TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2007, 10:59 AM   #31
Rooster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 30
I'll reserve my complaining for when they play a foreign, annoying sound when you fast forward past TiVo's preferred commercials ... oh wait. I got my TiVo to timeshift and to fastforward through unwanted ads. You've got to expect that when you start introducing more ads you're going to rub people the wrong way when one of the bigger benefits of your product is avoiding advertising, especially when people pay a premium monthly subscription for your service.

I didn't buy my TiVo because they found new and innovative ways to advertise to me, so part of me feels like they're changing the deal when they slowly introduce more and more advertising into the system. At the same time, I realize that it's obvious now that the old business model wasn't working so I kind of understand them doing what they need to so they can remain in business. That said, it's hard to argue that more and more advertising creep is going into the system and the line for me is when it becomes intrusive and plays sounds when you try to get through it too quickly.
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:22 AM   #32
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: North Potomac, MD
Posts: 3,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
I'll reserve my complaining for when they play a foreign, annoying sound when you fast forward past TiVo's preferred commercials ... oh wait. I got my TiVo to timeshift and to fastforward through unwanted ads. You've got to expect that when you start introducing more ads you're going to rub people the wrong way when one of the bigger benefits of your product is avoiding advertising, especially when people pay a premium monthly subscription for your service.

I didn't buy my TiVo because they found new and innovative ways to advertise to me, so part of me feels like they're changing the deal when they slowly introduce more and more advertising into the system. At the same time, I realize that it's obvious now that the old business model wasn't working so I kind of understand them doing what they need to so they can remain in business. That said, it's hard to argue that more and more advertising creep is going into the system and the line for me is when it becomes intrusive and plays sounds when you try to get through it too quickly.
I have no arguments with your position; it seems to be quite reasonable. However, I do want to point out that TiVo from day 1 has always said that advertising will be an important part of their revenue stream. What they want to offer is targeted ads - ads that the user is interested in. Eg, pressing a thumbs up during a Ford commercial gets you an extended information dump from Ford. They haven't changed their model at all in that respect. The ads are not going to disappear.
__________________
CrispyCritter
TiVo Roamio:Felix TiVo Premiere:Bob TiVo XL4:Fred TiVo HDXL:Sharon TiVoHD:Susan
CrispyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:07 PM   #33
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain
 
ZeoTiVo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 25,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
the line for me is when it becomes intrusive and plays sounds when you try to get through it too quickly.
so are you the first to actually cancel your TiVo subscriptions/sell them off and inform TiVo you did so because you do not like the advertising.


BTW - advertising was part of TiVo business model since they opened their doors - it is just now getting enough eyeballs to do something with advertising
__________________
You just need to disable your sense of shame for all humanity and click past the break
ZeoTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:26 PM   #34
ZildjianKX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 70
I don't think the ads are cool. They should have an opt in and have it lower your monthly fees... TiVo is already expensive enough without the ads.
ZildjianKX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:44 PM   #35
Atomike
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 292
Quote:
so are you the first to actually cancel your TiVo subscriptions/sell them off and inform TiVo you did so because you do not like the advertising.
Every time someone complains about the ads, you use this argument. Every time. We've heard it. It's not as clever as you think it is. Come up with something new, for Pete's sake.

You're argument is this: The ads are fine because nobody hates them enough to cancel.
Just for fun, let's all look at why it's illogical:
1. Do you know for a fact that nobody has canceled their Tivo because of the intrusive ads? You can prove this?
2. I have lifetime service on my one Tivo, but I will not buy another Tivo because of the intrusive ads. So, if you're begging someone to point lost sales resulting from the intrusive ads, I can point out at least one.
3. There are other negative responses other than canceling service. Let's name one: telling someone else not to get a Tivo because of the ads (Or people reading on Digg about the intrusive ads). Personally, I have a strong suspicion that any annoying feature will cause the loss of customers.

I'm not arguing that Tivo's revenue will not improve temporarily as a result of these ads - I'm merely pointing out that your argument simply makes no sense and you should stop vomiting it perpetually.
Now go make me a sandwich.
Atomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:54 PM   #36
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
these ads first appeared about 6 months or more ago. they are not new.
Also as others asked can you please describe exactly what you had to do differently to use your DVR. Exactly how intrusive was this ad?

