TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-11-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
mohanman

Power Consumption?

Hey guys, how much power does a series 3 and tivo hD use? I have looked all over the internet but cannot find an answer.

Its gotta be much better than a HTPC? My mac mini is 25 watt idle and 110 watt full CPU though, i use that for movies/pictures/music

Thanks
Mo
mohanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:32 PM   #2
kdmorse

Another thread said 30 watts. I've been meaning to measure mine, but just haven't had the time, and opportunity to unplug it.

-Ken
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:00 AM   #3
btwyx
Substantive Member

I measured my series 3 at 37W. With the stock drive it may be slightly different.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:24 AM   #4
bkdtv

The TivoHD is a few watts less than the Series3, IIRC.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:56 AM   #5
vman41
Omega Consumer

I measured my S3 at 38 watts when I first got it. The series 2 it replaced was 28 watts.
vman41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:42 AM   #6
ewilts
Who, me?

At 38 watts, and using the calculators at http://www.energyguide.com, my S3 would cost 7.8 cents per day, or $28.47 per year.

.../Ed
ewilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
dsm42

I measured by S3 at 40W (39W in standby), and TIVO HD at 34W (32W in standby).

Would be nice if Tivo had a *real* standby mode (a sleep or hibernate mode that only consumed a fraction of a watt), which it could be woken from when it needed to record something...
dsm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:25 PM   #8
jjberger2134

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm42 View Post
Would be nice if Tivo had a *real* standby mode (a sleep or hibernate mode that only consumed a fraction of a watt), which it could be woken from when it needed to record something...
The idea of the TiVo is that it is always recording something - ie. the 30 minute live buffer. As designed, it cannot go into sleep/hibernate mode since it is recording something 24/7.
TiVoHD, lifetime (10/09)-1TB drive upgraded 5/10
jjberger2134 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:20 PM   #9
kdmorse

Due to a disagreement with pepco, I'm on a measure everything kick...

Stock Tivo HD
Reordering Season Passes: 38w
Normal usage: 36w
Tuned to two channels I don't receive: 34w
Standby: 33w
Avg over 24 hours, normal usage: 35.932w
Current Cost: $3.78/Month

Stock S3
Reordering Season Passes: 40w
Normal usage: 40w
Tuned to two channels I don't receive: 39w
Standby: 38w
Avg over 24 hours, normal usage: 40.358w
Current Cost: $4.41/Month

Except I haven't measured the external esata drive yet...

-Ken
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:11 AM   #10
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmorse View Post
Due to a disagreement with pepco, I'm on a measure everything kick...

Stock Tivo HD
Reordering Season Passes: 38w
Normal usage: 36w
Tuned to two channels I don't receive: 34w
Standby: 33w
Avg over 24 hours, normal usage: 35.932w
Current Cost: $3.78/Month

Stock S3
Reordering Season Passes: 40w
Normal usage: 40w
Tuned to two channels I don't receive: 39w
Standby: 38w
Avg over 24 hours, normal usage: 40.358w
Current Cost: $4.41/Month

Except I haven't measured the external esata drive yet...

-Ken
With a 1Tb WD drive my series 3 (648) measures 41 watts using "Kill A Watt". In Hartford i pay a total of $0.18/Kwh so my cost is about $64/year or $5.40/month for each Series 3.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:58 AM   #11
dalesd

Just FYI, I measured my DirecTiVo power consumption with a Kill-A-Watt and it was about 40 watts. So a THD uses about the same power as the old technology. Not bad, considering how much more capable it is.
dalesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #12
squint

I have my THD and TV on a UPS which indicates 32W of output when the THD is recording/playing back and the TV is off.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #13
acvthree

For an interesting comparison, my Verizon standard definition non-DVR set top box is 500 watts, pretty much confirmed via Kill-o-watt at 478 watts. Interestingly enough, I can't measure a difference between on and off. I think off just turns off the front LED display.

Al
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:31 AM   #14
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by acvthree View Post
For an interesting comparison, my Verizon standard definition non-DVR set top box is 500 watts, pretty much confirmed via Kill-o-watt at 478 watts. Interestingly enough, I can't measure a difference between on and off. I think off just turns off the front LED display.

Al
Is that a typo?
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:39 AM   #15
dalesd

Quote:

Al
Wow, that's 4200 kWh/year. At $0.18/kWh, my rate, that's $756/year.

That's power hog. What model is it?
Old 07-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #16
telcoman
Telcoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
With a 1Tb WD drive my series 3 (648) measures 41 watts using "Kill A Watt". In Hartford i pay a total of $0.18/Kwh so my cost is about $64/year or $5.40/month for each Series 3.
So that is the cost without ever turning on a TV?

Comcast Central New Jersey Middlesex County
One series 4 Premiere Elite, Three Series 3 Digital HD w M Card, Two Series 2, Slingbox classic,Sony 36" XBR Flat Screen 250 lb Tube w 6 inputs
telcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #17
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
For an interesting comparison, my Verizon standard definition non-DVR set top box is 500 watts, pretty much confirmed via Kill-o-watt at 478 watts.
That's insane. Are you sure you aren't missing a decimal point? Or maybe including the TV? (And I mean a BIG TV?) I know it has a pass-through power port...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:25 PM   #18
JonHB

I just looked in one of the online manuals for the Verizon STB's and the picture of the back of the unit lists the specs as 500W / 4A max. That's pretty scary.

I've been moving my kill-a-watt around the house lately checking things out and it's going on one of the VZ set top boxes tonight! Even if it only consumes half of what what ACVTHREE reports, I can replace all of my STB's (4 of them) with Tivo HD's and the Tivo's will pay for themselves!!

