TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-19-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
dchou4u

Smile Cox new DCH3200 receiver

Hi, I recently got an upgraded Motorola DCH3200 receiver from COX for my HD TV. Now my original Tivo cannot change the channel on the Motorola receiver because the new receiver does not have a serial input port that I can use for this purchase. If I purchase a HD Tivo box, how should I connect the Motorola receiver to the Tivo so that I can change channel by using the Tivo remote control?

The setup that I used to have is:

Wall -> Motorola receiver -> Tivo -> A/V receiver -> TV

I used to have a serial cable that connected the Tivo to the Motorola receiver so that I can use the Tivo remote control to change channel on the Tivo, which in turn sends the channel change signal to the Motorola receiver through the serial cable.
dchou4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
lqaddict

Tivo HD/Series 3 replaces your cable box.
You need to get cable card(s) for the digital channels.
lqaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:54 AM   #3
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchou4u View Post
Hi, I recently got an upgraded Motorola DCH3200 receiver from COX for my HD TV. Now my original Tivo cannot change the channel on the Motorola receiver because the new receiver does not have a serial input port that I can use for this purchase. If I purchase a HD Tivo box, how should I connect the Motorola receiver to the Tivo so that I can change channel by using the Tivo remote control?

The setup that I used to have is:

Wall -> Motorola receiver -> Tivo -> A/V receiver -> TV

I used to have a serial cable that connected the Tivo to the Motorola receiver so that I can use the Tivo remote control to change channel on the Tivo, which in turn sends the channel change signal to the Motorola receiver through the serial cable.
Or use an IR mouse....
Series3 OLED STA1520 TA Activated 9/21/06
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
dchou4u

What cable cards do I need to buy for the Series 3 Tivo in order to get digital HK channels for COX in the LA area?

Right now I am renting the Motorola DCH3200 cable box from COX for $5/month. With the cable cards in the Tivo, I will not need the Motorola cable box? So the connection would be:

Wall -> Tivo -> A/V receiver -> TV ??

Will it be HDMI from Tivo to A/V receiver to TV?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2008, 02:08 PM   #5
KraziJoe
What? Me Worry?

Quote:
What cable cards do I need to buy for the Series 3 Tivo in order to get digital HK channels for COX in the LA area?

Right now I am renting the Motorola DCH3200 cable box from COX for $5/month. With the cable cards in the Tivo, I will not need the Motorola cable box? So the connection would be:

Wall -> Tivo -> A/V receiver -> TV ??

Will it be HDMI from Tivo to A/V receiver to TV?

Thanks
1. see if your area's Cox has SDV yet.
2. You would either need 2 S Cable Cards or 1 M Cable Card to get the digital, pay and HD channels
3. You can go HDMI from TIVO to Receiver, if your Receiver accept HDMI inputs.
KraziJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #6
dchou4u

Hi there, if I like to use a Tivo to replace the existing Motorola DCH3200 cable box from COX, can someone briefly explain the difference between the Tivo HD 180 minutes, and the Tivo HD Series3 300 minutes boxes?

I dont need to record a lot of HD shows. All I need is for it to properly decode the digitial signals from the wall and handle both HD and normal resolution shows. I also have wireless in my home. Can both of them be provisiioned via wireless? Do I need to purchase a wireless adapator to hook to the Tivo?
Old 02-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
dorian
Resident Noob

Quote:
Hi there, if I like to use a Tivo to replace the existing Motorola DCH3200 cable box from COX, can someone briefly explain the difference between the Tivo HD 180 minutes, and the Tivo HD Series3 300 minutes boxes?

I dont need to record a lot of HD shows. All I need is for it to properly decode the digitial signals from the wall and handle both HD and normal resolution shows. I also have wireless in my home. Can both of them be provisiioned via wireless? Do I need to purchase a wireless adapator to hook to the Tivo?
The major differences between the two boxes is hard drive capacity, a sexier remote on the Series 3, and THX audio. And the price. They both can use cable cards for digital cable straight from the wall and they both can go wireless. You do need the wireless adapter from Tivo for the Tivo HD box.

(By the way.... thats up to 180 hours, not minutes)

Last edited by dorian : 02-20-2008 at 02:35 PM.
dorian is offline   Reply With Quote