to place all the other movies to different folders though, so I'd like to come up with a way to view them alphabetically within the Movies group regardless of when they are uploaded.

The example I tried this morning uploaded fine, but still isn't picked up by the Movies filter, it is still considered a TV Show, so my changes didn't work. I'm going to make the new Share folder now and see how that works. I'll let you know.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:12 PM   #8
lpwcomp

As far as sequencing goes, that's why I set the OAD to 12:00:00 of the release date and set "time" to OAD. Since I have my sort options set to "date", this results in the oldest one being at the bottom of the group, just like a series group.

Just so we're clear, the files do not have to be in their own share just in their own folder.

When pyTivo is processing a metadata file, it first uses the default.txt file in the same folder. If there isn't one, it uses the "closest" one within both the path to the file and within the share.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:16 PM   #9
jcthorne

I have all my movies grouped together in one folder.

TV Series grouped by SeriesId. My movies all have the seriesId : Movies

Here is the metadata txt file for the movie Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets:
Code:
title : Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
movieYear : 2002
description : In this sequel to the smash hit Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Harry ignores warnings not to return to school -- that is, if he values his life -- to investigate with Ron and Hermione a mysterious series of attacks.
seriesId : Movies
mpaaRating : P2
vProgramGenre : Children & Family
vProgramGenre : Book Characters
vProgramGenre : Blockbusters
vProgramGenre : Ages 8-10
vProgramGenre : Ages 11-12
vPrimaryGenre : Sci-Fi & Fantasy
vDirector : Columbus|Chris
vActor : Radcliffe|Daniel
vActor : Grint|Rupert
vActor : Watson|Emma
vActor : Branagh|Kenneth
vActor : Cleese|John
vActor : Coltrane|Robbie
vActor : Davis|Warwick
vActor : Griffiths|Richard
vActor : Harris|Richard
vActor : Isaacs|Jason
vActor : Rickman|Alan
vActor : Shaw|Fiona
vActor : Smith|Maggie
vActor : Walters|Julie
vActor : Henderson|Shirley
vActor : Margolyes|Miriam
vActor : Williams|Mark
vActor : Jones|Toby
vActor : Wright|Bonnie
vActor : Felton|Tom
callsign : Thornoli's
image : Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 2002.mp4.jpg
My metadata files are generated by metagenerator and this one is an example.

Also, on the tivo, the movies normally sort in the order they are uploaded because I have my default sort set to date. I can resort by name on the fly while viewing the listing if needed.

By setting isEpisode : true in your example you are asking for trouble with tivo's currently broken episide metadata lookup, set it to false for movies.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:55 PM   #10
DoubleDAZ

Thank you both for your examples, they've really helped. I'm still working on this, but I found that what I want to do doesn't seem possible and what I thought happened with series recordings is not what happens. Somehow I was under the impression that I could display the 73 movie titles in the "Movies" group with Groups set to On and also display those same titles in the "My Shows" list with Groups set to Off. For some reason, I never noticed that the ones I originally uploaded all display as "Movies" when I set Groups to Off and the same thing happens with TiVo series recordings.

All is not lost though. I found that the My Shows filters do work with recordings made by the TiVo; the TV Shows filter displays just the TV show recordings and the Movie filter displays just the movie recordings. I haven't found a way to force the Movie filter to include uploaded movies with recorded movies. However, that's okay. Since uploaded movies aren't recognized by the filters, I can simply use the TV Show filter to view recorded TV shows, the Movie filter to view recorded movies and the All filter to view everything, including the uploaded movies.

I still haven't been able to figure out how to get the new uploads in the current Movies group, so I think I'll eventually upload all my movies again without grouping them and use the filters to control the display. That way I'll be able to sort them in alpha sequence without any problems and not have to worry when I upload a new movie. I'll just begin with the 2 new movies I have and see how it works out. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:16 PM   #11
cherry ghost

To get an uploaded movie to show in the Movie filter, I believe you need the correct programId and the movie has to be in the guide.
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:35 AM   #12
jcthorne

Quote:

I still haven't been able to figure out how to get the new uploads in the current Movies group, so I think I'll eventually upload all my movies again without grouping them and use the filters to control the display. That way I'll be able to sort them in alpha sequence without any problems and not have to worry when I upload a new movie. I'll just begin with the 2 new movies I have and see how it works out. Thanks for the help.
You will not be able to transfer movies and get them to appear in the old folder. This is because when you transferred them, you told the tivo they were episodes of the series 'movies'. Tivo has changed how they handle episodes of series in preperation for the new OnePass functionality. Its also currently broken. If you had told your tivo they were NOT part of a series, you could have continued to add movies to that same folder, exactly as I am doing.

