TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #1
EricTheYellow

Yet another THD stuck at Powering Up...

Hi everyone- While I was out of town in late January, something happened and I came home to the TiVo HD stuck at the Powering Up... screen. Finally this afternoon I pulled the current 2TB drive and put it in a PC for diagnosis. The manufacturer's drive maintenance tool found a bad sector.

JMFS is copying the drive to a new WD20EURS as I type... is it going to choke when it hits the bad sector? I looked for ways to get JMFS to check/fix the drive but did not find any. Any other tools / tricks that will help to get it going?

It would be nice to keep the recordings, which is why I started with the copy. I do have a backup from the original drive with a very old software version, hopefully that won't complicate things.

Speaking of software versions... I noticed other threads about a software update on or around 1/22, which is the time I was away. Possibly related?

EricTheYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:52 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheYellow View Post
Hi everyone- While I was out of town in late January, something happened and I came home to the TiVo HD stuck at the Powering Up... screen. Finally this afternoon I pulled the current 2TB drive and put it in a PC for diagnosis. The manufacturer's drive maintenance tool found a bad sector.

JMFS is copying the drive to a new WD20EURS as I type... is it going to choke when it hits the bad sector? I looked for ways to get JMFS to check/fix the drive but did not find any. Any other tools / tricks that will help to get it going?

It would be nice to keep the recordings, which is why I started with the copy. I do have a backup from the original drive with a very old software version, hopefully that won't complicate things.

Speaking of software versions... I noticed other threads about a software update on or around 1/22, which is the time I was away. Possibly related?
The drive maker's software should have been able to re-map that bad sector to an unused one (that was previously "hidden" and held in reserve for exactly this), doing its best to copy the 1s and 0s from the bad one to it.

jmfs uses

dd_rescue

to do its copying, and it's designed to try lots of tricks to copy the data from "bad" sectors, so if you only had "a" bad sector, you should get a usable copy out of the process.

If a TiVo never moves on from the Welcome screen, that means the motherboard isn't communicating with the drive properly, which can caused by several things, one of which is a failing TiVo power supply that can't provide enough current to spin up the drive properly, so get hold of a voltmeter somewhere and check the yellow for +12, the red for +5, and the orange for +3.3 with the power supply plugged into the motherboad, since those type supplies (switch mode) have to have a load connected to work properly.

The EURS has been out of production for a while now, where did you get a new one?

As for the new version of the software, 11.0n, it's only being rolled out in certain Comcast markets so far, as the reason it exists is to enable the HD and HD XL to use the new MPEG4 encoding which Comcast is starting to employ.

https://support.tivo.com/articles/Fe...Select-Markets

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=535049

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 02-07-2016, 08:53 PM   #3
EricTheYellow

Thanks for the tips. I've lurked the forums for a long time and found a lot of help for upgrades on my earlier S2 and THD. You guys and the community here are great!

After running for about a day the JMFS copy is showing 2TB rescued and about 1.6TB processed, with 45 errors and errsize of 3472kB. Current status is "Splitting bad sectors..." so I hope it's using those 'tricks' to get data from bad sectors.

Is there something I should do or try after it's finished? The MFS 2.0 readme mentioned fsfix which sounds applicable but I couldn't find any other info on it.

I will check the power supply with the drive installed, too.

The bad drive is actually an upgrade, a 2TB Hitachi 3k5000. It's about 5 years old so reaching the end of its lifespan. Unfortunately the Hitachi DFT software can only reallocate bad sectors after erasing the entire drive. It reports the SMART status as 'OK' so not sure what happened there. Sticking with WD for the replacement and any future upgrades!

I found an Amazon seller with the WD20EURS for $72, so I went with that for the replacement. Search B0042AG9V8 there (can't post the link since I'm new).

I only mention the new software because I saw in the posts about 11.0n that it rolled out at around the same time as the problem happened. I am in Chicago, one of the areas where Comcast has gone MPEG4. Not sure if the software update depends on OTA vs. cable setup (I'm OTA). Perhaps there were problems on the drive that manifested with the software update.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:48 PM   #4
EricTheYellow

So JMFS is ~still~ running after three days, with the status message "Retrying bad sectors..." The reported errors is up to 82.

Should I let it keep going? Will it stop on it's own, or do I need to control-C?

Old 02-10-2016, 02:33 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
So JMFS is ~still~ running after three days, with the status message "Retrying bad sectors..." The reported errors is up to 82.

Should I let it keep going? Will it stop on it's own, or do I need to control-C?
Do what you can to keep the old drive (the source drive being copied) cooled down as much as possible (leak-proof ice packs are not out of the question) and let it keep going for another day or so as long as you've let it go this long.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:02 PM   #6
EricTheYellow

OK - so it's finally finished. Getting the drive out to try it in the TiVo, fingers crossed.

For the record, I started this on Saturday afternoon, and it's Friday afternoon now. The last error count I recall seeing was 83. At first I didn't notice the full status message was "Retrying bad sectors... Retry 1". It went through Retry 1, 2, 3 then finally said "Successfully copied". Holy dd_rescue, Batman!

For anyone curious, the WD20EURS shows a manufacture date of Dec 2013.

Power supply checks a little low, 11.8v 5.0v and 3.3v. The PS is marked AcBel Model ST7002-BW0G and has one big, squat electrolytic on it that's marked 470uF 200V. Should I be ordering a new cap for this one?

Old 02-12-2016, 08:56 PM   #7
HerronScott

Quote:
Power supply checks a little low, 11.8v 5.0v and 3.3v. The PS is marked AcBel Model ST7002-BW0G and has one big, squat electrolytic on it that's marked 470uF 200V. Should I be ordering a new cap for this one?
Typically, there hasn't been a need to replace the large one but there have been a few reports of that one leaking also.

Scott

Roamio Pro - 3TB - All-in
S3 HD - 2TB - Lifetime (son's)
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:55 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
OK - so it's finally finished. Getting the drive out to try it in the TiVo, fingers crossed.

For the record, I started this on Saturday afternoon, and it's Friday afternoon now. The last error count I recall seeing was 83. At first I didn't notice the full status message was "Retrying bad sectors... Retry 1". It went through Retry 1, 2, 3 then finally said "Successfully copied". Holy dd_rescue, Batman!

For anyone curious, the WD20EURS shows a manufacture date of Dec 2013.

Those are pretty good voltage numbers on the power supply if those are the readings with both motherboard and hard drive connected.

The 200V cap doesn't have to handle the higher switching frequencies the medium sized ones near the heat sink(s) do, so it usually doesn't break down.