TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2010, 03:29 PM   #361
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfvtivo View Post
Whole point of me getting Tivo was to avoid ads.
Your reasoning was faulty.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #362
RoyK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: SW VA
Posts: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTYoung1 View Post
You had to bump a 3 year old thread to dig up this dead horse?
Well, the the ads are more prolific than ever so the horse is a long way from dead.
RoyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #363
bschuler2007
Frustrated owner
 
bschuler2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 324
You would also think with RCN, etc.. rolling out Tivos at like $20 a month for everything, we people who purchased Tivos $200+ and are paying $15 just for the service would have less ads then the RCN boxes. But that is not the case at all and seems infact to be the opposite. I don't get it.. but truth is, I don't get alot of things, like advertising in general.

I still don't get how keying cars with the words, PEPSI, would get someone to buy your soda.. but, ok. So you piss off and annoy Tivo users.. we will then buy your products? What a strange world we live in.
__________________
I once hit, Find more about.. and got a black screen for 45 minutes.. was I supposed to read a book about it during that time? Is that how that works?
bschuler2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #364
astrohip
Stuart F
 
astrohip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston & Brenham TX
Posts: 7,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfvtivo View Post
Whole point of me getting Tivo was to avoid ads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTYoung1 View Post
You had to bump a 3 year old thread to dig up this dead horse?
And he has 5 posts in 4 1/2 years.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #365
daveak
Series 3 Novice
 
daveak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
And he has 5 posts in 4 1/2 years.
Too busy watching shows on his TiVo to post much here.
__________________
Indecision may or may not be my problem.
- Jimmy Buffett
daveak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #366
shwru980r
Registered User
 
shwru980r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,319
The Tivo ads don't detain me from using the Tivo. They are kind of like billboards. Tivo allows me to skip over commercials which interrupt the show and detain me.
__________________
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3-Lifetime-OTA
Series 2-Lifetime-OTA
Humax DRT800-Lifetime-OTA
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Toshiba SD-H400-Basic-Cable
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #367
deathriderz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2
I'd rather have a menu link ad than have to pay a higher subscription fee... As someone else said, as long as it doesn't make me see it, or pop up while you're watching a movie, I'm happy
deathriderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #368
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless
 
wmcbrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathriderz View Post
I'd rather have a menu link ad than have to pay a higher subscription fee
But we're not actually given that choice. It's take the ads, or get no service at all.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:21 PM   #369
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,064
I couldn't tell you what any of the ads on my Tivo are for. They are so innocuous that their presence doesn't even register.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #370
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Your reasoning was faulty.
I dispute that. He is free to buy the device for whatever reason he likes. Whether it serves that purpose well or not is another matter. Many people buy over-sized, outrageously expensive cars not so they can transport themselves from place to place, but rather so important and successful people will think they, too, are important and successful. That the action has precisely the opposite effect is rather beside the point.

In this particular case, however, he was more nearly correct. The TiVo does allow one to minimize - if not eliminate altogether - the impact of commercials. A better way is to simply avoid any programming that has commercials in it. That's what I do.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #371
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
I couldn't tell you what any of the ads on my Tivo are for. They are so innocuous that their presence doesn't even register.
Well, I couldn't tell you what the vast majority of ads are for in newspapers, magazines, radio, or on advertising supported TV, and they are far from innocuous. I do agree that as commercials go, however, the TiVo commercials are currently not very intrusive, relatively speaking.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #372
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTYoung1 View Post
You had to bump a 3 year old thread to dig up this dead horse?
If he is still pissed off, why not? The situation has not gotten any better, and the main reason the world is in such a mess is that instead of continuing to fight against inequities, injustices, and plain old bad ideas the people doing the fighting just give up, and then the populace in general gets acclimated to the evil. Before long, the average person thinks it is the way it should be, or often must be. Ads are a perfect example.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #373
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
I dispute that. He is free to buy the device for whatever reason he likes. Whether it serves that purpose well or not is another matter. Many people buy over-sized, outrageously expensive cars not so they can transport themselves from place to place, but rather so important and successful people will think they, too, are important and successful. That the action has precisely the opposite effect is rather beside the point.

