TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-04-2007, 02:33 AM   #1
moyekj

802.11n wireless bridge (for MRV/TTG)

Was considering picking up a couple of these: Trendnet TEW-633GR Wireless N Gigabit router
It's a draft 2.0 802.11n router which supports bridging mode and according to reviews achieves close to the advertised 300 Mpbs in wireless mode. Can be had for around $118 each at Amazon and perhaps cheaper at other stores.

My current setup is 2 802.11g routers bridged connecting a S3 downstairs to a S3 upstairs. S3->S3 MRV speeds seem to max out around 15-19 Mpbs in wireless mode compared to 44 Mbps wired under "ideal conditions" and 30 Mbps wired under "normal" conditions.

Was wondering if anyone else has tried 802.11n routers bridged together and if you were able to achieve MRV/TTG speeds equivalent to 100Mbps wired setup (which is my goal)?

P.S. Just for the heck of it I also tried the Tivo 802.11g wireless adapter and it turned out to have worse performance than my 802.11g bridge setup so I already gave that away to a friend.
Thanks for any feedback.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
ChrisMc73

I thought the Tivo 802.11g wireless adapter was the only thing that would work with the S3? Or it just the only device "supported"...meaning others will work but not supported by their technical support?
ChrisMc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:52 AM   #3
RossoNeri
Tech Geek

I think the OP is attempting to use the Ethernet port on the TiVoHD and use the router to bridge the wired connection to wireless. That should work but I don't have that set up to test performance. Although I'm quickly getting fed up with the TiVo 802.11g adapter and am sorely tempted to by a small bridge...
RossoNeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post
I thought the Tivo 802.11g wireless adapter was the only thing that would work with the S3? Or it just the only device "supported"...meaning others will work but not supported by their technical support?
The op wants to connect a 802.11n device to their TiVo's ethernet port. This is known as a wireless bridge.

TiVo does not support any 802.11n USB adapters.

Last edited by bkdtv : 12-04-2007 at 11:12 AM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj
Was wondering if anyone else has tried 802.11n routers bridged together and if you were able to achieve MRV/TTG speeds equivalent to 100Mbps wired setup (which is my goal)?
I've never seen more than 60Mbps throughput with my D-Link 802.11n router / clients. The router is one floor up. Of course, Windows reports 300Mbps but that is meaningless.

SmallNetBuilder has some "real world" tests of 802.11n routers, but unfortunately, the Trendnet is not among those tested:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/compo...ess/Itemid,200
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:41 AM   #6
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post
Using a wireless bridge works with any device with an ethernet port. The setup is:
Key:
=== wired connection
*** wireless connection (wireless bridge between routers)
Tivo1 ethernet===router1***router2===Tivo2 ethernet

I have already verified this setup using Buffalo 802.11g routers works better than using Tivo USB adapter for me. What I'm trying to determine is if there would be an advantage to use 802.11n routers instead of 802.11g. Early versions of 802.11n showed no real speed advantage of 802.11g, but things are apparently getting much faster now especially with draft 2.0.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:56 AM   #7
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
I've never seen more than 60Mbps throughput with my D-Link 802.11n router / clients. The router is one floor up. Of course, Windows reports 300Mbps but that is meaningless.

SmallNetBuilder has some "real world" tests of 802.11n routers, but unfortunately, the Trendnet is not among those tested:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/compo...ess/Itemid,200
Thanks for the link. That was the status quo about a year ago when I last checked, but I was hoping that things had progressed since then and ran into this review for this product:
http://www.thetechzone.com/?m=show&id=724

However, after some more digging I ran into this customer comment which if true means you can only bridge in 802.11n mode without any security enabled, so that would not cut it for me:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833156226
Quote:
bought two in the hopes of creating an 802.11N bridge, using one as the router, and a second to bridge over my Xbox 360 at Draft-N speeds. No such luck. The only way you can 'bridge' the two devices is to use WDS which is more of a wireless repeater than a bridge. Using WDS, you can't use WPA (not supported), and using WEP only works at 802.11g speeds. I could run an open wifi network to get this working, but I just don't want the exposure. I'm still waiting for a true 802.11N bridge

Old 12-04-2007, 12:11 PM   #8
Interpol

No way you'll get anything close to 100mbps. You'll probably be lucky to get 50-60mbps at the most.
Interpol is offline   Reply With Quote