At the moment I have to pull all tv episodes, not push because of tivo's broken metadata lookup engine. It is promised for fix in the Feb update. Movies still push fine as the tivo is still using the metadata sent, not looking up its own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:38 AM   #13
DoubleDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
To get an uploaded movie to show in the Movie filter, I believe you need the correct programId and the movie has to be in the guide.
I suspect you're right about the programId and I'm sure recording from the guide sets all the right parameters. However, I think one should be able to reproduce the necessary parameters for the metadata txt file and I haven't given up on that just yet.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:13 PM   #14
DoubleDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
You will not be able to transfer movies and get them to appear in the old folder. This is because when you transferred them, you told the tivo they were episodes of the series 'movies'. Tivo has changed how they handle episodes of series in preperation for the new OnePass functionality. Its also currently broken. If you had told your tivo they were NOT part of a series, you could have continued to add movies to that same folder, exactly as I am doing.
I tried your file (Example 2 below), but since I already have a group named "Movies", I changed the seriesId to "Movies2" and it didn't work. All I got were the individual files in the My Shows list, no "Movies2" group. I was able to upload new files to a "Movies2" group yesterday, but only using my original metadata file (Example 3). The one thing I didn't try was the movie example in the Wiki, but that's because it doesn't appear to try grouping files. I got my file from a friend and it seems to be a combination of both TV series and movie examples. I'm going to try it with "isEpisode : false".

FWIW, here are the metadata files I've tried, along with some observations.
- Example 1 appears to be the most correct when it comes to the data loaded and displayed. I don't know why the word "separator" appears, maybe it's looking for the starRating parameter even though I never saw where that gets displayed.
- Example 2 misses most data, but that could simply because I'm doing something wrong and it's not working right. I do not know what "x6" and "P2" are since they are not among the accepted values in the Wiki and some references in the Wiki say any parameters following some errors will be ignored.
- Example 3 also misses the data, but puts the uploads in the Group.

Example 1 (lpwcomp)
title : Battleship
movieYear : 2012
description : ..............................
mpaaRating : R

Viewing MY SHOWS list
- Title “Battleship”
- not in a group
- description in the right margin
Viewing INFO
- the word "separator" appears after the MPAA rating
- list of actors, writers, directors, etc.

Example 2 (jcthorne)
movieYear : 2012
seriesId : Movies
mpaaRating : P2

Viewing MY SHOWS list
- Title “Battleship”
- not in a group
- no description in the right margin
Viewing INFO
- nothing after MPAA rating
- no list of actors, writers, directors, etc.

Example 3 (mine)
episodeTitle : Battleship (2012)
time : 2014-05-21T00:00:00Z
seriesId : SH00900001
originalAirDate : 2012-06-08T00:00:00Z
starRating : 2.5
mpaaRating : R

Viewing MY SHOWS list with Groups Off
- Title “Movies”
Viewing MY SHOWS list with Groups On
- Title “Battleship (2012)” within group “Movies”
Viewing INFO
- nothing after MPAA rating
- no list of actors, writers, directors, etc.
Can’t add new movies to existing group “Movies”
Can add them to new group “Movies2” by changing seriesTtitle and seriesId
Old 01-18-2015, 03:12 PM   #15
lpwcomp

Another thing you didn't try was the way I have things setup where both title and seriesTitle are set to the desired group name.

There is also a potential problem with what you have. The seriesId you are using is possibly already in use by TMS. They have been 7 significant digits for quite a while now. For example, the seriesId for "Legends" is SH01737387.

Do this: Transfer one of the recordings in your old "Movies" group from your TiVo to your PC with the "Save metadata to .txt" option checked. Then post the .txt file that is created.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:55 PM   #16
DoubleDAZ

Quote:
Another thing you didn't try was the way I have things setup where both title and seriesTitle are set to the desired group name.

