TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-25-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
SirDucky

Viewing your Free Disk Space

In the settings section, it would be nice to show the amount of free space left on TIVO. The reason is this would show you if you need to purchase your external hard drive option.
SirDucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:44 AM   #2
chip_r

Very frequently requested item here but never implemented.

Just turn on Tivo Suggestions and you'll roughly get the number of free hours on your Tivo. Anyway, I've found Tivo Suggestions does an excellent job of finding shows you may want to watch.
chip_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
curlyroller

it is just absurd that tivo lacks this feature. my old time warner dvr did it just fine. i know tivo CAN do it. so it irritates me that they wont.
curlyroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:32 PM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I read a post around here somewhere that someone made that kinda made sense.

Paraphrasing: It would be hard for the Tivo to calculate free disk space because it doesn't know when your going to delete shows AND it has to reserve space for future recordings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:23 AM   #5
ontheway

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I read a post around here somewhere that someone made that kinda made sense.

Paraphrasing: It would be hard for the Tivo to calculate free disk space because it doesn't know when your going to delete shows AND it has to reserve space for future recordings.
That only makes sense if you want to know how much free space you will have after you record all your future shows, I think what most people want to know is how much free space is there on the tivo at a given moment.

The hard part it seems would be the need to calculate how much space is in the deleted items folder since they aren't really deleted and then adding that to the unused space on the drive.
ontheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:31 PM   #6
WayneCarter

Quote:
That only makes sense if you want to know how much free space you will have after you record all your future shows, I think what most people want to know is how much free space is there on the tivo at a given moment.
What do you consider "free space"?
- the total space not actually occupied by recordings that are within their "Keep Until" date,
- the total space not commited by recordings within the "Keep Until" date and scheduled recordings (if so, for which date do you calculate the "Free Space"?),
- the space not currently occupied by items on the "Now Playing List",
- the space not currently occupied by items on the "Now Playing List", not including "Recently Deleted",
- the space not currently occupied by items on the "Now Playing List", not including "Recently Deleted" and "Suggestions",
- or something else.
Personally, I'm not sure why people want to check their "Free Space" - I wonder if it's because they think they have to manage the free space as on a PC. If it's because they want to check if they have room for upcoming shows while on a trip, that gets into a calculation of scheduled recordings vs items timing off the NPL as described above. If something like this is what is behind the request, I'd say a more effective "desire" would be more choices for "Keep Until" (2 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, n days, ... ) and/or a "Vacation mode" (eg check that all recordings for the next n-days will fit, and ensure they will be kept at least 2 days after the return date), a set of "watched" flags that could be used by family members to indicate they have (or want to) watch this show.
WayneCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #7
lrhorer

No free space

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
That's easy. The answer is, "Zero". The other DVRs can handle this easily and without much fuss becasue they lack one of the greatest features of the TiVo: Suggestions. With suggestions on and unless your TiVo is rather new or you have just permanently deleted a bunch of scheduled recordings, the TiVo will essentially always be brimming full with stuff you like, whether you specifically asked for all of it or not. Since there is no real reason to turn off suggestions, the TiVo is always full.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #8
GBL
covert opiniative

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyroller View Post
it is just absurd that tivo lacks this feature. my old time warner dvr did it just fine. i know tivo CAN do it. so it irritates me that they wont.
Yes, my SA8300HD has that feature too - a simple bar graph showing percentage used. Only reason to look at though is to make sure there is room - otherwise when the SA8300HD approaches 100% it STOPS RECORDING!!!! (Yes, the option to delete when needed is turned on - it just doesn't work).

On the TiVo it's not necessary to ever know - it can always be full and still recording more, just automatically deleting the oldest recording.

unpaid volunteer, TiVo army
GBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:45 PM   #9
bcwaller

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCarter View Post
What do you consider "free space"?
- the total space not actually occupied by recordings that are within their "Keep Until" date,
- the total space not commited by recordings within the "Keep Until" date and scheduled recordings (if so, for which date do you calculate the "Free Space"?),
- the space not currently occupied by items on the "Now Playing List",
- the space not currently occupied by items on the "Now Playing List", not including "Recently Deleted",
- the space not currently occupied by items on the "Now Playing List", not including "Recently Deleted" and "Suggestions",
- or something else.
Personally, I'm not sure why people want to check their "Free Space" - I wonder if it's because they think they have to manage the free space as on a PC. If it's because they want to check if they have room for upcoming shows while on a trip, that gets into a calculation of scheduled recordings vs items timing off the NPL as described above. If something like this is what is behind the request, I'd say a more effective "desire" would be more choices for "Keep Until" (2 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, n days, ... ) and/or a "Vacation mode" (eg check that all recordings for the next n-days will fit, and ensure they will be kept at least 2 days after the return date), a set of "watched" flags that could be used by family members to indicate they have (or want to) watch this show.
I'd say the definition is very easy. Free space is the amount available for actual user selected recordings. It might be equal to the amount of space taken by the suggestions, assuming they are on. In fact, that is how I check to see how close I am to losing a show that I myself recorded.

I will agree that the real solution could be a way to look ahead and guess how many days until full or something like that. I used to do this before I left on vacations with my other DVRs. If I knew I'd need 13 hours of space, I could easily check and see. The big complication compared to the old DVRs is that the TiVo really does not know how much space each recording will take without a database of channels and such. All my recordings are digital, but one 60 minute show will be gigabytes different than another, which really makes the guessing hard.

On average, it could take some guesses, but I could see people being more upset when it is wrong than they are at not knowing and having to take their own manual guess.
ReplayTV 5060 (for sale)
bcwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
WayneCarter

Quote:
I'd say the definition is very easy. Free space is the amount available for actual user selected recordings.
Then "free space" is the total space not actually occupied by recordings that are within their "Keep Until" date. It seems TiVo checks its "free space" (by the above definition) each time a new recording or season pass is set-up - at least, I have occasionally been notified that "to record 'X', TiVo will have to delete 'Y' on '[date]' to make room" (inexact quote).
Old 01-15-2008, 12:54 PM   #11
bcwaller

That makes sense. I've never seen this message, but then I've only had a TiVo for two months or so. The ReplayTV greys out shows at risk of deletion when "free space" gets low so you can see at a glance what will be deleted (or what you should watch) if you don't free up some space.
ReplayTV 5060 (for sale)
bcwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #12
WayneCarter

Quote:
I've never seen this message, but then I've only had a TiVo for two months or so.
The only times I have seen is when I've had or have scheduled a bunch of shows flagged as "Keep Until I Delete".

Our default recording "quality" is "Medium", we use our PC disk farm (over 1TB) for storage of anything TiVo'd that we want to keep for a while or DVD-ize it for "permanent" storage, and delete things as watch them - so the system never gets close to having recording conflicts unless we will be away for a few weeks and have setup a lot of shows as KUID so they'll be there when we return. The TiVo actually has warned me when scheduling show 'X' that it won't be able to fit when it gets recorded even if it isn't scheduled to be recorded until a week of two later.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #13
dtpetty

Simple

I agree with all of the comments above. HOWEVER, many TiVo couch potatoes are also techies, and this box is basically a computer with a harddrive and we would like to know the free HDD space in some form or other.
I will swear that when I first got one my TiVos (I have 2), that in System Information there was a ~% disk space used (or free). It is not there now.
BTW - the stupidest thing TiVo does not do, that I understand most all other DVRs do, is to cache the entire current program, instead of just the last 30 min. DUMB & occasionly very irrating when you miss the first 18 min of a 1 hr show.

Last edited by dtpetty : 02-04-2008 at 01:34 PM.
dtpetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:40 PM   #14
mrkrandall
Meat

How much is left?

I may be new to the forum, but I have had TIVO for a while now. Loved the 1st one so much I bought another (both Lifetime subscriptions of course). I Networked them, tell them what to record from over the internet, tell them what to download for me to watch latter (love that CNET download). Could even, if time wasn't so precious, have TIVO to go!! So why can't I know how much space I have left? or don't have left? whichever is more correct I don't care. Will my TIVO loose money I have the this knowledge? I think not.

I love TIVO too !!!! I just get annoyed when they don't listen. They provide all this wonderful content. Even if I had picture in picture in picture and four brains with seven sets of eyes, there isn't enough time in the day to view it all. So, like everyone else, I TIVO IT!!!! Some things I season pass and want to keep to watch all at once (throw back to watching the STAR WARS Trilogy.. oops dated myself).

I mark things "DO NOT DELETE" and TIVO is kind enough not too, thanks lil' buddy. Problem is it doesn't warn me that stuff won't get recorded because I'm behind on sitting on my behind. wait for it.... ok

Even if the gauge / meter / indicator lied to me I think I would feel better than having no clue at all as to the remaining space. I know SP mode uses more disk space than EP (I've had a few VCR's... I get it!). BUT if TIVO is a little computer recording stuff, it must know where EOT (End Of Tape) is. For as dumb as a VCR was/is it knew how much tape was left on the spool.

I'll stop for now... Next time maybe we can talk about this lack of warning that something won't be recorded unless you micro manage the lil guy. Or maybe that when they system does a update, that it doesn't reboot itself and you miss a show because ... Sorry, those are for latter.

Thanks for listening, forgive the spelling
mrkrandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #15
jbcooley

I've written a very simple application that can display estimated free space through the "Music, Photos, and more" menu. The application requires bonjour to be installed before it will work. You can find the installer for TivoDiskUsage as well as the source at my google code project.

This application is built on the hme for .net sdk announced here
jbcooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:52 AM   #16
WayneCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcooley View Post
I've written a very simple application that can display estimated free space through the "Music, Photos, and more" menu. The application requires bonjour to be installed before it will work. You can find the installer for TivoDiskUsage as well as the source at my google code project.

This application is built on the hme for .net sdk announced here
What does your app consider "free space"? See post 6 in this thread.

The benefit of your app for a given potential user depends on how the TiVo is used and how it create "free space".
Old 03-05-2008, 08:10 AM   #17
jbcooley

Quote:
What does your app consider "free space"? See post 6 in this thread.
My app groups space into one of seven categories.
In Progress
Save until I delete
Current
Expires Soon
Expired
Suggestion
Estimated Free (based on maximum space ever consumed for this tivo)

This is displayed in a pie chart in that order. While Estimated Free is not going to display much with suggestions turned on, you can easily see what you consider free space due to the grouping of the pie slices.

This application is just something I wrote to demo my library. If someone prefers a different display, I'd be open to suggestions.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:10 AM   #18
WayneCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrandall View Post
I may be new to the forum, but I have had TIVO for a while now. Loved the 1st one so much I bought another (both Lifetime subscriptions of course). I Networked them, tell them what to record from over the internet, tell them what to download for me to watch latter (love that CNET download). Could even, if time wasn't so precious, have TIVO to go!! So why can't I know how much space I have left? or don't have left? whichever is more correct I don't care. Will my TIVO loose money I have the this knowledge? I think not.

I love TIVO too !!!! I just get annoyed when they don't listen. They provide all this wonderful content. Even if I had picture in picture in picture and four brains with seven sets of eyes, there isn't enough time in the day to view it all. So, like everyone else, I TIVO IT!!!! Some things I season pass and want to keep to watch all at once (throw back to watching the STAR WARS Trilogy.. oops dated myself).

I mark things "DO NOT DELETE" and TIVO is kind enough not too, thanks lil' buddy. Problem is it doesn't warn me that stuff won't get recorded because I'm behind on sitting on my behind. wait for it.... ok

Even if the gauge / meter / indicator lied to me I think I would feel better than having no clue at all as to the remaining space. I know SP mode uses more disk space than EP (I've had a few VCR's... I get it!). BUT if TIVO is a little computer recording stuff, it must know where EOT (End Of Tape) is. For as dumb as a VCR was/is it knew how much tape was left on the spool.

I'll stop for now... Next time maybe we can talk about this lack of warning that something won't be recorded unless you micro manage the lil guy. Or maybe that when they system does a update, that it doesn't reboot itself and you miss a show because ... Sorry, those are for latter.

Thanks for listening, forgive the spelling
The only way I know of in which a healthy TiVo will not record something scheduled is if there is too much content flagged KUID. On the few instances where I have been in this situation, TiVo warned me that "[X] wouldn't be recorded". I can't say that the warning shows up in ALL cases but it does in SOME cases.

Obviously, the "solution" is to reduce use of KUID. If the TiVo(s) are on a home network, you can use the computer's harddrive for long-term storage and free up some of TiVo's storage. Why are you using KUID so much? Maybe you need to give your TiVo a harddrive upgrade.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #19
WayneCarter

Quote:
My app groups space into one of seven categories.
In Progress
Save until I delete
Current
Expires Soon
Expired
Suggestion
Estimated Free (based on maximum space ever consumed for this tivo)

This is displayed in a pie chart in that order. While Estimated Free is not going to display much with suggestions turned on, you can easily see what you consider free space due to the grouping of the pie slices.
Would "Recently Deleted" help any? (Assuming RD is even accessible)
Old 03-05-2008, 08:35 AM   #20
jbcooley

Quote:
Would "Recently Deleted" help any? (Assuming RD is even accessible)
Recently Deleted programs don't appear to be available for transfer. I use the hmo protocol to get recording information, and didn't see a way to get that information.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #21
classicsat
Astute User

I have used three Disk usage meters:

Autospace on my S1s.

