TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-28-2008, 07:24 PM   #181
richsadams

When everything has been fine for a time and then things go south my guess is that the FIOS signal is being adjusted by Verizon and has nothing to do with the end-user's setup. IIRC other posts (on this thread, or maybe another) mentioned that Verizon was becoming more aware of the "hot" signal strength issues and were making some changes. Even the normal cableco's do that on a neighborhood basis on occasion, although theirs is usually in response to a weak signal.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:11 PM   #182
robostock

[quote=Thos19;6325275]I've had FiosTV since March and experienced pixelation for the first time last night. QUOTE]

I also live in MA and experiencing pixelation with my FIOS. I don't have any attenuators so a service call may be in order.

OBTW: The channels were UHD and Discovery HD. Coincidently I think it started happening with the removal of the analog channels.

My question is:
Would the removal of the analog affect the signal strength or quality in anyway?
robostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:06 PM   #183
hmm52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thos19 View Post
I've had FiosTV since March and experienced pixelation for the first time last night. Thanks to this thread, I was prepared with attenuators, and fixed the problem...for now.

What is bugging me is this: Why did I not have a problem for the first few months? It seems like it should be either my signal is either too hot, or not. It shouldn't suddenly manifest itself out of the blue. I doubt that Fios suddently decided to boost my signal yesterday and cause the problem. If it is the tuner section in my Series 3 being inadequate to the task, is it a function or the circuitry "wearing out" over time from receiving a hot signal, and the eventual solution will have to be a new tuner board? Or perhaps the next generation of Tivo will be the solution as it may or may not have a better built tuner section?Thos.
I concur with Rich. Since signing up with FiOS 11/06, the signal from my central office has varied quite a bit. First 8 months were perfect. Rough patch of tiling/pixelation July/August last year. Catastrophic in November. Mild episodes after that. Pretty good for last 2.5-3 months. TiVos, HD & S3, are very sensitive to signal level. The task is easier if you've only got high level signals, not combined with ones too low.

I do have an S3 with one bad tuner. It's weaknesses haven't changed since being put into service the beginning of February. Tiling or no tune on the same channels as always.
hmm52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:48 PM   #184
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
When everything has been fine for a time and then things go south my guess is that the FIOS signal is being adjusted by Verizon and has nothing to do with the end-user's setup.
Your speculation makes sense, but is still confusing to me. Maybe someone with more detailed FiOS knowledge can jump in.

My basic understanding is that FiOS TV is delivered to the ONT on the side of your house over fiber. Then the TV channels are converted into RF and sent over your coax cable to your TVs.

So does the FiOS system have the capability of remotely adjusting the RF signal strength in your ONT? Or is something else going on?
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:57 AM   #185
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
So does the FiOS system have the capability of remotely adjusting the RF signal strength in your ONT? Or is something else going on?
No idea, just a theory. But if attenuation can address the issues at one point and then things get bad and removing the attenuation makes things right again...my WAG is that the signal has changed.

They just laid FIOS in our neighborhood and I'm itching to jump on board, both for the (mostly) unadulterated TV signal as well as the big broadband "pipe". All this chatter still makes me think they haven't ironed out the fine points yet, so I'm a bit nervous.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #186
webin

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
All this chatter still makes me think they haven't ironed out the fine points yet, so I'm a bit nervous.
Even on their worst day, I'd take Verizon over Comcast.
webin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:21 AM   #187
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by webin View Post
Even on their worst day, I'd take Verizon over Comcast.
Good point!
Old 06-02-2008, 10:12 AM   #188
Thos19

Well, I'm still having problems with pixelation even after the attenuation. Looking at the Hi-Def channel tier (which is all I really watch), it only happens on the local channels. Once I get to channel 825 and highter (TNT, HDNet, HBO) the reception is flawless with zero uncorrected and corrected errors. As a couple others on this thread have noted, it happens on one card in my Series 3, but not the other. I guess that is better than nothing.

I have a call into Fios to try to get someone out to my house and maybe dial down the signal strength. Then I guess I'll try the attenuation route again.

At least the pixelation didn't start until after I had watched season finale of LOST.

