TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-17-2016, 02:19 PM   #1
mystic1muse

Tivodesktop 2.8.3 "unable to link to your account"

I'm running Windows 10.

Tivo Deskto was working fine under Windows 10 until about a week ago then found it was no longer linking to account and all attempts to link give error message ""unable to link to your account" even though I can use the same email/password to log on to the Tivo site. I can also successfully transfer video to the Tivo using Pytivo which uses the same data MAK/email/password that Tivo Desktop uses.

I've tried a dozen or more times over several days to make it link. I've uninstalled and reinstalled a few times including run of tivodesktop cleaner, reboot Windows, rebooted Tivo etc. I've read every post I could find here and elsewhere on the issue with no answers that worked.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

mystic1muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:19 PM   #2
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic1muse View Post
I'm running Windows 10.

Tivo Deskto was working fine under Windows 10 until about a week ago then found it was no longer linking to account and all attempts to link give error message ""unable to link to your account" even though I can use the same email/password to log on to the Tivo site. I can also successfully transfer video to the Tivo using Pytivo which uses the same data MAK/email/password that Tivo Desktop uses.

I've tried a dozen or more times over several days to make it link. I've uninstalled and reinstalled a few times including run of tivodesktop cleaner, reboot Windows, rebooted Tivo etc. I've read every post I could find here and elsewhere on the issue with no answers that worked.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
It has been posted on the help thread that if you enter your email address as UPPERCASE@domain it will link. It doesn't work for me.

JoeKustra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #3
mystic1muse

Thanks!

"It has been posted on the help thread that if you enter your email address as UPPERCASE@domain it will link. It doesn't work for me."

Wow! I didn't think it would work but decided to give it a try. Actually the form you quoted above UPPERCASE@domain did not work BUT putting the whole thing in caps like this: UPPERCASE@DOMAIN did work for me.

Thanks Again, the programmer that, no doubt unwittingly, placed that limit in the code must have been smoking something strong.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:04 PM   #4
JoeKustra
Cable only

I'm glad that worked. Still not working for me. Maybe I'll try an all uppercase password.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:48 PM   #5
mystic1muse

domain and name

Did you try with both domain and name in all caps?

Also, someone suggested that log on problems can occur with special characters are in the password. You might try a different password setup.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:49 PM   #6
JoeKustra
Cable only

About Desktop

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...1#post10970111

I wouldn't expect much help.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...5#post10970115

Old 08-20-2016, 11:30 PM   #7
W7SJK

All caps worked for me. Thanks!

W7SJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:44 AM   #8
dougdingle
HD Tech

Well, that is pretty arrogant of TiVo.

We're just gonna disable that piece of software we sold you without any notice, like a "sorry" email, and tough.

So I guess no more push to the TiVo from the computer using Desktop Plus, huh? Guess I'll go see if pull still works, or it's all dead.

No combination of upper/lower case worked for me. They must have disabled that now.

Really annoying.

dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:02 PM   #9
JoeKustra
Cable only

There are alternatives that are more powerful, well supported, and much more complicated.

I can't get in either. Case changes don't help. But the only reason I started using it was to save special programs. Now I have a retired Premiere for that.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:12 PM   #10
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
There are alternatives that are more powerful, well supported, and much more complicated.
Yeah, I know. It's the "much more complicated" part that annoys me the most.

I've got pyTivo installed, and have played with it a few times but found it annoyingly geeky. And that comment comes from an annoying geek who gets into the minutiae.

And "well supported" is not very comforting when TiVo can disable the "reach-around push" function any time they feel like it. Like they just did with Desktop Plus.

TiVo user for well over a decade (Series 1, 2, 3, DirecTiVo, Roamio+Minis) but based on events the last few months, I'm no longer planning on putting a bigger drive in my lifetime Roamio, nor am I adding any more Minis (much as I'd like to). The service has gone from reliably stable to volatile and unpredictable. Who knows what the upcoming merger will bring next?

Old 08-28-2016, 01:44 PM   #11
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdingle View Post
Yeah, I know. It's the "much more complicated" part that annoys me the most.

I've got pyTivo installed, and have played with it a few times but found it annoyingly geeky. And that comment comes from an annoying geek who gets into the minutiae.
If you think pyTivo is "annoyingly geeky", them I think you vastly overrate your own geekiness.

Quote:
And "well supported" is not very comforting when TiVo can disable the "reach-around push" function any time they feel like it. Like they just did with Desktop Plus.
The didn't "disable" push, even for TD+. Maybe they plan to, but as of right now, there is merely something odd going on with the servers.

In any case, I know why pull is not a viable alternative for me for one of my TiVos (it's remote). Why is it not an alternative for you?

