TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-02-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
narbertb

Converting .tivo to .mp4

Hi all,

My brother has a tivo 2 series and just learned to use tivo to go to move the files to his windows system. The whole point is to be able to remove commercials and make complitation dvds of his favorite wrestlers.

So i had him take his files and dump them to a usb hard drive to give to me because he said he didn't know how to convert .mp2 to .mp4 which is what his pinnacle software likes.

I was gonna just throw em thru quicktime but the files are .tivo. Is there a simple way to convert a .tivo file to .mp4. tivodecode manager looks like a great product but i'm not at my bro's house often and he won't unplug it and bring it over so i can pull the files directly. I have a mac and he has windows and i haven't found a program like tivodecode for windows.

So back to the question what app can i use to convert .tivo to .mp4.

Thanks
narbertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:26 AM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

If all he wants to do is burn TiVo shows to DVDs then tell him to get a copy of VideoReDo TVSuite.* With it he can open the TiVo files directly (no need to decrypt them first), quickly edit out the commercials and then save them to a DVD all from one program.

Using the process you're describing you'll be converting the TiVo files from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 then back to MPEG-2. This will not only take a significant amount of time but it will reduce the quality of the video. VideoReDo opens and edits the files in their native MPEG-2 format, so the video on the DVD is exactly the same quality as the original TiVo file. Also you can tell your brother that if he has any questions or problems using VRD to contact me directly and I will help him out.

Dan

* Disclaimer: I am one of the developers for VideoReDo. However I've been a user of the product longer then I've been a developer for the company, so that says something. Plus if you look around the forums and you'll see that VRD comes highly recommended by many other TiVo users as well.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
narbertb

Not quite what he's doing

Lets say he recorded 2 weeks of his wrestling...

Now he wants to take all the footage of wrestler A (don't know names of any of them) from the last 2 weeks and just cut him out.

Then make a compilation dvd of just that wrestler. Will the program you're talking about do that?

I'm new to video editing myself. But mine is easy... i have an elgato eyeTV.
narbertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Absolutely! You can cut up the programs however you want.

Dan
Old 02-29-2008, 07:21 AM   #5
kas25

Is there no easy way to edit Mpeg4 files. I only need the ability to cut off a portion in the beginning and/or end of the files.
kas25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:21 AM   #6
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas25 View Post
Is there no easy way to edit Mpeg4 files. I only need the ability to cut off a portion in the beginning and/or end of the files.
MPEG Streamclip.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:37 AM   #7
jkalnin
Baad Spellor

Here is another vote for VideoRedo. It also clips out commercials as well.
jkalnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #8
TimothyGraham

Mac OS X Option?

Does anyone know of a Mac option to convert a .tivo file to mp4?
TimothyGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #9
Davelnlr_

I have Video ReDo H.264, and all I get are errors it cant open the files mpeg4 part 2, or the audio codec is unsupported. Is there a version that will open these different files? Apparently I bought the wrong version, as it only opens the files I create with Hauppauge capture box.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

We don't support MPEG-4 part 2, we only support H.264 and MPEG-2. MPEG-4 part 2 is the old code that DivX and Xvid are based on. Nobody really uses it any more. H.264 is the newer MPEG-4 part 10. Where did you get these files?
Old 08-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
Davelnlr_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
We don't support MPEG-4 part 2, we only support H.264 and MPEG-2. MPEG-4 part 2 is the old code that DivX and Xvid are based on. Nobody really uses it any more. H.264 is the newer MPEG-4 part 10. Where did you get these files?
Torrents of some old 60's TV shows
Old 08-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
unitron

Dan, the link

http://www.videoredo.com/en/Download.htm

in your comment #2 above leads to a page offering 3 products.

How about a simple explanation of how they differ from each other for those of us who don't know much more than the fact that video *can* be in some digital form?

I need to turn some .tivo files into DVDs, but not sure how much surgery I want to perform on them before putting them on the disc, and also when it comes to burning DVDs, I've only done .iso to cd so far, although I do have PCs with DVD burners.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:56 PM   #13
Davelnlr_

http://www.videoredo.com/en/Compare.htm

That link compares the three products
Old 08-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelnlr_ View Post
http://www.videoredo.com/en/Compare.htm

That link compares the three products
And does so in terms with which I am unfamiliar.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #15
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Dan, the link

http://www.videoredo.com/en/Download.htm

in your comment #2 above leads to a page offering 3 products.

How about a simple explanation of how they differ from each other for those of us who don't know much more than the fact that video *can* be in some digital form?

I need to turn some .tivo files into DVDs, but not sure how much surgery I want to perform on them before putting them on the disc, and also when it comes to burning DVDs, I've only done .iso to cd so far, although I do have PCs with DVD burners.
Let's call the 3 VRD versions V1 ("plus", $50), V2 ("TV Suite, $75) and V3 (TV
Suite H.264, $96).

