TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #31
acvthree

I've seen it done both ways. I've also seen a specification change quite a lot, or enough, with the release that previous work is not compliant.

Al
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:10 PM   #32
HiDefGator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
The spec was just now officially released to the public, but don't you suspect that there have been lots of preliminary specs along the way that TiVo development and resolver vendors have been working with for a while now?
Yes but I still think it will be the Fall before my local cable company offers to lease me one.
HiDefGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #33
tivoknucklehead

what a joke, to lose HD channels we already had. Fortunately I also have a directv receiver and will add my History HD season passes to that until the dongle ships
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #34
dkahs23

This really Suxs......
dkahs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:14 PM   #35
charlesc

Angry BHN HD Channels not appearing on TiVo HD DVR

Jan. 31st - My Tivo had a new messgage advising of BHN new HD channel line-up: Animal Planet HD, TLC HD, Discover Channel HD, Sci HD, National Geographic HD. I even received a news letter in the mail about the FREE HD channels being added. However, none of the new HD channels are viewable. They do appear on the guide. Also, the very next day, I lost the HD channels originally added back in late 2007, Food Network HD, AETV HD, History HD, HGTV HD. The only FREE HD channels I continue to receive are the local HD channels, TNT HD (just over the weekend I did receive TBS HD, as of today it's now gone). The others such as HD NET, HD Movies, MOJO, ESPN1, ESPN2 & UHD I continue to receive only because they are considered Prem HD channels $6.00 monthly. SO I called BHN several times, had the cards zapped, removed and TIVO reset 3 times. Finally a tech arrives on Sunday and is told by a BHN rep cablecards will not have the new channel line-up. The tech had made several calls to other techs in the area before speaking with his supervisor to confirm what the rep had told him. I think it's crap, seeing I had the previous HD channels and now no more? AND TBS HD is gone today as well? Oh, the tech was here 2 hours.
charlesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:20 PM   #36
charlesc

Quote:
Originally Posted by eabu View Post
Yes, the channel lineup changes went into effect Feb 1, 2008 for Bright House, Central Florida. As for the speculation its about SDV, why is Tampa getting a change in channel lineup but retaining compatibility with cablecards??

Bright House Central Florida
Added HD Channels: Animal Planet HD, TLC HD, Discover Channel HD, Sci HD, National Geographic HD
Bad News: None of the new HD channels work on cablecards
Even Worse News: Food Network HD, AETV HD, History HD, HGTV HD have been removed from the cablecard lineup

Now only TNT HD, TBS HD, ESPN1 HD, ESPN2 HD, and Discovery HDT can be viewed on cablecards.

Can't do much with HD TiVo's any more, and we just bought a Series 3 for Christmas. This is looking like a bad investment.
Well, today TBS HD is no longer showing up! It was just there over the weekend and last night. Now, it's gone. I'm getting the same grey screen as it the others.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:51 PM   #37
net114
Tivolitic Guru

Well I have to join the band wagon. NO notice from BHN here in Central Florida. Something is causing quite a stir over there because I can't even get to a customer service rep...a message says to call back later. Yesterday I was on hold for 45 minutes before I finally gave up. The day before, the same thing.
net114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #38
eabu

A tech that came by to check my cablecards, let me see his email for the cablecard lineup changes, and that included the subtraction of TBS HD from the cablecard lineup.
eabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #39
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Not just HD

These are also missing for me:
Channel 146 - History International
Channel 147 - Biography

I don't see the Digital Sports Pack pay channels (I don't pay for them, but I do get a 'call to order' splash screen from my SA3250 when I tune to them)

I didn't test all of the Music Channels, or obviously any of the InDemand channels.

Because I mis-read the 'M' card 'S' card post from 1/2/08, I had a tech come out to replace my cards. He arrived without any cards, and indicated that they were 'no good', and BHN were trying to get rid of them. I said that would be illegal. He hadn't worked on a device with cable cards, and wasn't aware of the issues with them since 2/1/08. He called his supervisor, and found they had 1 card in inventory.

Hmm... What if the tables were turned? I come down to pay for my $150 cable bill, give them nothing, but tell them I have $75 in the bank. Think that would be acceptable?

Last edited by orangeboy : 02-04-2008 at 06:51 PM.
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #40
charlesc

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
These are also missing for me:
Channel 146 - History International
Channel 147 - Biography

I don't see the Digital Sports Pack pay channels (I don't pay for them, but I do get a 'call to order' splash screen from my SA3250 when I tune to them)

I didn't test all of the Music Channels, or obviously any of the InDemand channels.

Because I mis-read the 'M' card 'S' card post from 1/2/08, I had a tech come out to replace my cards. He arrived without any cards, and indicated that they were 'no good', and BHN were trying to get rid of them. I said that would be illegal. He hadn't worked on a device with cable cards, and wasn't aware of the issues with them since 2/1/08. He called his supervisor, and found they had 1 card in inventory.

Hmm... What if the tables were turned? I come down to pay for my $150 cable bill, give them nothing, but tell them I have $75 in the bank. Think that would be acceptable?
I just checked and U R correct. These are gone as well. You must be freakn kidding! OK, I just spent 25 min with a TIVO tech and he documented by complaint and ask if I would send a fax basically explaining (again) what has happened. Be sure to write in the fax header, "ATTN: TIVO Customer Support" and fax it .....408.934.9806. It's something, right?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #41
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave2004 View Post
Do you think this will let you see the new HD chanels or is this for another reason?
Actually, I was only part of the problems I am having is not getting the NEW HD channels. I did got my service connected with CC's the day after the channels were added. When the install was "complete" I checked a few few random channels plus my premiums (HBO/Max) and a few of the HD channels. I got lucky (?) and didn't check one of the missing/newly added channels. After running the guided setup I started to customize the channels I receive, Favorite Channels etc, I noticed that I was missing some HD channels (The newly added ones specifically and the ones that turned SDV) but also noticed accidentally while deleting ShopNBC (Channel 99) that CSPAN (channel 97) shows up in the guide as CSPAN, but the program that is shown is ShopNBC. I found out after the fact (From this thread) that the HD Channels are SDV channels. CSPAN on digital channel 195 also comes up with ShopNBC and CSPAN3 on 197 comes up as not available.

So only part of my problem is SDV. It turns out that the guide data has some problems with the new channel mapping going on. TiVo Tech support said that the problem had already been reported and a fix should be coming "soon".

The New HD's would be nice but I guess I'll have to wait for the "Dongle".
Old 02-05-2008, 08:34 AM   #42
jsnow789

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelkfla View Post
The PSC site says they do not regulate cable TV, and refers complainants to the FCC.
Sorry about that...

Here is where you can complain in Florida:

You may also wish to contact the Florida Department of Agriculture, Division of Consumer Services to file a complaint regarding cable service at:

Florida Department of Agriculture
Division of Consumer Services
2005 Apalachee Parkway
Tallahassee, FL 32399-6500
Toll-free Consumer Hotline (within Florida): 1-800-435-7352
Toll-free Spanish Hotline: 1-800-352-9832
General telephone number: 1-850-488-2221
www.800helpfla.com
jsnow789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:00 AM   #43
therlin

Is there a reason why they had to go to SDV now instead of waiting until the issue with the cablecards is resolved in a few months?
therlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:07 AM   #44
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by therlin View Post
Is there a reason why they had to go to SDV now instead of waiting until the issue with the cablecards is resolved in a few months?
Maybe because DirectTV has lots more HD channels NOW...
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:39 AM   #45
therlin

I understand that, however, was SDV truly necesary at this point to add 5 more channels?

I'm not sure how all that works, all I know is how it's affecting me and my innability to get the content that I am paying for.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:05 AM   #46
cableguy763

Quote:
I understand that, however, was SDV truly necesary at this point to add 5 more channels?

I'm not sure how all that works, all I know is how it's affecting me and my innability to get the content that I am paying for.
If a cable system is out of bandwidth, and most are, sdv is the cheapest and quickest way to reclaim some it.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:27 AM   #47
RachelF

Quote:
My vote is that BHN just has the poorest customer service ever. They don't care about its customers because they didn't even have the common courtesy to let us know this was even coming down the pike. I was 6 days shy of my 30 day refund with the TiVo box and am now stuck until someone makes an adapter. As someone else said, I am not sure who to be more angry with, TiVo or BHN.

I sure do appreciate all of the information that everyone has provided, though.
RachelF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #48
eabu

There just has to be a solution with the USB dongle soon, because without it, the conversion to SDV will kill TiVo.

Its kinda getting ridiculous, paying for a $500 TiVo Series 3, $14/month subscription, cablecards monthly charge, and now a USB dongle?

Anyone have the BHN DVR for $6.95/month, is it any good?
Old 02-05-2008, 05:02 PM   #49
net114
Tivolitic Guru

Quote:
There just has to be a solution with the USB dongle soon, because without it, the conversion to SDV will kill TiVo.

Its kinda getting ridiculous, paying for a $500 TiVo Series 3, $14/month subscription, cablecards monthly charge, and now a USB dongle?

The BHN DVR BLOWS. It is really, really bad. (At least the newer ones with the newer software). Somewhere I have it posted about how bad they are....but when I tried one the tech told me he felt bad he had to install it because he knew I was going to complain. (Its gone now)
Old 02-05-2008, 06:29 PM   #50
dkahs23

Not to mention that "Brighthouse" has went up on there prices again.
dkahs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:58 PM   #51
bigdave2004

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelF View Post
My vote is that BHN just has the poorest customer service ever.
Yeah they do, they won't even troubleshoot over the phone for a basic issue, they'll schedule a service call for which you have 1) be home 2) let some stranger in your house. They suck but we really have no other choice and that sucks even more.

