TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-19-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
billy_b_badass

Cool Help! Basic Networking Question

I'm sure somebody has already asked this before but I haven't been able to find a post about it.

I have new Series 3 Tivo downstairs and a Series 2 upstairs. Neither Tivo has convenient access to a phone jack so they both need to access the Tivo service via my home wireless network through my Lynksys router (WRT54G). Each Tivo has a Tivo brand wireless adapter. It's all set up and it works fine.

I would like to be able to be able to exchange programs occassionally between the Tivos (mainly from the Series 3 to the Series 2). I followed the instructions from Tivo's website and set up a peer-to-peer network to allow the Tivos send programming to each other.

So, now I have two networks set up and I have to switch between the two to allow the Tivo to be able call in or transfer programs between Tivos. Isn't there a set up where it can do both things without me having to manually change the network settings all the time?

Also, periodically when I switch between the networks it's not able reaquire the peer to peer connection. This has been happening for the past few days and I can't transfer any programming. It says on the network settings screens of both Tivos they are connected to the P2P network with "Excellent" signal strength. I've tried disconnecting both adapters and restarting both Tivos and they still don't see each other. Very frustrating!!!!

Please help.
billy_b_badass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
rturrentine

You should not have to setup two networks. Could the Tivos not see each other before when you initially set them up? You just need to setup the standard network, enable transfers on your Tivo account login and then you should be able to transfer shows.
rturrentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:58 PM   #3
billy_b_badass

Yes, after I set up the Series 3 the Tivos could not see each other.

Just now I set both of them to the wireless network and now they can see each other. I don't know why it didn't work before but it works now and I'm happy.

Thanks very much!
billy_b_badass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
dmlove51

It was probably just that you didn't wait long enough. Once you "enable transfers" on both, it takes a little while for the system to recognize that. Glad you got it working (MRV is my no. 1 favorite TiVO feature).
dmlove51 is offline   Reply With Quote