I find them easy to ignore, myself, since the current crop of ads have no interest for me. If it was for some new Movie I would click through to see the extended trailer
+1
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:23 PM   #37
056557
edanieli
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6
It's brilliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmill14 View Post
Well, I for one give a big KUDOS to Tivo for finding a way to promote clickable advertising (which helps them stay in business) and yet not have it be intrusive in any way whatsoever. Itís not an ad you have to watch, skip over, or even click past. Itís just there if you want to see it.

I can imagine 1000's of more intrusive advertising techniques (that Tivo has even used in the past) and are especially visible on the networks (popups) and all over the internet.
IMHO, this method of advertising placement is frankly brilliant. I donít know who came up with this placement, but the first time I experienced it I was stunned at how compelling the placement was. Perhaps this is why the person who posted the original message had such a visceral reaction to it. This specific placement is incredibly effective. More so than virtually any other electronic placement I have ever seen. Hereís why.

There is something about one's mental state when one has just finished an engaging right-brain task and is ready to start something new. It uniquely opens one up to the power of suggestion. That occurs virtually nowhere else in the Tivo application path. At every other point, I am either starting something (and canít be bothered) , or in the middle of something (and canít be bothered), vs. ending something (and am much more willing to be bothered). In fact, if I just finished a particularly compelling or poignant drama, I may be in a uniquely contemplative state of mind. And Iím a prefect target for the right kind of ad.

It's brilliant. The first time I saw it, I was struck with how uniquely effective it will probably be.

I realize that there are many people who disdain advertising as a matter of principle, and may not appreciate my position. For them, advertising will always be an acquired taste at best and evil at worst. However some of us actually find certain types of advertising to be brilliant. And this is one of them.
056557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:23 PM   #38
056557
edanieli
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6
Smile It's brilliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmill14 View Post
Well, I for one give a big KUDOS to Tivo for finding a way to promote clickable advertising (which helps them stay in business) and yet not have it be intrusive in any way whatsoever. Itís not an ad you have to watch, skip over, or even click past. Itís just there if you want to see it.

I can imagine 1000's of more intrusive advertising techniques (that Tivo has even used in the past) and are especially visible on the networks (popups) and all over the internet.
IMHO, this method of advertising placement is frankly brilliant. I donít know who came up with this placement, but the first time I experienced it I was stunned at how compelling the placement was. Perhaps this is why the person who posted the original message had such a visceral reaction to it. This specific placement is incredibly effective. More so than virtually any other electronic placement I have ever seen. Hereís why.

There is something about one's mental state when one has just finished an engaging right-brain task and is ready to start something new. It uniquely opens one up to the power of suggestion. That occurs virtually nowhere else in the Tivo application path. At every other point, I am either starting something (and canít be bothered) , or in the middle of something (and canít be bothered), vs. ending something (and am much more willing to be bothered). In fact, if I just finished a particularly compelling or poignant drama, I may be in a uniquely contemplative state of mind. And Iím a prefect target for the right kind of ad.

It's brilliant. The first time I saw it, I was struck with how uniquely effective it will probably be.

I realize that there are many people who disdain advertising as a matter of principle, and may not appreciate my position. For them, advertising will always be an acquired taste at best and evil at worst. However some of us actually find certain types of advertising to be brilliant. And this is one of them.
056557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:27 PM   #39
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain
 
ZeoTiVo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 25,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomike View Post
Every time someone complains about the ads, you use this argument. Every time. We've heard it. It's not as clever as you think it is. Come up with something new, for Pete's sake.
this poster specifically said he had reached his line due to the sound. I was wondering if that was true or he was just complaining.

Have you told TiVo the reason you are not getting any more TiVo DVRs?
At what p[oint would you stop just posting, actually sell the lifetime TiVo and use something else?

also please point to where I told anyone they can not complain or they are not allowed to dislike any ads. On the other hand you seem to feel compelled to try and squelch my opinion and points. Not the sign of a strong base to argue from on your side.

So, I simply add my standing counter claim that most people TRULY do not find it all that bad or else they would cancel the service and post about it here to make sure the reason is known.
__________________
You just need to disable your sense of shame for all humanity and click past the break
ZeoTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #40
Atomike
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 292
Quote:
On the other hand you seem to feel compelled to try and squelch my opinion and points.
Yes, I countered your points using logical arguments. To which, I notice is no real response. I don't think it's a bad thing to point out why someone is wrong.