Quote:
I had the 8300HD (The newest one with the cable card in it) and it didn't even buffer on the channel it was on unless I paused it first. I also miss the tivo noises when ff or rewind, its amazing how accustom to those I've become. I love my TivoHD I just wish I could use it for what I got it for, to watch HD programming. I am really surprised we haven't heard anything from a Tivo employee in this thread. Tivo do you care? A timeline or anything to keep our hopes up, seems like you got a whole thread of beta testers. I know I'm willing ...
bigdave2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:59 PM   #52
cableguy763

It is not Tivo coming out with the "dongle". SA and Motorola, the two manufacturers of cable headend equipment, are the ones coming out with it. These, of course, will be something you will either get with a cablecard or rented from your cable co. Tivo doesn't have much to do with it.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:42 PM   #53
eabu

Can someone with good grammer (lol) email the consumerist.com and cnet.com about this situation in detail. Explain BHN's lack of consumer notification, explain the FCC mandate, the switch over to SDV, the USB dongle, etc? If u can get on consumerist.com it would seriously get BHN's attention. I really doubt the few new HD channels really need to be SDV right now, particularly if BHN in Tampa, which also got the new HD channels, still has it working on their cablecards.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:43 PM   #54
net114
Tivolitic Guru

Does anyone else note the very real irony in BHN's current "no asterisks" commercial??????

I think their current claims of "adding HD channels to your lineup" needs a huge, big, fat...asterisk.

"...new HD channels!*"

*Note: our customer service representatives will have no idea what you are talking about if you are using cable cards and some channels have mysteriously disappeared, in addition to some current channels being temporarily unavailable. We recommend renting one of our terrificly terrific fantastic DVR's to solve your problem.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:55 PM   #55
eabu

Yeah, on their website, in the digital cable section, they talk about "Watch TV on your terms." Yeah, sure.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:06 AM   #56
therlin

We are obviously not getting any assistance from Bright House. They are apparently enjoying the fact that we'll now need to rent their DVRs.

I suggest we take this to the next level, to a place where it can hurt them.

If you live in incorporated Orlando, please file a complaint here http://www.cityoforlando.net/cable/brighthouse.htm

If you live in unincorporated Orlando, please file a complaint here http://www.orangecountyfl.net/cms/DE...ions/cable.htm

I needed their assistance once when I was being stone-walled by BH regarding a CableCARD issue. A few days later I got a call from BH and they bent over backwards to fix my issue AND saved me money.

These are the folks who can threaten BH with not renewing their monopoly (and I doubt they get that many consumer complaints.)

Last edited by therlin : 02-06-2008 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #57
HiDefGator

You guys can file all the complaints that you want to file. It isn't going to make BHN stop deploying SDV just like every other cable company in America. It also isn't going to make them wait to deploy SDV because it breaks about 600 Tivo's in their service area. Have you not been following this process for the last year? Every month there is a new thread just like this one form a new city that has rolle dout SDV. None of the previous protests have had any affect at all.
HiDefGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:52 AM   #58
therlin

My beef with them is that they are willing to give us a free HD receiver ($6.95/month value) but they will not give us the same credit for a HD DVR instead ($6.95/month) even when I say that I will pay for the additional $9.95/month DVR fee.

I'd be happy to pay the DVR fee until the dongle is out and I can return to Tivo.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:14 AM   #59
RachelF

Quote:
Originally Posted by net114 View Post
Does anyone else note the very real irony in BHN's current "no asterisks" commercial??????

I think their current claims of "adding HD channels to your lineup" needs a huge, big, fat...asterisk.

"...new HD channels!*"

*Note: our customer service representatives will have no idea what you are talking about if you are using cable cards and some channels have mysteriously disappeared, in addition to some current channels being temporarily unavailable. We recommend renting one of our terrificly terrific fantastic DVR's to solve your problem.
This is CLASSIC!
RachelF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:51 AM   #60
bigdave2004

Quote:
If you live in unincorporated Orlando, please file a complaint here http://www.orangecountyfl.net/cms/DE...ions/cable.htm
So I e-mailed Jae Nale and within minutes I got a phone call from her. She says she's gotten TONS of e-mail from Feb 1 on this issue and she is "actively" working with Brighthouse for a solution. She said this exactly "They told me they didn't think it would affect so many people, and I don't buy that." Is it so hard to see how many customers have cable cards on their account? Anyway what prompted her call was the fact that I said Brighthouse has a monopoly in Central Florida, she wanted to make it very clear that she grants franchises to any company that wants one and that if they don't overlap then its not financially viable for them to do business in my area. She also told me to get satellite to teach Brighthouse a lesson which I also laughed at. She is a Brighthouse customer so she knows our pain first hand. She said she hopes to have a resolution soon, whatever that may be I don't know. There is HOPE!
bigdave2004 is offline   Reply With Quote