Thos.
Thos19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #189
mazurkr

off topic somewhat...

but this thread came up in a google search for "fios lake oswego"

for those portland-area members, can you answer a coupla questions for me?

1 - i see fios is coming to lake oswego. is it also coming to west linn? if not, why not, as all the surrounding communities seem to be in the pipeline.

2 - for fios vs directv, will i be able to have access to midwest (specifically michigan) sports on any of the hd channels with fios, as i could get with the nfl and nba packages on directv?

thanks in advance!
mazurkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #190
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazurkr View Post
this thread came up in a google search for "fios lake oswego"
You may (or may not!) get better answers in this thread on avsforum.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #191
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazurkr View Post
off topic somewhat...

but this thread came up in a google search for "fios lake oswego"

for those portland-area members, can you answer a coupla questions for me?

1 - i see fios is coming to lake oswego. is it also coming to west linn? if not, why not, as all the surrounding communities seem to be in the pipeline.

2 - for fios vs directv, will i be able to have access to midwest (specifically michigan) sports on any of the hd channels with fios, as i could get with the nfl and nba packages on directv?

thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forum!

They've been busy installing FIOS in our part of LO for a couple of months now but haven't made it available yet. My brother-in-law lives in Wilsonville and had FIOS installed in his neighborhood about a year ago. Seems there's no rhyme or reason to the roll-outs except possibly permitting, available funding, etc. I'm sure West Linn is on the list, but who knows when it will appear.

No idea about the specific sports programs, but I'm looking at a Verizon brochure I picked up at one of their stores and it lists an add on premium offering called "Sports Package" for $7.99/mo. which offers 13 channels: Fox College, Sports (Atlantic, Central and Pacific), Outdoor, Sportsman and more. A Verizon CSR may or may not be able to answer your specific question and as Phantom says, the AVS Forum might get you some more info.

This Verizon link has a listing of HD and SD channels as well.

Last edited by richsadams : 06-05-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #192
hmm52

You think Verizon may be withholding an offer because they know you'll be a demanding customer?

I wouldn't put too much stock in Fox Sports Net programming. ESPN passed on some tennis tournaments earlier this year that they traditionally carried. FSN picked them up. What a disaster. Their scheduling (and sticking to it) and coverage was abysmal in every respect. The local high school geeks could have done better. At the time I signed up, Verizon offered a significant discount if you signed up for both the movie & sports packages. I think FSN is done on an arcane regional basis. In Philly the association is with Comcast Sports Net - one of the channels that commonly pixelated with Phila. VHO. Each cable area's coverage is different; unlikely to be as broad as with satellite.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:23 PM   #193
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm52 View Post
You think Verizon may be withholding an offer because they know you'll be a demanding customer?
What makes you think that?

A Verizon FIOS installer of some nature was actually working on something in the little box/hole in the ground in front of our house when I went outside to get the mail. I asked her when she thought things would be up and running and she said everything will be active by the end of this month (June); then they have to run tests and such. She also said that she had heard about me and was disconnecting our house permanently. Kidding. She said that we would be able to get FIOS access about mid July or so. Sigh. Can't wait!
Old 06-05-2008, 04:26 PM   #194
hmm52

Your house will be disconnected permanently - from copper cables. Several summers ago, we had a nasty storm which felled many trees and utility wires. The power outage was expected to last 6 days, but ended at 4. The ONT UPS gave out at 8 hours or so. Only phone and Internet back then. T-Mobile service quit immediately; I guess the hamsters running the cell tower's generator took off with the wind. Dry ice and lanterns. Camping out for adults in home.

You should stay committed to griping at least a little. Verizon seems pretty pleased with themselves over FiOS TV. Apparently they've dropped their request_and_send IPTV deployment as if the plan never existed. Has to be good news for cablecard users. They don't see a "business case" for changing much. I haven't heard of any plans to increase QAMs at VHOs and COs so a significantly expanded lineup may not be a priority as well.