There is also a potential problem with what you have. The seriesId you are using is possibly already in use by TMS. They have been 7 significant digits for quite a while now. For example, the seriesId for "Legends" is SH01737387.
Sorry, I did try that and I just tried it again from scratch. I've included the exact files I used for both movies I'm using to test. As you can see, I:
- corrected the episodeTitle from "Philosopher's" to "Sorcerer's".
- changed the episodeNumber to 1 & 2 respectively.
- used MetaGenerator to pull slightly different data from The Movie DB vs the IMDB data you used. Don't see how that makes a difference.
- also added a "Harry Potter Movies" share in pyTivo to make it easier to find the 2 test movies and not have to wade through all 75.

FWIW, I'm doing this from the TiVo with only pyTivo running on my laptop. I do not yet know how to transfer a file from the Tivo to the laptop and save the metadata. However, I played around with kmttg some just now and was able to get the metadata for a recording of the TV show "Stalker". I tried on others, but everything except it and the 2 test files are copy-protected, so it wouldn't work with those. I can understand why ripped movies would be copy-protected, but have no idea why my home movies are. I then tried to "push" the 2 test files with kmttg and get a connection timeout error. I've never been able to get kmttg to work with localhost:9032.

Anyway, when I view the My Shows list on the TiVo:
- I see the "Harry Potter Movies" share folder.
- It contains 2 entries, both titled "Harry Potter Movies".
- I select one, see it's Chambers and begin the transfer.
- It shows up in the My Shows list as "Harry Potter Movies".
- I select the other one, see it's Stone and begin the transfer.
- It tells me it has been added to the To Do list and will transfer after the other one finishes.
- When the 1st finishes and the 2nd begins, I see 2 entries for "Harry Potter Movies" (already know it's not working)
- and that's what I end up with, they simply don't group and I can't figure out why.

Metadata in default.txt file:
Spoiler:
Code:
title :  Harry Potter Movies
seriesTitle : Harry Potter Movies
seriesId : HP01234567 
time : OAD
vProgramGenre : Children & Family Movies 
vProgramGenre : Sci-Fi & Fantasy 
vProgramGenre : Movies based on children's books 
vProgramGenre : Family Features 

Metadata file for the first movie:

Spoiler:
Code:
episodeTitle : Harry Potter and the Sorcerers's Stone 
originalAirDate : 2001-11-16T12:00:00Z
description : Harry Potter has lived under the stairs at his aunt and uncle's house his whole life. But on his 11th birthday, he learns he's a powerful wizard -- with a place waiting for him at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. As he learns to harness his newfound powers with the help of the school's kindly headmaster, Harry uncovers the truth about his parents' deaths -- and about the villain who's to blame.
episodeNumber : 1
vWriter : Kloves|Steve
vActor : Triplets|Saunders
vActor : Shaw|Fiona
vActor : Melling|Harry
vActor : Deadman|Derek
vActor : Hart|Ian
vActor : Borowiecki|Ben
vActor : Somerville|Geraldine
vActor : Troyer|Verne
vActor : Hurt|John
vActor : Wright|Bonnie
vActor : Rankin|Chris
vActor : Lewis|Matthew
vActor : Wanamaker|Zo
vActor : Mayall|Rik
vActor : Phillips|Leslie
image : Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.mp4.jpg

Metadata file for the second movie:

Spoiler:
Code:
episodeTitle : Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 
originalAirDate : 2002-11-15T12:00:00Z
description : Everyone's favorite novice wizard, Harry Potter, continues his high-flying adventures at Hogwarts. This time around, Harry ignores warnings not to return to school - that is, if he values his life - to investigate a mysterious series of attacks with Ron and Hermione.
episodeNumber : 2
vWriter : Kloves|Steve
vActor : Branagh|Kenneth
vActor : Bleasdale|Heather
vActor : Biggerstaff|Sean
vActor : Bradley|David
vActor : Clifford|Veronica
vActor : Cleese|John
vActor : Columbus|Eleanor
vActor : Coulson|Christian
vActor : Davis|Warwick
vActor : Dale|Emily
vActor : Douglas|Rochelle
vActor : Lewis|Matthew
vActor : Phillips|Leslie
vActor : Isaacs|Jason
vActor : Norton|Jim
vActor : Henderson|Shirley
vActor : Margolyes|Miriam
image : Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.mp4.jpg

Metadata file for downloaded TV show:

Spoiler:
Code:
title : Stalker
seriesTitle : Stalker
description : When the Mayor is victimized by a stalker, the team must ascertain if he is being targeted by an angry constituent or someone from his past. 
time : 2015-01-15T04:00:00Z
iso_duration : PT1H
originalAirDate : 2015-01-14T00:00:00Z
episodeTitle : Secrets and Lies
showingBits : 397315
tvRating : x5
episodeNumber : 112
displayMajorNumber : 1005
callsign : KPHODT
seriesId : SH01922358
programId : EP019223580012
vActor : Q|Maggie

