TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-01-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Question Little Help? Some black analog channels (but tv alone can tune)

Series 3, 9.2 (for awhile), Brighthouse Networks in Birmingham, AL. Working fine (with minor hiccups) for coming up on a year.

Problem: Since Wednesday just some of my analog channels (notably Comedy Central [57], Sci Fi [58]) display as a black screen in the Tivo. I haven't done a full test but it seems to be about 5 or so scattered about. If I look at just the tv (which has a coax input as well) these tune fine. My S2 in the bedroom tunes these fine (coax directly in). All of my premium and HD channels tune fine. A reboot does not resolve the issue. If I look at the diagnostics screen, it seems okay (although I don't really know what I would be looking for - the Current Tuning Status is Tuned:Success). This occurs on both cable cards and is consistent (the same channels display the behavior on each card).

My technical knowledge is spare - is it possible these are being broadcast in digitial as well? I have a truck roll scheduled for Wed but technical support can be troublesome (as many of you know) and would welcome any ideas.

Edit: I've just noticed that the non-tuning analog channels are of Modulation QAM 256, while the tuning ones are of Modulation Analog. So who do I tell what at my Cable Provider ?

Last edited by dig_duggler : 12-01-2007 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Insight
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

One nice bump on a work day.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:51 AM   #3
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Cable tech came out. Line is fine , SA box with m card tunes fine. They have slowly been rolling out dig simulcast. Is there any known TiVo bug that fits this description?
Old 12-09-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
jrm01

I can't offer a solution, but maybe a little insight.

The QAM 256 indicates that the channel is digital. When a company provides ADS (analog-digital simulcast) it sometimes makes them available to cablecards, and some companies do not. When they do not, you are sometimes able to call them to request the digital transmission and they are able to make a change in their headend system, rehit the cards and you will get them.

I never heard of a case where you will get some in digital form and some analog, unless they are using the ADS on only a few frequencies.

With our Comcast sytem you call them and ask them to change the "Equipment Code" from 88 to 81 and rehit the cards in order to get the digital channels. Probably completely different with Brighthouse, but you could try requesting all digital and see what they say.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:44 AM   #5
jrm01

If you search this thread for ADS you will find some related stories that appear to indicate you can get the full set of digital channels if you can convince them to do their job.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...righthouse+ads
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:45 PM   #6
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

They have just begin deploying it (it's not fully implemented yet, just a few channels each week). The perplexing thing is that some of the simulcast tune and some won't. Thanks for the pointer, I've been floundering around here for an answer...
Old 12-13-2007, 11:40 AM   #7
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Question: if I pop out the cable cards, the Tivo should be trying to tune the analog channels right? I popped out the cable cards and the same channels are missing. So if some channels are missing (that are simulcast) that an analog tv picks up, what's a likely explanation? Encrypted QAM? If it's encrypted, is that allowed?
Old 01-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #8
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Slight update: It was 'some' and not all b/c they are in the midst of deployment. All simulcast channels are currently not working. They swapped out S cards for M cards and reauthorized and it did work for about a week, until they updated the channel map (with new simulcast channels). Since then, all simulcast channels are out (which is pretty much all of the basic tier) even though they have 'hit' the cards numerous times. I'm currently in limbo with it as they try to figure out what to do, with the last option of swapping the cards again. I'd suspect when they update the channel map it's not getting propagated to cable cards customers (as I understand it this is affecting all cable card customers in the area).

Sigh. I wish I didn't love my Tivo so much as I'd be so gone.