Quote:
So, I simply add my standing counter claim that most people TRULY do not find it all that bad or else they would cancel the service and post about it here to make sure the reason is known.
This is still a jump in logic - you take an inaction as proof of a definitive opinion. Nice try, but not valid at all.
But, I am happy that you've changed your opinion slightly and softened your view. Perhaps at least now you will not demand someone give you a name of a person who's canceled due to the ads. That's all I'm asking, and I think that now that we've examined the logic, that will not happen again.
Atomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:51 PM   #41
nirisahn
Registered User
 
nirisahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Denver area
Posts: 6,874
TiVo has to make money somehow. And since whether or not to watch the ad is a choice, it doesn't bother me in the least. As someone said, TiVo is already expensive enough (if you don't have lifetime). Given a choice between raising their fees even higher, and targeted ads, I vote for targeted ads.

There is a limit to how much TiVo can charge for their service. People are already complaining that it's too expensive. TiVo needs to bring in enough revenue to stay afloat or we'll all be stuck with the crummy dvrs from the cable and satellite companies.

Those of you who are highly offended by the ads - can you think of an alternative to help TiVo stay afloat without raising their prices again? My guess is that if you can, the powers that be at TiVo would love to hear it. They only stay in business if they make people happy, and they're already having enough trouble doing that, as is evidenced by all the customer service and pricing complaints.

Advertising is what supports almost all entertainment. At some point, we have to deal with it on some level. What TiVo is doing is the least annoying and least obtrusive I've seen yet. If there are any better ideas out there, let's hear them.
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:07 PM   #42
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain
 
ZeoTiVo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 25,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomike View Post
1. Do you know for a fact that nobody has canceled their Tivo because of the intrusive ads? You can prove this?
Nope. But I can say I have yet to see the first post in all these many threads on someone telling me they cancelled. What proof do you have that anyone has cancelled over the ads? TiVo inc. seems to continuously point happily to increased revenue from ads, so they must not be feeling any perceptible loss of subs over ads
Quote:
2. I have lifetime service on my one Tivo, but I will not buy another Tivo because of the intrusive ads. So, if you're begging someone to point lost sales resulting from the intrusive ads, I can point out at least one.
yes, but that is an easy inaction on your part. Sure it would hurt Tivo if you actually would have bought another TiVo otherwise, but the inaction is easy. My point is that no one TRULY dislikes the ads as much as you all claim as actions speak louder than posts, sell the lifetimed unit and use a different DVR then I, and more importantly TiVo inc., will take you or anyone else seriously
Quote:
3. There are other negative responses other than canceling service. Let's name one: telling someone else not to get a Tivo because of the ads (Or people reading on Digg about the intrusive ads). Personally, I have a strong suspicion that any annoying feature will cause the loss of customers.
See reply to number 1.Sure any annoying thing can casue loss of users. heck these stupid ad rant threads have probably lost readers of the forum I am sure it is monthly price at the root of resistence to TiVo with ads being lumped in with other stuff in the Pie chart slice marked "other". Feel free to show me the opposite is true.
Quote:
I'm not arguing that Tivo's revenue will not improve temporarily as a result of these ads - I'm merely pointing out that your argument simply makes no sense and you should stop vomiting it perpetually.
Now go make me a sandwich.
umm, so your argument is that yes, TiVo is making increased revenue off the ads and those revenues are increasing quarter over quarter but TiVo had better stop since you perceive a significant number of lost subscriptions even though few(mainly you) have said they are not getting any more TivO subs and no one has posted as to actually cancelling/selling due to ads.

Somehow though it is my argument that does not make sense

also your insulting ending just discredits you further.

So if people keep wanting to spew out ad rants, I will keep pointing out that posting a rant in an online forum will do little to stop the ads.
__________________
You just need to disable your sense of shame for all humanity and click past the break

Last edited by ZeoTiVo : 12-06-2007 at 07:49 PM.
ZeoTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:07 PM   #43
minckster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Manhattan NYC
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
So, I simply add my standing counter claim that most people TRULY do not find it all that bad or else they would cancel the service and post about it here to make sure the reason is known.
Wouldn't your counter claim still be true even TiVo lost 49% of its customers because of the ads? That's a thin reed on which to hang your hat. [Edit to add: Just a bit of teasing. I'm not interested in joining yours and Mike's match. I'll just watch. The popcorn's in the mic now.]