Old 01-18-2015, 07:55 PM   #17
lpwcomp

On the lack of grouping. I may have given you some bad data. That seriesID used to work but it is not the one I used in my recent test. Try changing it to SH90001118. Using that, here's what I see (colors are off due to what I had to do to reduce the size):

HP Group.jpg

As to changing the title from "Philosopher's" to "Sorcerer's", you can use whatever you want, but it is not a correction. "Philosopher's' is the original title and the one I prefer.

On a side note, I wish to heck that TiVo would add at least a 2-digit year to the displayed record date.

The last thing reminds of something I haven't mentioned. You cannot have a record time that is earlier than 1970-01-01T00:00:00Z as that results in a negative value and makes the TiVo very unhappy.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:38 PM   #18
DoubleDAZ

Quote:
I got that I can't use the original "Movies" group from last year and gave up trying to get new movies into that group yesterday. Thanks.

Quote:
At the moment I have to pull all tv episodes, not push because of tivo's broken metadata lookup engine. It is promised for fix in the Feb update. Movies still push fine as the tivo is still using the metadata sent, not looking up its own.
I made some headway alittle while ago. I took a chance and added the "Harry Potter Movies" folder on my laptop to Tivo Desktop Plus and selected Auto-transfer. The 2 files in there got "pushed" to the Tivo, but for some reason both ended up with the same title (Sorcerer's Stone) in the "Harry Potter Movies" group on the Tivo even though there are separate metadata files in the folder with different episodeTitle entries. The only real difference is the episodeNumber entry, so I changed them both to "1" and am trying again. At least I know it's able to pull TV Shows that aren't copy-protected and auto-transfer/push movies.

One thing I noticed in kmttg is that my list of Tivo includes the Roamio (Family Room) and the Mini (Master Bedroom). There is also a Family Room (2) listed and I don't know what that is. When I refresh the contents of each, I get a list of Tivo recordings for Family Room and nothing for Master Bedroom or Family Room (2). When I try to "pull" a file from Family Room, I get the connection error I mentioned in another post. Since Tivo Desktop Plus seems to work to both pull and push files, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with kmttg or why the files I upload are copy-protected and can't be downloaded again.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:06 PM   #19
lpwcomp

Quote:
I made some headway alittle while ago. I took a chance and added the "Harry Potter Movies" folder on my laptop to Tivo Desktop Plus and selected Auto-transfer. The 2 files in there got "pushed" to the Tivo, but for some reason both ended up with the same title (Sorcerer's Stone) in the "Harry Potter Movies" group on the Tivo even though there are separate metadata files in the folder with different episodeTitle entries. The only real difference is the episodeNumber entry, so I changed them both to "1" and am trying again. At least I know it's able to pull TV Shows that aren't copy-protected and auto-transfer/push movies.
There's a bug in how TiVo currently handles pushes.

Quote:
One thing I noticed in kmttg is that my list of Tivo includes the Roamio (Family Room) and the Mini (Master Bedroom). There is also a Family Room (2) listed and I don't know what that is. When I refresh the contents of each, I get a list of Tivo recordings for Family Room and nothing for Master Bedroom or Family Room (2). When I try to "pull" a file from Family Room, I get the connection error I mentioned in another post. Since Tivo Desktop Plus seems to work to both pull and push files, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with kmttg or why the files I upload are copy-protected and can't be downloaded again.
One of the "Family Room" TiVos is probably the embedded stream. My suggestion would be to change the network settings of the TIVo so the "actual" TiVo is using a fixed IP address, change kmttg to explicitly define it and uncheck the "Look for TiVos on network" box.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:30 PM   #20
DoubleDAZ

Quote:
On the lack of grouping. I may have given you some bad data. That seriesID used to work but it is not the one I used in my recent test. Try changing it to SH90001118. Using that, here's what I see (colors are off due to what I had to do to reduce the size):

As to changing the title from "Philosopher's" to "Sorcerer's", you can use whatever you want, but it is not a correction. "Philosopher's' is the original title and the one I prefer.

On a side note, I wish to heck that TiVo would add at least a 2-digit year to the displayed record date.