V1 will edit only MPEG2 files (including TiVo files) and will NOT create DVD's.

V2 will edit only MPEG2 files and WILL create DVD's. This is probably what you need, although I can't guarantee some of the additional features of V3 might not be important or essential to your process.

V3 will edit both MPEG2 and MPEG4 H.264 files (but not the older MPEG4 Part 2, e.g. divx and xvid) files. And will make DVD's. It doesn't appear you need the H.264 capability.

V2 and V3 can make the DVD in the form of an ISO file if you prefer, which can be burned to the DVD using separate (free) software (e.g., imgburn or dvddecrypter). Or they can burn their DVD output directly to the DVD (all of which requires you to have a DVD burner drive, of course).

DVD by definition is a SD format (usually 704x480 or 720x480) that does not encompass HD. For HD formats you need to make Blu-Ray or AVCHD files, which no version of VRD will do. V2 or V3 can create a DVD from HD input files but it will automatically recode them down to DVD (SD) resolution in the process. Whether this is acceptable is your decision.

You can free-trial VRD uncrippled for 15 days if you perform the free trial registration provided in the menu system. Since you will probably eventually want to process H.264 files, I would recommend spending the extra $21 for V3.

Hope that helps and may I say it's refreshing to see an area of knowledge on this forum in which you are not an expert.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #16
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Suite H.264, $96).

V2 will edit only MPEG2 files and WILL create DVD's. This is probably what you need, although I can't guarantee some of the additional features of V3 might not be important or essential to your process.

V3 will edit both MPEG2 and MPEG4 H.264 files (but not the older MPEG4 Part 2, e.g. divx and xvid) files. And will make DVD's. It doesn't appear you need the H.264 capability.

V2 and V3 can make the DVD in the form of an ISO file if you prefer, which can be burned to the DVD using separate (free) software (e.g., imgburn or dvddecrypter). Or they can burn their DVD output directly to the DVD (all of which requires you to have a DVD burner drive, of course).

DVD by definition is a SD format (usually 704x480 or 720x480) that does not encompass HD. For HD formats you need to make Blu-Ray or AVCHD files, which no version of VRD will do. V2 or V3 can create a DVD from HD input files but it will automatically recode them down to DVD (SD) resolution in the process. Whether this is acceptable is your decision.

You can free-trial VRD uncrippled for 15 days if you perform the free trial registration provided in the menu system. Since you will probably eventually want to process H.264 files, I would recommend spending the extra $21 for V3.

Hope that helps and may I say it's refreshing to see an area of knowledge on this forum in which you are not an expert.
Dan probably couldn't have done much better!

Many thanks.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #17
Dan203
Super Moderator

TVSuite v4 w/H.264 also has recoding capabilities, so you can convert your .tivo files to H.264 for playback on a portable device, or just to save some space before uploading it back to your TiVo. (Premiere units support H.264 .tivo files)
Old 08-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #18
ShayL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyGraham View Post
Does anyone know of a Mac option to convert a .tivo file to mp4?
You can use kmttg.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #19
slimjim867

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayL View Post
You can use kmttg.

I just tried using kmttg. It produced a .mpg file. My kindle does not recognize it. Is there a way to change the output of kmttg to mp4?

Thank you
slimjim867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:49 PM   #20
unitron

Quote:
Suite H.264, $96).

When you say

"V1 will edit only MPEG2 files (including TiVo files) and will NOT create DVD's."

does that mean that if I took out the commercials and left the show, or took out the show and left the commercials, it would still be a .tivo file, only smaller?

Or does it turn it into something that some other software, like the bundled verison of Nero, can burn to DVD and produce something playable on the average DVD player?

And when you say

"V2 will edit only MPEG2 files and WILL create DVD's. This is probably what you need, although I can't guarantee some of the additional features of V3 might not be important or essential to your process."

does that mean that it's basically V1 with added software that talks directly to my DVD burner drive so that Nero or whatever doesn't have to get involved?

And if I have, for example, 2 .tivo files, each a one hour show, and want to put both on one DVD playable in average DVD players, is a compilation like that possible?

When it comes to optical disks (cd and DVD and the various file formats and Red Books and Yellow Books and .iso files and such), I know a lot about vinyl phonograph records, turntables, magnetic cartridges, stylii, and VHS tape machines.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:24 AM   #21
ggieseke

You can save files as .TiVo or straight MPEG-2, but that still won't make a DVD that will work in most players. You need DVD "authoring" software to create the menus, VOB files, etc. NeroVision Express can handle that part of the job but I don't think it comes with the version of Nero that's usually bundled with some PCs.

