TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #811
Ziggy86

So most people have this issue with HBO HD? Same issue with HBO HD on FiOS?
Ziggy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #812
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy86 View Post
So most people have this issue with HBO HD? Same issue with HBO HD on FiOS?
The HBO and Cinemax channels are highly compressed everywhere. HBO East and West should look a little better on FiOS, but the other HBO feeds (converted from 6Mbps MPEG-4) are probably comparable to what you are accustomed to with Time Warner.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:28 AM   #813
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
The HBO and Cinemax channels are highly compressed everywhere. HBO East and West should look a little better on FiOS, but the other HBO feeds (converted from 6Mbps MPEG-4) are probably comparable to what you are accustomed to with Time Warner.
Why are the East and West coast feeds different from the rest of the country? Or are you saying that the main HBOHD feed is less compressed than the HBO "sub- channels"? Am I making any sense???
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:42 AM   #814
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

He's saying that the main channels are sent from HBO in MPEG-2, while the others (HBO2, HBO Comedy, etc.) are sent as MPEG-4, which Verizon then has to reencode to MPEG-2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:22 AM   #815
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
He's saying that the main channels are sent from HBO in MPEG-2, while the others (HBO2, HBO Comedy, etc.) are sent as MPEG-4, which Verizon then has to reencode to MPEG-2.
Thanks for the explanation! One more question if you have a chance...

Which adversely affects picture quality the most: The re-encoding (codec switch), or the feed being shrunk "(converted from 6Mbps MPEG-4)"?
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:28 AM   #816
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I don't think the premise of the question is quite right. Both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 are lossy, and there's no getting around that. MPEG-4 should, in principle, preserve more of the quality at a lower bitrate, so that 6 Mbps of MPEG-4 is equivalent to some higher rate of MPEG-2 -- you might suppose that to be 12 Mbps, for comparison, but there's no exact equivalent. So, assuming that the main HBO channel is MPEG-2 at 12 Mbps, it might be about the same quality as HBO 2 in MPEG-4 at 6 Mbps. Then, since not all their equipment can handle MPEG-4 yet, Verizon reencodes the MPEG-4 channels to MPEG-2, necessarily resulting in a (small) loss in quality. But that would be just as true if they were reencoding an MPEG-2 channel, or any other source.

In practice, all the HBO channels look pretty good to me, and I haven't noticed the difference between HBO and HBO 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:53 PM   #817
JAB
TiVoist Emeritus

Anyone else on FiOS experiencing video that gives the impression of missing frames? It's hard to describe. Not pixelation or stuttering, but jerky motion, like frames are being dropped, particularly noticeable during scenes with lots of motion. I'm experiencing this intermittently with programs recorded in HD from major networks. As an example, it was very noticeable for me with the most recent episode of Fringe.

I'm using a TiVo S3 with the most recent software, and I'm in the Northern Virginia area.
JAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:45 PM   #818
aaronwt
HD Addict

I didn't notice anything on fringe. But I also output at the native resolution and use my DVDO EDGE to scale up to 1080P.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:45 AM   #819
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post
Anyone else on FiOS experiencing video that gives the impression of missing frames? It's hard to describe. Not pixelation or stuttering, but jerky motion, like frames are being dropped, particularly noticeable during scenes with lots of motion. I'm experiencing this intermittently with programs recorded in HD from major networks. As an example, it was very noticeable for me with the most recent episode of Fringe.
I had no trouble with the latest episode of Fringe.

Are you using a 120MHz or 240MHz LCD? If so, you may notice jerky motion with certain display settings. For more information, refer to the AVS owner's thread for your particular display.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:43 AM   #820
evlg

I have seen dropped frames/stuttering without pixelation ever since 11.0d came out.

My suspicion is that the "fix" for pixellation just converts the problem into a stutter or dropped frame, which is maybe more tolerable.
evlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:01 AM   #821
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by evlg View Post
I have seen dropped frames/stuttering without pixelation ever since 11.0d came out.

My suspicion is that the "fix" for pixellation just converts the problem into a stutter or dropped frame, which is maybe more tolerable.
The "fix" included new tuner improvements to better handle the FiOS signal. That eliminated massive RS Uncorrected errors that caused pixelization. If you aren't seeing RS Uncorrected errors on your DVR Diagnostics screen, then you you should see the signal exactly as delivered. If you're still seeing larger numbers of RS Uncorrected errors (i.e. tens of thousands), then those could cause dropped frames.