The last thing reminds of something I haven't mentioned. You cannot have a record time that is earlier than 1970-01-01T00:00:00Z as that results in a negative value and makes the TiVo very unhappy.
Since the "push" using Tivo Desktop Plus didn't work, I tried the new seriesId and it is working now. Finally!!!

But won't that still potentially conflict with TMS or does the 9 avoid that? FWIW, I tried MV90001118 and it works too, though both show up as TV Shows with the filters.

There is also still the "separator" tag. Looking through the INFO, there's a "Categories" field that has the word "separator" in it and the Wiki doesn't explain what this field is.

Looking at kmttg, the new files are no longer flagged as copy-protected, but the titles include "(EP001)" so I might try leaving the episodeNumber parameter out.

When I get done with my shower, I'll work on some more files and also see if the new seriesId works when I have Tivo Desktop Plus auto-transfer.

I didn't know that about the original title, interesting.

I also wish they'd use a year and I'll make a note of the 1970 oddity.

Thanks for hanging in there with me. It looks like most of my problem was the seriesId, but either way, I learned a few things.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:17 PM   #21
DoubleDAZ

Quote:
You want both title and seriesTitle to be the name of the group you want it to be in. episodeTitle should be the name of the movie.
Okay, now that I have it working, I just had to see if what I thought about the title parameter was correct or not. So, I moved the title parameter out of the default txt file and placed it in each of the movie txt files. I then changed its entry to match the episodeTitle. What this does is display the correct movie title in the share folder on the Tivo, so I can now see a "real" list of movies and which movies I'm selecting for transfer. What I have now is:

default txt file
- seriesTitle : Movies
- seriesId : MV90001119"

1st movie txt file
- title : Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
- episodeTitle : Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

2nd movie txt file
- title : Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- episodeTitle : Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

On the Tivo, My Shows now has a "new" Movies" group with 2 movies in it displaying the correct titles and they are not longer copy-protected like everything else I uploaded last year.

Tomorrow I'm going to try a unique seriesTitle entry, something like DD03091947, to see if it works and how the filters process it. I'm also going to remove the episodeNumber parameter and try to figure out which parameter, maybe the mpaaRating entry, is the Categories field. Looking at some of my current recordings, that seems to be the case. If all that works as planned, I'll be pretty happy, though I still wish Tivo would display the title and the episodeTitle when using the Name sort option as well as add the year.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:20 PM   #22
DoubleDAZ

Quote:
There's a bug in how TiVo currently handles pushes.
Maybe that's it. I'll still try the latest files tomorrow and then give up for now.

Quote:
One of the "Family Room" TiVos is probably the embedded stream. My suggestion would be to change the network settings of the TIVo so the "actual" TiVo is using a fixed IP address, change kmttg to explicitly define it and uncheck the "Look for TiVos on network" box.
That's it. I thought I had read that somewhere. I may make those changes when I upgrade my modem and router to 1-gigabit and DOCSIS-3.0 in March.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:40 PM   #23
lpwcomp

Quote:
Okay, now that I have it working, I just had to see if what I thought about the title parameter was correct or not. So, I moved the title parameter out of the default txt file and placed it in each of the movie txt files. I then changed its entry to match the episodeTitle. What this does is display the correct movie title in the share folder on the Tivo, so I can now see a "real" list of movies and which movies I'm selecting for transfer. What I have now is:

default txt file
- seriesTitle : Movies
- seriesId : MV90001119"

1st movie txt file
- title : Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
- episodeTitle : Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

2nd movie txt file
- title : Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- episodeTitle : Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Even with "title" left as "Movies", you would see the exact same thing when viewing a subfolder within an existing share rather than a separate share.

Quote:
On the Tivo, My Shows now has a "new" Movies" group with 2 movies in it displaying the correct titles and they are not longer copy-protected like everything else I uploaded last year.
If the ones you transferred last year are copy protected, then that means they were pushed rather than pulled. Pushed recordings are always copy protected. Until recently, pushed recordings never grouped with pulled ones and even today it doesn't always work. I'm not sure it ever works for a made up seriesId. The thing is that, until the Premiere, pushing was the only way to get recordings to group on a made up seriesId.