It's probably not too controversial to say that the advertising has led to negligible cancellations. (Zero, if I had to place a bet.) The more interesting argument is whether the advertising reduces TiVo's sales - particularly to the extent that it overwhelms the advertising revenue. I don't know and am interested to see if people can convince me one way or the other.

I'll add one data-point to the anti-advertising crowd. It's doesn't take too much reputation effect to lose a sale. I stayed away from TiVo for years, based solely on fears that TiVo tracks its subscribers' viewing habits. I could imagine that there are people who see a little blurb on engadget about advertsing on TiVo and forego any consideration of buying a TiVo. I just don't have a feel as to whether there are many of those people.

Last edited by minckster : 12-06-2007 at 04:19 PM.
minckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:28 PM   #44
Rooster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
so are you the first to actually cancel your TiVo subscriptions/sell them off and inform TiVo you did so because you do not like the advertising.


BTW - advertising was part of TiVo business model since they opened their doors - it is just now getting enough eyeballs to do something with advertising
No, I haven't sold anything. I've got 1 lifetime and 1 MSD machine. I made the decision that these were probably my last TiVos when they came out with the new and "improved" pricing scheme that struck me as both expensive and confusing. I wasn't exceptionally sure about that and really pretty down because I really like my TiVo, just made a mental note that new TiVo's probably weren't in my future.

Recently with the lifetime offers I started researching a TiVo HD and/or Series 3. It was on my Christmas list, but I've made it quite clear to my wife that I'm not interested any longer because I'm that offended by the beep. The audio beep has solidified my view that when my MSD TiVo dies (or I no longer qualify because the lifetime dies and can't be repaired) then TiVo will have seen their last dollar of mine unless their stance on this ridiculous audio beep and their pricing structure changes. As you can tell in my post, I'm not a fan of the other ads but I'm generally ok with them because I don't find them intrusive.

The audio stuff crossed the line where they're making experience decisions based on effective advertising rather than doing their best to make my experience with their product great, it represents to me a fundamental shift in the company's focus. Apparently I, as a consumer, can't support their business model and that's fine, but I'm not going to pay a premium for their product anymore.
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:05 PM   #45
nirisahn
Registered User
 
nirisahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Denver area
Posts: 6,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
...Recently with the lifetime offers I started researching a TiVo HD and/or Series 3. It was on my Christmas list, but I've made it quite clear to my wife that I'm not interested any longer because I'm that offended by the beep. The audio beep has solidified my view that when my MSD TiVo dies (or I no longer qualify because the lifetime dies and can't be repaired) then TiVo will have seen their last dollar of mine unless their stance on this ridiculous audio beep and their pricing structure changes....
What beep? Mine doesn't beep when an ad link comes up. Then again, I have all sound effects turned off because I don't like any sound effects at all from my machines. Same for my computer - I keep it muted unless I'm watching something for which I want the sound.

Maybe the solution is as simple as turning off the TiVo's sound effects.
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:35 PM   #46
Rooster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirisahn View Post
What beep? Mine doesn't beep when an ad link comes up. Then again, I have all sound effects turned off because I don't like any sound effects at all from my machines. Same for my computer - I keep it muted unless I'm watching something for which I want the sound.

Maybe the solution is as simple as turning off the TiVo's sound effects.
My issue is with a different advertising than the OP's issue. I'm not 100% clear on the specifics, but if you fast forward past a commercial that normally has one of those TiVo pop ups you get an annoying beep. It may not be on all those TiVo pop ups, but it happens when you're fast forwarding through commercials.
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:39 PM   #47
nirisahn
Registered User
 
nirisahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Denver area
Posts: 6,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
My issue is with a different advertising than the OP's issue. I'm not 100% clear on the specifics, but if you fast forward past a commercial that normally has one of those TiVo pop ups you get an annoying beep. It may not be on all those TiVo pop ups, but it happens when you're fast forwarding through commercials.
I don't hear those, either. I wonder if it's because I have sound effects turned off. I never hear any kind of beeping when I'm fast forwarding or when the pop-ups come up at the end of a recording along with the option to keep or delete.
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:01 PM   #48
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable
 
DCIFRTHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: New York
Posts: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
... BTW - advertising was part of TiVo business model since they opened their doors - it is just now getting enough eyeballs to do something with advertising
What???? Are you making an educated guess, or do you any facts that point to this?