Stutter can also be an early indicator of internal or external drive failure; stutter is common on My DVR Expanders that are starting to fail. As mentioned above, various display settings on some popular Samsung, Sony, and Toshiba 120-240MHz LCDs will also cause stutter with certain signals regardless of your box and provider, which you can read more about on the AVS Forum.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:04 AM   #822
JAB
TiVoist Emeritus

The TiVo was sending 1080i to a Denon 5308, which uses a Realta to convert to 1080p/60, before delivering the signal to a Sony VPL-VW200. The Sony upconverts to 96 Hz / 120 Hz and refreshes at 192 Hz / 240 Hz.

I don't think this is a settings issue. I normally don't let the Sony process the picture any further, although I've played with Motion Enhancer in an attempt to get rid of the problem. With Motionflow off, the Sony just repeats frames to reach 120 Hz / 240 Hz. And, the only thing I'm permitting the Realta to do is deinterlace and scale.

I too thought that 11.0d might have been simply masking the pixelation by dropping overly pixelated frames. That's certainly what it looks like. I'll take your word that it doesn't.

The effect is 100% reproducible on replay.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:29 AM   #823
bkdtv

Quote:
The TiVo was sending 1080i to a Denon 5308, which uses a Realta to convert to 1080p/60, before delivering the signal to a Sony VPL-VW200. The Sony upconverts to 96 Hz / 120 Hz and refreshes at 192 Hz / 240 Hz.

I don't think this is a settings issue. I normally don't let the Sony process the picture any further, although I've played with Motion Enhancer in an attempt to get rid of the problem. With Motionflow off, the Sony just repeats frames to reach 120 Hz / 240 Hz. And, the only thing I'm permitting the Realta to do is deinterlace and scale.

I too thought that 11.0d might have been simply masking the pixelation by dropping overly pixelated frames. That's certainly what it looks like. I'll take your word that it doesn't.

The effect is 100% reproducible on replay.
If you're still seeing RS Uncorrected errors, then you could have dropped frames. I assume you've tested the TiVo without a My DVR Expander to rule that out as a possible cause.

Have you disabled the Denon's video processing to rule that out as a cause? [Yes, I realize that Realta HQV should provide excellent deinterlace and scaling.]
Old 10-03-2009, 10:51 AM   #824
JAB
TiVoist Emeritus

Removing the DVR Expander will be a real PITA. I'd like to exhaust everything else first, especially since I don't think the DVR Expander is the problem. Would you expect a hard disk issue to be 100% reproducible on replay and so intermittent? My past experience has been that such problems were in the signal before it reached the hard disk.

The problem only occurs on some channels some of the time. I don't think I've ever seen it on anything other than a broadcast network, which tends to point the finger at the broadcaster or FiOS, although it could be something like the 11.0d issue.

It did occur to me, as I posted my last message, to completely disable the Realta and let the projector do the deinterlacing. I'll try that. Good suggestion.

I should probably mention that I'm particularly sensitive to these types of issues, so a significant percentage of other people watching the same material probably wouldn't notice it, especially if they were viewing it on a smaller screen.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #825
bicker
Gruff

The problem is that exhausting everything else first means trying your local cable company next, to see if you have the same problem. If you do, then you are back to it being most likely a DVR Expander problem (or perhaps a hard drive problem, I suppose). It seems to me that divorcing the DVR Expander is a less draconian test scenario than switching providers would be.

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #826
bkdtv

If you see this issue primarily (or only) on broadcast networks, you might connect a set-top antenna to the TiVo to compare feeds. Verizon FiOS passes local networks as is, so if you see the same issue on a secondary source, that would rule out a signal problem as the cause.

If you're within 15 miles of the broadcast networks, you might try small set-top antenna like this ($11.99).
Old 10-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #827
JAB
TiVoist Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
The problem is that exhausting everything else first means trying your local cable company next, to see if you have the same problem.
Perhaps "everything" is too extreme a statement. How about everything less inconvenient first? I wouldn't certainly divorce the DVR Expander before switching providers. However, there are a number of things that can be done short of switching providers.

Quote:
If you see this issue primarily (or only) on broadcast networks, you might connect a set-top antenna to the TiVo to compare feeds. Verizon FiOS passes local networks as is, so if you see the same issue on a secondary source, that would rule out a signal problem as the cause.
I have a nice rooftop antenna with amplifier that often does a good job of pulling in signals, although I haven't used it since getting FiOS. The only reason I haven't tried the antenna yet is the problem is so intermittent, that I'm not really in a position to record every show twice, from two different sources. However, that is another excellent suggestion, so I'll put it in the queue. I really appreciate your insights on this.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:31 PM   #828
JAB
TiVoist Emeritus

OK. First, I'm a moron. Fringe is broadcast in 720p, which means the S3 was converting 720p to 1080i before the Realta ever saw the signal. The very first thing to try would be native output from the TiVo. Unfortunately, the episode in question was deleted, so I'm at the mercy of the problem surfacing again for more diagnostics.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:43 AM   #829
richsadams

Quote:
Unfortunately, the episode in question was deleted, so I'm at the mercy of the problem surfacing again for more diagnostics.
It's not in the Recently Deleted folder?
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:44 AM   #830
evlg

Quote:
The "fix" included new tuner improvements to better handle the FiOS signal. That eliminated massive RS Uncorrected errors that caused pixelization. If you aren't seeing RS Uncorrected errors on your DVR Diagnostics screen, then you you should see the signal exactly as delivered. If you're still seeing larger numbers of RS Uncorrected errors (i.e. tens of thousands), then those could cause dropped frames.

Stutter can also be an early indicator of internal or external drive failure; stutter is common on My DVR Expanders that are starting to fail. As mentioned above, various display settings on some popular Samsung, Sony, and Toshiba 120-240MHz LCDs will also cause stutter with certain signals regardless of your box and provider, which you can read more about on the AVS Forum.
When I see the problem RS Uncorrected Errors is reported as 0.

I never noticed this problem before 11.0d, and it started happening as soon as I received 11.0d

I don't have any fancy 120hz or 240hz equipment and I certainly haven't modified any settings.

It really feels like to me they just tweaked the tuner to stop reported RS Uncorrected errors in this instance, and drop the frame to "fix" the pixellation issue. I.e. hide the symptom if they couldn't fix the problem.

Does anyone remember the original Quake 1 QTest? When the framerate got low, a turtle icon appeared. They implemented some optimizations after that, but the biggest change they made was the remove the turtle icon. When the final version came out everyone said "hey no more turtle!" and it sure felt faster.
evlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #831
JAB
TiVoist Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
It's not in the Recently Deleted folder?
Nope. First thing I checked.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #832
Dmon4u
Unresponsive User

I always wonder about the level of frustration with FiOS and TiVo HD. Mainly because more often than not I read about people and their FiOS DVR: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23128345-Had-enough
I deeply appreciate all well-wishers.
Dmon4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #833
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon4u View Post
I always wonder about the level of frustration with FiOS and TiVo HD. Mainly because more often than not I read about people and their FiOS DVR: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23128345-Had-enough
Agreed. Ours has been almost flawless since our install almost six months ago (even before v11.0d). Just wish we'd made the switch sooner.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:12 PM   #834
Floridaman

Quote:
I have FiOS and received the 11.0d update yesterday.

I was previously able to eliminate 99+% of all pixelization with 16+dB attenuation. Without this attenuation, most channels exhibited massive pixelization and some channels would not reliably tune.

I did not notice any problems post-install. To test potential improvement with this release, I removed my attenuation this afternoon. To my surprise, I do not see any pixelization on any channel. I checked all my favorite channels for RS Uncorrected errors, and saw none except for occasional errors in the first second or so after tuning a channel. After the first second, there were no further RS Uncorrected errors. Channels that previously required some attenuation to tune...can now be tuned without attenuation and without pixelization.

Verdict: At least for me, the 11.0d update eliminates the need for attenuation. Pixelization is nowhere to be seen.
I have the Tivo HD XL model dvr. I am using it with Fios and it has the current software 11.0D My signal strength is 100% on all channels and I subscribe to every channel. The SNR reading is 37 on all of the channels. I haven't had any issues with pixellation but just in the past few days have noticed audio drop outs. The sound will cut out for a second then it is fine for a few minutes and then does the same thing again. Tivo is telling me that the signal is way too strong and needs to be adjusted with an attenuator. They also believe this will take care of the audio issue. I thought the 11.0D software addressed these issues. Is the audio cutting out a problem related to SNR or is there a problem with the Tivo unit itself? Should I get an attenuator and if so what db rating should I get?

Thanks
Floridaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #835
jayhajj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaman View Post
I have the Tivo HD XL model dvr. I am using it with Fios and it has the current software 11.0D My signal strength is 100% on all channels and I subscribe to every channel. The SNR reading is 37 on all of the channels. I haven't had any issues with pixellation but just in the past few days have noticed audio drop outs. The sound will cut out for a second then it is fine for a few minutes and then does the same thing again. Tivo is telling me that the signal is way too strong and needs to be adjusted with an attenuator...
Thanks
I have a Premiere with FiOS service and was getting 91% signal strength and 37db SNR. My TiVo was intermittently rebooting and hanging in the menu. When I contacted TiVo for support, the representative said it was because my signal was too high that and the extra processing power required to run the HD interface was too much for the TiVo. He referred me to this thread. Sounds like "Get attenuators" is right up on their list after "Pull the power cord". If this is so common, TiVo should stock them and provide for free or shipping costs only or partner with a company to provide a variety pack at a good discount.