I saw some pixelation on an ESPN2HD recording for only the second time through the S3, yesterday. Since it was very occasional and limited, I wrote it off as source related. We'll see. I haven't heard back from exec's office about new replacement. Probably busy with the THD video freeze challenge.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #195
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
I haven't heard of any plans to increase QAMs at VHOs and COs
Eh? They're doing that right now, in conjunction with the analog shutdown.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:51 PM   #196
Deanq4
TiVo Lover!

richadams:

I am in Forest Grove and they allowed me to get fios about 2 weeks early. Ask the techs for the number (will see if I can find it and PM it to you) and get signed up to get it a little before others. I was the first person in Forest Grove to get it and they were shocked that I was getting it. So it never hurts to bug them a little about the dates, they may even have a tenative roll out date set up.

They were great about the install too, jut be sure to give them a heads up that you have TiVo and want the cards, the guys I had actually enjoyed the tivo set-up (it went easy) and said off the record that they wished the set top boxes were as nice as the tivo's.

Live music is better! It's all one song!
Deanq4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:37 PM   #197
hmm52

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Eh? They're doing that right now, in conjunction with the analog shutdown.
I just noticed Verizon's statement of today - 25 or so HDs to be added starting in July as analogs are progressively closed out region by region.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:29 AM   #198
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanq4 View Post
richadams:

I am in Forest Grove and they allowed me to get fios about 2 weeks early. Ask the techs for the number (will see if I can find it and PM it to you) and get signed up to get it a little before others. I was the first person in Forest Grove to get it and they were shocked that I was getting it. So it never hurts to bug them a little about the dates, they may even have a tenative roll out date set up.

They were great about the install too, jut be sure to give them a heads up that you have TiVo and want the cards, the guys I had actually enjoyed the tivo set-up (it went easy) and said off the record that they wished the set top boxes were as nice as the tivo's.
Thanks for that...but I'm still a little leery of being the first on my block to get it. I yearn for that big broadband pipe and better HD PQ to be sure. But honestly, everything I have (Comcast triple package) is working without any issues. I'm worried about trading that for the possible problems I've read about here. I may wait a tad longer to see how it works for my neighbors. Sounds like your setup is humming along though which is encouraging.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:49 AM   #199
Thos19

Well, Verizon came out to my home to see my pixelation. Coincidentally or not, my pixelation started at the same time Verizon dropped the analog channels in my area, according to the technician. He said there was a new "filter" to put on the line that Verizon had been using recently in response to pixelation complaints. He also said my ONT was outdated (I had internet 2 years prior to TV being offered), and should be swapped. He did the work in about 30 minutes.

I really had my doubts that it would work, but the pixelation is completely gone for the moment, even with all of my attenuators removed. SNR still floats above the magic 31/32 (closer to 35/36), but I have zero uncorrected and zero corrected errors showing on the diagnostic screens.

Don't know how long this will last, but I'll keep the attenuators handy.

Thos.

Last edited by Thos19 : 06-12-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #200
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

It seems they often do the ONT swap, just because it's one of the few things they can actually do there at the customer's premises -- not because there's actually anything wrong with the ONT. However, as I understand it, the newer ONTs have a slightly less hot TV output.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #201
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thos19 View Post
Well, Verizon came out to my home to see my pixelation. Coincidentally or not, my pixelation stated at the same time Verizon dropped the analog channels in my area, according to the technician. He said there was a new "filter" to put on the line that Verizon had been using recently in response to pixelation complaints. He also said my ONT was outdated (I had internet 2 years prior to TV being offered), and should be swapped. He did the work in about 30 minutes.

I really had my doubts that it would work, but the pixelation is completely gone for the moment, even with all of my attenuators removed. SNR still floats above the magic 31/32 (closer to 35/36), but I have zero uncorrected and zero corrected errors showing on the diagnostic screens.

Don't know how long this will last, but I'll keep the attenuators handy.