TiVoWebPlus

TiVoPlayList on my Series 2s.

The common element is they, in some fashion or another, indicate KUID, regular recordings, Suggestions, and actual free space (including RD).
(TWP in text, the other in a bar or pie chart)

I, if I want to, I can easily interpret Suggestions as free space.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #22
jbcooley

Here's a picture of the application running on a series 3 tivo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DiskUsage1.jpg (9.0 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by jbcooley : 03-09-2008 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Changed to better image
Old 03-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #23
jbcooley

It appears you have to be logged in to see the attached file. Here is a link to the screen shot on my project page.

http://code.google.com/p/tivo-sdks/wiki/DiskUsage
Old 03-15-2008, 06:07 PM   #24
HellFish
I can dress myself.

Wayne,

What's wrong with jbcooley's example? It seems to cover all of your questions in Post#6. I have a Dtivo, so I can't use his tool. I use TivoWebPlus, which shows the space used & space available in a similar break down. I wish TiVo would bite the bullet and just show us the breakdown of our space. I don't need to know how many hours free I have, I just like to know what % space is available. Every other DVR I've ever seen shows the % of space available, which makes it odd that TiVo does not.

Below is an image of what TWP displays. For each category, it includes:
Type of recording-----#of shows-----amt of used memory-----% of used memory-----appx # of hours

See? Viewing free space is not as complicated as some people here make it sound.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:21 PM   #25
WayneCarter

Quote:
What's wrong with jbcooley's example?
There's nothing wrong with it. On the other hand, does it really help someone who doesn't understand how TiVo manages disk space and expects a PC/MAC-like free space number? His example shows "0% free" (as would many TiVos, most of the time - both of mine certainly would). "0% free" would appear to mean "forget about being able to record anything else", but my TiVos happily continue to record everything scheduled.

I'm not defending TiVo's lack of disk space reporting. I do feel that "free space" is much less important than it is on conventional computers, and suspect that many who request a "free space" indicator are unfamiliar with TiVo's automatic disk management. Further, given TiVo's automatic disk management functionality, the definition of "free space" is quite personal - I consider "free space" to be "disk space occupied by suggestions, programs on the recently deleted list, and programs which have reached their KU dates - I am generally comfortable with TiVo automatically deleting shows, and am more concerned that it records what is on the "To Do" list. If I don't what something deleted, I set it to KUID and delete it when I no longer need it. Others may only consider disk space not currently occupied by any program (other than programs on the recently deleted list) to be "free" (ie they are most concerned about shows being automatically deleted).

A further reality is TiVo's "forecasting" of its ability to fulfill the "ToDo" list. I, for one, find it far more helpful to know that TiVo "will be unable to record <x> on <y>" or that "<x> will be deleted on <y> so that <z> can be recorded" than it would be to know that (right now) there is <x> "free space" (by any definition).

See? Viewing free space is more complicated than some people here think it is.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #26
HellFish
I can dress myself.

I am well aware of with TiVo's automatic disk management. I'm also generally ok with the TiVo deleting stuff as it needs to, but certain situations are rather stressful for a TiVo with more than 1 person using it. A perfect example is those of us that record sporting tournaments. Recording 3-6 three hour events each day for a few weeks can quickly kill any free space you think you have.
Quote:
His example shows "0% free" ... I consider "free space" to be "disk space occupied by suggestions, programs on the recently deleted list, and programs which have reached their KU dates
Looking at the TWP pic I posted, creating one additional line in Space Summary titled "Total Available Disk Space for New Recordings" and including what you have described would be sufficient. I agree, this line would help clarify things for the user. The break down all these homemade programs provide is good because you can see where you have space to spare.
Quote:
A further reality is TiVo's "forecasting" of its ability to fulfill the "ToDo" list. I, for one, find it far more helpful to know that TiVo "will be unable to record <x> on <y>" or that "<x> will be deleted on <y> so that <z> can be recorded" than it would be to know that (right now) there is <x> "free space" (by any definition).
Do stand alone units have the feature I put in bold? When I had a 40GB drive, I remember only seeing it while setting manual recordings, and it was deleting something before it had a delete flag. I don't think there is a way for me to know what the TiVo has already recorded, has a delete flag set to it, and will be deleting the old show make way for new shows. Knowing if you are running into the problem, by showing what "free space" we have, lets us know if we need to increase our TV viewing!

