TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-07-2008, 09:42 AM   #91
bigdave2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by celly View Post
Can anyone Verify that BHN _DID NOT_ switch to SDV?
It hasn't been fully verified YET but so far this is what I have found:

This Post from Barry928 at the AVS Forum states this:

"Hang on. I am seeing a pattern here. BHN intends to move the new HD channels to SDV along with some others so they told the computer to limit channels for everyone with cable card service and now they have entangled the Tivo customers with that broad policy."

Along with this:

"I can confirm SDV will be deployed with MDN which is being rolled out on a limited basis right now with new DVR's. BHN will need to switch over all users to MDN to deploy SDV" (MDN is the new GUI interface on the DVR/STB's)

Last thing is the fact the on the 1st TBSHD worked and AETVHD did not, and now the opposite is true.

To me this all seems like a big push to get cablecard people on the BHN DVR before the dongle is available.
bigdave2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #92
TiVoToo

It is very frustrating that we cannot get a consistent, reasonable explanation from BHN as to why this they have limited HD channels to CableCARD-based STBs. BHN CSRs are all over the map in their responses - it is SDV, it's not SDV, it's your TiVo, CableCARD not compatible with new HD, etc. However, they all concur on one response:

YOUR PROBLEM IS NOT THE FAULT OF BHN!

The first step to recovery is to first admit that there is a problem. BHN has yet to take this first step. Until they do, we will get no satisfaction.
TiVoToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:23 PM   #93
BobCamp1

They are doing it to force non-Tivo CableCard customers to switch to the new DVR. Because they will need to.

Tivo users are caught in the cross-fire. Assuming the USB SDV box will get deployed, Tivo users have no such issues and do not need to be forced to switch. The HD channels should be viewable in the meantime. BHN doesn't have their act together, and the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Just call them up, explain the situation, and hopefully they'll reactivate those channels on your account.

Good luck.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:39 PM   #94
bigdave2004

Official BHN is NOT SDV

So here is an e-mail I just got:

Dear bigdave2004:

I apologize for the issues you are having with your TiVO equipment. Bright House Networks has not launched SDV that is planned for later this year. With the rising demand for new HD channels and new programming in general, Bright House must move to this new technology to satisfy the needs of our customers.

I read the Blog attached to your Message and some of the information that is posted there is not correct. As you may have read, the first generation of cable cards that are installed in your TiVO HD DVR are no longer supported by the manufactures because of a new generation of cable cards (M-cards) will be coming out late in the second quarter of this year. In addition, there currently are not any TV manufactures that are building cable card TVs that utilize the first generation one-way cable cards. To my knowledge, TiVO is the only manufacturer still building a product that uses one-way cable cards. Since the one-way cards won’t be supported by the manufacture or by TV manufacturing companies we have stopped adding channel capacity to those cards which is why you are unable to view the HD channels that were launched on February 1st. The downside to purchasing your equipment is that when technology changes, as it does all too frequently, the consumer is often left out in the cold.

TiVO has been working with a cable industry think tank called CableLabs and has developed a USB adapter that will make the current version of TiVO HD and HD DVRs fully compatible with SDV, all of our HD channels and all of interactive services. Your current TiVO product doesn’t support any of our interactive services and never could with one-way cable cards. This product will be available for purchase by consumers sometime in the second quarter of this year according to TiVO.

Mark A. Clark
Sr. Director of Field Operations
Bright House Networks

This guy thinks I'm a moron. Stopped adding channels to the cards? WTF, this proves they are purposely limiting cablecard users.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:11 PM   #95
bigdave2004

So I just talked to Mark on the phone and I told him I had an M-Card, and I also pointed out that the M-Cards in the SA8300HDC are receiving the channels. I also pointed out the fact that I didn't just lose the new channels on Feb 1, I also lost existing channels as well (TBSHD, AETVHD, HGTVHD), he wasn't aware of that. I asked why they couldn't add the service tags for the new channels to the m-cards, he didn't have an answer but is going to get one so maybe this will be good news.

-Dave
Old 02-07-2008, 01:27 PM   #96
PopcornGuy

Makes no sense. I switched to two m-cards back when 9.1 came out and the cablecards had all those problems that 9.2 fixed. Brighthouse gave me an HD DVR today to use at no additional cost until the Tivo fix comes along. Through the holes on top of it I CAN SEE AN M-CARD IN THERE!!! Since they are not yet SDV, it definitely seems like they are purposely restricting those cards that are not in their boxes. Because of pairing necessities I don't think I can pull out their "unlocked" card and put it in my Tivo...can I? Anyways, I think I'd rather have just the SD versions of channels right now if there is still a ray of hope.
PopcornGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:38 PM   #97
bigdave2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopcornGuy View Post
I CAN SEE AN M-CARD IN THERE!!!
Yah if you look on the back there is a door that says M-Card with a piece of tape over it. I am starting to think Brighthouse doesn't know what they are doing because if they are just giving out free DVR's its not really helping their bottom line to do this but well I am still not sure ...
Old 02-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #98
celly

This is how I just explained the issue to a friend.. Kinda made me giggle..

"... Over the last year, we all purchased two puppies from Brighthouse. On February First we woke up and all of our puppies were really sick. When we called Bright House to make an appointment for a check up, they told us that if we didn't switch to Bright House Brand Puppy Chow, Our puppies would die ..."
celly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #99
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Quote:
Originally Posted by celly View Post
This is how I just explained the issue to a friend.. Kinda made me giggle..

"... Over the last year, we all purchased two puppies from Brighthouse. On February First we woke up and all of our puppies were really sick. When we called Bright House to make an appointment for a check up, they told us that if we didn't switch to Bright House Brand Puppy Chow, Our puppies would die ..."

Actually, it's more like this:

"If you don't switch for BH Puppy Chow, your dog will die. To compensate you for your loss, we'll give you a fish"
Series 2 DT
Assorted other humans and animals
Okeemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:46 PM   #100
notnow117

I just got the rundown on my options from brighthouse customer service. The choices they gave me are...

Quote:
Customers with CableCARD televisions can choose from four (4) options:

1.) Upgrade to HD service with Digital SmartBox (trade in CableCARD)
2.) No-monthly-fee HD Digital Receiver (trade in CableCARD)
3.) Keep CableCARD without receiving newly added HD channels
4.) Keep the CableCARD and ADD the free HD Digital Receiver to the same
TV using a splitter

The offer includes offering a free regular HD digital box, not an HD DVR
digital box.
As far as I'm concerned, options 1 and 3 are them not really doing anything. Option 2 sucks because I can't use my TiVo anymore and don't get any DVR functionality in return. And I fail to see why anyone would choose option 2 when they could choose option 4 instead. Option 4 is close to reasonable, but they should be offering a DVR instead of a receiver.

Has anyone gotten a straight answer yet on why this is happening?
notnow117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #101
eabu

bigdave2004, could you contact the consumerist.com about your story?
eabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #102
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

How do I know what kind of card (MCARD/SCARD) I have?
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #103
edju

We have a Series 3 Tivo with two M cards, don't have the new channels and have lost the usual channels in other posts.

Just wanted to weigh in since BH seems to think this combo isn't possible and the root of our latest frustrations.

I just don't understand why a "service" provider cares what equipment I use. Lets see they don't have to invest in R&D or support the equipment. All they need to do is provide the best service they can. Seems like both BH and DTV have forgotten about the "service" part of their business. Considering I can take my business elsewhere such as me canceling DTV, why would one company give me reason to leave if keeping me is no cost to them. I just don't understand the business side of it. Why would you expend resources to actively pursue ways to lose customers!!!!
edju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:36 PM   #104
bigdave2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by eabu View Post
bigdave2004, could you contact the consumerist.com about your story?
Not yet, I actually know one of the editors and we chat on AIM from time to time but I think this maybe overly technical for the consumerist, but I have been contacted by the Orlando Sentinel to do an interview so expect to see that soon.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:35 AM   #105
eitingon

In the Sentinel this morning: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...,6368421.story

I have one (1) M-Card in my HD TiVo and, of course, I lost/am not receiving like everybody else here...
eitingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:00 AM   #106
tivoknucklehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by eitingon View Post
In the Sentinel this morning: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...,6368421.story

I have one (1) M-Card in my HD TiVo and, of course, I lost/am not receiving like everybody else here...

at least this has gone public now and the thing I like is BH is committed to a fix
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:38 AM   #107
TiVoToo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eitingon View Post
There are some errors in the story that should be corrected:
1. There are more than a "handful" affected.
2. BHN is providing a free HD STB, not a free HD DVR, until adapter comes out.
3. No explanation from senior VP as to why BHN's own DVR, which uses CableCARD, is not affected.
4. VP needed to be asked why CableCARD users were not informed of channel limitation prior to its implementation.

OTOH, it does provide some publicity for CableCARD. The more subscribers that elect to use the device, the less likely this kind of stuff will happen in the future.
TiVoToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:09 AM   #108
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoToo View Post
3. No explanation from senior VP as to why BHN's own DVR, which uses CableCARD, is not affected.
4. VP needed to be asked why CableCARD users were not informed of channel limitation prior to its implementation.

OTOH, it does provide some publicity for CableCARD. The more subscribers that elect to use the device, the less likely this kind of stuff will happen in the future.
It also puts BHN as opposed to the generic "Cable Industry" on record that they are indeed working with Tivo on the dongle. That is at least gives some assurance that BHN is planning on supporting them.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:25 AM   #109
cableguy763

Quote:

3. The cablecard is not the problem. It is the host device, i.e. Tivo, which does not have two way capability. Cable boxes with cablecards are two way capable.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:38 AM   #110
celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy763 View Post
3. The cablecard is not the problem. It is the host device, i.e. Tivo, which does not have two way capability. Cable boxes with cablecards are two way capable.
Why would you need 2-Way capabilities to watch Animal Planet HD, Food Network HD, or HGTV HD?
Old 02-08-2008, 08:44 AM   #111
acvthree

Quote:

Why would you need two way communication to watch a non-SDV, non-VOD, non-PPV channel?

Al
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:51 AM   #112
therlin

Quote:
I'm getting a free HD DVR until the adapter comes out. I was told that this policy has changed lately though, so you may want to call back (if you are interested in a free HD DVR)
therlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #113
JWThiers
Smartypants

SDV or Switched Digital Video needs a two way to work and BHN and others are moving to this technology. Any channel using SDV are not viewable to Cable Card users. Reading between the lines of the Orlando Sentinel
Quote:
In preparing for a new cable delivery technology called "Switched Digital Video," Bright House decided not to deliver these channels to the CableCard customers, Orduna said. The four channels -- HGTV HD, TBS HD, The History Channel HD and Food Network HD -- were pulled last Friday, when Bright House rolled out five new HD channels.

"It was a mistake on our part for doing that and for having it out there inadvertently," Orduna said. "We are all about creating value with new technology. And sometimes there are hiccups when implementing new technology."
BHN is planning on moving to SDV but hasn't yet. They are restricting access to their new HD channels because they figure its easier to never give you something in the first place rather than taking it away at a later date. Good assumption by the way, look at everyone complaining about having fewer channels now because the took 4 away, they just had poor implementation by letting 4 channels out and are taking them back. But it does beg to question with the Tivo Dongle also coming out 2nd quarter to enable SDV compatibility why not let the Tivo CC users get the channels because they are going to be getting a dongle when they come out anyway and will be able to get them anyway.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:56 AM   #114
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by acvthree View Post
Why would you need two way communication to watch a non-SDV, non-VOD, non-PPV channel?

Al
Because he asked why the cable co's boxes are not affected.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:14 AM   #115
therlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWThiers View Post
They are restricting access to their new HD channels because they figure its easier to never give you something in the first place rather than taking it away at a later date. Good assumption by the way, look at everyone complaining about having fewer channels now because the took 4 away, they just had poor implementation by letting 4 channels out and are taking them back. But it does beg to question with the Tivo Dongle also coming out 2nd quarter to enable SDV compatibility why not let the Tivo CC users get the channels because they are going to be getting a dongle when they come out anyway and will be able to get them anyway.
Exactly. Ideally they should unblock those channels and then send a letter to CableCARD customers a few weeks before they TRULY need to make those channels unavailable. THAT would be good customer service, not what they've done now.
therlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:47 AM   #116
acvthree

Quote:
Because he asked why the cable co's boxes are not affected.
The cable co's boxes that use cable cards don't need two way communications to receive non-SDV, non-PPV and non-VOD channels.

BH is using their control of the cable head ends to artificially block channels to cablecard third party STBs that are available to their own cablecard STBs.

This is not a technological issue. This is a marketing decision.

Al
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #117
celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by therlin View Post
Exactly. Ideally they should unblock those channels and then send a letter to CableCARD customers a few weeks before they TRULY need to make those channels unavailable. THAT would be good customer service, not what they've done now.
Agreed. If they had sent a letter stating what was going to happen I think we would of all coped a little better. So, instead of BHN making this a TiVo issue, they have made it a BHN issue.

I mean, they send me something every week to switch to their Digital Phone service -- So it's not like they are strapped for cash on postage.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:01 AM   #118
moyekj

You guys should consider yourselves very lucky. At least BHN stepped up to the plate and is offering a free HD DVR until the tuning resolver solution surfaces. That is a lot more than I have heard any other provider rolling out SDV offering. Only wish Cox Orange County, CA would offer such a deal for the 8 HD channels I cannot receive even though SDV hasn't deployed here yet...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:12 AM   #119
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

This story finally hit engadget.

Edit: How exactly is this legal? I realize the cable companies can pretty much do whatever they want and Tivo users are a drop in the pond, but doesn't this seem like a class action lawsuit (I hate bringing that up as much as often as it is thrown out around here)? There is not any technical reason to do this and it seems (on the surface) to be illegal. It seems there might be a reasonable (i.e. non threatening) way to bring this up to Brighthouse but I am not a lawyer....

Last edited by dig_duggler : 02-08-2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Add a question
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:24 AM   #120
bigdave2004

Ok Spoke to Mark Clark, Senior Director of Field Ops again he said that the executive board is going to review the changes that engineer made sometime next week. He stated they did not think it would have the impact that it did and that its become quite the PR headache for them . I told him that TiVo customers are a loyal, vocal, and very technical bunch. So we may win after all, I hope. I said I would give him a call in a week to see what the result of that meeting would be. He offered me a free HD DVR again but I turned it down until after the meeting.

-Dave