Quote:
TiVo user for well over a decade (Series 1, 2, 3, DirecTiVo, Roamio+Minis) but based on events the last few months, I'm no longer planning on putting a bigger drive in my lifetime Roamio, nor am I adding any more Minis (much as I'd like to). The service has gone from reliably stable to volatile and unpredictable. Who knows what the upcoming merger will bring next?
My biggest issue is that I have a large collection of recordings on an NAS with Gracenote metadata that will now have screwy data when transferred back to the TiVo.

I'm hoping that when all of the dust settles, there will be a way to make one of the metadata creation programs work again, but I have my doubts.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 09:01 PM   #12
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
The didn't "disable" push, even for TD+. Maybe they plan to, but as of right now, there is merely something odd going on with the servers.
That is false. From an online response here on tivocommunity from TiVo's Ira Bahr 11 days ago: "The PC transfer is no longer a supported feature on our platform."

No longer supported. I'd call that "disabled", the end of it. You may interpret that as you wish.

Without being able to connect to TiVo's servers to tie Desktop Plus to my TiVo account, the Desktop Plus server won't start. Without the Desktop Plus Server running, the TiVo can't see the video, audio, or image files on the computer to pull them, and Desktop Plus can't push them to the TiVo. Not exactly that "Unified Entertainment System" the TiVo website brags about. Since I have never had an interest in getting files from the TiVo onto my computer, this for me is the end of Desktop Plus functionality.

There is nothing to say they won't stop pytivo working in a week or two, since "the PC transfer is no longer a supported feature on our platform.". That seems more likely than not, based on Bahr's statement. So what some of us are left with is Plex on TiVo, which from all I've read here is not very good. Plex is fine, it's TiVo's version that is poorly implemented.

Time to see what Roku or Amazon Fire looks like when playing my computer's content.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:48 PM   #13
lpwcomp

Quote:
That is false. From an online response here on tivocommunity from TiVo's Ira Bahr 11 days ago: "The PC transfer is no longer a supported feature on our platform."

No longer supported. I'd call that "disabled", the end of it. You may interpret that as you wish.

Without being able to connect to TiVo's servers to tie Desktop Plus to my TiVo account, the Desktop Plus server won't start. Without the Desktop Plus Server running, the TiVo can't see the video, audio, or image files on the computer to pull them, and Desktop Plus can't push them to the TiVo. Not exactly that "Unified Entertainment System" the TiVo website brags about. Since I have never had an interest in getting files from the TiVo onto my computer, this for me is the end of Desktop Plus functionality.

There is nothing to say they won't stop pytivo working in a week or two, since "the PC transfer is no longer a supported feature on our platform.". That seems more likely than not, based on Bahr's statement. So what some of us are left with is Plex on TiVo, which from all I've read here is not very good. Plex is fine, it's TiVo's version that is poorly implemented.

Time to see what Roku or Amazon Fire looks like when playing my computer's content.
And I thought I was a pessimist. Maybe you're right but "not supported" != "disabled". They'd have to disable it in the TiVo s/w. I've actually had the fear that they might do that very thing.

It's been years since they were actively supporting TD and transfers still work. If the current problem with pushes was actually them shutting it off, why not just do it? Maybe they're trying to find out who will complain, so why don't you complain to TiVo rather than just uselessly venting your ire here and saying I'm wrong about something when in fact you have no idea what is really going on.

There are things that never were supported but still work fine. 30 second skip for one.

I've never used TD+ but regular TD works just fine w/o contacting the servers and I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a way to get TD+ to do the same.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:49 PM   #14
oscarfish

This has got to be one of craziest types of failures I've seen. Unless it magically started working based on a change on the server side that just happen to be made at the right time between my failed attempts, then the working permuation is

JOHN.SMITH@GMAIL.com

I tried all lower case, I tried all upper case, I tried just the first part upper with the last part lower. But the above is what worked, and I don't want to undo it to experiment to prove to myself what works and what doesn't work.

oscarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:39 AM   #15
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarfish View Post
This has got to be one of craziest types of failures I've seen. Unless it magically started working based on a change on the server side that just happen to be made at the right time between my failed attempts, then the working permuation is

JOHN.SMITH@GMAIL.com

I tried all lower case, I tried all upper case, I tried just the first part upper with the last part lower. But the above is what worked, and I don't want to undo it to experiment to prove to myself what works and what doesn't work.
That's what TiVo support is suggesting (for now) on their site, but it does not work for me. I added my post to the people complaining about it.

I did get the Desktop server running again after doing a complete wipe and reinstall of Desktop, but still can't link to their server, so can't 'publish' content to my Roamio. At least I can now see the computer from it and pull footage.

TiVo support says they're looking for a fix, but I'd be surprised, based on Ira Bahr's statement that this sort of function will no longer be supported, if they find one.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:22 PM   #16
ej42137

Quote:
TiVo support says they're looking for a fix, but I'd be surprised, based on Ira Bahr's statement that this sort of function will no longer be supported, if they find one.
Ira said that the program is no longer supported for some (unspecified) reason, and left vague the question of whether the function would eventually be replaced. TiVos still "support" accessing content through a builtin webserver; at least "support" in the sense that it still works.