Quote:
See? Viewing free space is more complicated than some people here think it is.
Touché. However, I find suggestions useless, and I'm happy I have an option to turn them off. You find any type of hdd space summary useless, but it's obvious others do not.

I think you're suggestion in post 6 might help alleviate some situations "a set of "watched" flags that could be used by family members to indicate they have (or want to) watch this show." but that sounds more complicated then the simple feature we are currently requesting.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:39 PM   #27
WayneCarter

Quote:
... certain situations are rather stressful for a TiVo with more than 1 person using it. A perfect example is those of us that record sporting tournaments. Recording 3-6 three hour events each day for a few weeks can quickly kill any free space you think you have.
I understand. I'm not sure that a "free space" indicator will really help, but you seem to be, so OK.

Quote:
Do stand alone units have the feature I put in bold? When I had a 40GB drive, I remember only seeing it while setting manual recordings, and it was deleting something before it had a delete flag.
It's been a while since I have seen it (or something like it - I don't remember the exact text), but there is (was) a message to the effect that TiVo will have to delete a show early (ie prior to its KU date) in order to record a given new show.

Quote:
You find any type of hdd space summary useless, ...
Not at all, but I have doubts as how much a simple "free space" summary will accomplish - at least without a LOT of thought put into its design and implementation.

Quote:
I think you're suggestion in post 6 might help alleviate some situations "a set of "watched" flags that could be used by family members to indicate they have (or want to) watch this show." but that sounds more complicated then the simple feature we are currently requesting.
A simple binary word added to the directory record could do a pretty good job. Each user is assigned a bitmask (user-1 = bit0 (1), user-2 = bit1 (2), user-3 = bit 2 (4), ... ). If user-3 indicates he wishes to see a show, his bit is set in the bitmap (map = 4). If user-1 also wants to watch the show, bit 1 also gets set (map now = 5). When user-3 finishes with the show, he "deletes" it, which clears his bit (map then = 1). Since the map is not 0, the show is not deleted. User-1 watches and "deletes" the same show, bit 0 is cleared. Since the map is now zero, the program is deleted.

The complexity would be operational - users would have to identify themselves. On the other hand, having users identify themselves would open the door to a number of other enhancements (personalized wishlists, suggestions, NPLs, etc). Would it be hard to implement - not really. Would it get used much - I doubt it.

Last edited by WayneCarter : 03-16-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:33 PM   #28
lrhorer

Free coronary

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellFish View Post
I don't need to know how many hours free I have, I just like to know what % space is available.
And every other individual has some other metric they would like ot apply to the notion of "Free Space"

Quote:
Every other DVR I've ever seen shows the % of space available, which makes it odd that TiVo does not.
No other DVR I have seen can do the things which make the notion of "Free Space" an obsolete and obscure notion. The Tivo can. Top fuel dragsters don't come with curb feelers, either.

Quote:

See? Viewing free space is not as complicated as some people here make it sound.
I think most users who so frequently request a free space indivator would have a coronary - or at leat an apoplectic fit - if they looked at a free space indicator like the one shown above. All they want is something which says, "xx hours free". Note also while the above chart does list expired suggestions, it doesn't show unexpired suggestions, which I think many or perhaps even most people would consider "free". Or not.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:15 AM   #29
HellFish
I can dress myself.

In my last post, I equivocally conceded that the OP and others who use the phrase "Free Space" are probably asking for the wrong feature. A "space summary" would be a better term. I do agree that the summary I displayed is designed more for the geeks, but you can make it less complicated and also make a note that "ALL PERCENTAGES & HOURS AVAILABLE ARE ESTIMATE"

I don't record suggestions, which may be why there is no indication of recent, or "unexpired suggestions" in my snapshot. You are correct, it appears TWP does put recent & "expired" suggestions in 2 categories, but I currently can't confirm this. The only reason I keep 2 suggestions on my Tivo is to show guests one of the features of what the TiVo is capable of. For the sake of this debate, and to satisfy my own curiosity, I just turned suggestions back on, but the 1st suggestion won't record until 10:30. I'll report back the results later this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
No other DVR I have seen can do the things which make the notion of "Free Space" an obsolete and obscure notion. The Tivo can. Top fuel dragsters don't come with curb feelers, either.
Please to explain your statement. What does a Tivo do that makes the notion of free space obsolete that no other DVR service does? Tivo takes advantage of free space with Suggestions, but if Tivo did offer a space summary, any space filled by "Suggested Shows" should still be considered "free space" or "space available for recording". That is, after all, the official Tivo® stance on Suggestions.

