TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #301
notnow117

Angry bastards!!!

I was explicitly told when I scheduled the installation for the HD DVR that would not affect my billing at all. After reading the latest posts, I checked and sure enough, my bill went up $20. I assume it's due to the whole fiasco that occurred when the tech was out installing it. He had to spend an hour on the phone with BH while they figured out how to add it to my account. They obviously had no clue what they were doing, because my account showed the following credits and charges on the day I had it installed...

Feb 11, 2008 $13.60 HD DIGITAL VIDEO RECORDER Charge
Feb 11, 2008 ($11.19) NAVIGATOR Credit
Feb 11, 2008 $9.50 DIGITAL BOX Charge
Feb 11, 2008 ($4.03) CABLE CARD Credit
Feb 11, 2008 $11.19 NAVIGATOR Charge
Feb 11, 2008 ($9.50) DIGITAL BOX Credit
Feb 11, 2008 $4.03 CABLE CARD Charge
Feb 11, 2008 $1.44 NAVIGATOR Charge

That's 6 charges and 3 credits, for a net result of $20 in new charges. Complete incompetence as far as I'm concerned. I'll be calling them later to straighten this out, and I'll be demanding the charge be removed. Either I'm getting this HD DVR for free or they can take it back. It's not like I asked for it.

<rant>
Also, if somebody from BH is reading this thread, I'd just like to point out how completely ridiculous this is. At least in my case, this has wasted several hours of my time, several hours of BH's time, and at least an hour of a tech's time, plus giving out an HD DVR which is supposed to be at no charge. In addition, I had to get an HD switchbox because I had no more inputs on my tv, and had to squeeze the DVR onto a rack with very little free space. It's been crappy all around. All because somebody refuses to change a couple of bits on a server somewhere. How this is a good business model, I don't know. Well done BH. If I could use my S3 with DirecTV, I would switch today, because that's all that's keeping me on cable.
</rant>

Last edited by notnow117 : 02-26-2008 at 03:12 PM.
notnow117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:13 PM   #302
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnow117 View Post
I was explicitly told when I scheduled the installation for the HD DVR that would not affect my billing at all. After reading the latest posts, I checked and sure enough, my bill went up $20. I assume it's due to the whole fiasco that occurred when the tech was out installing it. He had to spend an hour on the phone with BH while they figured out how to add it to my account. They obviously had no clue what they were doing, because the my account showed the following credits and charges on the day I had it installed...

Feb 11, 2008 $13.60 HD DIGITAL VIDEO RECORDER Charge
Feb 11, 2008 ($11.19) NAVIGATOR Credit
Feb 11, 2008 ($4.03) CABLE CARD Credit
Feb 11, 2008 $11.19 NAVIGATOR Charge
Feb 11, 2008 ($9.50) DIGITAL BOX Credit
Feb 11, 2008 $4.03 CABLE CARD Charge
Feb 11, 2008 $1.44 NAVIGATOR Charge

That's 6 charges and 3 credits, for a net result of $20 in new charges. Complete incompetence as far as I'm concerned. I'll be calling them later to straighten this out, and I'll be demanding the charge be removed. Either I'm getting this HD DVR for free or they can take it back. It's not like I asked for it.

<rant>
Also, if somebody from BH is reading this thread, I'd just like to point out how completely ridiculous this is. At least in my case, this has wasted several hours of my time, several hours of BH's time, and at least an hour of a tech's time, plus giving out an HD DVR which is supposed to be at no charge. In addition, I had to get an HD switchbox because I had no more inputs on my tv, and had to squeeze the DVR onto a rack with very little free space. It's been crappy all around. All because somebody refuses to change a couple of bits on a server somewhere. How this is a good business model, I don't know. Well done BH. If I could use my S3 with DirecTV, I would switch today, because that's all that's keeping me on cable.
</rant>
This would be funny if it weren't so frustrating. I mean, in the end, it's just television, and is it really worth working this hard?

I'm considering swapping to an antenna in the attic, and getting my remaining content via either AppleTV or through Unbox. (are the both HD?).

Considering that a more than capable antenna is $100 or less, and can be tapped directly into the distribution for the house ,and that $60 / month will buy an awful lot of content, dropping cable seems like a real option.

The only concern is explaining all of this to my wife.
Series 2 DT
Assorted other humans and animals
Okeemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:42 PM   #303
eitingon

unbox is very much low-D (not HD). Antenna in the attic will get you the networks in HD. I suggested dropping cable to the wife and was shot down pretty quickly
eitingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:08 PM   #304
eabu

Just continue to notify the FCC, there is not reason to continue talking with Bright House.
eabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #305
notnow117

Quote:
Originally Posted by eabu View Post
Just continue to notify the FCC, there is not reason to continue talking with Bright House.
I still need to clear up the charges, but yes, you're right otherwise. I already filed a complaint with the FCC.
notnow117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:00 PM   #306
dkahs23

Is there any other way to Record HD programming on Tivo besides cable cards and Sat/ATN? Can you record HD programming with the DT Tivo?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:01 PM   #307
dkahs23

There's got to be another way around all of this madness.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:22 PM   #308
therlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkahs23 View Post
There's got to be another way around all of this madness.
Yes, turning the channels back on until they actually implement SDV. Hopefully we'll hear some good news tomorrow (it sounds like they hope to have some sort of decision made by then.)
therlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:02 AM   #309
dkahs23

But you know? This is happening all over the country, with other cable subscribers. Why are all of them doing this at the same time? It doesn't make sense. The world is going mad!!!
Old 02-27-2008, 08:08 AM   #310
bigdave2004

Quote:
But you know? This is happening all over the country, with other cable subscribers. Why are all of them doing this at the same time? It doesn't make sense. The world is going mad!!!
Cable providers are playing catch up with Sat providers to provide a considerable amount of HD channels. The only way to do that is to switch to SDV since the pipes (tubes? ) are getting over saturated as it is. In the end SDV is what we all want but we want it with a proper resolver (dongle) and with at least some notice so we are aware of the change. We are aware brighthouse was going to switch and we were fine with that in the beginning of the thread besides the zero notice we knew in the end this is a positive thing. When we found out that they HAD NOT implemented and were only limiting cable card users that's where our frustration comes from.
bigdave2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:42 AM   #311
dkahs23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave2004 View Post
Cable providers are playing catch up with Sat providers to provide a considerable amount of HD channels. The only way to do that is to switch to SDV since the pipes (tubes? ) are getting over saturated as it is. In the end SDV is what we all want but we want it with a proper resolver (dongle) and with at least some notice so we are aware of the change. We are aware brighthouse was going to switch and we were fine with that in the beginning of the thread besides the zero notice we knew in the end this is a positive thing. When we found out that they HAD NOT implemented and were only limiting cable card users that's where our frustration comes from.
Other cable subscribers are complaining of the same thing we are. Losing channels that we already had. And the word is around the net, that we would be lucky to even see the dongle this year.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:12 AM   #312
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Quote:
Other cable subscribers are complaining of the same thing we are. Losing channels that we already had. And the word is around the net, that we would be lucky to even see the dongle this year.
I'm not trying to be smarmy, I ask b/c I do not know. Which markets are losing channels (not to SDV but to cable co's aggressiveness) and where is this 'word' coming from? links por favor.
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:22 AM   #313
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig_duggler View Post
I'm not trying to be smarmy, I ask b/c I do not know. Which markets are losing channels (not to SDV but to cable co's aggressiveness) and where is this 'word' coming from? links por favor.
NYC Metro
http://www.tvtechnology.com/pages/s.0082/t.2799.html

Virginia
http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/08/24...nd-hd-offerin/

Denver and NJ
http://www.lightreading.com/document...25584&site=cdn

Austin and Columbia, SC
http://www.cable360.net/ct/news/ctreports/18481.html

Dover, NJ and Richardson, TX
http://telephonyonline.com/mag/telec..._debate_nynex/

EDIT : Whoops...I don't think I read the response correctly. This is a listing of locations that are trying out, or have implemented SDV, thus showing that the technological change is on the horizon.
Series 2 DT
Old 02-27-2008, 09:25 AM   #314
dkahs23

Comcast, Cox and Time Warner Cable. Just look at this thread.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...357703&page=36
Old 02-27-2008, 10:07 AM   #315
PopcornGuy

An Open Letter To Brighthouse*:

I know Brighthouse* is monitoring this specific thread. I was personally contacted through this forum.

A lot of us are multi-year or lifetime Tivo subscribers meaning we are very likely to stay with Brighthouse*. There are alternatives as suggested on this thread. None of these are as ideal. If you think I'm giving up Tivo for your DVR, think again. Brighthouse* will go first, including phone and Internet service.

It's time for Brighthouse* to step up now and give us the answers we demand. Identify yourselves and answer your most loyal customers!

PopcornGuy (no "*" needed here-I mean what I say)
PopcornGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:15 AM   #316
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopcornGuy View Post
I know Brighthouse* is monitoring this specific thread. I was personally contacted through this forum.
BHN contacted you? What's the story there?
Series 2 DT
Old 02-27-2008, 10:41 AM   #317
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Quote:
Comcast, Cox and Time Warner Cable. Just look at this thread.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...357703&page=36
Hmm, I see OK city but I only read the last 5 or so pages. What other markets have rolled out pre-SDV channels in this regard (silently regretting getting my dad a Tivo HD)?

The tuner issue, I see lots of back and forth speculation. But nothing that would indicate that the '"word is around the net, that we would be lucky to even see the dongle this year." However, Tivo (although not developing this) is always overly optimistic with their target dates.

I was once was contacted by a manager at Brighthouse (different market though) when I was having major problems over a two month period. He did indicate they had people who looked at various tech sites and reported back. I don't know if this is a company wide policy or a market policy, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was company wide.

In my paranoid news, I now have TntHD and HistoryHD in my lineup but they haven't added them to my channel map. I've called CS several times and all signs indicate this is incompetence rather than biased deployment but who knows.
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:10 AM   #318
PopcornGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okeemike View Post
BHN contacted you? What's the story there?
Mr. Berry from Brighthouse* (with a Brighthouse* email address) contacted me through this forum. I will give Brighthouse* the opportunity to post before giving out an email address. He wanted to be able to identify me in order to fix my billing error only (see post #299). I linked again to this thread in my reply. The larger issue was being forwarded to higher ups at Brighthouse*.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #319
Randman

I think one of the big things that we are missing is this: Without a BHN box, we can't order Pay Per View / On Demand movies and other content. Thus, we will never offer BHN any additional revenue.

And let me tell you, folks, Pay Per View / On Demand is a tremendous profit center for the cable companies. Why do you think they are pushing it so hard? Offering you a free movie, to try the service. Inserts in their mailers.

So, maybe there is a reason they want us out of cablecards?!?!?! Maybe there is a motive to their madness?!?!?!?!?

I'll give you a clue.

$$$
Randman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #320
dkahs23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randman View Post
I think one of the big things that we are missing is this: Without a BHN box, we can't order Pay Per View / On Demand movies and other content. Thus, we will never offer BHN any additional revenue.

And let me tell you, folks, Pay Per View / On Demand is a tremendous profit center for the cable companies. Why do you think they are pushing it so hard? Offering you a free movie, to try the service. Inserts in their mailers.

So, maybe there is a reason they want us out of cablecards?!?!?! Maybe there is a motive to their madness?!?!?!?!?

I'll give you a clue.

$$$
That's one thing I can care less about (Pay Per View / On Demand) I just want what I pay for, from month to month.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:11 PM   #321
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randman View Post

I'll give you a clue.

$$$
When the dongle/appliance becomes available to Tivo/CableCARD users, won't two-way communication be accomplished, and PPV/On Demand be available to these users? Granted, we're a minority, but incoming cash flow is still incoming cash flow. Why piss us off by depriving us of the service we pay for, when those same people in a short period of time (with a dongle) could be 'new' PPV/On Demand customers? There's more talk about leaving Bright House and going OTA then there is praise for the company of late! If there were competition in my area, I'd have dropped BHN when this all started!
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:23 PM   #322
ah30k

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
When the dongle/appliance becomes available to Tivo/CableCARD users, won't two-way communication be accomplished, and PPV/On Demand be available to these users?
NO.

SDV only, not VOD.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:39 PM   #323
therlin

So Wednesday has come and gone and no word from BHN as far as I know. This could be good news (easier to say "no") or they don't want to face our anger until before the weekend and give us a cooling period (little do they know.)
therlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:10 AM   #324
JimPa
S3 owner/user

I'm not sure if I should be mad with BHN or not.

My primary concern is picture and sound quality. With SDV, do these channels look as good as satellite? Might be a good time to drop cable and just use my S3 for my OTA channels and add satellite.
JimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:00 AM   #325
JWThiers
Smartypants

SDV shouldn't impact PQ/SQ at all. SDV lessens the number of channels that your headend is putting on the wires in your area freeing up bandwidth for other things (more Channels). If anything besides extra channels BHN could cut back on compression that they might be adding in. I doubt it, but they could.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:08 AM   #326
PopcornGuy

I'll post my Brighthouse* contact's email address here by the end of the day if we haven't seen a response by then. It's unbelievable that they are ignoring this issue. Maybe we need to organize a protest in front of the main Brighthouse* office. So we're not confused with any of the other controversies (Local 6, FSN, etc.) we can carry giant asterisks around.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:10 AM   #327
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah30k View Post
NO.

SDV only, not VOD.
Would that open the possibility? If you can communicate with the headend to resolve channels, how much more would it take to communicate to get VOD (or any other interactive feature for that matter)? Just curious.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:59 AM   #328
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWThiers View Post
Would that open the possibility? If you can communicate with the headend to resolve channels, how much more would it take to communicate to get VOD (or any other interactive feature for that matter)? Just curious.
Tivo would have to write a new software routine to manage the VOD/PPV GUI. Remember, you purchasing PPV, so Tivo needs to confirm the purchase with you. Also, I think trick-play works differently for PPV and VOD. And this software would be unique to each cable company and maybe even several areas within each cable company. So there could be 4 to 20 different branches of Tivo software version 9.4. And 9.5. And 9.6, etc. It would be a nightmare for a small company such as Tivo to keep track of that.

Also, you need to be able to download into the Tivo exactly what's available via PPV and VOD at any given time. I don't think this could be using Tribune or CableCards -- Tivo would have to download it directly from the cable company. More software that's tailor-made for several markets.

That's what's nice about OCAP. The Cable company writes the PPV/VOD GUI and communications software and uploads it to all the boxes. The GUI is the same for everyone, making tech. support easier, and the third-party boxes don't have to create and maintain a dozen different flavors of software.

It's a lot of effort, and Tivo just wants to take baby steps at this point.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #329
RachelF

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopcornGuy View Post
Mr. Berry from Brighthouse* (with a Brighthouse* email address) contacted me through this forum. I will give Brighthouse* the opportunity to post before giving out an email address. He wanted to be able to identify me in order to fix my billing error only (see post #299). I linked again to this thread in my reply. The larger issue was being forwarded to higher ups at Brighthouse*.
Oh good, if they are monitoring then let me say this. I have had issues with your company before and I have to say it is like the blind leading the blind over there. No one department knows what the other one is doing. And now, you have the gall to "pretend" to provide services to us and then take them away in a sneaky and deceitful way all the while continuing to charge us for things we can't even access. You have a lot of nerve continuing to air those ridiculous commercials that really only highlight your complete incompetence. I didn't appreciate the form letter of apology regarding this issue, either. I hope that after the 11 pages of complaints here, you will actually make this right by everyone but I have NO confidence in that what-so-ever.
RachelF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:28 AM   #330
Chris Berry

Tivo Community,

My name is Chris Berry and I do work for Bright House, I have visited the forum several times and have followed the issue for weeks now. In my capacity, I'm not able to offer any additional information that would contribute to the situation. Thus the reason I have not commented or posted on the issue. I contacted PopcornGuy to assist him with a possible billing issue which is in my capacity to do.

BHN Insider
Chris Berry is offline   Reply With Quote