TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-01-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
eibwenovit

Series 2 Tivo after regulatory conversion to ATSC HD signals

Hi everyone. First, I'm new to this forum and apologies if this question has been asked before (I have searched the forums and scoured the internet without much clarification).

Ok, so I recently bought a Series 2 Tivo with lifetime service. I should mention that I am only using my Tivo soley to record signals from over the air. I don't have cable or anything like that.

Because I don't want to admit to being suckered (referring to how NTSC signals will be cut by the Fed after Feb 2009), I don't want to upgrade to the HD Tivo. I know that the Series 2 Tivo doesn't support ATSC, but isn't there something I can do to still record the signals-- albeit at a lower resolution?

I'm crossing my fingers, hoping that maybe I can buy some sort of tuner/converter to connect to my Tivo, which will convert ATSC into a format that it can pick up? I am going to purchase an HDTV so I wouldn't want this device to connect to the TV and convert all signals to NTSC.. In other words, I dream of a situation where I would be watching regular televsion in HD, but my Tivo would be recording at the lowerr resolution. Hopefully what I'm trying to ask makes sense.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by eibwenovit : 12-01-2007 at 05:13 PM.
eibwenovit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
classicsat
Astute User

First off, the government mandate is purely to go digital and turn off analog. There is no government mandate to specifically go HD; that is a market consideration stations will make.

That said, what you would want is an ATSC tuner box.

However, most ATSC tuner boxes change channels in a format that looks like "16.1" or "16-1", and the guide data is listed the same. The Series 1/2 TiVos do not support guide data or channel changing with the "-" or "." delimiter. So far, it seems, TiVo has no visible plans to rectify the situation, which would require a software update (discluding the Series 1s), and a major update to the IR database (not so hard, but will take time and resources)

You can use the tuner in your HDTV to watch HDTV direct.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:23 PM   #3
eibwenovit

thanks classic cat.
So if I'm understanding what you are saying correctly, even with an ATSC tuner, it's going to act buggy (the menus and guides won't translate well). That might be a deal breaker for me.

Can you clarify something for me?-
I assume the following set up will be necessary:

1. rabbit ears will go into the ATSC tuner "antenna in."
2. connect tuner to Tivo via S-video.
3. connect Tivo "antenna out" to HDTV "antenna in"

Considering step3, doesn't that mean the HDTV would be receiving analog signals (via the tuner?). That would blow, and I would have to consider getting the HD Tivo just to preserve HD capability on the TV itself.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
Luke M

The Tivo RF output is only if your TV doesn't have ANY video input (highly unlikely!)

Plan to sell the Series 2 by the analog cutoff date. It will still have market value since it works fine with cable. The TivoHD (or whatever the current model is) will be cheaper by then and a far better solution than using an external ATSC receiver - if that is even possible.

Last edited by Luke M : 12-01-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Luke M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:29 PM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=375578
Old 12-01-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
eibwenovit

Luke-

yeah, you're right. Plus, with the ATSC tuner, looks like I'll need two antennas (one for the tuner, one for the HDTV)..which is ridiculous.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:39 PM   #7
eibwenovit

thanks for the link, scandia.
Looks like due to software limitations, Series 2 doesn't work with the tuners anyway.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:48 PM   #8
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Not yet, anyway. It might in the future.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:16 PM   #9
Martyp
Just a Daddyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by eibwenovit View Post
Luke-

yeah, you're right. Plus, with the ATSC tuner, looks like I'll need two antennas (one for the tuner, one for the HDTV)..which is ridiculous.
Well you could get a splitter and share the same antenna.

Wii# 0758-6570-3047-9720

mario kart # 3995-7234-1216

wii#2 #1185-0084-6830-3495
Martyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:01 AM   #10
classicsat
Astute User

You would connect S-video and stereo audio from the TiVo to your TV.
To get HD directly on your set, you would split your antenna feed (or get two antennae), and fee one to your ATSC tuner and the other to the antenna input on the HD set.

To record in HD or have full ATSC support now, you need one of the HD models.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:13 PM   #11
JDossey
Deuce

Excellent answer MartyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyp View Post
Well you could get a splitter and share the same antenna.
Excellent reply MartyP. I have a $10 antennae that I bought in 1991, the old directional type with the uhf on the front and the wider and wider "branches" for VHF.

I currently am receiving EXCELLENT OTA digital signals.

I do EXACTLY what you suggested.

I even have a DVD recorder in my "mix".

1. Input right from my old antennae comes into the INPUT side of my DVD recorder.
2. Output from the DVD recorder goes to the INPUT of my Series 2 ANALOG Tivo box and it works perfectly.
3.The output from my Tivo box, then goes into a really cheap splitter.
One side connects to my DTV ATSC tuner on my new TV and the other side of the splitter connects to the old NTSC analog tuner.

So I can just watch analog TV, or Digital TV, or TIVO anything from analog for now, and also even use my DVD recorder to record analog programs, OR to write to DVD (the SAVE to VCR option on my TIVO box.)

I think there is a LOT of mis information out there and people are selling VERY expensive convertor boxes that just arent needed.

The deadline to drop analog broadcasting has been postponed 2 or 3 times anyway.
Good luck everyone, just relax. Tivo has it covered.
JDossey is offline   Reply With Quote