TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-12-2008, 08:00 AM   #1
oldradio99

DVD burner off of a HD Tivo

I had hoped to hang a DVD burner / player off of my Tivo HD but now I see it only has one HDMI.

How would you connect a DVD burner /player and a 46" Samsung to get the bext picture?

Tivo HDMI to the DVD and then DVD HDMI to the TV (assuming the DVD burner / player has 2 HMDI)?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a DVD Recorder that has two HDMI connectors?
oldradio99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:08 AM   #2
lqaddict

Do you have component output on your TV or component input on your DVD burner?
You can utilize component output on your Tivo. I see no difference running either HDMI output or component output to my Samsung LCD.
lqaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
oldradio99

I do not have either in my physical possession yet.

My Samsung 4665 gets delivered in 2 weeks and I am just deciding what to buy for a DVD burner

Most of the burners seem to have tuners which I will not need
oldradio99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
classicsat
Astute User

Any DVD recorder will do, as they will have SD input at most anyway. none will have HD input, let alone HDMI passthrough.

You would connect HDMI from the TiVo to the TV, and S-video/analog audio from the TiVo to the DVD recorder, and whatever DVD recorder output to your TVs input.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
rucka

Are there no hdmi two-fers or splitters?
rucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rucka View Post
Are there no hdmi two-fers or splitters?
There are but that's not the point here. The OP wants to connect the TiVo to a DVD recorder directly using HDMI, probably so he can transfer his recordings directly to disc without having to use analog-digital conversion.

I am not aware of any DVD recorder in the US that has HDMI-IN. HDMI-OUT yes, but not -IN. The best input one can hope for is Component-IN, but few DVD recorders were ever equipped with these. Most only have s-video as their "best" input, aside from FireWire.

If the OP wants to make a digital to digital transfer of TiVo recordings to disc, he will need to network his TiVo to a PC or Mac and use TTG to transfer the recordings to the computer, from which he can burn to disc using one of many programs.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldradio99 View Post
Most of the burners seem to have tuners which I will not need
Actually a lot of the newest models have NO tuner whatsoever, to circumvent FCC rules mandating ATSC capability.

It also makes sense in that so many people nowadays either have satellite, or digital cable with a box, or a DVR of some sort, and like yourself would have no need for a tuner.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:43 PM   #8
Dancar

I have a related question... Can you record HD TiVo recordings onto a non-HD DVD burner?

My DVD precorder is progressive (it can output 480p), but it has only composite and S-video inputs. If I connect the Tivo composite audio and S-Video to the DVD inputs, will Tivo downscale HD video to 480i that the non-HD DVD can process (my understanding is that composite and S-video won't pass 480p), or do you need to set the TiVo to 480i or 480i when outputting to a nonHD DVD recorder? Will a downscaled wide screen show record as wide screen, letterbox or worse, cropped?
Dancar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:53 PM   #9
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancar View Post
I have a related question... Can you record HD TiVo recordings onto a non-HD DVD burner?
Yes you can...check out this very helpful thread on making HiDef recordings on standard DVD's. I did it for the first time last night and the results are great, though time consuming.

Quote:
My DVD precorder is progressive (it can output 480p), but it has only composite and S-video inputs. If I connect the Tivo composite audio and S-Video to the DVD inputs, will Tivo downscale HD video to 480i that the non-HD DVD can process (my understanding is that composite and S-video won't pass 480p), or do you need to set the TiVo to 480i or 480i when outputting to a nonHD DVD recorder? Will a downscaled wide screen show record as wide screen, letterbox or worse, cropped?
The outputs on composite or s-video are already 480i. No need to change it using the "Format" button.

As far as aspect, that is the tricky part. If your TiVo is set up for a widescreen set, any HD programs are going to be output as anamorphic. If you have one of those few DVD recorders that allow you to set a widescreen flag, then this won't be a problem (actually it's ideal as it lets you view the disc on both types of TV's), but on most DVD recorders this will result in recordings that are "tall and skinny" on 4:3 TV's. You may need to temporarily set your TiVo up for a standard "4:3 Classic" TV in order to get the right aspect ratio for such TV's, or else limit the viewing of such discs to widescreen TV's only.

Last edited by RonDawg : 01-12-2008 at 02:58 PM.