Thos.
Good post...thanks for that. Seems that they might be getting a handle on things.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #202
JonHB

I found out last night that a few of my recordings were missed because Tivo stated that there was no signal. Sure enough, the channels in question were completely black, not even pixelated. I removed my 10db attenuator and the channels came back. However, I now have pixelation on a new set of channels (different ones from when I first put the attenuator on). Yep, I'm starting to think there was something changing on VZ's end as well. I'm in SoCal, and unfortunately, I don't follow the news on the analog disco dates so I don't know for sure if that is related. My pixelation is now on Showtime HD and I'm probably going to drop those channels anyways...
JonHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #203
ilh

Based on another thread in this forum, it would appear this "filter" is a low-pass filter so MoCA signals don't mess with the TiVo's tuners.
ilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:25 AM   #204
hmm52

Correct. In November one marked "Low Pass Filter 5~860MHz" was installed between splitter and feed from ONT. A few cable ends, splitter, router, and ONT were also swapped out for updated models in November. None of it made one iota of difference. The number and severity of tiling channels remained exactly as they were for weeks. It all cleared overnight a few days later. A tech said that the problems had been corrected at CO. Later I found out that some using Motorola boxes had difficulties in many, not all, areas served by VHO8 during the same period - to about the level seen on the Sonys, not the mess on the Toshiba. The S3 would have fried or been comatose had it been in place then.

I have been expecting a flurry of pixelation when Verizon drops the analogs, 6/23 here, then adds new channels later. I wasn't expecting it this soon. The FO men's final was a disaster throughout (tiling wise also). I was a jackass for not recording on antenna channel or backing up on one of the Sonys. Complacency. Tiling and no tune has coincided with changes made at VHO. I agree that Verizon in particular has challenged the TiVos' tuning abilities. But am I the only one disappointed by TiVoJerry's post a few days ago? His suggestions are appreciated and they're not inaccurate. Missing though was an acknowledgement that, in terms of QAM tuning, Tivo is bringing up the rear. To me this apparent acquiescence doesn't bode well for TiVo's current or future products. Bicker recently listed robustness as his top priority. I would settle for competitive performance. In the meantime I hope VHO8 and the Ambler CO get their acts together. Or it will be a rough summer for the S3.

Last edited by hmm52 : 06-13-2008 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #205
richsadams

Quote:
I would settle for competitive performance.
Here, here!
Old 06-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #206
hmm52

No reason for anybody out your way to be apprehensive about new installs. You might remember that my best stretch with FiOS TV was the first 8 months. Perfect. Error free (except for billing of course). And VHO8 - Philadelphia has a well earned reputation for [insert slanderous noun of choice here ____________] and it seems VZ is dragging its heels on updating early COs. Mine 3 years old now. So what's life like in/on Lake Oswego?
Old 06-13-2008, 05:48 PM   #207
richsadams

Yep, still looking forward to FIOS' big pipe and lotsa HD channels. Life is good here...last weekend it snowed not too far from here. This weekend it will be 80 degrees or so. Other than that it's all good! (I usually hate that saying, but it applies at the moment.)
Old 06-16-2008, 07:24 AM   #208
Thos19

Well that was brief.

My pixelation is back, as before. Noticed it as I was about to watch the NBA finals last night. It was only happening on one tuner, so I simply watch the game on the "good" tuner.

(sigh) Guess I gotta try the attenuators again, tonight.

Since this all started when they dropped the analog channels in my area, I wonder if things might improve when they add the new HD channels in early July. I can hope, right? Right?

Thos.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:03 AM   #209
ilh

After reading about how MoCA can adversely affect the THD's tuners, I disconnected my FiOS-supplied ActionTec router from the coax. (It is connected to the ONT via Cat5 since I had FiOS internet long before TV was avilable.) After returning all my FiOS STB's, there was no point in having MoCA any longer for me.

Anyways, after doing this, I don't believe I have seen a single RS uncorrected error for several days. Before, I would get a few thousand over the course of a 4-hour NESN recording. The last several times I've checked, my RS uncorrected/corrected errors have been 0/0, even after 4-10 hours on channels that used to show occasional minor pixelation and RS uncorrected errors (e.g., NESNHD, DSCHD, etc...).

I think there is something to this MoCA interference, or at least ActionTec interference. Maybe I'll try removing my attenuators now.

--Lee
ilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:17 AM   #210
Thos19

The only pixelation I get is on the local HD channels 802-808. Anything above is perfect with no errors corrected or uncorrected.

I have my FIOS internet in the same set up as you, ilh, as I had it a year before FiosTV was made available in Abington, MA. Cat5 cable from the basement. Fios is just coaxial cable from the street.

I don't know much about MoCA. Care to elaborate further?

Thos.

Last edited by Thos19 : 06-17-2008 at 11:29 AM.