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:49 PM   #17
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
Ira said that the program is no longer supported for some (unspecified) reason, and left vague the question of whether the function would eventually be replaced. TiVos still "support" accessing content through a builtin webserver; at least "support" in the sense that it still works.
Really? Just the program?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira Bahr View Post
As far as the impact on those using TiVo Desktop software, some programs recorded before the guide data update (using Gracenote data) that are restored afterwards (using Rovi data) may see odd metadata changes. This will happen mostly for less popular shows. This isn't ideal, but the PC transfer is no longer a supported feature on our platform. As for the mobile app, this continues to be a supported platform and will be transitioned fully as with all of our existing software platforms.
Lot's of unsupported things still work, even some that were never supported. There's just no guarantee that they will continue to work in the future.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:59 PM   #18
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...1#post10970111

"PC transfer is no longer a supported feature on our platform"

Seems not vague, in fact very clear to me. I don't know how he could have been more direct.

Whether it continues working is up in the air, but my experience has been that features no longer supported rarely get fixed if they break.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:20 PM   #19
ej42137

"the PC transfer..."

Which in context I took to refer to specific program which does the transfer. But I can see how it could be interpreted otherwise. Not knowing why they were compelled to remove support, I don't think a firm conclusion can be drawn. You are of course free to draw a different conclusion.

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:39 PM   #20
lpwcomp

Quote:
"the PC transfer..."

Which in context I took to refer to specific program which does the transfer. But I can see how it could be interpreted otherwise. Not knowing why they were compelled to remove support, I don't think a firm conclusion can be drawn. You are of course free to draw a different conclusion.
TD doesn't run on the TiVo, so it cannot be what he referred to as a "feature on our platform".

Old 09-03-2016, 08:57 AM   #21
ntbert

9/3 and still no luck linking account.

ntbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:10 AM   #22
JoeKustra
Cable only

Same here.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #23
dougdingle
HD Tech

And here. Guess it's time to dust off pytivo, see if I like it any better than the last time I tried it. There is a thread over on the tivo support site forum about Desktop not linking if you'd like to add "me too" to it. The more people say something, the better the chance they might fix it:

https://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/fo...0622#e11290622

EDIT: pytivo is having identical issues with 'push', having to do with the same problem - linking to your TiVo account online.

Last edited by dougdingle; 09-04-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:17 PM   #24
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
And here. Guess it's time to dust off pytivo, see if I like it any better than the last time I tried it. There is a thread over on the tivo support site forum about Desktop not linking if you'd like to add "me too" to it. The more people say something, the better the chance they might fix it:

https://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/fo...0622#e11290622
Post added. Thanks for the link.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:48 PM   #25
dougdingle
HD Tech

So this morning I tried to link to my account by first suspending the Desktop Server.

I tried a few upper/lower case combinations for my email address, and one of them actually worked. I tried so many, and was so surprised when it took, I don't know what combination finally worked, sorry. Based on what others have said, it seems to be random anyway.

I re-enabled the Server, and it works again - pushed a video to my Roamio no problem.

How long it continues to work is another question, of course.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:16 PM   #26
billfark

This finally worked for me today: username@DOMAIN.com, FWIW.

-Kevin

billfark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:19 PM   #27
bellbm

I ran into this issue a couple of weeks ago, the USERNAME@yahoo.com worked for me, to get the server started.
now today after a computer reboot, I can't get anything to work. When I enter my username and password to link my tivo account, and I hit "next", nothing happens. The box stays on the screen.
Any ideas?

bellbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:24 PM   #28
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellbm View Post
I ran into this issue a couple of weeks ago, the USERNAME@yahoo.com worked for me, to get the server started.
now today after a computer reboot, I can't get anything to work. When I enter my username and password to link my tivo account, and I hit "next", nothing happens. The box stays on the screen.
Any ideas?
It's finicky.

Have a look at the TiVo support forum I mentioned, above. They're looking into it and need info from users.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #29
cwb3106

Try entering password several times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellbm View Post
...When I enter my username and password to link my tivo account, and I hit "next", nothing happens. The box stays on the screen.
Any ideas?
As I recall, when you select the account linking function, you get a dialog (call it A). Entering credentials brings up a different dialog (call it B) that says there was an error.

Entering credentials a second time fails with the redisplay dialog B. The redisplay happens so fast it looks like nothing happened.

Entering credentials a third time worked for me. There are hints in other posts that even more tries may be needed.

cwb3106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #30
dougdingle
HD Tech

Yes, I lost count of how many tries I made before it finally took with some combination I no longer remember. It's a peculiar bug.