Edit: I think the 500W/4A max has to be for switched devices on the aux outlet. See this Motorola presentation that shows some power consumption levels: http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partner...esentation.pdf Based on this data, the SD STB should use less than a Tivo.

Last edited by JonHB : 07-23-2008 at 12:38 PM.
JonHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:38 PM   #19
dalesd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHB View Post
I've been moving my kill-a-watt around the house lately checking things out and it's going on one of the VZ set top boxes tonight! Even if it only consumes half of what what ACVTHREE reports, I can replace all of my STB's (4 of them) with Tivo HD's and the Tivo's will pay for themselves!!
Assuming his numbers are correct, at 18c/kWh, it would pay for itself and lifetime service in one year. (YMMV)
Old 07-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #20
Deanq4
TiVo Lover!

Can someone give a Kill-a-watt reading of a DVR model... I only pay 4c/KWH, but still that is way high!!! My PC doesn't even run that much with the old style monitor.

WOW

Live music is better! It's all one song!
Deanq4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #21
JonHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanq4 View Post
Can someone give a Kill-a-watt reading of a DVR model... I only pay 4c/KWH, but still that is way high!!! My PC doesn't even run that much with the old style monitor.

WOW
I have both the VZ HD DVR and VZ SD STB and will test both. See the edit on my previous post though, based on the Motorola data, the numbers shouldn't be that high.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:26 PM   #22
acvthree

Please give it a test. Maybe I did something wrong (it has happened). I used a borrowed kill-o-watt and can't retest.

See if you can see a difference with it on and off.

Someone asked for the model. It is QIP2500/1006.

I was pretty amazed and wondered what people who have several TVs are doing.

Al
Old 07-23-2008, 01:40 PM   #23
litkaj

Quote:
I have both the VZ HD DVR and VZ SD STB and will test both. See the edit on my previous post though, based on the Motorola data, the numbers shouldn't be that high.
They include the power available to the pass-thru power port on the back of the STBs when they quote power consumption.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
litkaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #24
acvthree

The datasheet says 15w nominal.

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/...IP2500_New.pdf

When the kill-o-watt seemed to confirm what was on the back of the STB I didn't investigate any farther, so it is starting to appear I was wrong.

Al
Old 07-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #25
interestingstuff

Is this something perhaps we can get tivo to release the data on (or a cool, organized chart) if they haven't already (okay, I assume the data might be in various users manuals,etc. but I doubt it's organized in any one place) -- for (possibly) all their models ever produced?

I'm particularly interested in going off-grid and probably will be doing so in a short while at one property.. and my mom has an RV... in both situations it would be helpful to know the power usage levels, which models are the most energy efficient, etc.

Clearly Tivo's probably got the data buried somewhere.. and who knows maybe releasing the data will help to create a niche market, and increase subscribers and purchases. amongst these and similar communities.

I'd also be interested in looking at the possibility of replacing tivo's standard AC->DC power supply with a DC->DC one, but of course that would take some hardware hacking. I don't think any Tivos ever came out with any external power supplies.
Tivo 80 hour + Lifetime FREE AFTER A YARD SALE!
Tivo 40 hour + Lifetime (GOODWILL! Still needs IR, etc.)
interestingstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:21 PM   #26
JonHB

Quote:
The datasheet says 15w nominal.

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/...IP2500_New.pdf

When the kill-o-watt seemed to confirm what was on the back of the STB I didn't investigate any farther, so it is starting to appear I was wrong.

Al
Sounds like maybe you had a TV or something plugged into it. Either that or your reading was the total accumulated kwh that must then be divided by the time it was running to get the average.

I just did a test on the QIP2500 and it pulls a constant .23 amps. At 115 volts, this equates to 26 watts. Not exactly their stated 15w, but not huge by any stretch. I saw no variation between being in the on or off position.

With this low of power consumption, I'm not inclined to go digging in the back of my entertainment center to test the VZ HD DVR version of the STB (plus I'm packing for camping right now).
Old 07-24-2008, 08:13 AM   #27
classicsat
Astute User

If you know what you are doing, you probably can adapt a DC input Mini ATX supply for TiVo, plus make a small boost regulator for the 30V tuning supply.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:13 AM   #28
acvthree

Quote:
Sounds like maybe you had a TV or something plugged into it. Either that or your reading was the total accumulated kwh that must then be divided by the time it was running to get the average.
I don't have a TV connected to the STB. I think I either had the device set up to accumulated kwh as you say or just slipped a decimal in my mind when it looked so close to what was on the back of the device. I had a little adrenalin going when I thought an STB I use for 30 minutes a day in an excersize room was drawing half as much as a refrigerator.

It's not what you don't know that hurts you, it is what you THINK you know that is WRONG!

Thanks again for setting me straight.

Al
Old 09-02-2008, 11:59 PM   #29
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
That's insane. Are you sure you aren't missing a decimal point? Or maybe including the TV? (And I mean a BIG TV?) I know it has a pass-through power port...
Insane is the word. A unit the size of a TiVo would literally be broiling hot - well over 100C - if it were dissipating 500W. A consumer electrical room heater only puts out 1500 Watts, and a 1500 Watt heat gun can easily melt lead. A 500 Watt lamp focused on a region of cloth or paper with the same surface area as a TiVo will start a fire. I've seen it happen working in the theater.

Any box the size of a DVR which internally dissipates 500 Watts will fry itself. Some TiVos get a bit hot dissipating only 45 Watts.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #30
warrenn

I'd really like to see a true hibernate mode for the tivo where it only wakes/records things for Now Playing. I don't need it recording the 30-minute, live tv buffer at 3 am.

One thing it could do would be to not record live tv if a button hasn't been pressed for 60 minutes or whatever. That way it's not wasting power recording stuff when I'm not even there.
warrenn is offline   Reply With Quote