VRD TVSuite includes its own authoring package and you can burn the image directly or save it to disk and burn with something else.

In my experience, 90 minutes is just about the limit for a single layer (4.7GB) DVD. Two average 1 hour shows with the commercials removed is just right.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:51 AM   #22
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Suite H.264, $96).

Quote:
When you say

"V1 will edit only MPEG2 files (including TiVo files) and will NOT create DVD's."

does that mean that if I took out the commercials and left the show, or took out the show and left the commercials, it would still be a .tivo file, only smaller?

Or does it turn it into something that some other software, like the bundled verison of Nero, can burn to DVD and produce something playable on the average DVD player?

And when you say

"V2 will edit only MPEG2 files and WILL create DVD's. This is probably what you need, although I can't guarantee some of the additional features of V3 might not be important or essential to your process."

does that mean that it's basically V1 with added software that talks directly to my DVD burner drive so that Nero or whatever doesn't have to get involved?

And if I have, for example, 2 .tivo files, each a one hour show, and want to put both on one DVD playable in average DVD players, is a compilation like that possible?

When it comes to optical disks (cd and DVD and the various file formats and Red Books and Yellow Books and .iso files and such), I know a lot about vinyl phonograph records, turntables, magnetic cartridges, stylii, and VHS tape machines.
V1 and V2 process several formats of MPEG2 PS (Program Stream) video, including .mpg, .tivo, .vob and .dvr-ms. Thus specifically, you can input and/or edit .tivo and output any of those formats.

When you set up a DVD in V2 or V3 it will tell you whether your video content fits on a single- or dual-layer DVD. DVD output can be files (ISO or Video_TS) that can be burned to DVD using separate burner software (e.g., imgburn) or VRD will burn directly to the DVD.

and
Old 01-07-2014, 06:43 AM   #23
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
You can save files as .TiVo or straight MPEG-2, but that still won't make a DVD that will work in most players. You need DVD "authoring" software to create the menus, VOB files, etc. NeroVision Express can handle that part of the job but I don't think it comes with the version of Nero that's usually bundled with some PCs.

VRD TVSuite includes its own authoring package and you can burn the image directly or save it to disk and burn with something else.

In my experience, 90 minutes is just about the limit for a single layer (4.7GB) DVD. Two average 1 hour shows with the commercials removed is just right.
I'm unfamiliar with the experience of buying or owning a new PC.

Whatever versions of Nero I have came with new DVD decks I bought and installed in old PCs I've cobbled together.

So a single layer DVD, which I assume is the first version released, wasn't big enough for a single 2 hour movie?

Old 01-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #24
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
So a single layer DVD, which I assume is the first version released, wasn't big enough for a single 2 hour movie?
SL DVD holds 4.7GB which, for a 2 hr video, computes to an average bitrate of about 5.2Mbps, which must include audio and other overhead. This can provide decent PQ but you probably have to recode the video to this bitrate (and to DVD resolution, if not already there). V2 or V3 automatically recode for resolution when making a DVD image. It's been a while since I used it to make a DVD but I think you can adjust parameters on the recode that is implicit to making the DVD to fit 2 hrs into a SL DVD. If not you might have to do a separate recode in VRD to get a .mpg of the proper size (i.e., reduced bitrate) and dimensions.

and
Old 01-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #25
Soapm

Quote:
I'm unfamiliar with the experience of buying or owning a new PC.

Whatever versions of Nero I have came with new DVD decks I bought and installed in old PCs I've cobbled together.

Do a search for DVD shrink and you can put a 4 hour movie on a single layer. You can go down in quality until there's not enough beer to make the show viewable.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #26
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Do a search for DVD shrink and you can put a 4 hour movie on a single layer. You can go down in quality until there's not enough beer to make the show viewable.
Now that's what I call a practical metric for PQ!

and
Old 01-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #27
ggieseke

Quote:
Now that's what I call a practical metric for PQ!

Old 01-08-2014, 12:35 AM   #28
unitron

Before there were recordable DVD blanks, as I dimly recall, there were commercially available manufactured DVDs with stuff that had aged out of movie theaters and off of HBO.

Could a single one of those not accommodate a 120 minute movie?

Old 01-08-2014, 04:50 AM   #29
ggieseke

All of the commercial DVDs that I've seen are dual-layer, so they can hold about 3 hours.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:38 AM   #30
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Back when I used to rip a lot of DVDs, I found that the majority of them were encoded to just fit on a single-layer disc. This was true even when the disc itself was dual-layer -- the main title was kept under 4.7 GB, while the remaining space was given over to extras. I assume this was done to allow mastering a single-layer version without extras.

And when I used to make DVDs from DirecTiVo Series 2 recordings, I could typically get about three movies onto a single-layer disc.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 01-10-2014 at 01:34 PM.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote