TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-12-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
milo99

Cox NoVA customers- question for you about recent programming

so i'm a NoVA Cox customer with the TA, and only subscribe to the regular expanded digital cable, plus the sports tier. No movie tiers, no premiums (HBO, showtime etc).

now, i HAD showtime last year through a promo, but haven't for about 10 months now. That was the only premium i had showing on my channel list, as i just removed the others. well, last night, i was flipping through, and accidentally went to 702 and i got programming. i thought that was odd.

So i added the other premium movie channels (at least the HD ones) to my channel list, and i can see programming on HBO, HBO2, Cinexmax, TMC, STZ and i think more. i can't see MoreMax or Encore (or that might be a different one).

Now, i'm curious, is there a promo or free preview going on? or did this new software (i have the 11h now) unlock some stuff in my CCs? or i wonder if since i recently moved 2 months ago if they set me up with that stuff by accident.... hmmm... now that i think about it, maybe that's what happened...

funny thing is, i'm switching to FiOS next week, so oh well. it did make me rethink that idea though.
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
drevilkep

I have Cox in Fairfax and I also have HBO, Showtime, etc. and I don't subscribe to them. Must be a free preview. If you're switching to FiOS because of SDV or crappy CableCARD support, you might like to know that TiVo and Cox recently announced a partnership where Cox will support TiVo users better, including things like VoD and MRV. http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/12/c...irst-with-cab/
drevilkep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevilkep View Post
I have Cox in Fairfax and I also have HBO, Showtime, etc. and I don't subscribe to them. Must be a free preview. If you're switching to FiOS because of SDV or crappy CableCARD support, you might like to know that TiVo and Cox recently announced a partnership where Cox will support TiVo users better, including things like VoD and MRV. http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/12/c...irst-with-cab/
interesting on both counts. but the new partnership doesn't say anything about better TA performance. as far as i can tell, it's going to still need that damn TA right? Lack of VOD hasn't been that big a deal. and right now, i also have no plans to get a Premiere.

that's half my reason for switching. the other is that my bill will be about $15-20 less per month with about the same channels but faster 10mbps faster internet speeds.

So for the next couple years at least, that press release won't be making any impact on me.... yet... it is encouraging though. maybe in the future they'll have a Tivo that doesn't require a TA for SDV and then i'll look at switching back if it's worth the price.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
drevilkep

No word on if the TA requirement will still be there. My guess is that it will. The big thing for me is that Cox customer service reps will (hopefully) understand the basics of Tivos, CableCARDs, and TAs. I'm also hoping there won't be anymore truck rolls for CableCARD related stuff. FiOS has been known to charge $70 for a CableCARD truck roll. Doesn't mean I wouldn't switch once FiOS comes to my neighborhood, but I would wait until the Cox/TiVO deal is official and starts bearing fruit.
drevilkep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
deaddeeds
Go Hokies

I am a NoVA Cox customer with a TA and no I cannot access those channels, so enjoy them while you can. But if you get channels 200 to 209, they added 786, EPIX that is a movie channel.
deaddeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #6
jcaudle

Cox and TA

As a former Cox customer that recently (may) changed to Fios, I can only say I am relieved to not have to deal with channel losses due to the TA, reboots caused on my Tivo. and being able to use MRV for almost all channels, none of Cox's artificial CCI flags blocking content transfer. The internet is faster and more reliable...and Motorola cable cards...none of that Cisco/Scientific Atlanta junk...I urge anyone that has access to Fios, to change.
jcaudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:46 AM   #7
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaudle View Post
As a former Cox customer that recently (may) changed to Fios, I can only say I am relieved to not have to deal with channel losses due to the TA, reboots caused on my Tivo. and being able to use MRV for almost all channels, none of Cox's artificial CCI flags blocking content transfer. The internet is faster and more reliable...and Motorola cable cards...none of that Cisco/Scientific Atlanta junk...I urge anyone that has access to Fios, to change.
in a few days, i'll be with you there man! Friday is the install date, they've already run the cable to my house and installed the new ONT (or at least i think that's what it is- it's a new box where the old phone line box was).

got a question for you though- did you have old RG59 cables running from the Cox demarc to your outlets? and if so, did they run new RG6? it's a fairly short run for them to do it for my place if needed (well, except for the one in the upstairs bedroom that's on the other side of the house, but i don't have that jack live right now, perhaps in the future)... i wonder if it is though since the FiOS stream is supposedly uncompressed unlike the Cox stream...
Old 08-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #8
djones18

I've been using TiVo HD, TA, Cablecard on Cox SDV here in Northern Virginia since TA's were available on day-one of SDV changeover. I'll change to FIOs in a heartbeat when it's offered in my area. Intermittent and niggling problems with signal loss, channel loss then recovery, TA dropping out of system and unexplained TiVo freezes have caused me to become my own technician...something no normal consumer should have to do. Having said all that, I'd never, never go back to a Cox DVR!

A TiVo HD/Premiere on a SDV cableco sytem with cablecards and tuning adapters is not for the feint-of-heart. The technology challenges to keep it all operating and in sync are many and complex...this is a fragile alliance. Thousands upon thousands of problem threads in this forum attest to that. My 80 year old mom would have thrown the whole system out of her 10th story assisted living facility by now!
djones18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
jcaudle

Cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo99 View Post
in a few days, i'll be with you there man! Friday is the install date, they've already run the cable to my house and installed the new ONT (or at least i think that's what it is- it's a new box where the old phone line box was).

got a question for you though- did you have old RG59 cables running from the Cox demarc to your outlets? and if so, did they run new RG6? it's a fairly short run for them to do it for my place if needed (well, except for the one in the upstairs bedroom that's on the other side of the house, but i don't have that jack live right now, perhaps in the future)... i wonder if it is though since the FiOS stream is supposedly uncompressed unlike the Cox stream...
They used the existing cables...didn't run new cable in the house...just that giant adapter box...and their modem...my N router wouldn't work with it...so I am using the verizon router...which is only Gspeed.
jcaudle is offline   Reply With Quote