Quote:
Tomorrow I'm going to try a unique seriesTitle entry, something like DD03091947, to see if it works and how the filters process it. I'm also going to remove the episodeNumber parameter and try to figure out which parameter, maybe the mpaaRating entry, is the Categories field. Looking at some of my current recordings, that seems to be the case. If all that works as planned, I'll be pretty happy, though I still wish Tivo would display the title and the episodeTitle when using the Name sort option as well as add the year.
The Categories field is controlled by the vProgramGenre entries. In order for it to show up on the TiVo, it has to be one that the TiVo recognizes. That's in the SDUI. The ability for pyTivo to set it for the HDUI broke years ago, if it ever worked at all. The fact that it shows "Separator" is a bug in the HDUI which is unlikely ever to be fixed.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:47 PM   #24
lpwcomp

Quote:
That's it. I thought I had read that somewhere. I may make those changes when I upgrade my modem and router to 1-gigabit and DOCSIS-3.0 in March.
No need to wait. The changes are made on the TiVo, not in the router. Before someone objects to this statement, let me say that I am perfectly aware that some people do it by assigning a specific IP address to a specific MAC address via the router but it is not necessary to do it that way.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:52 AM   #25
jcthorne

Quote:
I suspect you're right about the programId and I'm sure recording from the guide sets all the right parameters. However, I think one should be able to reproduce the necessary parameters for the metadata txt file and I haven't given up on that just yet.
Metagenerator will provide the programId if it exists.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:35 AM   #26
cherry ghost

Quote:
For movies also? I see the check box under "TV Search", but not "Movie Search."
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:58 AM   #27
lpwcomp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
For movies also? I see the check box under "TV Search", but not "Movie Search."
No. Only for TV series.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:53 PM   #28
DoubleDAZ

Quote:
Even with "title" left as "Movies", you would see the exact same thing when viewing a subfolder within an existing share rather than a separate share.
I'm probably not expressing myself correctly, so I've started over this morning, here's the scenario:
Tivo Desktop Plus running (no pyTivo, no kmttg)
2 movies in folder "Harry Potter Movies"
default txt
title : Movies
seriesId : SH90001118
movie1 txt file
episodeTitle : Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
movie2 txt file
Observations
Added "Harry Potter Movies" folder to Desktop using auto-transfer mode.
Movie1 started to upload
My Shows added entry "Harry Potter Movies"
Right margin shows Sorcerer's Stone
Selecting the entry just shows "Transferred by Tivo"
INFO shows the same, no description, actors, etc.
When Movie2 starts to upload, the group "Harry Potter Movies" is created. Since the title & seriesTitle entries are both "Movies", I don't know why the group name is not "Movies".
The title for both movies is the same, "Sorcerer's Stone", and I'll assume both are errors in Desktop.

The next test scenario is:
Tivo Desktop Plus running (no pyTivo, no kmttg)
2 movies in folder "Harry Potter Movies"
default txt
title : Movies (---deleted---)
seriesId : SH90001118
vProgramGenre entries (---deleted---)
movie1 txt file
title : Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (---added---)
episodeTitle : Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
movie2 txt file
title : Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (---added---)
Observations:
I still get the "Harry Potter Movies" entry, so I assume I'll get the same group name. I suspect I'll also get a duplicate title, but I'm curious, so I'll let the first upload finish to see what happens when the second upload starts. If nothing else, I'll have something to check when the February fixes arrive.

EDIT: Same group name and duplicate title, so that's it for now with Desktop.

Side note: It bugs me that Desktop doesn't provide any transfer status, I have to check My Shows. I displays status for transfers from the Tivo to the laptop.

Quote:
If the ones you transferred last year are copy protected, then that means they were pushed rather than pulled. Pushed recordings are always copy protected. Until recently, pushed recordings never grouped with pulled ones and even today it doesn't always work. I'm not sure it ever works for a made up seriesId. The thing is that, until the Premiere, pushing was the only way to get recordings to group on a made up seriesId.
I believe they were pushed, but to be honest, I don't remember what I did. Like now, I tried so many things to get something to work, that's why I'm documenting these tests this time. I think I used kmttg because until the other day, I could not get Desktop to do anything, not even share music or photos. Then I started Desktop while pyTivo was running and the Music/Photos entries showed up on the TiVo in Music & Photos and Movies in My Shows. Right now, with pyTivo not running, none of those show up, but Desktop is transferring the 2 movies.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand all this. I get that pyTivo set the Share folders yesterday and that made them show up on the Tivo. What I don't get is why Desktop doesn't do the same thing. Documentation seems to indicate it should, but all I see right now with only Desktop running is the "Harry Potter Movies" entry for the movie being transferred and the "Now Playing on DavesLaptop" entry.

