TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-04-2016, 12:24 PM   #1
weathertop
No worries

Exclamation Viewing Mac Photos on Tivo Roamio

Hi -

I'm trying to do something simple and yet it seems to be impossible - I simply want to view the contents of my Photos library (not iPhotos, but Mac Photos) from my Mac to my Tivo Roamio.

I'm running Mac OS X El Captain.

And yet, something that seems so simple isn't working for me...any longer at least.

Tivo Desktop for Mac has been updated in awhile and doesn't work with Mac Photos. I can't get Plex to see my Photos library. cTivo, pyTivo, and KMTTG are all video focused.

Any ideas? I really don't want to get an Apple TV to just view my photos on my Mac through TVs in my house.

Please help...

"No 'bad things' will happen to you in your case" - TiVoStephen (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
weathertop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:42 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I have PyTivo and can do photos.

Juliet Basic (4XL, PLS)
(OTA)

~~~~~

No Amazon Prime? Join
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and start streaming!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:53 PM   #3
weathertop
No worries

Using Photos on a Mac? Not iPhoto?

Can you see the albums that you created in Photos on your TiVo?

)
Old 07-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Yes, but has been a while since I have used it. Also, I am a Windows user.

In Pytivo.conf, make sure you have:

[pictures]
Type = photos
Path = c:\pictures

(This is just an example.)

You can do this either by editing the Pytivo.conf file with a text editor, or through the Web server

Code:
http://localhost:9032

Juliet Basic (4XL, PLS)
(OTA)

~~~~~

No Amazon Prime? Join
and start streaming!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:32 PM   #5
wmcbrine
Ziphead

Some real entries from pyTivo.conf on my Mac:

Code:
[Music Share]
force_ffmpeg = on
path = /Users/wmcbrine/Music
type = music

[Photo Share]
type = photo
path = /Users/wmcbrine/Pictures
Note that it doesn't handle databases of items, only files and (filesystem-level) folders.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:37 PM   #6
weathertop
No worries

Hi wmcbrine:

Are you able to see albums from Photos on your Tivo using pyTivo?

I was only able to a mix of files...but with no organization by album.

Please let me know...

)
Old 07-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #7
wmcbrine
Ziphead

Quote:
Originally Posted by weathertop View Post
Are you able to see albums from Photos on your Tivo using pyTivo?

I was only able to a mix of files...but with no organization by album.
That's what I was saying here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Note that it doesn't handle databases of items, only files and (filesystem-level) folders.
Unless the albums correspond to OS-level folders, they won't appear, no.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:58 AM   #8
weathertop
No worries

Thanks, wmcbrine.

I'm looking for a solution that will display the contents of my photos, through my Tivo, that uses the albums within Apple Photos. And, with a Mac as the hosting computer.

So, by all appearances, something that reads the Apple Photos database.

My hopes are starting to diminish that something like this exists, without simply going for an Apple TV (and not displaying through a Tivo at all).

Thoughts?

)
Old 07-05-2016, 09:13 AM   #9
wmcbrine
Ziphead

Likely no such thing exists currently, but, it might not be that difficult to implement. I personally don't really use Photos or iPhoto, which is why I haven't pursued this previously. But I did a little work towards an iTunes handler (which I abandoned because I don't really use that, either), and I imagine it's similar. Let me look into it a bit...

The Mac version of TiVo Desktop might do it, but it's very out of date, so it probably only supports old versions of iPhoto.

Old Today, 07:20 AM   #10
weathertop
No worries

Issue solved...but not through my Tivo

Just to follow-up for others who might be interested in solving this issue for themselves:

(1) I was able to get Plex working but it wasn't a great solution. Plex will display the contents of the Apple Photos database but only by date. It can't manage albums that you set up on your computer. Plus, Plex through Tivo is slow.

(2) Ultimately, I had to get an AppleTV to solve this problem. Through an AppleTV, you can browse all your photos stored on your Mac over home sharing or by using iCloud. The experience is pretty effortless, like it used to be through a Tivo. A couple caveats, though:
  • Home Sharing through an AppleTV only works when iTunes is running on your hosting computer.
  • Use of iCloud is a dream to use and will sync images across all your Apple devices (including an AppleTV) but it can result in another subscription for the convenience. After reaching 5 GBs of stored images, you'll have to start paying Apple to host more images.

Anyhow, it is disappointing that Tivo effectively gave up supporting a direct solution for this. I know many folks probably don't care about viewing their photos through their TV anymore but it is nutty to me that you now have to buy another box to do what we could all do in 2008 through our Tivos. So much for a single box in the living room.

)