Last edited by DCIFRTHS : 12-06-2007 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Grammar
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:01 PM   #49
Fraser+Dief
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Otttawa, Canada
Posts: 261
People need to learn what slippery slope is. It's when you lead to *unrelated* and incredulous claims, IE starting with tivo ads and ending up with the fall of civilisation.

It is not a slippery slope to complain about ads starting to appear in one place, and then appearing in another, and another, and another.

Because that's exactly what happened. In less that a year, I've gone from no ads, to ads on my main menu, ads in my features, ads in my commercials, ads in my pop up choices.

Damn right it pisses us off. Can't even get the freakin' guide data right for two+ months or bugs fixed in the software for over a year, but hey, we don't have time to deal with trivial items like that, we've got our entire staff working on ad delivery.
Fraser+Dief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #50
mrmike
Custom User Title
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser+Dief View Post
Because that's exactly what happened. In less that a year, I've gone from no ads, to ads on my main menu, ads in my features, ads in my commercials, ads in my pop up choices.
All of these except the delete ones have been on my boxes longer than a year. What hardware do you have?
mrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:43 PM   #51
ah30k
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser+Dief View Post
Can't even get the freakin' guide data right for two+ months or bugs fixed in the software for over a year, but hey, we don't have time to deal with trivial items like that, we've got our entire staff working on ad delivery.
With comments like this you've lost all credibility. Nonsensical exaggeration (or untruths) doesn't build up your point.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:25 PM   #52
fredct
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser+Dief View Post
People need to learn what slippery slope is. It's when you lead to *unrelated* and incredulous claims, IE starting with tivo ads and ending up with the fall of civilization.
No, its not:
In debate or rhetoric, the slippery slope is an argument for the likelihood of one event or trend given another. It suggests that an action will initiate a chain of events culminating in an undesirable event later. The argument is sometimes referred to as the thin end of the wedge or the camel's nose.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope


A slippery slope argument is any connection of events. I'm not saying a slippery slope can never happen or come true. It can. But its also a logical fallacy to assume that just become one thing has, another will.

You're entitled to your own opinions and preferences, and your own purchasing decisions. But for many of us, the line TiVo can't cross is to effect the usage by causing extra button pushes or dismissal of an ad before you can complete normal acts. That's a pretty bright line, and I think TiVo is well aware of that barrier, because they are so focused on user interface. If they push past it, they'll be reminded the hard way.
fredct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:08 PM   #53
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain
 
ZeoTiVo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 25,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
My issue is with a different advertising than the OP's issue. I'm not 100% clear on the specifics, but if you fast forward past a commercial that normally has one of those TiVo pop ups you get an annoying beep. It may not be on all those TiVo pop ups, but it happens when you're fast forwarding through commercials.
yes that is how it works. If you are FFing a commercial and the commercial has a billboard ad on it and your TiVo sounds are on then it will make a chime sound (not a beep, though annoying is in the ear of the beholder).

I purposefully said nothing about the chime to see what my family would say and once they have said nothing at all though we have heard it maybe 4 times now.

it does still seem like pricing is more of a concern for you than the ads. The sound was the last straw veruss the real reason from how I read your post.
__________________
You just need to disable your sense of shame for all humanity and click past the break
ZeoTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:17 PM   #54
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain
 
ZeoTiVo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 25,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by minckster View Post
Wouldn't your counter claim still be true even TiVo lost 49% of its customers because of the ads? That's a thin reed on which to hang your hat. [Edit to add: Just a bit of teasing. I'm not interested in joining yours and Mike's match. I'll just watch. The popcorn's in the mic now.].
no, if TiVo was loosing 2% of its customers due to ads then it would be a very bad business decision for them to continue ads. (rough guess as I did not crunch any numbers for this)

at 49% I would not be posting here as Tivo obviously crossed the clear bright line adn jumped off the ad cliff. I would most likely have found some other DVR method as TiVo would be truly dead at that point and thus no longer hang out in this forum as it would most likely be a HTPC capable of cable cards and I would need to be in 3 other forums to get it all working correctly
__________________
You just need to disable your sense of shame for all humanity and click past the break
ZeoTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:23 PM   #55
Rooster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
yes that is how it works. If you are FFing a commercial and the commercial has a billboard ad on it and your TiVo sounds are on then it will make a chime sound (not a beep, though annoying is in the ear of the beholder).