And I know more about computers and hard drives than cars, so your analogy doesn't make sense to me. I would think top fuel dragsters still come with gauges to indicate the status of specific liquids they use (fuel, oil, nitrous, etc.), which is more along the lines of what we're asking for. I would consider curb feelers to be more like asking for voice prompts for Tivo's menus. Both of them are for old people .

note: I do know what I'm arguing for is a losing battle, if TiVo hasn't offered this "feature" yet, they never will.

edit: TWP does separate suggestions into 2 categories.

Last edited by HellFish : 03-23-2008 at 10:31 PM. Reason: results of TWP & new suggestions.
HellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:35 AM   #30
lrhorer

Suggestions

Quote:
Please to explain your statement. What does a Tivo do that makes the notion of free space obsolete that no other DVR service does?
1. It allows the user to decide the hierarchy of deletion in a couple of different ways (KUID, Keep at least..., suggestions, etc.)

2. It makes room for suggestions by deleting suggestions but nothing else. It deletes the oldest suggestions first

3. Unless every existing program is KUID or Keep until..., it deletes first suggestions in chronological order, then expired scheduled programs in chronological order, then unexpired scheduled programs in chronological order. It will never delete a KUID, and won't delete a program specifically tagged as Keep Until... until after it has expired.

4. If the user schedules a program which requires the early deletion of a program not specifically marked as KUID or Keep Until, it warns the user of the impact and specifically which programs will be deleted earlier than expected, excluding suggestions.

Quote:
Tivo takes advantage of free space with Suggestions, but if Tivo did offer a space summary, any space filled by "Suggested Shows" should still be considered "free space" or "space available for recording". That is, after all, the official Tivo® stance on Suggestions.
Well, sort of. Certainly that is one valid way of looking at it, but it is not the only way. In terms of classical PC thinking, it isn't at all what is meant by "Free Space". Free space in the PC world is any regions occupied by a combination of unallocated space and deleted files. The point is, it's quite up to interpretation.

Quote:
And I know more about computers and hard drives than cars, so your analogy doesn't make sense to me. I would think top fuel dragsters still come with gauges to indicate the status of specific liquids they use (fuel, oil, nitrous, etc.)
No, the instrumentation is strictly limited. In a run only lasting 4.5 seconds, the driver has no time to read gauges or act upon their readings. What's more, while the rate of fuel consumption during the run is unbelievable, the total amount of fuel used is still quite small compared to a 500 mile race, and more importantly is quite predictable. They know how much fuel they need for the race (just under 23 gallons, total for warm-up, staging, and run), and barring a fuel system rupture, no dragster ever runs dry on fuel before the finish line. Besides, as I said before, what if it were about to run out of fuel 3 seconds into the 4.5 second race? What are they going to do about it? Pull over to get gas?

Not only that, but at speeds over 300mph, taking one's eyes off the track is a good way to get one's self killed. I'm also not sure how well any driver could read a gauge at 5.7G, especially in only 4.5 seconds. They may have a tach and a manifold pressure gauge, but nothing for the run beyond that, if even that. Most do have oil, engine, supercharger, and exhaust temperature gauges as well as an oil pressure gauge, but these are used prior to the run to make sure the engine is properly warmed up and ready to race, not to tell the driver what's going on.

Top fuel dragsters do not use nitrous. They use exclusively liquid fuel (nitromethane and methyl alcohol). Pro Modified racers are allowed to run either nitrous or a supercharger, but all Top Fuel racers run superchargers with nitromethane fuel.

Quote:
which is more along the lines of what we're asking for. I would consider curb feelers to be more like asking for voice prompts for Tivo's menus. Both of them are for old people .
Well, my point was a little old lady / man car is unlikely to have much muscle, and curb feelers may be handy for that type of car. Like the dragster, the TiVo packs as much muscle is available in its type of machine, and the features of the device and how it is intended to be used make a free space indicator on the TiVo nearly as unnecessary for it as curb feelers on a dragster. I wasn't really talking about who drove them, but rather the capabilities of the machine.

Last edited by lrhorer : 03-23-2008 at 02:41 AM.