TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-15-2008, 12:50 AM   #1
socaltoolguy

Tivo without subscription???????

We have just started full time RVing and I have a series 2 dual tuner Tivo that I have brought along just to use for manual recording. Well, the first time I tried to use it after the info ran out it was off by one hour because we changed time zones. I tried to do a guided setup to change the time and got as far as the point where it tries to connect to a phone line. Since I don't have a phone line it stops there. What do I have to do to get back to where we can use it for recording? I was under the impression that I could still record with this unit. Am I wrong? Please help. Thanks,
Ray
socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:34 AM   #2
bgc

You can't record without the subscription service. While I'm not sure, I think the only way to get out of guided setup is to unplug it.

BGC
bgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:55 AM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgc View Post
You can't record without the subscription service. While I'm not sure, I think the only way to get out of guided setup is to unplug it.

BGC
The only way to get out of guided setup is to finish the guided setup.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:38 AM   #4
RoyK

You CAN use the internet instead of a phone line.

Since it appears that you do have internet access I suggest you get yourself a router and interface your TiVo to it. Whenever you park where you can access the internet force a connection to get guide info, and use guided setup to set your time and zip code to get TV listings etc.

Your TiVo won't work without a subscription so you will need to sign it up.
RoyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
socaltoolguy

Here is my dilemma. We cancelled our subscription when we moved into our rv. I am going to set up satellite with the DirecTv dvr. We only wanted to use the Tivo for secondary recording. We have a ton of stuff still on the Tivo that we haven't watched yet. I didn't really want to have to pay for a subscription when we are going to have satellite for recording on a regular basis. Just wanted the Tivo for other stuff. It doesn't make sense to me that the machine is rendered useless without a subscription. Shouldn't it still be useable as a recording device without the guide service. Isn't that what the manual recording by time and date and channel is for? I guess we have an expensive paper weight if that is the case. There must be an answer to this question. Thanks for any help, Ray.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
No.

It should NOT still be useable as a recording device without the guide service.

The Series 2 TiVos were made to work with the TiVo service, and in no other way.

(Take a look at your box, if you still have it.)

If you want a TiVo that'll work without a subscription, you'll need one that came with TiVo Basic (some of the DVD machines), or an old Series 1 that will work as a basic DVR, with you setting the time and channels yourself.

Even those will need to "phone home" one way or another to set up your channel list and keep the clock on track.

As for the term "paperweight", yep.

That's EXACTLY how Series 2 (and later) TiVos are described, when they aren't subscribed.

(PS- Your machine will still be able to play existing recordings once it's out of the setup phase...it just won't be able to make any new ones without a subscription.)
Old 02-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
TolloNodre
En Fuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaltoolguy View Post
It doesn't make sense to me that the machine is rendered useless without a subscription. Shouldn't it still be useable as a recording device without the guide service.
Well, it's like a cell phone. Without service, they're only good for dialing 911.
TolloNodre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:27 PM   #8
classicsat
Astute User

Quote:
It doesn't make sense to me that the machine is rendered useless without a subscription. Shouldn't it still be useable as a recording device without the guide service. Isn't that what the manual recording by time and date and channel is for?
Nope, it doesn't have to make sense. The fact is the TiVo you have (like most Series 2/3 models) requires a subscription to record in any fashion. Yuo desiring otherwise won't change that, at least by remarking about that here.

Recording by Time And Channel is for recording outside of the guide, usually for programs/periods not in the guide, or when guide data is not available. Since it counts as recording, it needs an active subscription to even use that, on Series 2/3 models.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
socaltoolguy

Ok, if that's the way it is so be it. Now, what do I have to do to make it work. We are traveling and moving constantly every week or two. If I get a wireless adapter and add it to my network, subscribe for the guide service and so on, will that work? Also, someone above stated that I could watch what is already recorded after going through the setup. How do I do that? It gets to a point that it wants to dial in or connect wirelessly. Is there a way around that? I would like to view what I have recorded. I don't mind renewing my subscription as I love the way Tivo works. I just didn't think it would work out with our traveling so often. Do I have to use an adapter from Tivo or can I buy one at BestBuy or some other vendor? Thanks everybody for all your help. I am just frustrated. If I came across otherwise, I apologize.
Ray
Old 02-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #10
lessd

Quote:
Ok, if that's the way it is so be it. Now, what do I have to do to make it work. We are traveling and moving constantly every week or two. If I get a wireless adapter and add it to my network, subscribe for the guide service and so on, will that work? Also, someone above stated that I could watch what is already recorded after going through the setup. How do I do that? It gets to a point that it wants to dial in or connect wirelessly. Is there a way around that? I would like to view what I have recorded. I don't mind renewing my subscription as I love the way Tivo works. I just didn't think it would work out with our traveling so often. Do I have to use an adapter from Tivo or can I buy one at BestBuy or some other vendor? Thanks everybody for all your help. I am just frustrated. If I came across otherwise, I apologize.
Ray
If your moving all the time and having to change guide data for recording, are you going to have a wireless network available to you at each place ? You must have a phone or network connection to get through the guid setup, but if you did a clear and delete everything you will not have anything to watch on the TiVo. To record you need service from TiVo and a way for the TiVo to call home. If you are going to a wireless adapter get the TiVo brand as its the best and about $40 at Amazon.com but that means you are setting up a wireless router at each move, how are you going to do that. If you do have something recorded on the TiVo and you can find a phone or Internet service to get the guided setup done, AND you did not do a clear and delete everything you will be able to watch without a sub.

It's hard for me to understand what going on with you as if you did not have a sub why did you start the guided setup? You can move the TiVo anywhere and still watch what you have recorded without running the guided setup and you do not need a sub.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #11
classicsat
Astute User

You can use the wireless adapter to connect to any open network or any network that has security compatible with TiVo, and you can get the password for. If you have to log in through a web browser, you need to connect the TiVo through your computer.

To be able to at least view the recordings that are there, you need to connect it to phone or network to complete guided setup. You can do that without a TiVo subscription.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:35 PM   #12
socaltoolguy

Ok, let me try to explain. We are full time RVers living on the road. I have a network setup in our trailer so we can both be on our computers and surf the web and do email. We are using an aircard with a router. Last Thursday night I tried to record Survivor by feeding in the time and date and channel. Well all went well except here in Arizona the time is off by an hour from Ca. I tried to allow for that but still missed the time by an hour. I got the last five minutes of the show because I had started it five minutes early and let it run five minutes long. Anyway, I figured that the clock in the Tivo must be off so I tried to do a guided setup just to change the time. Big mistake. I wasn't thinking about the connect up situation. I haven't deleted any of the programs or settings that I had so it is all still there if I can just get to it. I figured that if I can get a wireless adapter and set it up in my network that then the Tivo can connect through the internet. So I guess I have to get the adapter first then configure it. Does it sound like I am on the right track? I do appreciate your help and advice on getting this thing figured out. Now I just have to figure out how to get the satellite hooked up. That's another matter.
Ray
Old 02-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #13
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

You'll still need a subscription.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:56 PM   #14
classicsat
Astute User

I fully understand your situation. Everything stated still stands.

You don't need a subscription to complete guided setup, but it needs to connect to the TiVo service to do so, and as such will get its current real subscription status. It will play recordings without subscription, but needs subscribed to "record" in any fashion or use networking features.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:00 PM   #15
socaltoolguy

Thanks for all the help. I am going to have to find a way to hook up. I will probably buy an adapter so I can do it wirelessly. More than likely if I do that I might as well go ahead and renew my subscription.
Ray