I purposefully said nothing about the chime to see what my family would say and once they have said nothing at all though we have heard it maybe 4 times now.

it does still seem like pricing is more of a concern for you than the ads. The sound was the last straw veruss the real reason from how I read your post.
I think it's quite the opposite. The pricing really had me saying, "TiVo is a great product, but too pricey for me now." I'd say the same thing about a Corvette even though I'd love to own one. The recent lifetime promotion was enough to overcome that "too pricey" part and seriously consider a purchase. The chime (I like that term better, thanks) to me now says "TiVo isn't about satisfying me anymore, they're catering to the advertisers now." The chime isn't a feature for the users, I can't imagine anyone saying, "Wow, I don't know how I lived without the chime when I'm fast forwarding commercials."

When I first heard it, I didn't know it was the TiVo even though I'd read something about it earlier. I immediately thought some other electronic device was trying to alert me to some problem or something. My wife, having no idea asked me "What was that?" It wasn't until the 2nd time I heard it that I made the connection and only because I remembered reading something about it (my wife said, "There it is again"). It's not intuitive to the user what the purpose of the chime is, it's not something I find valuable, and I find it intrusive to the point of being offensive. It's only reason to exist is to benefit advertisers (and thereby TiVo indirectly). I don't like paying a premium for a product or service to cater to someone else's wants.

The pricing changed the value proposition for owning a TiVo for me and it was largely overcome by a special offer, the chime changed my opinion of the company and it's product and it can really only be overcome by a reversal on the part of TiVo and even then I'll have some lingering doubts about where TiVo's priorities are. For TiVo, I think the latter is far more damaging, but I'm just one consumer.

Your post has provoked some thought, though. I'm going to give serious consideration this weekend to canceling the MSD machine and letting the TiVo CSR know exactly why they're not getting my money anymore. It's more likely I'll stick with my original plan, but the idea will receive serious consideration.
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:33 PM   #56
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain
 
ZeoTiVo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 25,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
Your post has provoked some thought, though. I'm going to give serious consideration this weekend to canceling the MSD machine and letting the TiVo CSR know exactly why they're not getting my money anymore. It's more likely I'll stick with my original plan, but the idea will receive serious consideration.
fair enough. the chime does indeed serve solely to alert the viewer to a thumbs up ad. It fits my own litmus test of not having to do anything differently to operate my TiVo and being able to ignore any ad or use it as my sole discretion. Your threshold is obviously lower in that the noise is the line. Did you see the comments on turning off sounds? of course that may not work for you as I can see wanting the other sounds for feedback on remote presses.

So let us know how your decision goes, in all my posts someone might think I am a defender of the ads but I am not really, all the ads could go tomorrow and I would only miss movie trailers somewhat and can get them in various TiVocasts anyway. I just wanted the threads to turn to discussions that would get TiVo inc.'s attention versus just the obvious "Do not like ads".
__________________
You just need to disable your sense of shame for all humanity and click past the break
ZeoTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:47 PM   #57
Rooster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
fair enough. the chime does indeed serve solely to alert the viewer to a thumbs up ad. It fits my own litmus test of not having to do anything differently to operate my TiVo and being able to ignore any ad or use it as my sole discretion. Your threshold is obviously lower in that the noise is the line. Did you see the comments on turning off sounds? of course that may not work for you as I can see wanting the other sounds for feedback on remote presses.

So let us know how your decision goes, in all my posts someone might think I am a defender of the ads but I am not really, all the ads could go tomorrow and I would only miss movie trailers somewhat and can get them in various TiVocasts anyway. I just wanted the threads to turn to discussions that would get TiVo inc.'s attention versus just the obvious "Do not like ads".
You bring up an interesting point. I'm ok with ignoring the delete ads, but this chime seriously bothers me. My line is how intrusive they are. I feel the audio makes me take notice of something because it's out of the ordinary and it's not too uncommon for devices to beep at you to alert you of a problem. The first place I checked on the initial beep was my cell phone, it was new and I wasn't used to all the sounds so I wondered if it had a low battery or a text message came. For me, it's difficult to ignore the chime and, truth be known, I kind of felt like I was sent on a wild goose chase to find out what it was. Had I not read something prior, it probably would've taken a few more times to figure out what was going on.

Out of curiosity, would you be ok if audio stared playing while you were fast forwarding all the time? Maybe it would say, "Pepto Bismol - it's the only one that coats. Buy it at your local Wallgreens." and change it up every time. What if they used every time when there's no sound to randomly play some sort of radio-type ad. The now playing screen, all the menus, the delete screen, etc. could all have audio thrown in now and then since there's otherwise mostly silence. That would be clearly over my line, but it wouldn't require anything different to operate your TiVo.

For further anecdotal and largely unrelated thought. I also was fairly offended last year at a local radio station that used a sound that was identical to the ones in your car that would alert you to the door being open, a check engine light, low fuel, etc and they'd play that a second or so before their station identification. I was monumentally bothered because I was fooled for an instant into thinking something was wrong with my car several times only to realize it was a marketing gimmick. In that case, my biggest frustration was that they were desensitizing me to an otherwise important sound, so it's a bit different than in this case. I've largely stopped listening to that station, but I wonder if you would've reacted the same way.

I did see that post about turning off sound effects, but I do think they're a rather important part of the whole experience. I like the audio feedback for pressing remote buttons. Maybe I'll try it and see if I can live without the audio, but I hate that I have to modify how I use the TiVo to get around a feature that was added for the benefit of someone else.
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:18 PM   #58
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain
 
ZeoTiVo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 25,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
Out of curiosity, would you be ok if audio stared playing while you were fast forwarding all the time? Maybe it would say, "Pepto Bismol - it's the only one that coats. Buy it at your local Wallgreens." and change it up every time. What if they used every time when there's no sound to randomly play some sort of radio-type ad. The now playing screen, all the menus, the delete screen, etc. could all have audio thrown in now and then since there's otherwise mostly silence. That would be clearly over my line, but it wouldn't require anything different to operate your TiVo.
I have had a fairly high tolerance to sounds my whole life so I do tend to tune them out easier then most. I was surprised my wife, who hates unneeded noises, did not get annoyed by the chime but she has not remarked on it yet at all.

now the sound angle does have the same kind of point of no return for TiVo as ads in the wrong place do. The chime is a pleasant enough sound and only lasts a second so I guess that is mainly why the chime is no big deal to me and probably wont generate a lot of issues for TiVo.
Spoken words are much, much harder to ignore and of course would last much longer. I suspect that is a line that TiVo would be best to not cross at the risk of loosing significant subs.

In a way this is like a corollary to my litmus test in that chimes I can ignore and they do not change how I interact with the TiVo but spoken words or other longer lasting sounds would be hard to ignore and would indeed change the way I interact with the DVR.
__________________
You just need to disable your sense of shame for all humanity and click past the break
ZeoTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:28 PM   #59
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
Nope. But I can say I have yet to see the first post in all these many threads on someone telling me they cancelled. What proof do you have that anyone has cancelled over the ads? TiVo inc. seems to continuously point happily to increased revenue from ads, so they must not be feeling any perceptible loss of subs over ads
Wait, let me get this right. You are using as your lead argument Tivo's corporate decision making? This is a technology company that posted a loss of customers in the most recent quarterly reports? Who says their marketing expertise and business sense is good? In fact, I think Tivo's marketing and business strategy stinks and it always has. That is why they are not king of the mountain today. Little foresight. Bad advertising. A business model that ties themselves to hardware when their main competence is software.
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:56 PM   #60
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!
 
Shawn95GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 887
I don't like ads on the Tivo either, but Tivo did it elegantly.

Press thumbs up to record or for more info on commercials is cool by me. I'm not a huge fan of the showcase or star ads on the main menu, but at least they are on the bottom. I have to go out of my way to click one.

Same goes for the end of recording ads. If it really bugs you, left arrow out before the very end of the recording and you'll never see it. Again, if this ad is there it is at the very end of the list and you have to really go out of your way to select it.

I'm not saying 'bring on the ads', I'm just saying Tivo does it well. The cable STBs are a LOT less subtle with their interactive ads.
__________________
Shawn
1x S3 Tivo (Fox / ABC) WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x S3 Tivo (CBS / NBC) WD20EURS 2TB upgrade
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoģ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |