TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-10-2016, 01:48 PM   #1
anonymoususer

Arrow Tivo's House of Bricks

Does anyone know how many HDs are being turned into Bricks, I mean, are in Service?

From Tivo:
***UPDATE***

Good morning everyone.

We have an update to this issue. At this point in time the TiVo Search function looping back is expected behavior. We are advising customers to use Search By Title as a permanent replacement for that function. If you are interested in getting into a newer TiVo please give us a call to explore all the exciting offers we have available for replacing the Series 3/HD devices.

If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to any of the TiVo Support Staff on the forums.

Thank You & Have A Great Day.

2 - S2's ( 1 - TiVo 40meg, 1 - Humax 80meg )
2 - S3's (TiVoHD)
1 - Premiere/Mini/Stream
anonymoususer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:47 PM   #2
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymoususer View Post
Does anyone know how many HDs are being turned into Bricks, I mean, are in Service?

From Tivo:
***UPDATE***

Good morning everyone.

We have an update to this issue. At this point in time the TiVo Search function looping back is expected behavior. We are advising customers to use Search By Title as a permanent replacement for that function. If you are interested in getting into a newer TiVo please give us a call to explore all the exciting offers we have available for replacing the Series 3/HD devices.

If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to any of the TiVo Support Staff on the forums.

Thank You & Have A Great Day.
funny you should post this - I am just on the phone with Tivo tech support and the kindly read me this statement. What a warm fuzzy this is...for Lifetime. But I understand that they can't support old technology forever - at some point things just change. Analog phone lines for example - that's what a Tivo expects at the phone jack, not a digital phone signal. Outdated Api's, etc.
Five years ago, Tivo swapped out my two HD's for two Premiere's and charged $99 for each. Seemed fair.
Maybe you can try that argument....

Last edited by tvmaster2; 02-10-2016 at 04:56 PM.
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:10 PM   #3
caughey

On Monday, the official TiVo line was:

https://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/fo...ageId=10432560
Quote:
As of this time, this particular problem is still classified as a Known Issue, and our engineering department is still actively working on finding a resolution. We will keep you updated as we receive more information, but we definitely appreciate your patience. Using the "Search by Title" function, while not a resolution, should work as a temporary alternative.
So now the "temporary alternative" that is "not a resolution" is the "permanent replacement." Sounds like they broke something and finally decided it was more trouble to fix than it was worth.

Odd with that mindset they are still rolling out the MPEG4 software update with one hand while removing features with the other.

caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:38 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughey View Post
On Monday, the official TiVo line was:

https://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/fo...ageId=10432560

So now the "temporary alternative" that is "not a resolution" is the "permanent replacement." Sounds like they broke something and finally decided it was more trouble to fix than it was worth.

Odd with that mindset they are still rolling out the MPEG4 software update with one hand while removing features with the other.

I am convinced that there are two different sets of people who take turns running TiVo on alternate days or weeks or months.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:14 AM   #5
jrtroo
User

I don't understand the reference to "bricks". All other functions are working normally?

Old 02-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #6
caughey

That depends on what you mean by "all other functions."

caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:45 PM   #7
shwru980r

I use wishlist searches to replace Tivo search and amazon fire tv for OTT content.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:11 AM   #8
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

My point is that if you have lifetime subscription, then removing features is a breech of contract! When u bought the lifetime, the features available were what you bought.

If they are removing them, then they need to let you buy a new tivo and transfer the lifetime to it.

But tivo does not see it that way.

S1 Phillips #13-ret
S1 Sony SVR-2000-ret
S2-500gb HD, 2 units-ret
TivoHD-2tb, chip mod, 2 units
Premiere-2tb JMFS
Premiere4-2tb JMFS-ret
Roamio Plus-4tb Comm Img
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:11 PM   #9
achalupa

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
My point is that if you have lifetime subscription, then removing features is a breech of contract! When u bought the lifetime, the features available were what you bought. If they are removing them, then they need to let you buy a new tivo and transfer the lifetime to it. But tivo does not see it that way.
Actually TiVo Search, as it was before being removed, was not a feature when the S3 was released. There was a different feature called Swivel Search. I'm also fairly certain only local search was available on the S3 at launch.

While I don't like that a bunch of features have been removed it's not as cut and dry as you indicate. There have been many features added and removed over the life of the S3 line. This includes services provided by TiVo (Search) as well as 3rd parties (Youtube, rhapsody, Amazon, etc). Some are under TiVo control and some aren't. Some people have had lifetime on these units for 8 years, others for a few months. How can you use that to determine what features are available?

achalupa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:10 AM   #10
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
My point is that if you have lifetime subscription, then removing features is a breech of contract! When u bought the lifetime, the features available were what you bought.

If they are removing them, then they need to let you buy a new tivo and transfer the lifetime to it.

But tivo does not see it that way.
Their liability would be limited to damages; I would guess that the damages in this case would be the appropriate fraction of the current amortized value of your TiVo lost due to not being able to perform the lost functions. You could try submitting that to the TiVo arbitrator and see what you get. I suspect he would read you this from the TiVo User Agreement:
Features and functionality are subject to change. We reserve the right to determine the timing and content of software updates, which may be automatically downloaded and installed by TiVo products without prior notice to you.

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #11
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by achalupa View Post
There was a different feature called Swivel Search.
The swivel search still works. If you set the TV aspect ratio to 4:3, then the Tivo Search option will give the option to select swivel search.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote