TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
mokume

scrambled channels Comcast - Philadelphia

I've been using my Tivo (with no cable box) for about 4 months and all has been great. However, over the past week a large majority of my channels are now scrambled or unavailable. I have Basic Comcast cable and live in center city Philadelphia.

Would anyone happen to know if this is a temporary thing with Comcast?
Do I need to just hook up the cable box now? (I'd prefer not to as I have no room in my cabinet for it)

Thanks.

Last edited by mokume : 01-28-2008 at 03:42 PM.
mokume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:13 PM   #2
WhiskeyTango

I have Comcast in S. Jersey and I have a couple of channels that show up in the Tivo lineup that I only get a black screen on without a cable box, one being the Gameshow Network. It's possible that this and other channels are only being broadcast digitally now with no analog signal so the only way to pick up that channel is with a cable box. That's just my assumption though because I get all the channels on my set with the box, although the channel numbers are different than w/o the box.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:53 PM   #3
mokume

I just dug out my old cable box and also the Tivo cables/instructions required to setup my DT Tivo using a cable box.

I see after the RF splitter that one cable goes to the cable box and one goes to the Tivo. So, obviously the tuner getting the signal bypassing the cable box... will be useless. That doesn't make me happy as I record two channels at the same time fairly often.

Is there anyway around this?
Old 01-27-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokume View Post
I see after the RF splitter that one cable goes to the cable box and one goes to the Tivo. So, obviously the tuner getting the signal bypassing the cable box... will be useless. That doesn't make me happy as I record two channels at the same time fairly often.
Apparently this is starting to become common.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=382368
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
timstack8969

I live in NE/Philly and I have single tuner 240 TIVO but I do have cable hooked up to my Ant jack for anolog. I checked yesterday all of my channels were coming in good using comcast. I guess I'll check again today.
timstack8969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #6
timstack8969

I checked today and all my anolog channels are still working with comcast in NE/Philly. The one strange thing is that my anolog channels are completly numbered differently than using the cable box.
timstack8969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
mokume

Actually that is something I noticed when I first set up my Tivo several months ago... that the channels were different than when I used a cable box.

Which brings this question up. Now that I am finally about to give in and hook up my cable box... one tuner will get the feed via the cable box while the other tuner gets the feed from the cable line directly. Will Tivo be able to handle having two different sets of channel numbers?

If not, I'll just leave the one unconnected... all I will get is local channels and the few that haven't been scrambled anyway.

What a nightmare.