As soon as the 2nd Desktop test finishes, I'm going to start pyTivo and kmttg to test various change to the entries in the default and movie txt files using the Tivo to pull files from the laptop.

Quote:
The Categories field is controlled by the vProgramGenre entries. In order for it to show up on the TiVo, it has to be one that the TiVo recognizes. That's in the SDUI. The ability for pyTivo to set it for the HDUI broke years ago, if it ever worked at all. The fact that it shows "Separator" is a bug in the HDUI which is unlikely ever to be fixed.
All the movies I uploaded last year with the Example 3 entries I posted display "TV-NR" instead of "separator" while "separator" appears for the ones I tried yesterday. Unfortunately, none of them display the actor list, but then they also don't show the Categories entry I mentioned. What's weird is that I have a mixture of starRating, mpaaRating, vProgramGenre entries for them, so I don't know why the "TV-NR". One of the combinations I'll try today is leaving the starRating and mpaaRating entries out.

I did want to ask a bit about the vProgramGenre entries. You have some in the default txt file and others in the movie txt files. I get the desire to have them be the same for all Harry Potter movies, but I assume I could delete those entries from the default txt file in my main movies folder and just use the ones in the movie txt files without messing up anything. The main use for the default txt file is to avoid duplicating the same entries in each movie file. Correct?

Last edited by DoubleDAZ : 01-19-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:05 PM   #29
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

TTBOMK, TiVo Desktop doesn't use .txt metadata -- a format we invented for pyTivo.

wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:31 PM   #30
lpwcomp

Quote:
I still get the "Harry Potter Movies" entry, so I assume I'll get the same group name. I suspect I'll also get a duplicate title, but I'm curious, so I'll let the first upload finish to see what happens when the second upload starts. If nothing else, I'll have something to check when the February fixes arrive.
Any transfer initiated from the PC is going to be a Push.

Quote:
Side note: It bugs me that Desktop doesn't provide any transfer status, I have to check My Shows. I displays status for transfers from the Tivo to the laptop.
You don't get status from pyTivo either if the file is in a compatible format., just "Start" and "Done".
Quote:
believe they were pushed, but to be honest, I don't remember what I did. Like now, I tried so many things to get something to work, that's why I'm documenting these tests this time. I think I used kmttg because until the other day, I could not get Desktop to do anything, not even share music or photos. Then I started Desktop while pyTivo was running and the Music/Photos entries showed up on the TiVo in Music & Photos and Movies in My Shows. Right now, with pyTivo not running, none of those show up, but Desktop is transferring the 2 movies.
I've no idea what caused that.

Quote:
I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand all this. I get that pyTivo set the Share folders yesterday and that made them show up on the Tivo. What I don't get is why Desktop doesn't do the same thing. Documentation seems to indicate it should, but all I see right now with only Desktop running is the "Harry Potter Movies" entry for the movie being transferred and the "Now Playing on DavesLaptop" entry.
The "Now Playing on DavesLaptop" entry is the TD equivalent of a pyTivo share. If you select it, what you should see are the recordings in whatever folder you have configured TD to use for "MY TiVo Recordings".

Quote:
As soon as the 2nd Desktop test finishes, I'm going to start pyTivo and kmttg to test various change to the entries in the default and movie txt files using the Tivo to pull files from the laptop.
You could pull them via TD but it does not support .txt file metadata. Only that which is embedded in .tivo files and possibly .mp4. I am really only familiar with the free version and haven't actively used even that for many years.

Quote:
All the movies I uploaded last year with the Example 3 entries I posted display "TV-NR" instead of "separator" while "separator" appears for the ones I tried yesterday. Unfortunately, none of them display the actor list, but then they also don't show the Categories entry I mentioned. What's weird is that I have a mixture of starRating, mpaaRating, vProgramGenre entries for them, so I don't know why the "TV-NR". One of the combinations I'll try today is leaving the starRating and mpaaRating entries out.
Push doesn't give you you as much of the metadata.

Just so we're clear, are you seeing "TV-NR" under "Categories" on the "Details" screen?

Quote:
I did want to ask a bit about the vProgramGenre entries. You have some in the default txt file and others in the movie txt files. I get the desire to have them be the same for all Harry Potter movies, but I assume I could delete those entries from the default txt file in my main movies folder and just use the ones in the movie txt files without messing up anything. The main use for the default txt file is to avoid duplicating the same entries in each movie file. Correct?
Correct. The duplication is simply left over from my testing.