In this particular case, however, he was more nearly correct. The TiVo does allow one to minimize - if not eliminate altogether - the impact of commercials. A better way is to simply avoid any programming that has commercials in it. That's what I do.

I agree, he can buy it for what ever reason he wants. That doesn't by default make his reasoning reasonable. Buying something for a reason that doesn't actually exist, is done through faulty reasoning. Tivo has never claimed to be ad free and has never actually been ad free, so buying a Tivo to avoid ads is, well, done through faulty reasoning.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #374
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Well, I couldn't tell you what the vast majority of ads are for in newspapers, magazines, radio, or on advertising supported TV, and they are far from innocuous. I do agree that as commercials go, however, the TiVo commercials are currently not very intrusive, relatively speaking.
There are ads in newspapers too? I'll have to remember to try to notice them next time I read one.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #375
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
and [Tivo] has never actually been ad free.
It was ad free in 2006 when I got my first S2, unless you count the TV Guide bug in the guide as an ad.
I guess you could argue that Showcases were ads, but back then, they were mostly about upcoming TV shows, which were relevant to what Tivo was about...recording TV shows.
__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:15 AM   #376
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moline, IL
Posts: 4,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERY CRUZ View Post
There was a previous thread about a free premiere and $19.95/mo for 24 months? Not sure the higher monthly fees are going to grab new customers even with the reduced price on the hardware. That $240 a year in sub fees is a big gotcha.
First off, welcome to TCF!
But really, posting the same message multiple times in unrelated threads:

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...77#post8235977
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...75#post8235975
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...74#post8235974
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...73#post8235973
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...72#post8235972

is against the forum rules. It's great that you want to contribute to the discussions, but try to remain on topic, and contribute something relevant.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #377
bschuler2007
Frustrated owner
 
bschuler2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 324
Yeah Tivo was certainly ad free when I got my first one. I enjoyed about a year of ad free use. My main original complaint with the ads was all the Tivo literature out at the stores had screenshots, and not one of them had an ad shown. Kinda deceptive if you ask me.

I don't know if they changed the print ads or not to show real screenshots, but online I see alot of screenshots without ads.
__________________
I once hit, Find more about.. and got a black screen for 45 minutes.. was I supposed to read a book about it during that time? Is that how that works?
bschuler2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #378
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
It was ad free in 2006 when I got my first S2, unless you count the TV Guide bug in the guide as an ad.
I guess you could argue that Showcases were ads, but back then, they were mostly about upcoming TV shows, which were relevant to what Tivo was about...recording TV shows.
Advertising isn't advertising?

Beyond that, sftvo said that his whole point in getting a Tivo was to avoid ads and I guarantee you he meant avoiding commercials because that statement makes no sense regarding any of the ads on Tivo screens or placed into a program by Tivo.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #379
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
...the main reason the world is in such a mess is that instead of continuing to fight against inequities, injustices, and plain old bad ideas the people doing the fighting just give up, and then the populace in general gets acclimated to the evil. Before long, the average person thinks it is the way it should be, or often must be. Ads are a perfect example.
Wow...you're comparing ads on a teevee box to the world being in a mess with inequities, injustices, etc.? ....and a "perfect example" of such an injustice?....talk about screwed up priorities....
__________________
"You don't know Bierboy like I know Bierboy. He became a lot more amusing after I figured out his sense of humor..." -- Rob Helmerichs

XL4
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #380
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain
 
ZeoTiVo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 25,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Wow...you're comparing ads on a teevee box to the world being in a mess with inequities, injustices, etc.? ....and a "perfect example" of such an injustice?....talk about screwed up priorities....
It is the founding principals of our Democracy.. oh wait
__________________
You just need to disable your sense of shame for all humanity and click past the break
ZeoTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #381
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Wow...you're comparing ads on a teevee box to the world being in a mess with inequities, injustices, etc.? ....and a "perfect example" of such an injustice?....talk about screwed up priorities....
Not at all. First of all, I did not assign any relative importance to any particular problem. The root of many problems is based upon the same failure - people at first have an issue with something - how important is not the real question - and fight it for a while, but then grow tired and just give up fighting it. The attitude that it is "old news" is very much part and parcel of the fundamental issue. Mountains of evil are not made of a handful of giant inequities, BTW. They are made of trillions and trillions of tiny little inequities piled on one another for years and years.

Secondly, more than $1 Trillion a year is extorted from U.S. consumers without their permission ( mostly without them even realizing it ) through advertising. A small fraction of that amount could definitely end all traces of hunger worldwide, completely eliminate safety issues in automobiles and other transportation, significantly reduce pollution, and provide safe and effective means of supplying our energy needs for the next generation, at the very least. It might even be able to find a means to cure or prevent cancer. On the other side of the coin, we have Gray's Anatomy and Survivor, plus an economy that is on the very verge of total collapse. 'And you say my priorities are screwed up??
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #382
daveak
Series 3 Novice
 
daveak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Secondly, more than $1 Trillion a year is extorted from U.S. consumers without their permission ( mostly without them even realizing it ) through advertising. A small fraction of that amount could definitely end all traces of hunger worldwide, completely eliminate safety issues in automobiles and other transportation, significantly reduce pollution, and provide safe and effective means of supplying our energy needs for the next generation, at the very least. It might even be able to find a means to cure or prevent cancer. On the other side of the coin, we have Gray's Anatomy and Survivor, plus an economy that is on the very verge of total collapse. 'And you say my priorities are screwed up??
At first glance, I thought you were going to talk about taxes even though I knew that figure was way to low. So you are proposing the advertisers stop secretly extorting the public - and the government just take (extort) all that money spent on advertising and fix things? I think even Steve jobs with Apple would be against that approach.
__________________
Indecision may or may not be my problem.
- Jimmy Buffett
daveak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:30 PM   #383
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveak View Post
At first glance, I thought you were going to talk about taxes even though I knew that figure was way to low. So you are proposing the advertisers stop secretly extorting the public - and the government just take (extort) all that money spent on advertising and fix things? I think even Steve jobs with Apple would be against that approach.
No, I'm not suggesting the money be given to the government. It would be nice if it actually got used to do something useful, after all. The points are:

1. It's not a small problem. It is but a small manifestation of a giant problem. We Americans (and others, I suppose) have a habit of seeing blood and going for a band-aid, rather than realizing there are millions of gallons of blood, and that the answer is to figure out how to keep everyone from being cut in the first place, not trying to attend to a single small wound.

2. The millions of gallons of blood aren't going to disappear by themselves, nor will they do so overnight. It requires everyone to wake up and notice all the cuts. It also requires that everyone continue to staunch the flow of blood, not just get used to the fact we are all being lacerated.

3. Fundamental problemns require fundamental understanding and fundamental changes both in attitude and in processes. Whining about one small company putting up ads on one small platform isn't going to cut it. As long as other companies can obtain a competitive advantage by advertising, then they are going to advertise to obtain that advantage. If other companies obtain such an advantage, then the first company in question is going to be forced to advertise in order to compete.

And then we foot the bill for the fact all the companies want to corner the market.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:35 AM   #384
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain
 
ZeoTiVo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 25,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Not at all. First of all, I did not assign any relative importance to any particular problem. The root of many problems is based upon the same failure - people at first have an issue with something - how important is not the real question -
How important is the real question - ads on the TiVo are just NOT that big a deal. They are unobtrusive and do not affect me when I go to use my TiVo DVR. I even click on a couple that have interest to me but it is totally my choice to look at the actual ad or not.

Some folks have a reaction to any advertising whatsoever - so the wiener bar ads that show up really do bug them. OK, that is an honest reaction, and your opinion of them is just that, yours. However; to try and make your opinion some failing on my part crosses the line.
Since the ads have no impact on me, I am fine with TiVo making some extra bucks as I like their products and that I indeed do have far more important things to worry about then it simply is NOT a failing on my part or many others to not join you in your crusade. You fail to see that and instead try and sound all important as if you are blowing the horn to defend the last bastion of democracy by getting ads off your TiVo interface.
Have fun with that
__________________
You just need to disable your sense of shame for all humanity and click past the break
ZeoTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |