TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #61
JWThiers
Smartypants

Since I am a new Brighthouse (Brevard) customer (I had my install on 2/2) and this is my first HD device, even 1 HD channel is more than I had before. What I would like to see is at least an official list of what channels and services you can receive with a Cable Card. Some of the channels I thought I should be getting even with the SDV channels are Not showing up.

Anyone else getting "ShopNBC" instead of CSPAN on both channels 97 AND 195?
Old 02-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #62
HiDefGator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave2004 View Post
She said she hopes to have a resolution soon, whatever that may be I don't know. There is HOPE!
Be for real. There is no hope. Other cities have had this problem for months (year?) and they have no resolution for it yet. There is no way they will turn off SDV and stop using it because cable card users can't see the HD channels on third party DVR's. There simply is no known resolution they can offer you.
HiDefGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:18 PM   #63
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefGator View Post
Be for real. There is no hope. Other cities have had this problem for months (year?) and they have no resolution for it yet. There is no way they will turn off SDV and stop using it because cable card users can't see the HD channels on third party DVR's. There simply is no known resolution they can offer you.
Austin launced SDV in 2005. Still using it.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:18 PM   #64
therlin

It sounds like so far the Cable Franchising Office and the Orlando Sentinel are looking into the story and talking to BHN.
therlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:23 PM   #65
HiDefGator

Perhaps we should place bets on what city this comes up in next. Which major city doesn't have SDV yet? Then maybe people living there can complain before it happens.
HiDefGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:26 PM   #66
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefGator View Post
Perhaps we should place bets on what city this comes up in next. Which major city doesn't have SDV yet? Then maybe people living there can complain before it happens.
Dallas, but I bet it will be using sdv real soon.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #67
therlin

I just got off the phone with the Senior Director of - I think he said Technology but it could have been Customer Support.

According to him BHN has *NOT* switched to SDV. They said that they will implement SDV in Q3 of 2008 *AFTER* the fix for SDV and TiVos (etc) will be out (he mentioned the USB dongle that fixes the SDV issue.)

He blamed the problem on the old style of CableCARDs and said that if they had M Cards, the channels would work. But he added that they don't have them (I thought they did have them based on other posts I read.)

So his explanation didn't sound very legit to me but I figured it was not my place to argue technology with him since I'm just a TiVo user and don't really care to know what happens behind the scenes.

Anyway, he said that they were offering TiVo users a free HD DVR until the USB dongle that fixes the issue is released.

I am personally willing to live with this resolution for now while I wait for this magical USB device. I will miss TiVo dearly but what else can I do.

The sad thing is that I doubt I would had gotten anywhere with BHN had I not contacted the Orange County Cable Franchising Office.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:46 PM   #68
eabu

This guy you talked to doesn't know about M-cards or he is lying. On January 31, 2008 a BHN cable technician came to my home to pair my cablecards to my TiVo, he didnt know what he was doing and put an M-card into my TiVo. He was unable to pair the M-card to my TiVo. He called a more experienced technician who came to my home, agreed with me M-cards don't work with Series3 TiVo's and switched my cablecards to S-Cards and was able to pair the cards to my TiVo. Both of them had stacks of cards, both S-cards and M-cards.
eabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:49 PM   #69
therlin

Yeah, I thought his story was not quite there. Maybe he meant that M-Cards didn't work with TiVo. And I don't even know if that is true.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:10 PM   #70
eabu

From what I've read, M-cards work with TiVo HD, but not Series3 TiVo's.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:12 PM   #71
megachirops

Quote:
Originally Posted by therlin View Post
Yeah, I thought his story was not quite there. Maybe he meant that M-Cards didn't work with TiVo. And I don't even know if that is true.
It's not. My S3 TiVo, hooked up back in November, has 1 S-Card and 1 M-Card (that was the only 2 cards the local office had at the time) and works fine. M-Cards function the same as an S-Card in an S3. (And neither tuner can pick up the new stations so I don't think the "M-Cards work" line is true either.)

Also, on a side note for those talking about losing TBS... TBS does appear to be gone, but A&E is back (at least for me). It looks like maybe they switched them?
megachirops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:21 PM   #72
bizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eabu View Post
Wherever you read that, it was wrong. Maybe it was someone else who like you decided to post incorrect information?
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:36 PM   #73
moyekj

Quote:
They DO work in Tivo S3's but you need 2 of them (1 per tuner) unlike the THD units where only 1 is required.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:16 PM   #74
eabu

If you are good with tech, TiVo, CableCards, and have BHN and would like to contribute to a story with the Orlando Sentinal, please PM me.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #75
TiVoToo

SDV Not Deployed, Yet

Over on the BHN forum at AVSForum.com, Barry928 who is knowledgeable about all things BHN, has stated that BHN has not yet deployed SDV, but it planning to do so later this year. In preparation, BHN has told the computer to limit channels to everyone with CableCard service. Doesn't that make you feel better?
TiVoToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:42 PM   #76
bizzy

Quote:
M-cards cannot multistream in S3 TiVo's, they become S-cards in S3 TiVo's. Tivo HD supports M-cards and multistreaming. M-cards do not pair with S3's but S-cards DO pair with S3's on Bright House Network in Central Florida.
right. You said m-cards didn't work in S3's. That's wrong.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #77
eabu

The cable guy spent an hour trying to pair an M-card to my S3, couldnt pair it with multiple tries to the BHN operator, until another tech came to help and switched it to S-cards.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:49 PM   #78
bizzy

I had a Comcast installer fail over and over to pair s-cards in my S3. It turned out to mean nothing but that the installer was incompetent.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #79
acvthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoToo View Post
Over on the BHN forum at AVSForum.com, Barry928 who is knowledgeable about all things BHN, has stated that BHN has not yet deployed SDV, but it planning to do so later this year. In preparation, BHN has told the computer to limit channels to everyone with CableCard service. Doesn't that make you feel better?
I can understand why the FCC would not require the providers to not deploy SDV because it breaks cable card, but I can't understand why the FCC would not have a problem with providers cutting off channels to cablecard just because they feel like it.

Al
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #80
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by acvthree View Post
I can understand why the FCC would not require the providers to not deploy SDV because it breaks cable card, but I can't understand why the FCC would not have a problem with providers cutting off channels to cablecard just because they feel like it.

Al
For my local headend (Cox Orange County, CA) Cable Card customers can't tune several new HD channels added in the last few months even though SDV has not yet been deployed. The reasoning given by Cox was that SDV rollout will happen some time this year and they don't want to give Cable Card customers new channels now only to yank them away later - that would make customers madder then not giving it to them in the 1st place. At least for now they haven't removed access to older channels so they have been sticking to the spirit of this reasoning. However when SDV is deployed I wouldn't be surprised to find that some channels I can currently tune will also be taken away...

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:40 PM   #81
charlesc

BHN DVR bites! It's the worst device I've ever used. I'm not not kidding.
charlesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:43 PM   #82
charlesc

Quote:
Originally Posted by megachirops View Post
It's not. My S3 TiVo, hooked up back in November, has 1 S-Card and 1 M-Card (that was the only 2 cards the local office had at the time) and works fine. M-Cards function the same as an S-Card in an S3. (And neither tuner can pick up the new stations so I don't think the "M-Cards work" line is true either.)

Also, on a side note for those talking about losing TBS... TBS does appear to be gone, but A&E is back (at least for me). It looks like maybe they switched them?
Yes, me too. It's silly, everyday I check and see if any of the HD channels have return, but in this case, AEHD is back.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:51 PM   #83
charlesc

Quote:
I just got off the phone with the Senior Director of - I think he said Technology but it could have been Customer Support.

According to him BHN has *NOT* switched to SDV. They said that they will implement SDV in Q3 of 2008 *AFTER* the fix for SDV and TiVos (etc) will be out (he mentioned the USB dongle that fixes the SDV issue.)

He blamed the problem on the old style of CableCARDs and said that if they had M Cards, the channels would work. But he added that they don't have them (I thought they did have them based on other posts I read.)

So his explanation didn't sound very legit to me but I figured it was not my place to argue technology with him since I'm just a TiVo user and don't really care to know what happens behind the scenes.

Anyway, he said that they were offering TiVo users a free HD DVR until the USB dongle that fixes the issue is released.

I am personally willing to live with this resolution for now while I wait for this magical USB device. I will miss TiVo dearly but what else can I do.

The sad thing is that I doubt I would had gotten anywhere with BHN had I not contacted the Orange County Cable Franchising Office.
Does the free BHN DVR Box also include the 9.95 monthly service fee? Prior to Tivo, I was paying $9.95 for the BHN device plus an additional $9.95 for the BHN DVR service.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:56 PM   #84
bigdave2004

So they didn't switch to SDV, they are planning on it? And this is a computer function, according to Barry on the AVSforums? And how come AETVHD works again? This is all so confusing. Has anyone successfully gotten brighthouse to remove the "block" for them yet?

-Dave
bigdave2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #85
therlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesc View Post
Does the free BHN DVR Box also include the 9.95 monthly service fee? Prior to Tivo, I was paying $9.95 for the BHN device plus an additional $9.95 for the BHN DVR service.
He didn't say and I didn't ask. I'm fine paying the DVR fee as long as the box fee is waived until the USB dongle is out.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:50 PM   #86
bigdave2004

Quote:
He didn't say and I didn't ask. I'm fine paying the DVR fee as long as the box fee is waived until the USB dongle is out.
Isn't this just giving into BHN? They obviously did this to make some extra money off cable card users until the dongle is available, should we push harder to get them to allow us to have this channels since we know they are available since they aren't using SDV yet.
bigdave2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:05 PM   #87
therlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave2004 View Post
Isn't this just giving into BHN? They obviously did this to make some extra money off cable card users until the dongle is available, should we push harder to get them to allow us to have this channels since we know they are available since they aren't using SDV yet.
TiVo's monthly fee is higher than BHN's $10 fee. And for all that I know, they won't even charge us that. I'm just happy that at least I have a way to view all the channels for now.

Just yesterday they were refusing to even waive the fee on a DVR and just offered a free HD receiver. I didn't push the issue.

Last edited by therlin : 02-07-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:22 AM   #88
Randman

Count me in as one of the very unhappy people. The person I talked to at BHN was rude, and would not even let me talk to anyone else. I asked her to file a complaint on my behalf, and she said, "what good will that do?".

You know, I'm ok not getting the channels. Just don't charge me for them. Don't raise my rates.

Also, before I got my Tivo, I had cable boxes, and was getting a good rate from BHN. When I switched to cablecards, I lost the good rate, because cablecards were not included in the structure. So, I started with basic, standard and digital. I ended up with basic and standard, and am paying more money for it. Now, I'll be paying more for even less channels.

I can understand new technology. Great. I hope it works. I don't expect them to not upgrade. Just don't screw me over doing it.
Randman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:48 AM   #89
celly

Tivo S3 Do Support M-Cards. : " The DVR must also be running software version 8.0.1c or later. " http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/Lau...5-4bfde6a851e4

Can anyone Verify that BHN _DID NOT_ switch to SDV? I find this switch odd since BHN has a decent amount of equipment in the field that doesn't support SDV -- So TiVo users wouldn't be the only ones screwed... And none of the literature about the upgrade stated that users will need to upgrade their boxes.
celly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:39 AM   #90
cableguy763

All legacy digital boxes in the field will work with SDV. They would not have to swap all of their boxes.