I have three other Premieres that had been running the old menu with no problems but when I enabled HD menus on one, it hung too. When I disabled HD interface on the main TiVo for 4 days, it didn't have problems any longer either.

These Premieres replaced HDs that had functioned for 9mos with no problems.

I ordered one each of 3db, 6db, 8db, 10db & 12db attenuators from
http://www.cableandwireshop.com/cabl...20_db_pad.html
for $9.75 plus $3.39 USPS First-Class Mail Parcel shipping.
Ordered on Saturday and received them Wednesday. Chose these vs smarthome to have more flexibility with smalled sizes since I didn't expect to be using the 20db ones they included in their variety pack. With these you get a lot more specific in the db amount you use.

I added an 8db & 3db to drop the readings to 50% signal strength and 31db SNR. I guess the db ratings aren't an exact science so don't only order "X"db if you need to drop your SNR by "X". Are their any negative consequences to a 50% signal strength?

I'll update later once I confirm if the TiVo can run for a few days without a reboot or hang.

-Jay
jayhajj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #836
DeWitt

The reboot and hang issues in the premeire using HD menu's are well known and documented. Rumor is Tivo will have a fix soon. The Fios signal strength should not be an issue.

On my HD I removed all my attenuation after the software fix.

My new Premiere XL runs very happily in SD mode with signal strenght in the high 90's without any issue on Fios. I have been beating it up with channels that caused issues on the HD and have not yet had an audio/video glitch or freeze/reboot.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #837
richsadams

Agreed, the FIOS signal shouldn't be a problem at all. We have FIOS and our Premiere XL is doing fine...although the HDUI is pretty slow. Signal strength is 94% - 97% and SNR is 37 - 38 on both tuners.

Have a look at your RS Corrected and Uncorrected errors. The best experiment is to watch the 'offending' channel(s) live. As you start, go into DVR Diags and check the RS Uncorrected and Corrected counts. As you watch and see events, go back into DVR Diags and recheck the RS counts. Post back what you see. The RS Uncorrected counter counts how many times the demodulator was unable to recover any bit errors in the data in a packet. These events will likely result in macroblocking and at worst can cause the unit to freeze or reboot.

Not saying that attenuation might not fix things, but odds are it won't make much or any difference. An update may resolve things or it could be something else such as a hard drive.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:54 PM   #838
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhajj View Post
I have a Premiere with FiOS service and was getting 91% signal strength and 37db SNR. My TiVo was intermittently rebooting and hanging in the menu.
As noted above, there are known stability issues with the HDUI's TiVo Central. For now, the only solution is to switch to the "classic" SD interface under Settings -> Display.

TiVo says that it will have a fix for the HDUI instability later this month.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:25 AM   #839
jayhajj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWitt View Post
The reboot and hang issues in the premeire using HD menu's are well known and documented. Rumor is Tivo will have a fix soon. The Fios signal strength should not be an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Agreed, the FIOS signal shouldn't be a problem at all. We have FIOS and our Premiere XL is doing fine...although the HDUI is pretty slow. Signal strength is 94% - 97% and SNR is 37 - 38 on both tuners.

Have a look at your RS Corrected and Uncorrected errors...

Well after three hours with the attenuators, the HD menu hung. I have been assuming the box was wedged but I had a recording going this time and it was only missing the time from when I pulled power, so it appears the HD menu is all that is hanging. I have never gotten any RS errors of either kind and the TiVo rep was informed of this.

I called TiVo support to get additional assistance and the new representative said right away that this is a HD menu issue and attenuators were not needed and I could remove them. I complained that the previous rep had me waste money and wanted some credit or discount to use at the TiVo store, maybe for a $10 shirt or something. He put me on hold for a minute and came back, oh yes, I did need the attenuators.

TiVo had no ETA on the fix and I complained that if I wanted the classic interface, I would have stuck with my four HDs! I also mentioned my 30 guarantee and what if I wait 2 months and their is no fix. He noted on my account, so if the fix isn't soon, I can return them.

I can't believe a major bug such as this slipped by QA. They mush have really rushed this out. Why?

-Jay
jayhajj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:33 AM   #840
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhajj View Post
I have never gotten any RS errors of either kind and the TiVo rep was informed of this.
Really? Zero errors? With FIOS? That is very unusual by itself...but really neither here nor there I suppose.

Historically TiVo has always been able to address issues like this and there's no reason to think that they won't this time. It's never soon enough but I'm pretty certain they will take care of it...hopefully sooner than later because it is quite frustrating at the moment.